• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

With the possible High Seas changes coming.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can we also get "uses" on cannons, similar to the Vet reward crafting machines ? Why shouldn't I be able to load up my cannon with 50 or 100 of each material component. I still accept that I should have to make all the clicks to fire the cannon, but I shouldn't have to carry that crap in my pack. It makes no sense. Do I really have 75 cannon balls, heavy charges and fuses in my little pouch ? You sure ? Plus you've still got that bug with heavy charges that you guys won't fix. I know this isn't just happening to me. You take them off of the painting and they weigh 10x their regular weight, until you pick them back up and drop them.

:pirate:

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just want crab traps to stack when emptied.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Auto-stacking the trap when it is emptied would be nice, but there's a lot of other things I'd rather see.

What I want is for generic lobsters and crabs to disappear at GM or Elder fishing, and have all crabs & lobsters be useful types.

The Devs really need to watch "The Deadliest Catch" some time - real crabbers' catch is over 90% the species they are going for, with most of the bycatch being the occasional fish or other crab/lobster species that aren't in season.

I'd rather have fishing resource squares act similar to lumberjacking/mining land ones for crab & lobster.
  • 1-3 named types per square as the majority of the catch
  • the other 9-11 as occasional exceptions for that square, even occasionally a fish or fishing/aquarium rare
  • rare types being more likely
  • less trap loss - disconnect trap loss from duration, and duration from quality of catch.
  • A chance after each full cycle (to be determined) for the crustacean types to change.
  • Making crustaceans worth more, and removing the 100 use cap on bait rewards (the point system as defined at Bioware Mythic when High Seas was announced is different from the point system many players use. Many players use the bait uses as the basis for their system (a 2 to 180 point system), but the official numbers are twice those (5-360 points), with bait cups having uses equal to 1/2 the point value, capped at 100 - so that you lose the point value for bait rewards over 200 points.
  • Also, making the bait bonus MUCH higher. I think the problem may be that some devs think that bait adds x% to the chance, instead of multiplying the existing chance by 10x%. There's a big difference between raising a chance from (for example) 3% greater additive (0.1% to 3.1%), and 3% greater multiplicative (0.1% x 103% = 0.103%). Similar mistakes were made with the Human/Elf ore split, after all (humans don't get a flat 20% colored ore, with elves getting 40% - instead every vein has its own percentage somewhere between about 0% to about 80%, with Elves getting 20% more digs, and the color chance is 1.2x the human chance for that vein)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Please leave Corgul alone with this "revamp".
By all means, don't touch him at all. He is very fun to fight as he is now, and I would rather that he continues being a fun fight rather than a bore.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to see the removal of unnamed lobster and crabs... it's ridiculous...

I'd also like to see baits and such have more of a bonus... seriously with all the added clicking you have to do it's GOT to be worthwhile... The chances now at 120 natural fishing with the suit, with the bait, on the right boat etc... is abysmal... I used 3k in bait charges trying to get a zombie fish..... I got 1 10 casts in that was 10stones... NEVER caught another..... that's not just bad RNG that's abysmal odds.

I'd like to see where you can set a fishing pole to use "X" bait.... by right clicking it telling it use bait, target bait to use... and it'll keep using it until I either right click it and say don't use bait... or I run out of bait.

I'd like either the entire floating dock moved down to the SW of Jhelom or there to be a quest guy at one of the Jhelom Docks for doing the pirate quests... sailing from Jhelom to the Emporium is a SNORE... and it's just not right... you don't have to do that in Tokuno.

I'd like to see new rewards for the fishing... maybe some new books (with tales of fishing that maybe lead to something fun)... and some neat stuff for deco... etc... new paintings would be nice.

Whales! Giant Sea Turtles! Sharks!

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never minded the unnamed crabs and lobsters. I use them to turn into the library so one day I can get a Brit ship. They are 10 points each and I don't have to waste the ones needed for trade orders. If we could only donate the footwear fished up, I'd have 10 Brit ships by now.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see a change in the footwear drop rate, you should not catch shoes when you are a legendary fisherman, that just doesn't make sense or make it as the poster above says, make them a library turn in or at least make the clean up points they give now worth something, now it's peanuts and not even worth the time to turn them in.

Drops like the scales, small fish and shoes should be TOTALLY disabled when you are using bait. I average 25 to 40 non-fish catches on approximately 200 bait charges, that's not fair, especially on a legendary bait that is difficult to get.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste - you said - I'd like to see where you can set a fishing pole to use "X" bait.... by right clicking it telling it use bait, target bait to use... and it'll keep using it until I either right click it and say don't use bait... or I run out of bait.

I think you use the EC so just make you a bait macro that you change the bait kind on. I have one that is 3 stages long and repeats 3 times so 30 casts and it works great but your idea is better, let's hope they do it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I want a pirate coat and a <name> "the Pirate" and "Captain" <name> titles. Would also love to see the pirate bounty list updated to include more recent EMs.

Easier cannon use. 'Nuff said.

