• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finally did it

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I get the addiction part. Sometimes you have to make a clean break when it's taking up too much time and energy (I did twice). Sometimes you start again, hoping to set more reasonable limits. And it's really not a bad idea; building up from scratch is the best part of UO, as far as game mechanics.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
See ya in a year or so =)

But seriously, good luck and enjoy whatever the next adventure is!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww man, I'm gonna miss killing you at spawns right after stat ends :D

The trash talk aside, I get it. I barely logged in for all of January. Granted, I was playing Diablo because Season 9 started, but on the few occasions I logged in to UO, I logged out just as quickly.

I thought about closing my accounts, and I still might, but I really don't feel like packing my stuff up. Maybe I should just let my houses fall as is.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought about closing my accounts, and I still might, but I really don't feel like packing my stuff up. Maybe I should just let my houses fall as is.
Yeah, I've done this a couple times now. Even when I thought I'd sufficiently packed things up I discovered lots of things I wish I still had when I reactivated a year or two later. Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion I should have just left my subscription running and not played.

belkins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you delete all your characters on those accounts.. you won't be back... =P

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way you wont return is like Belkins1 says, delete all your chars, items and gold before you close your accounts.
If you don't do this then one day they bug will get you and BANG!!! your back in again... :D

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm trying to work my way to similar with my three. My wife hasn't played in ages so I'm sure once mine close hers won't be far behind. I just can't stand the thought of losing my houses for when I eventually do log in for a little bit here and there when bored.

Herp!

Journeyman
The only way you wont return is like Belkins1 says, delete all your chars, items and gold before you close your accounts.
If you don't do this then one day they bug will get you and BANG!!! your back in again... :D
I lost everything when I quit in 2004, I came back in 2009 with nothing in hand & haven't ever looked back and thought to quit again. Sure, I occasionally take 2-3 months off if another game takes my interest, but UO is always there and always will be. I could lose everything today.... and I'd be back online tomorrow. The only way to make sure you stay away, is if the game/addiction to it was legitimately hurting you in some way that you can look back on and see why you don't ever want to go back.

I quit heroin because my ex girlfriend died in my arms, I quit smoking because I was killing myself slowly, I quit drinking for a long time because I couldn't control myself or my drinking habits until recently. I am proud of these things, and I will NEVER look back and want to do any of it again. THAT is how you make sure you quit and stay gone or you come back with a much better handle on life in general.

Herp!

Journeyman
If the pet revamp is anything like the Doom one you will be disappointed. :(
It will be a disappointment to anyone with higher hopes than they should have. But I look forward to the pet revamp for what I was told by the devs about it so far. The ability to upgrade pets from lower control count to higher. Even if that means I can only upgrade things from their original control count to 5 slot. I'd be happy to have a 5 slot dog from a crystal, and that's pretty much ALL I'm looking forward to anyway :D

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I lost everything when I quit in 2004, I came back in 2009 with nothing in hand & haven't ever looked back and thought to quit again. Sure, I occasionally take 2-3 months off if another game takes my interest, but UO is always there and always will be. I could lose everything today.... and I'd be back online tomorrow. The only way to make sure you stay away, is if the game/addiction to it was legitimately hurting you in some way that you can look back on and see why you don't ever want to go back.

I quit heroin because my ex girlfriend died in my arms, I quit smoking because I was killing myself slowly, I quit drinking for a long time because I couldn't control myself or my drinking habits until recently. I am proud of these things, and I will NEVER look back and want to do any of it again. THAT is how you make sure you quit and stay gone or you come back with a much better handle on life in general.
This is wise counsel. If the game is hurting you, quit. If you can't control it, quit. If it's eating up more time than you can afford, quit.
If you find it a good way to mess around, find your limits and play within those limits.
I don't really need to be saying all this, just stating the obvious and my own experience, having quit and come back twice

Sabbath

Visitor
I agree with Herp and Yadd, among others, as I'm a prime example of someone returning to the game with a new perspective after having played 10 years. My houses are all gone along with my old companions but I'm having a great time building a character from scratch. There's something satisfying about watching your skills fly up - LOL! Anyway, I feel like the time off has given me some perspective that I didn't have before and a proper balance between work, play, and family is achievable. It's good to be back among you fine folks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Herp and Yadd, among others, as I'm a prime example of someone returning to the game with a new perspective after having played 10 years. My houses are all gone along with my old companions but I'm having a great time building a character from scratch. There's something satisfying about watching your skills fly up - LOL! Anyway, I feel like the time off has given me some perspective that I didn't have before and a proper balance between work, play, and family is achievable. It's good to be back among you fine folks!
So did one of my friends for about 5 or 6 months... but now he's bored with UO again and gone again... and he's pretty sure he's not coming back.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If the pet revamp is anything like the Doom one you will be disappointed. :(
That's what I'm afraid of... I don't know how much more disappointment I can take... I'm pretty much down to playing one day a week... I go to the EM Event... I get annoyed that I can't freaking loot most of the mobs anymore especially not public Boss mobs... The lag is horrendous... The way many folk behave is even worse... and to "die" at the Event is just insane... takes up to .40 seconds to begin the death process... during which time your character is FROZEN... after this period it's another .3 or .4 seconds before you go gray screen and can finally move... and during this time you can see other things going on... When you rez then it takes a good .3 or .4 seconds where you are frozen and anything can happen including another death...

Anything the Boss does like that horrible rings of fire thing will cause the client to screech to a halt...

And finally they put insane overkill on things like tonight's boss on GLs had some insane panic attack that went off every .4 seconds... "Panic" AAAAGGH... frozen can't move, strip you of most your armor... Unfreeze..... try to hit and get your clothes back on..... "Panic"...... argh..... stuck again... thank god I am not a mage and can bandage through that BS ... Mages are just screwed... Then it's Hit once twice maybe panic again.... over and over... And this is "fun" how???

While I did get a drop many more especially my friends with magery got NOTHING... didn't even get looting rights since they used the crimson mob boss base giving it insane resists that only AI does actually more than 1 to 4 damage... What a horrible way to "celebrate" Valentines.

I'm sorry but of late there is little to be happy or excited about. Wedding package... Again disappointment... You get a dress you can't dye, Tux you can't dye... ONE cake to chose from out of 8??? and one arch... which you can't redeed and re-choose any of???? While granted most get married in game only once... that dress would be nice for other things... same with Tux... balls and such... Not just a wedding. Cakes too... would have prefered a craftable one where you could then have a makers mark etc... but no... $30 is a LOT to spend on a one time thing... Even more sad some folk have lost tables.

And how many people lost pets and that bug wasn't even acknowledged by the DEVs... If I played more I'd have probably lost a beloved pet.

As for the doom thing... I don't want to be forced into playing a sampire... I hate the template... it's horrible. It's a selfcentered template if I ever saw one... no healing means you can't help anyone else... No ability to rez anyone again means you can't help anyone else...

As the game progresses more and more to this selfcentered selfishness and further from community events and things that bring players together... the less I like it. It is now dominated with greed and obsessions with what crap is worth... Just to circumvent the greed and the cavern of the discarded I have half a mind to when I quit... putting my stuff in a horde minion and deleting it all that way... *Poof* gone for good...

If and when I do quit.... I'm thinking that will be the way to go. No feeding the greed. Maybe that's selfish of me... but at this point UO is so far from what I fell in love with that I don't think it'll ever come back.

I have no desire to spend day after day after day grinding out this or that just to get NOTHING .... A 0.0000004% chance at a something for some folk may be ok for them.... but it isn't for me. Wouldn't be so bad if the grinding part were actually fun and actually did get you at least some legendary decent item... but IMO most items that drop from things are so messed up they won't do for any type of character... I don't know too many dexers that would trade MR and increased dex for Spell damage increase... or LRC... And I know even fewer mages who would trade LRC and FC/FCR for DI and HCI... And I'm still trying to figure out just when a mage weapon would be useful if it doesn't have Spell Channeling... Seems to me that the game caters to one build style... Sampire/Whammy...

All reminds me of the High Seas BS with fish bait and the silly fishing gear... you have a 0.00002 chance at getting a rare fish at 120 natural skill... but add bait the outfit and 3x the clicking to your fishing and you have a 0.000020002 chance at catching that fish!

Last year they stiffed us on Easter because we told them the children's coloring book picture was just a joke... so now we get stiffed on Valentines? Why? Can't be because they are too busy... for #(@$&$( sake... everyone knows all year long that Holidays are coming... New Years, Valentines, Easter, Halloween, the Anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving.... whatever they occur EVERY YEAR... It's not a surprise... you have 364 days to work on it again before NEXT YEAR... And half the time all you really would need to do is just recolor some crap give it a new name and bingo gift... Change that beating box to pink and regift it sometime... there is that egg that opens up with the crystal in it that hasn't ever been used for Easter... There is a chained heart in the game art that also hasn't been used... Everyone likes the cupids arrow... How about regifting that cupid statue in a new hue??? I could think up a dozen or more idea's that would require VERY little coding or work... could be added to a stinking clicky and put out in no time... but instead all you hear is "the team is so small give them a break..." Well that's a craptastic excuse... you know how "big" the team is working on shards??? There are a ton of games out there with less of a team... Infact the silly Dragon Cave that I have been a member of for the last 10+ years is a few artists and ONE guy... and he manages to put out new dragons every month as well as always having the Holidays covered and putting in new features... all on a next to nothing budget... So don't give me that lame excuse.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what I'm afraid of... I don't know how much more disappointment I can take... I'm pretty much down to playing one day a week... I go to the EM Event... I get annoyed that I can't freaking loot most of the mobs anymore especially not public Boss mobs... The lag is horrendous... The way many folk behave is even worse... and to "die" at the Event is just insane... takes up to .40 seconds to begin the death process... during which time your character is FROZEN... after this period it's another .3 or .4 seconds before you go gray screen and can finally move... and during this time you can see other things going on... When you rez then it takes a good .3 or .4 seconds where you are frozen and anything can happen including another death...

