• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Boost to Loot?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So i've been hunting some stuff, Balrons, Greater Dragons etc in fel....

Pushing like 2700-2800 luck on the suit (with the statue) and the loot is really underwhelming. I don't see where the incentive is for people to go out and hunt like the old days.

You're better off doing Roof or Exodus and hoping things work out for you there in terms of drops, and worst case scenario you get some other stuff like a stat scroll or hawk wind robe to sell off.

I don't want to see a significant change so that legendary loot is dropping off every 3-4 drops but can we give it a nudge so that there is a bit better loot when you hunt things?

Side note: Maybe increase intensity with crafting to keep up with uber gear? Crafting is not the most appealing thing now because magic loot is so good now.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Cora could use a severe boost to her loot as well...
And to have her drop rate fixed... 30% drop rate... yeah... more like 3%.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And make SoS's and t maps worth doing again? If you don't get lucky enough to score a forged pardon, the map isnt worth doing
Forged pardons? I'm glad you mentioned that. I haven't played much in the last few months with RL and injuries and thought royal pardons had pretty much killed the market for forged pardons. They're selling for 475k and up on Atlantic today - not as good as I remember but as bad as I expected. Then we have the blue scrolls - I see magery for 2M and taming for 4M - really?

Seinken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I am not opposed to something like that, but to create a generator for items such as those to fit a theme like UO would be incredibly difficult. I was more referring to the actual game mechanics etc.

All we have are hard caps to aim for and nothing really more. Why not push the boundaries a little bit with the way modifiers work? They were getting there with items such as Anon's Boots or Minax Sandals (still insanely OP for the negative...)

Seinken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't hate that idea but I will say that crafting as it stands will -always- pale in comparison to monster loot as-is.

There needs to be a symbiotic relationship between monster loot and crafters, and vice versa. Your idea is a step in the right direction but more should be done (in my opinion) to keep things very fresh feeling.

Really, I think the games loot mechanic has the potential to be somewhat like a diablo 2.5 type of feeling (at least for PvE).

Example simple idea:

Code:
True Vampirism (Gorgets only)
All Fire Resist / 2
Maximum Fire Resist: -(2-7%)
(True Vampirism: legendary effect that grants Vampire form as long as the wearer has this item equipped)
Therefore to gain a 99 skill equivalent, you must sacrifice at a bare minimum 2 to your fire resist cap, and reaching said cap is made much more difficult, potentially closing off artifact paths.

You could make an item with this very unique (d2 legendary style) mod drop at a very rare rate along with all the global loot stuff as is now. Obviously an item such as this will be very desirable, however working it into suits will definitely not be easy... and finding a 'perfect' piece even more difficult. Add in the caveat that perhaps the item loses 10 durability points per repair or something and suddenly you have a fresh new source of unique desirable items that don't just lead to flat out power creep.

Imbuing overall really needs some incredibly hefty reworks to be viable past very beginner friendly suits. Reforging isn't really strong enough to ever justify using high end hammers with all mods maxed out either.

I totally dunno how I ended up writing this much about this... but really the loot system is my favorite part of the game and it could definitely be the linchpin (besides housing) that keeps the game super interesting for years to come

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cora could use a severe boost to her loot as well...
And to have her drop rate fixed... 30% drop rate... yeah... more like 3%.
Sounds pretty accurate, if you're trying for the "Artifacts" (pack-drops), it's much better to just kill the spawn in lv 3-4 covetous... It seems like the drop-rates have been significantly lower from Cora & Tram-Despise as well...

It's almost as if they're intentionally forcing the concentration of loot to shadowguard, Exodus & Shadowlord.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are hundreds of things that could be added to the game easily to make it more interesting and all but all in all what everyone is talking about is just more stuff...
Personally ... Instead of stuff... I'd like more reasons to get together with others in-game... Like ..... what if your odds of getting a drop improved the more people were doing it? How about more of that? Sadly I can see that being exploited by the multiboxers...

