• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Graphics card issue?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there still a forum for technical issues?

Anyways... I picked up a laptop on a good sale, was thinking of logging into uo and checking some stuff out with all the changes lately.

It's got an integrated Intel card and an Nvidia 960m. Any steam games or other games I've run on it I can force the Nvidia card to run the game, and lower processes like web browsing use the integrated for power saving I guess. I can force Firefox or any other app like the MS calculator to use the Nvidia card as a test, and it always shows the process is in fact using the Nvidia card.

No matter what I do I cannot get the uo classic client to run on the Nvidia card. Even if I force client.exe to run in the Nvidia card in its software, it never actually does, ever!

I downloaded the enhanced client and it runs on the Nvidia card just fine, but I didn't like it, never was a fan of playing in enhanced.

I found you cannot disable the integrated card because the Nvidia uses it to pass through (called Optimus). Normally I wouldn't care, but I do notice some graphics choppiness on the integrated Intel card even for classic client uo. I've still got a desktop but I like the freedom of not being stuck in my office to play a game

Anyone run into this or is it just a sign I need to not revisit this old habit of mine?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part I suppose of why I gave up using the CC years ago... the EC just runs 10X better on a more modern pc...

Now having forced myself to get used to the EC ..... I'll never go back. Even though the CC does now work ok on my pc.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the classic client is just choppy in general, any modern integrated graphics should have zero issue running it

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that very well may be true - i've been away for quite a while so it may be the same as it ever was, it just looks bad to me now.

it still bugs me i cant get that to work right =/

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Part I suppose of why I gave up using the CC years ago... the EC just runs 10X better on a more modern pc...

Now having forced myself to get used to the EC ..... I'll never go back. Even though the CC does now work ok on my pc.
im gunna hop on it again here in a few on this trial acct i made, but i literally cant 'see' anything in EC. its like everything is weird looking blobs or something lol

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mainly use notebook to play UO with CC, my old one is a samsung with GeForce in Win 7, and my new one is HP with Geforce 930mx in Win 10. Both are working smoothly, there is no issue. Both are using factory default setup, I did not force anything. I suggest you check if there is any driver update for your notebook or Anti Virus programs blocking the UO CC application.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I mainly use notebook to play UO with CC, my old one is a samsung with GeForce in Win 7, and my new one is HP with Geforce 930mx in Win 10. Both are working smoothly, there is no issue. Both are using factory default setup, I did not force anything. I suggest you check if there is any driver update for your notebook or Anti Virus programs blocking the UO CC application.
Norton actually detests UO... it's excuse is there are NOT ENOUGH USERS to deem it "safe"... guess that should tell us all something. Suppose if I were an optimist I'd say that most UO users don't use Norton... but rather makes one wonder.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Suppose if I were an optimist I'd say that most UO users don't use Norton... but rather makes one wonder.
No one should use Norton!

Norton is that armed bodyguard you hire, to protect you from danger and then on his first day at work, he yells: "Watch out, a lion!" and shoots your dog. :wink:

Try this free version of Avira and you'll never look back! :smile2:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Norton is that armed bodyguard you hire, to protect you from danger and then on his first day at work, he yells: "Watch out, a lion!" and shoots your dog. :wink:

Norton has never done me wrong... I've tried several other anti-virus programs over the years... some FAR too aggressive to the point you couldn't do anything at all... some wouldn't even let me get my email let alone play UO... Some overly complicated but more often than not many were lacking.... and left me open to nasty things... Norton has always done me right... always been willing to help me, to listen to my needs, even fix things that didn't have anything to do with viruses or them... they have been quite decent. While yes it can be a drain on the system and it is somewhat spendy... they have never done me wrong nor have I ever gotten a virus while using them. Least not one that has damaged my computer in any way that I'd notice or shall I say not one that they didn't halt instantly...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First thought was drivers, tried fully up to date and rolled back versions of both Nvidia and integrated

Definitely not av (I also recommend avira)

Client.exe is the only application I have seen not run off the Nvidia card when I want it to, even when I force all apps to run off Nvidia, client.exe runs off the Intel card. It's mind numbing.

Prolly doesn't matter, I ran around on a trial acct last night and got pretty bored pretty quick lol

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to say I gave EC a good chance last night too, and while I think the effects and the interface as a whole are pretty OK, I absolutely cannot get past how players look running around, especially mounted players. They like... Flatten out on top of their horse, and they have next to no detail. Looking at groups of players in Luna you can barely differeniate players from each other when they stand close together and the movement is not fluid AT ALL.

But the way chars look mounted is incredibly bad

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure why you you think it's not already using the card,
Maybe fiddle around in these settings?...

I'm not sure

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Acutally, call me a crazy idiot who knows nothing about technology, but i'm sure i found before on an old computer, if i ran the EC, it would run off the graphics card, then i found if i just minimised the EC and ran the CC, it would run off the graphics card also?

Disclaimer, i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

LOL, too funny. I have to say however that I use Norton, and love it. :) After a patch how ever, I DO have to tell Norton to "allow" UO.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mervyn, that Nvidia control panel gives you a tray icon that turns color when an applcation uses the Nvidia card, and if u click on it it shows u the process names. Client.exe never makes it on the list or shows it uses the card.

There are also 3rd party apps that can show you that info

I do actually work in this field and am normally pretty good at this stuff, but this one has me stumped lol