I'm not much of a fisher despite many efforts to get into it, so I don't have much to say there. New Eodon fish maybe?

I second the wish for Corgul to be left alone. He's far and away my favorite boss in the game. In fact, I wish more bosses employed something akin to Corgul's keying method: it's not an endless farm or a series of quests that gets painfully tedious after the first few times. One person grabs a map and everyone hops on a boat. Love it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they added a mastery skill that gave % gains and odds off getting better catches that would be

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are we ever going to be able to swim ?

Other sandbox games you can...

While there at it make it so we can lay down on beds, jump, and duck down.......

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right now there is absolutely ZERO reason to use bait, even with the fisherman's suit on (which is +50% bait strength) your best outcome is a 6% chance. Six. Whole. Percent.

Realistically, if you're going for a rare fish/lobster, you might as well not use bait as the chance is less than 1%. So the suit, at best, would be 1.8%.

:facepalm:

Bait should be +15-30%. So the Fisherman's Suit has a reason to exist as more than a digital dust collector.
Also, make bait MUCH easier to use. WAY TOO MANY CLICKS!

Streamline cannons down to 2-3 clicks.
Streamline ammo creation down to 1-3 steps. (LOWER THE AMOUNT OF SALTPETER NEEDED!)
Add a method of getting to the Sea Market without a ship. The novelty wore off about two days after HS was released...

Boost the loot on both NPC ship types. It's embarrassing. Add in a rare chance to find a random artifact from the pool of Champ/Boss mob drops.
Add undead pirate ships. (Pre-build additional content for easy insertion around Halloween)
Add a sea-based champ spawn somewhere on the Britannian ocean (there are vast tracts of useless water)

Rework the pirate hunting quest so its not a near-pointless waste of time. Add a bounty hunter NPC to the southern dock of Jhelom, the Trinsic dock and the Serpent's Hold dock. Up the bounty to considerably more than 10k. Ditch the "special" cannon ammo...its another embarrassment. Add nautical title deed as a reward (Choose from: Captain, Commodore, Admiral, the pirate, the scallywag, the bilge rat, the bootlegger, etc.).

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they are going to fix High Seas then Charybdis should be revamped. Considering how much time/effort/work goes into summoning/finding him and killing him the loot is terrible. The few times I have helped kill him everyone's boat was destroyed for some "rare" crab meat.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right now there is absolutely ZERO reason to use bait, even with the fisherman's suit on (which is +50% bait strength) your best outcome is a 6% chance. Six. Whole. Percent.

Realistically, if you're going for a rare fish/lobster, you might as well not use bait as the chance is less than 1%. So the suit, at best, would be 1.8%.

Bait should be +15-30%. So the Fisherman's Suit has a reason to exist as more than a digital dust collector.

Streamline ammo creation down to 1-3 steps. (LOWER THE AMOUNT OF SALTPETER NEEDED!)
Add a method of getting to the Sea Market without a ship. The novelty wore off about two days after HS was released...

Boost the loot on both NPC ship types. It's embarrassing. Add in a rare chance to find a random artifact from the pool of Champ/Boss mob drops.
Add undead pirate ships. (Pre-build additional content for easy insertion around Halloween)
Add a sea-based champ spawn somewhere on the Britannian ocean (there are vast tracts of useless water)

Rework the pirate hunting quest so its not a near-pointless waste of time. Add a bounty hunter NPC to the southern dock of Jhelom, the Trinsic dock and the Serpent's Hold dock. Up the bounty to considerably more than 10k. Ditch the "special" cannon ammo...its another embarrassment. Add nautical title deed as a reward (Choose from: Captain, Commodore, Admiral, the pirate, the scallywag, the bilge rat, the bootlegger, etc.).
I can't argue with any of these ideas. I don't see how our current Dev team doesn't think like this, unless as I've said before, they simply don't play the game. :pirate:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As for the bait and bait suit, I wonder how much fishing you have done with and without it to justify just throwing it away. Myself, I believe that even any small chance at a better chance of catching is worth wearing it. I certainly can verify bait works from my experience in fishing contests and normal day to day rare fish hunting. For the super rare fish, it is hard to see but it's there, you need a large sampling to make a decision that is works or doesn't work and because the RNG is used in this endeavor, well no more needs to be said, Draconi said it was broke and it has never been fixed to this day.
but yes it definitely needs a boost and I totally agree with you on the other points.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't remember the bait or fish I was after, but I had the imbue suit on, the correct bait x500, even got on a tokuno ship because its rumored to help. I didn't catch a single fish of that type and burned, and it wasn't a high end one either. I haven't used bait since.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't remember the bait or fish I was after, but I had the imbue suit on, the correct bait x500, even got on a tokuno ship because its rumored to help. I didn't catch a single fish of that type and burned, and it wasn't a high end one either. I haven't used bait since.
This has been my experience nearly every time... Like I said in my post 3k in bait I caught one 10stone zombie fish 10 casts in ..... and NEVER caught another... nearly 3k in castings afterward... was NOT impressed... odds like that are just irritational and honestly makes people not want to even bother at all... and like I keep saying about the grinding... it is NOT fun... it's boring and unnecessarily tedious... the more and more the game is shifted to massive long grinds to accomplish simple goals... the more and more people grow bored and quit playing. There has GOT to be a better balance of work vs reward. Honestly I find that it's too time consuming to bother with most things anymore... I don't have 48 hours to spend trying to get 1 lousy fish. RL and other obligations leave less time for play and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in that... and spending countless hours with no return of reward well... IMO is a waste of time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like I mentioned earlier, there's too much failure even with a supposed 6%.