But on the subject of stuff... we all remember things like Glacial Staffs... everyone also knew that globes came on Liches... things like that are "fun" and interesting... but sadly that sort of thing seems to have gone. Its like getting Tribal berrys and such but the Tribal spears that once were neat along with the orcish bows and Juka bows have been left to oblivion... no longer good or decent... tribal masks were once a collectable... now no one cares. They aren't good for anything. It's sad though... it's stuff like that which made the game unique and amazing...

Seinken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At its core the only thing to entice more people to play is to simply add more 'stuff' to the game. It's far and away the easiest way to provide content for ALL players (solo and otherwise) outside of things such as maybe housing. It's something you definitely log in for and it gives you a potential goal after every single day. Simply giving out more loot with the current loot spreads does nothing but diminish the value of said loot, making people not want to login to obtain said (worthless) loot (solo or with friends), basically making everything else, in particular group play worse.

Group play -naturally- occurs simply from people logging in to play the game. If you cannot entice people to login and do things group play doesn't happen.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At its core the only thing to entice more people to play is to simply add more 'stuff' to the game. It's far and away the easiest way to provide content for ALL players (solo and otherwise) outside of things such as maybe housing. It's something you definitely log in for and it gives you a potential goal after every single day. Simply giving out more loot with the current loot spreads does nothing but diminish the value of said loot, making people not want to login to obtain said (worthless) loot (solo or with friends), basically making everything else, in particular group play worse.

Group play -naturally- occurs simply from people logging in to play the game. If you cannot entice people to login and do things group play doesn't happen.
Try taking a group somewhere... 2 people can pretty much anihilate all spawn in Destard in a matter of moments... then NOTHING spawns for up to 5 min at a time... the respawn rate is so low it's BORING... Things need to be geared more to the number of players in the area... if it's one keep the respawn slow... if there are 2 or 3 raise it a bit... if there are 4 or 5 raise it a bit more... etc... But instead no matter how many people are in the dungeon the respawn is pathetically LOW...

Same with most other places... either the spawn is too slow and too light.. or it's just completely INSANE... ever take more than 3 people into do the rooms in Shadowguard? It's insane... There needs to be a happy medium... There just are not good places to take groups anymore... Even doing a champ the spawn rate seems low... There are 2 decent things a group can do that's Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer and Corgul the Soulbinder... but if folk don't have High Seas they can't participate... Finding stuff that everyone can do gets difficult.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@the op, the biggest misconception seems to be that the use of high luck gives you better loot. While there can be some truth to that, what actually happens in most cases is a dilution of the loot pool from using too much of it. Try this out, as the fame levels increase, lower your luck...as the fame levels decrease, increase the luck. You should be able to find the balance you are looking for without need of boosting the loot. *tips hat*

Edit: Nothing wrong with lots of luck used when finishing off top tier mobs, such as peerless, champs, ect. Anything that has the opportunity to drop multiple legendary items can benefit from increased loot drops. Since legendary pieces already carry negative properties, diluting the pool with more items isn't such a drawback.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had a loot revamp and now need another. Before people would farm unbounds and now they farm exodus and SG. They need to look more into the item groups imo. I've had so many loot pieces (jewelry in perticular) where it's rolled with half mage mods and half dexxer mods. Also 95% of the loot weapons are total ****e.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Try taking a group somewhere... 2 people can pretty much anihilate all spawn in Destard in a matter of moments... then NOTHING spawns for up to 5 min at a time... the respawn rate is so low it's BORING... Things need to be geared more to the number of players in the area... if it's one keep the respawn slow... if there are 2 or 3 raise it a bit... if there are 4 or 5 raise it a bit more... etc... But instead no matter how many people are in the dungeon the respawn is pathetically LOW...
I always wished that there was a way you could take your guild, party up, and when you entered (pick dungeon here) have the option as party leader to have it open (like now) or instanced. Just seemed like it would be a blast to take a guild to the dungeon, or Tera Keep, whatever, and be able to do a real cleanout...no new spawn for that instance, when you clear a level, it is cleared. And when you get to the end, seems like it would be a nice sense of accomplishment.

