• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suite Builder Excel Spread Sheet - wanted

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone have a suite builder excel spread sheet they would like to share ... or could direct me too ... ?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think that (s)he's asking for someone to share their spreadsheet that they use to build their suits.
ahh... im sure someone wouldnt mind releasing their work for free...

PaulCH

Journeyman
Am I the only one that thinks if you need a spreadsheet to engage in a recreational/leisure activity there is quite possibly something wrong with said activity?
That crossed my mind too but, for some people, I'm sure that it's part of the enjoyment / challenge. For the ones, feeling obligated to do it in order to compete, I definitely agree.

Personally, I did it for one toon, trying to optimize his suit, but didn't for the rest. For the most part, I simply upgrade one piece at a time without necessarily optimizing. For example, I took a gorget with 10% LMC off one of my toons yesterday and still had 40 LMC.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That crossed my mind too but, for some people, I'm sure that it's part of the enjoyment / challenge. For the ones, feeling obligated to do it in order to compete, I definitely agree.

Personally, I did it for one toon, trying to optimize his suit, but didn't for the rest. For the most part, I simply upgrade one piece at a time without necessarily optimizing. For example, I took a gorget with 10% LMC off one of my toons yesterday and still had 40 LMC.
I just see it as an example of the root of what's gone wrong with UO over the years, at least in my opinion. Used to be you didn't have to go through matching and trying to balance 3 dozen properties to be competitive, or be able to engage in pretty much every aspect of game play. You would get a GM crafted suit, possibly a weapon and or shield (If you didn't have one of the marginally better magic one's) and go out and engage in the game world. AoS comes and it's been a constant battle to keep the game balanced because now there is such a plethora of combinations in how you can stack stats, resists, buffs, and modifiers. It's a contributing factor to the disastrous Crafting system we have now that is overly complex, and still yields items inferior to loot drops a majority of the time. It's lead to the ever increasing need for "Bigger Stronger Faster" Bosses etc. It lead to Greater Dragons and a few other ridiculous tameable creatures in order to keep them Tamers relevant.

Maybe, just maybe if there are more expansions instead of building on Age of Shadows, they can do one that starts reversing some of this insanity, call it "Dawn of Light" or something.. work back towards the inherit simplicity that made UO such a great game to begin with.

PaulCH

Journeyman
Maybe, just maybe if there are more expansions instead of building on Age of Shadows, they can do one that starts reversing some of this insanity, call it "Dawn of Light" or something.. work back towards the inherit simplicity that made UO such a great game to begin with.
Would be nice but I'm more than a little skeptical that they choose to go in that direction. Once the power creep starts, I'm not sure it can be stopped...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The only spreadsheets I use for UO are ones that I got from a poster here, and adapted into something not Excel, that converts manually inputted SOS & T-map coordinates into pins for UOAM/UOC that you can paste into a .map file.

I might type in a suit (minus one item) and have the bonuses totaled so that I can see what I need for an item, but I don't have a dedicated file for it, or have a program sort suits for me. That's too much like work.

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Am I the only one that thinks if you need a spreadsheet to engage in a recreational/leisure activity there is quite possibly something wrong with said activity?
Nope ... but it doesn't mean you are right :)

I'll send you mine when I get home tonight.
Many thanks - looking forward to it ....

I just see it as an example of the root of what's gone wrong with UO over the years, at least in my opinion. Used to be you didn't have to go through matching and trying to balance 3 dozen properties to be competitive, or be able to engage in pretty much every aspect of game play. You would get a GM crafted suit, possibly a weapon and or shield (If you didn't have one of the marginally better magic one's) and go out and engage in the game world. AoS comes and it's been a constant battle to keep the game balanced because now there is such a plethora of combinations in how you can stack stats, resists, buffs, and modifiers. It's a contributing factor to the disastrous Crafting system we have now that is overly complex, and still yields items inferior to loot drops a majority of the time. It's lead to the ever increasing need for "Bigger Stronger Faster" Bosses etc. It lead to Greater Dragons and a few other ridiculous tameable creatures in order to keep them Tamers relevant.

This is exactly what made me lose interest in the game .... when a Vanc Sword became nothing, and a GM crafted suit was basically newbie gear.

I hated mousing over an item and seeing what to me was almost a spamming of numbers on my screen.

I still dislike it, and it does my head-in but I have to accept it - so I thought I would try and create my first suit and I have ended up with so many bookmarked webpages, and about 6 pages of hand scribbled notes and lists of numbers ...

Excel seemed a natural progression on this stage of my life back in UO.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am one that prefers spreadsheets. For just about anything. I deal with them alot in my daily job activities, and so reading numbers, and fudging things here to there come naturally to me. +With as complex as a simple suit of armor has gotten, I actually find it easier to have it in a spreadsheet than just trying to remember it in my head. Also I blame EVE Online aka Spreadsheet Spaceships.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pix I know there is a google spreadsheet floating around the Craftsman forums. Not sure how up to date it is, and I can't seem to find it locally right now. It may very well be DJAd's.

@DJAd I'd like to see your spreadsheet as well!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is exactly what made me lose interest in the game .... when a Vanc Sword became nothing, and a GM crafted suit was basically newbie gear.
I hated mousing over an item and seeing what to me was almost a spamming of numbers on my screen.
I still dislike it, and it does my head-in but I have to accept it - so I thought I would try and create my first suit and I have ended up with so many bookmarked webpages, and about 6 pages of hand scribbled notes and lists of numbers ...
THIS 1000%!!!
I still don't understand all of the numbers and %'s that come up when clicking on anything!
I feel lost in game that i've been playing since beta.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Go play on Siege, it's pretty much exactly like this still.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Go play on Siege, it's pretty much exactly like this still.
Not quite, though people are still largely using GM Crafted stuff there, Siege is only a bandaid, all the stupid is still lying just underneath. I have and on occassion do play on Siege, truth be told, it's the smug factor that drives me away from it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not quite, though people are still largely using GM Crafted stuff there, Siege is only a bandaid, all the stupid is still lying just underneath. I have and on occassion do play on Siege, truth be told, it's the smug factor that drives me away from it.
It's not smug, although I do brag a lot about how much crap I have, but don't we all ?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's not smug, although I do brag a lot about how much crap I have, but don't we all ?
I think you're missing what I mean, smug might not be the right word, but there does appear to be some sense of "elitisim" which to me over time leads to a view of smugishness, among a portion of the Siege community. It's pretty apparent when you notice trends, prime example how many threads in UHall do you see people starting saying "Come Play on Baja we're better than all the other shards...." over time.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you're missing what I mean, smug might not be the right word, but there does appear to be some sense of "elitisim" which to me over time leads to a view of smugishness, among a portion of the Siege community. It's pretty apparent when you notice trends, prime example how many threads in UHall do you see people starting saying "Come Play on Baja we're better than all the other shards...." over time.

Come play on Baja we're better than all the other shards!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah but we just blame that on Freja, you'll notice she's always the author. :) If you ran into any elitism, it was from our visiting PvPrs that like to constantly tells us all how we suck. :pirate:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I made one a while back, it's not too difficult to do it yourself really. Wish I didn't have to use one for this game but oh well.