• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DAOC's Most Recent Producer Letter

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was poking around the DAOC site looking for any recent announcements on their anti-macro group policy and read the most recent Producer's Letter from last month. It's always interesting to see DAOC developments that are also in the works for UO. Dark Age of Camelot

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So they did a pet revamp, and now gotta redo it...interesting

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the way that Producer talks to his people the way he should, like "they" are the actual , you know, customers. He doesn't appear to talk down to them, just my opinion of course. :pirate:
I couldn't agree more. It bothers me the way a certain current Producer disrespects UO players and has been known to make fun of and "talk down" to such players.
Just another day of asking is it worth staying? I barely play my home shard, EM events have become multibox infested, bug list keeps growing instead of being reduced, and the talk of becoming F2P has me less than thrilled about the future of UO. I'm trying to hang in there to reach 20 years. :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I couldn't agree more. It bothers me the way a certain current Producer disrespects UO players and has been known to make fun of and "talk down" to such players.
Just another day of asking is it worth staying? I barely play my home shard, EM events have become multibox infested, bug list keeps growing instead of being reduced, and the talk of becoming F2P has me less than thrilled about the future of UO. I'm trying to hang in there to reach 20 years. :(
Pretty much sums up how I feel... been bored to tears of late... don't care for anything new it's just a massive grind and waste of time and effort... and as Smoot pointed out why bother when you can just buy whatever you want from a scripter for next to nothing.... and that price will go down over time as the market becomes more flooded and the "rich" of UO buy off all they wanted.... eventually the price will drop to something more reasonable for the rest of us... (Sorry Smoot but I'm not paying 150M for anything.... castle maybe but that would be about it... 150 mill for one item when with as many characters as I have I'd need 10 or more of is a NO ..... hence my getting P.O.'d about most of the content being a grind... 200 hours to get one item you need when you need 10 and you are looking at thousands of in-game hours grinding the same boring thing over and over and over and over.... is NOT fun)... I'd rather be spending my time RPing and hanging with friends. But there is little for a group to do anymore... try doing the roof but the more people you bring the worse the rooms are to the point you can't do them... Doom now same problem... how many more area's are going to be destroyed for groups? I give up.

And I have been actively searching for another game... however there is NOTHING that comes anywhere near what UO was... NOTHING. But I keep searching...

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...another useless advert for a cheap "wana be" UO game

As a reminder this is UO general discussion forum.

If you like to share you thoughts about the weather in Siberia ask the stratics devs for your own forum.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you like to share you thoughts about the weather in Siberia ask the stratics devs for your own forum.
I posted the link because Dark Age of Camelot is run for EA by the same company that runs UO. The two games share the same account management system and probably run their communications with EA through the same team of people and share other personnel (GM team?) as well. DAOC will be celebrating its 16th anniversary this fall, so it has been around for quite a while.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted the link because Dark Age of Camelot is run for EA by the same company that runs UO. The two games share the same account management system and probably run their communications with EA through the same team of people and share other personnel (GM team?) as well. DAOC will be celebrating its 16th anniversary this fall, so it has been around for quite a while.
Good for them, but do we talk about fifa2017 under uo general discussion forum?
EA never collaborated to improve UO imop

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I like how you took the information and applied none of it.

Well done...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DAOC and UO EC share quite some codebase. Both build upon the Gamebryo game-engine, using lots of Mythic code, etc.

My wild guess is that UO only made it because Broadsword (i.e. people around Rob Denton) actually wanted to save DAOC and UO was pretty much a sidekick, fed from the same trough.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the way that Producer talks to his people the way he should, like "they" are the actual , you know, customers. He doesn't appear to talk down to them, just my opinion of course. :pirate:
Oh, I just assumed she was RPing this entire time as the Queen of Britannia and never broke character.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'd rather be spending my time RPing and hanging with friends. But there is little for a group to do anymore... try doing the roof but the more people you bring the worse the rooms are to the point you can't do them... Doom now same problem... how many more area's are going to be destroyed for groups? I give up.

And I have been actively searching for another game... however there is NOTHING that comes anywhere near what UO was... NOTHING. But I keep searching...
I play with my friends as well...this has always been the core of the game to me. I do events for the fun and rp. Getting drops is not a concern.

I always return to UO. I have played: Asherons Call, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Conan Online, Vanguard, WoW, LOTRO, Star Trek Online and others I have forgotten. I echo what you said: only UO offers the varied sandbox gameplay that I desire.

It is easy to make your own fun in UO.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Attitudes are difficult to convey in written communication and so much of the interpretation is on how the reader reads it. I'm sorry some people feel the producer talks down to them. That is not my feeling when I read the UO producer letters.

I tend not to let a lot of negativity into my life, I don't see everything I read or experience in a negative light. Perhaps that's why I still genuinely enjoy playing UO and interacting with people on the shard.

Not so much in here of course. Too much spite and venom floating about.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Attitudes are difficult to convey in written communication and so much of the interpretation is on how the reader reads it. I'm sorry some people feel the producer talks down to them. That is not my feeling when I read the UO producer letters.

I tend not to let a lot of negativity into my life, I don't see everything I read or experience in a negative light. Perhaps that's why I still genuinely enjoy playing UO and interacting with people on the shard.

Not so much in here of course. Too much spite and venom floating about.

You do understand that they are not referring to news letters when they are talking about Mesanna talking down to players right?

Even in a personal email to her she straight out has lied (intentional or not) to me in reference to the spawn cap they tweaked a while back stating they did not change it. Only to recant when confronted about it.

I can specifically recall another instance where she shot down a player for suggesting they look at some free shards for ideas. I can also recall having that same conversation on Stratics a while back about her professionalism.

Put the rose colored glasses down once in a while, you'll see we're not all "Spite and venom".

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember her saying when asked why freeshards could do so and so, and have such and such-that it because they7 stole it from us.

Which begs the unanswered question, if the free shards stole it from us, why don't we have it also?

Just one of the things that make you go "Hmmmm"

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oki I'll give you that she's a bit short when people bring up freeshards. It's something she feels strongly about and I have to admit that if someone shoves something I don't like in my face I'm rather short in my response to them too. It's a part of being human.

I've been known to fume and snap a bit when people criticised the playguides I put my time and soul into in the past, these days I just think something rude and keep my fingers off the keyboard. Not my worry anymore.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
oki I'll give you that she's a bit short when people bring up freeshards. It's something she feels strongly about and I have to admit that if someone shoves something I don't like in my face I'm rather short in my response to them too. It's a part of being human.

I've been known to fume and snap a bit when people criticised the playguides I put my time and soul into in the past, these days I just think something rude and keep my fingers off the keyboard. Not my worry anymore.
Petra, that was just one example and the player was making a suggestion, there wasn't a need for to get short at all.

Please don't project your own situation on to hers. You were a volunteer, she is a paid producer.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DAOC and UO EC share quite some codebase. Both build upon the Gamebryo game-engine, using lots of Mythic code, etc.

My wild guess is that UO only made it because Broadsword (i.e. people around Rob Denton) actually wanted to save DAOC and UO was pretty much a sidekick, fed from the same trough.
I also think that Broadsword is quietly managing the Dungeon Keeper mobile app for EA.