Could also have the dead spawn corpses lay awhile letting the newer/poorer members recall out and back in a few times looting everything they needed for training etc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I always wished that there was a way you could take your guild, party up, and when you entered (pick dungeon here) have the option as party leader to have it open (like now) or instanced. Just seemed like it would be a blast to take a guild to the dungeon, or Tera Keep, whatever, and be able to do a real cleanout...no new spawn for that instance, when you clear a level, it is cleared. And when you get to the end, seems like it would be a nice sense of accomplishment.

Could also have the dead spawn corpses lay awhile letting the newer/poorer members recall out and back in a few times looting everything they needed for training etc.
Yeah .... things like that would be nice. Like I said I'd like to see things scale better to groups. It's hard to keep people focused and entertained when most the time they are standing around bored.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had a loot revamp and now need another. Before people would farm unbounds and now they farm exodus and SG. They need to look more into the item groups imo. I've had so many loot pieces (jewelry in perticular) where it's rolled with half mage mods and half dexxer mods. Also 95% of the loot weapons are total ****e.
They really should get rid of the mixed properties, yeah. Nobody will use those pieces ever.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, this game has always been based around the idea of being what you want. So in theory with the first sentence in mind, I should be able to find drops that cater to any build I decide to make. If I want to run a hybrid dexxer mage, or a musical dexxer, there should be pieces out there which randomly suit said template.

Yes, to some the mods might be completely horrible, to others that stuff is a dang gold mine!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've complained about that for ages... most of what I pick up lacks important mods...

But this goes back to I'm pretty sure the DEVs don't play the game and have no idea what makes a good combination on items.

They have no idea what we want on a weapon... I can guarantee that I don't want freaking resists on my weapon. That's for my suit... I put that on something I swap out of my hand and where does that get me? Vulnerable... that's where. Stupid.

I want a weapon to be fast, accurate, do some damage... I don't want it having all this hit point Increase and other crap on it... what a waste of mods... If it leeches stuff that's good... but again... FAST, Accurate, and yes if it doesn't have Mana Leech... I probably won't use it. Seems to me must weapons I find try to be mage weapons of some sort... but even then they lack the most important mod... SPELL CHANNELING.... what good is a mage weapon without that???

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We find quite a few items that are confused as to what they want to be when they grow up. would be nice if we could, after the RNG sets the weight of the item, imbue the useless mods off and replace them with what we need.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Side note: Maybe increase intensity with crafting to keep up with uber gear? Crafting is not the most appealing thing now because magic loot is so good now.
I agree. Raising the Imbuing weight limit to 600 or so would be a good idea.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree. Raising the Imbuing weight limit to 600 or so would be a good idea.
I would say more weight and maybe 6 mods would be a good start. It might make some weapons a bit OP though but armour not so much.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what if your odds of getting a drop improved the more people were doing it? How about more of that? Sadly I can see that being exploited by the multiboxers......
One thing that filters out much of things being multi-boxed, is if it is in an open area (that doesn't need keys or deep dungeons to run and get access for) in Felucca. Hard to multi-box during Virtue Vice fights unless someone is hidden/stealthed, but even then its not so automated.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think all the old dungeons could use a boost to the loot. Seems not many people go there these days. I'm talking about Shame, Hyloth, Destard, Wrong, etc. Very sad to see those places empty most times.

Also need loot bump for champs and Harrower

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wow crazy responses, had been off a bit, glad to see people feel for the most part the same.

There are hundreds of things that could be added to the game easily to make it more interesting and all but all in all what everyone is talking about is just more stuff...
Personally ... Instead of stuff... I'd like more reasons to get together with others in-game... Like ..... what if your odds of getting a drop improved the more people were doing it? How about more of that? Sadly I can see that being exploited by the multiboxers...