Anything the Boss does like that horrible rings of fire thing will cause the client to screech to a halt...

And finally they put insane overkill on things like tonight's boss on GLs had some insane panic attack that went off every .4 seconds... "Panic" AAAAGGH... frozen can't move, strip you of most your armor... Unfreeze..... try to hit and get your clothes back on..... "Panic"...... argh..... stuck again... thank god I am not a mage and can bandage through that BS ... Mages are just screwed... Then it's Hit once twice maybe panic again.... over and over... And this is "fun" how???

While I did get a drop many more especially my friends with magery got NOTHING... didn't even get looting rights since they used the crimson mob boss base giving it insane resists that only AI does actually more than 1 to 4 damage... What a horrible way to "celebrate" Valentines.

I'm sorry but of late there is little to be happy or excited about. Wedding package... Again disappointment... You get a dress you can't dye, Tux you can't dye... ONE cake to chose from out of 8??? and one arch... which you can't redeed and re-choose any of???? While granted most get married in game only once... that dress would be nice for other things... same with Tux... balls and such... Not just a wedding. Cakes too... would have prefered a craftable one where you could then have a makers mark etc... but no... $30 is a LOT to spend on a one time thing... Even more sad some folk have lost tables.

And how many people lost pets and that bug wasn't even acknowledged by the DEVs... If I played more I'd have probably lost a beloved pet.

As for the doom thing... I don't want to be forced into playing a sampire... I hate the template... it's horrible. It's a selfcentered template if I ever saw one... no healing means you can't help anyone else... No ability to rez anyone again means you can't help anyone else...

As the game progresses more and more to this selfcentered selfishness and further from community events and things that bring players together... the less I like it. It is now dominated with greed and obsessions with what crap is worth... Just to circumvent the greed and the cavern of the discarded I have half a mind to when I quit... putting my stuff in a horde minion and deleting it all that way... *Poof* gone for good...

If and when I do quit.... I'm thinking that will be the way to go. No feeding the greed. Maybe that's selfish of me... but at this point UO is so far from what I fell in love with that I don't think it'll ever come back.

I have no desire to spend day after day after day grinding out this or that just to get NOTHING .... A 0.0000004% chance at a something for some folk may be ok for them.... but it isn't for me. Wouldn't be so bad if the grinding part were actually fun and actually did get you at least some legendary decent item... but IMO most items that drop from things are so messed up they won't do for any type of character... I don't know too many dexers that would trade MR and increased dex for Spell damage increase... or LRC... And I know even fewer mages who would trade LRC and FC/FCR for DI and HCI... And I'm still trying to figure out just when a mage weapon would be useful if it doesn't have Spell Channeling... Seems to me that the game caters to one build style... Sampire/Whammy...

All reminds me of the High Seas BS with fish bait and the silly fishing gear... you have a 0.00002 chance at getting a rare fish at 120 natural skill... but add bait the outfit and 3x the clicking to your fishing and you have a 0.000020002 chance at catching that fish!