I really do believe that instead of the bait and suit bonuses being added, the base chance is increased by that much as a multiplier (instead of increasing the chance 5% from 1% to 6%, it's multiplying 1% by 105%, to get 1.05%). Something similar happened with mining and the difference between human and elf colored ore percentages.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
all these ideas are pretty good but this fish scripting needs to be addressed. any changes means nothing without changes/enforcement. it is amazing that someone can script from day one of high seas, getting thousands of ancient sos, many 60k deeds of horn leather and unlimited fish to turn in and never be caught this whole time. simply amazing. most changes will probably mainly benefit the scripter like always. there really isn't anything that can really kill u.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to have fish changed back to weighting 1 stone. Fishing has become very annoying. I'am constantly busy dragging stuff out of my backpack and feeding shoes to my goat. That is annoying. I liked to watch a movie on a split screen ..

all these ideas are pretty good but this fish scripting needs to be addressed. any changes means nothing without changes/enforcement. it is amazing that someone can script from day one of high seas, getting thousands of ancient sos, many 60k deeds of horn leather and unlimited fish to turn in and never be caught this whole time. simply amazing. most changes will probably mainly benefit the scripter like always. there really isn't anything that can really kill u.
Please stop bringing up the scripter topic. The current dev team will just screw fishing up even more. Everything they changed to fight scripters has only ruined the gameplay for the regular players. I simply don't care for scripters anymore. If the dev team doesn't care why should I? They should ban the cheaters and delete their stuff instead of implementing more complicated crap.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
QFT! Makes me shudder everytime I think about them changing anything nowdays
Me too because it always ends up helping the cheaters and making everything else a massively boring grind that has little to no reward... sucking all the fun out of the game for me.

Gee I spent 2 days grinding out getting keys for exodus... Oh sweet what did you get?..... NOTHING. Yep that's right 2 days of work for a big FAT nothing. This is generally how the game goes for me... I swear all my accounts and all my characters must carry a negative 10 billion luck... No other explanation for why I used to grind 10 to 20 and more runs of Medusa, Doom, Lady M, or Travisty runs and get NOTHING... took me probably somewhere around 700 runs of Travisty before I finally got a crimmy... meanwhile everyone else with me would get stuff most of them had gotten 3 and 4 crimmy's. I'm doing as much damage or more damage than they are.... yet I get NOTHING. 3k in bait for Zombie fish..... I get ONE 10 stone fish 10 casts in... and then NOTHING... Not fun... no excitement... just bored to tears. Which is pretty much how most of my time in UO has been for the past 4 years. My only "light" of my time in UO has been the EM Events but 1 or 2 hours a week on a Tuesday night doesn't seem to justify continuing to pay for the game... Yet my love for what was once my passion in my life the thing that held me together through raising 2 children by myself, the death of both of my parents to Cancer... and many other things .... keeps me here ..... hoping that the spark of yesteryear will return and that passion will come back. Guess that's why I get so cranky about things anymore.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I -really- like fishing as a concept and would love to see pirates and nautical rp become more viable and supported. I stopped fishing because the cost of time and gold that goes into it extremely out of proportion to what you get out of it. I'm not saying that everything has to turn a profit and I realize ships should cost upkeep/gold, but it seems really unbalanced and frustrating to me. Bait is seemingly pointless to use if the above %'s are correct.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are tools built into the EC that also allow you to semi-automate fishing. For example when I fish ALL I have to do is watch the screen for a sea serp kill it and continue on. Every twenty minutes grab the fish from my deck and throw in the hold. Thats it.

Yes a scripter has it even easier, but really, mass fishing in UO is quite simple and easy to do as it is with already available tools.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
these scripts run all day/all night, while at work ect... the amount of resources can be accumulated can not compare ec/cc. I know and agree ec makes it much easier. this and other features with ec/picos has really screwed over the classic client people. is why ive said before, if classic client people really knew what ec/picos can do they wouldn't be very happy. all that matters is thing to be fair or people will quit. you think we could have an approved legal program for cc to even the playing field. some of the features allowed in ec, would be illegal in cc and the only way cc can do this is to cheat. wth are we doing here. just my opinions.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bait boxes please or stackable bait
Bait is sorta-stackable (you click a bait, target another bait of the same type, and it combines to one cup) - it's just not UNStackable.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I need to stop with my BOD collecting obsession and get back to my relaxing fishing!