But on the subject of stuff... we all remember things like Glacial Staffs... everyone also knew that globes came on Liches... things like that are "fun" and interesting... but sadly that sort of thing seems to have gone. Its like getting Tribal berrys and such but the Tribal spears that once were neat along with the orcish bows and Juka bows have been left to oblivion... no longer good or decent... tribal masks were once a collectable... now no one cares. They aren't good for anything. It's sad though... it's stuff like that which made the game unique and amazing...
I think hunting used to be really fun back in the day, just want it to be a viable activity

BUT like you said, more stuff doesn't = better. We have tons of stuff in this game that could be repurposed to be fun again. I did suggest a revamp in a prior thread. New doom arties came but wanted to make the others more viable to compete with what is out there now.

I would like to do more things in groups too. Roof is a fun thing to do with the guild.

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
unfortunately they won't make it better loot because the basic formula of an item based game(what UO became) is to concentrate the better loot on the end game content (last expansion). We are playing a world of Warcraft type of UO right here, nothing will change to this point(yeah it sux

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well once EA/DEV's decided to move to the AoS formula and start down the road of adding all that junk to weapons and armor we have begun the seesaw of properties and boosts... boost the properties of weapons and armor..... boost the mob, weapons/armor/ mobs... and so on and so forth... everyone wants more more more..... better items= boring game mobs become too easy... Make better mobs... and they become too hard ..... people complain... so they boost the weapons and armor... but then it gets boring again..... so then they boost the mobs... The ball has already been pushed down that hill.... there is no getting it back up. Now they have boosted skills even... but where do you go from there? Eventually you reach a plateau where if you boosted something again it would be just ridiculous... You boost then the other skills of crafting to compete with boosted loot..... but then people just want more.... so you boost loot to compensate for it falling behind crafting.... who wants to hunt when they can make far better things that you get from loot..... but then the crafters complain there is nothing worth making and they are unhappy.... and then folk complain it's too hard to find good loot... so you boost crafting again...

On and on goes the never-ending cycle but when you sit back and look... it's still all the same.... nothing has changed... But the game has gone from simple fun and merryment to tedium and confusion.... things have suddenly grown so complicated and complex it's taken the fun from the game... and made it feel more like work. And you wonder how to go back to the simplicity and fun you had before. Not sure that's possible anymore.

Herp!

Journeyman
It might make some weapons a bit OP
This would allow people to run around with slayer ssi 3 leech hit spell 2h axes and things of the sort that are slow & high damage.. Not that I'd complain at all, I'll be happy to go out with a Halberd for Harry. Maybe keep weapons to 5...

Armor to 6 mods 600 weight would also be fairly excessive imo. If they require a legendary to start with and you can only choose to remove all mods & be allowed to reimbue with 6 mods at 600 weight, I'd be ok with that. But if I can just go grab any old piece of armor and put 6 mods on.. seems silly how easily I could max all my regens and have 150 str 150 dex 50-60 int 100-110 mana 210+ stam 150 hp and still be at 75 all resists/80 energy. Though I spend forever making my gear, maybe other people would be too lazy.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be good to introduce some sort of refinement to allow imbuing on all those Ilshenar drops with 500 max weight, and doom drops with 550 max weight. Right now, the max imbuing weight of doom drop is just 450, which is useless. This would give the return players feeling of continuity of the game.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be good to introduce some sort of refinement to allow imbuing on all those Ilshenar drops with 500 max weight, and doom drops with 550 max weight. Right now, the max imbuing weight of doom drop is just 450, which is useless. This would give the return players feeling of continuity of the game.
Oh please no. Have them just make the changes necessary to the drops themselves for us to imbue it...No more introducing new crafting stuffs and subsystems its already overrun with complexities