• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming gain change

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why aren't taming gains determined by fighting with your pet instead of taming stuff that has no use?
You have to control the pet to fight with it, so basing gains on that is legitimate
It would be the same way a swordsman naturally gains - by fighting progressively harder enemies
I was thinking of creating a character on a shard where I have no other characters and was thinking of a tamer. But what can a tamer with 50 skill fight that matters? So the only thing to do is to raise taming. And the only way to do that is to tame thousands of animals you have use for, until you finally pass GM and can tame a pet that's finally useful. Seems a waste.
So again, why not base taming gains on controlling the pet you have instead of taming stuff that's a waste of time?
Has this idea ever been discussed?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always thought that it would be nice to be able to based on the control chance when giving the "kill" command... unfortunately that lends itself to extremely easy abuse in order to macro up skill...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm thinking the command could be linked to the fame of the target, and it would take more than the command - maybe actually killing the target. Kill harder things, gain?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can "sort of".
The new mastery is a form of control and you can gain to 120 by using it and any animal........I recently found out :D
17 years and I finally have a 120 Tamer.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can "sort of".
The new mastery is a form of control and you can gain to 120 by using it and any animal........I recently found out :D
17 years and I finally have a 120 Tamer.
Gaining through the mastery is nice and fairly fast, but that sadly only works from 90 and up.
And by Odin's beard, it is a chore to get to 90 through the traditional way.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gaining through the mastery is nice and fairly fast, but that sadly only works from 90 and up.
And by Odin's beard, it is a chore to get to 90 through the traditional way.
Surely this day and age if anyone was going to make a Tamer they would use a Mythic token to start with? there's your 3 taming skills at 90 to start with. ;)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Off Topic: I've always wanted to gain fame and karma by taming. Isn't turning a creature from the dark side more important than killing it?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Off Topic: I've always wanted to gain fame and karma by taming. Isn't turning a creature from the dark side more important than killing it?
Nope, turning a creature to the Dark side to kill for you is joy incarnate. :devil:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Surely this day and age if anyone was going to make a Tamer they would use a Mythic token to start with? there's your 3 taming skills at 90 to start with. ;)
True, if I needed another tamer now that's what I would do. But I was particularly talking about ways to make 0 to 90 more sensible and profitable and actually enjoyable. But you're probably right, it's in Broadsword's interest to keep it like it is so people will have to keep buying those mythic tokens.

Fwoosh

Visitor
I mean you put 30 skills on jewelry means you only need to get to 60 and if you start from 50 with a new character it's not nearly as bad as you'd think.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean you put 30 skills on jewelry means you only need to get to 60 and if you start from 50 with a new character it's not nearly as bad as you'd think.
Indeed, combine this with Scrolls of Alacrity and/or Trancendense and you're really fast into the area where the mastery works.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only Ninjitsu or Bushido was as quick to get to 120..... :/

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You need 90 real skill to be able to use the mastery. That wouldn't do.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Right - still my point - how to make 0 to 90 more sensible and profitable

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ideally, you should gain on taming and lore by issuing commands to your pets, based on your control chances.
That would make gaining between 0 and 90 so much more doable.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ideally, you should gain on taming and lore by issuing commands to your pets, based on your control chances.
That would make gaining between 0 and 90 so much more doable.
Exactly - if they can come up with a way to prevent gaining by spamming commands - maybe linking the commands with killing monsters to gain - then you're gaining skill while doing something profitable

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly - if they can come up with a way to prevent gaining by spamming commands - maybe linking the commands with killing monsters to gain - then you're gaining skill while doing something profitable
Regardless of whether it was command or target based it would be easily exploited. IMO, that shouldn't matter... most skill gains have the same issue. Taming should have a way to gain skill by hunting with the pet you tamed between 0-90.