Last year they stiffed us on Easter because we told them the children's coloring book picture was just a joke... so now we get stiffed on Valentines? Why? Can't be because they are too busy... for #(@$&$( sake... everyone knows all year long that Holidays are coming... New Years, Valentines, Easter, Halloween, the Anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving.... whatever they occur EVERY YEAR... It's not a surprise... you have 364 days to work on it again before NEXT YEAR... And half the time all you really would need to do is just recolor some crap give it a new name and bingo gift... Change that beating box to pink and regift it sometime... there is that egg that opens up with the crystal in it that hasn't ever been used for Easter... There is a chained heart in the game art that also hasn't been used... Everyone likes the cupids arrow... How about regifting that cupid statue in a new hue??? I could think up a dozen or more idea's that would require VERY little coding or work... could be added to a stinking clicky and put out in no time... but instead all you hear is "the team is so small give them a break..." Well that's a craptastic excuse... you know how "big" the team is working on shards??? There are a ton of games out there with less of a team... Infact the silly Dragon Cave that I have been a member of for the last 10+ years is a few artists and ONE guy... and he manages to put out new dragons every month as well as always having the Holidays covered and putting in new features... all on a next to nothing budget... So don't give me that lame excuse.
When I worked it was very simple. The people I hired PRODUCED, or I had to let them go. They were held responsible to do the job they were paid for. I wonder if the whole lot of "developers" we have now were thrown out on their collective butts, the next group would get the message and do the job they are being paid to do? This crap they give us is unacceptable, and when you combine it with the fact they have obviously flushed their integrity down the toilet by allowing the multiboxing and scripting it is easy to figure out that the best thing to do is replace them all! Heck they can't even add 1 thing in game without breaking 2 others. @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak

PaulCH

Journeyman
they have obviously flushed their integrity down the toilet by allowing the multiboxing and scripting
I am completely against most scripting and multiboxing. I was going to write that it's completely cheating and unfair but, since they are not banning people for it and theoretically everyone can do it, it's not because it's even for everyone.

Every time this topic comes up, I have the same question...what would UO be like without the scripters and multiboxers? Are the cheaters / professional UO players (sell stuff for RL cash) an integral part of revenue base of the game? As for scripters, I'm definitely against AFK scripting but if it's something to simply make your game play easier (potentially defined as functionality that should be built into the client ie swapping suits in the CC) then where do you draw the line? How do you define penalties? How do you implement them without hurting UO's revenue base? Does Broadsword have enough resources to limit scripting / multiboxing and put out new content / publishes?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats you earned a broccoli for once again stating your opinion as fact when you have no way to back it up as a fact!
Congratulations for overlooking the blatantly obvious, or do you think UO still has a quarter million players rotating their accounts on and off over a period of time. You earned sweet F all.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Congratulations for overlooking the blatantly obvious, or do you think UO still has a quarter million players rotating their accounts on and off over a period of time. You earned sweet F all.
The only thing blatantly obvious is your continued lack of credibility on these forums. Purely based off of the history of your posts, like the one above, which create facts upon which I base my opinion.

:danceb::danceb::danceb:

Dispirio Malas

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've taken breaks. Always kept my accounts up. What's 15 bucks a month? Saves me money when I don't go out and just sit at home and drink a few beers and play uo. Psht.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing blatantly obvious is your continued lack of credibility on these forums. Purely based off of the history of your posts, like the one above, which create facts upon which I base my opinion.
Ha ha. Like your opinion matters one jot to me fanboi. 1100 posts and almost 800 likes ... yeah ... no credibility. Although thats a much higher ratio than you I see :next:

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congrats you earned a broccoli for once again stating your opinion as fact when you have no way to back it up as a fact!

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

Dispirio Malas
I mean, at this point you have to be pretty dense and/or blind if you truly believe the majority, or anywhere close to the majority, do return. If they did, we'd have the majority percentage of the population of old + all the new players who have come in since and the shards would be thriving. We'd be having discussions of having to create new shards to fit everyone on as opposed to the opposite. No matter what you want to believe to be true, that's obviously not the case and even the most die-hard fan would have to admit that based on their own observations of how the population and activity in-game has changed over the years. You seem to think that because we have no raw numbers on the population levels you can continue to refute this claim and use the "well you have no way to back it up as a fact!" line to justify doing so. That's a pretty naive and linear way of thinking, akin to burying your head in the sand at this point. Most peoples' eyes would back it up through casual observation. I don't really think you can call into question the credibility of people who state this when what is being claimed is fairly obvious and not a particularly groundbreaking observation at this stage in the game's life. It's a very safe statement to make which is almost guaranteed to be factually accurate.

As an aside, something interesting to note based on raw evidence is that only about 30% of all new WoW players even get past level 10 in that game. That's a huge 70% who try the game, leave and don't return. WoW actually has a new player experience and holds your hand so much in the early stages to ease you into the game, unlike UO. By contrast, how many players do you think have tried UO over the years vs. those who actually stayed and subscribed for a long period of time? The UO accounts database probably has millions of accounts created over a 20 year span and it can be pretty safely concluded that UO definitely doesn't have even anywhere close to a million active subscribers. Thus, it is almost definitely the case that the vast majority who leave simply do not return. If they did, what they would be doing would be truly groundbreaking in terms of their user retention systems and a whole lot of people would want to know UO's secrets on how to achieve this incredible feat. We all know that isn't actually the case.

Last edited: