• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We are number 1

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
nice! :D

Although this : "Thanks to its Steam release and a healthy update, Kingdom Reborn, the title has managed to stay relevant despite its age."
UO isnt on steam, correct? And the kingdom reborn was never finalized - and was scrapped for the EC... ?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Although this : "Thanks to its Steam release and a healthy update, Kingdom Reborn, the title has managed to stay relevant despite its age."
UO isnt on steam, correct? And the kingdom reborn was never finalized - and was scrapped for the EC... ?
Correct. UO Received a Steam Greenlight but was never actually released on Steam.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Correct. UO Received a Steam Greenlight but was never actually released on Steam.
Its a bit unfortunate that this is mentioned in a post like this then - if people suddenly go looking for UO on steam, and then think it has closed down when they dont find it there.
Would be nice to be on steam though - but wont bring this up again, there has been dozen of posts about it, and probably nothing to do with broadsword, but more an EA problem that it hasnt been allowed yet.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Asheron's Call 1 & 2 Servers have been turned off as per 31st January.
So that's one down and six to go :p

Would be nice to be on steam though
That might change with the release of endless journey. Emphasis on "might" though...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is great that we get a nod but they really are behind the times "a healthy update, Kingdom Reborn" released in 2007

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Asheron's Call 1 & 2 Servers have been turned off as per 31st January.
So that's one down and six to go :p

That might change with the release of endless journey. Emphasis on "might" though...
Doubt it will change, EA has been pretty adamant about not having their IPs on Steam since they want to drive as much traffic to Origin as possible. Even though Origin is inferior in almost every way...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doubt it will change, EA has been pretty adamant about not having their IPs on Steam since they want to drive as much traffic to Origin as possible. Even though Origin is inferior in almost every way...
Please don't remind me :p I think, Mass Effect 3 & Dead Space 3 were one of their first Origin-exclusive games. Since I played parts 1 & 2 of both IPs, they forced me to play on Origin, because I didn't want to miss out on part 3. