• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UI Simply Won't Save... help?

ChinaCat

Visitor
Sorry to bother you all with this, but as you can imagine, every single time I have to logoff and back on, it takes me a good 10 minutes to just setup the UI since it won't save it. Things I've tried...

I have to use the Enhanced Client since it's even worse with Classic because with Classic I can't even change resolutions without getting a fatal error. Using Windows 7 Pro.

1) Uninstalled, Reinstalled

2) Only logged in with my character on preferred shard after Install due to others telling me that having multiple characters with the same names on different shards can cause this.

3) Logged out in all ways; mainly, hitting ESC and selecting Log-off from Menu both at Inn's and Wild.

4) I've even loaded Pinco's Interface, thinking a third party approved one would work.

5) Asked for help at Support Broadsword, only to be told to ask Support UtimaOnline and neither helped me.

6) Run as Admin.

I am playing full-screen, highest resolution.

At a loss.

Any wisdom?

Thanks -CC

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you are putting in your user name are you putting a " " space after it? If you do it won't save.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
fatal error in classic client...
The error i think is in your system, we probably won't be able to diagnose the issue. It could be anything, are you using a heavy antivirus like norton or mcaffee? try uninstalling that.
However what i will say is... don't use Windows Vista, it is known to be horrific.
Sorry if that seems a little extreme, but there are many other benefits to using windows 7 or 10.

ChinaCat

Visitor
When you are putting in your user name are you putting a " " space after it? If you do it won't save.
Nope; just name with without ""

fatal error in classic client...
The error i think is in your system, we probably won't be able to diagnose the issue. It could be anything, are you using a heavy antivirus like norton or mcaffee? try uninstalling that.
However what i will say is... don't use Windows Vista, it is known to be horrific.
Sorry if that seems a little extreme, but there are many other benefits to using windows 7 or 10.
I'm actually using Windows 7 Pro. I made a mistake in my initial post and corrected it. I also tried disabling my BitDefender software; still won't save UI settings.

This is just nuts.

ChinaCat

Visitor
Yay, problem solved. In lieu of what Mervyn said, I continued to mess with my antivirus and once I further disabled other modules and (what I actually think did the trick) added the three .exe files to exceptions, got it all to save.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Cheers -CC

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you logout, the client attempts to write the data about your config to your documents area.

CC = C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\ACCOUNTNAME\SHARDNAME\CHARNAME
EC = C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\ACCOUNTNAME\SHARDNAME\CHARNAME

It sounds like there's a fundamental problem with your computer being able to write to these locations for some reason. You should ensure you have the appropriate permissions to write to these places and, failing that, perhaps deleting those folders entirely to cause it to re-write them. You can then monitor them and see whether those files are being created correctly.

EDIT: Just read you solved this. I'll leave this post here for reference in case anyone in future finds this thread as it contains relevant info. I'd suggest your security program was preventing the client from writing to these places, for some reason.

ChinaCat

Visitor
When you logout, the client attempts to write the data about your config to your documents area.

CC = C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\ACCOUNTNAME\SHARDNAME\CHARNAME
EC = C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\ACCOUNTNAME\SHARDNAME\CHARNAME

It sounds like there's a fundamental problem with your computer being able to write to these locations for some reason. You should ensure you have the appropriate permissions to write to these places and, failing that, perhaps deleting those folders entirely to cause it to re-write them. You can then monitor them and see whether those files are being created correctly.

EDIT: Just read you solved this. I'll leave this post here for reference in case anyone in future finds this thread as it contains relevant info. I'd suggest your security program was preventing the client from writing to these places, for some reason.
Exactly. Yes, I think my BitDefender was doing such a great job in the back-round that I literally had to ensure all .exe was exempted in permissions. I wouldn't be surprised if the Classic Client would now work as well and that this also solved the fatal error from that I was getting. Not sure I'm up for messing with it today, but at some point; since I suspect I may prefer the classic client.

Thank you very much !!

-CC

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, i did say to uninstall antivirus, not disable it. You don't need one, they create more vulnerabilities and problems than they solve, if you really must have one installed, use microsoft security essentials.

ChinaCat

Visitor
well, i did say to uninstall antivirus, not disable it. You don't need one, they create more vulnerabilities and problems than they solve, if you really must have one installed, use microsoft security essentials.
BitDefender has saved my behind several times; when accidentally clicking on a trojan link or trying to go to a bad site. Adding the .exe files to trusted was all it took.

Thanks again. -CC

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't live where I live or you wouldn't even think about saying "don't use antivirus" and honestly, I think the threat to systems is almost the same all over the world. To me the most dangerous thing you can do is trust Microsoft to keep you safe. I use both an antivirus program and an antimalware program and other than having to whitelist UO I have never (knock on wood) had a problem, at least one that didn't get fixed quickly.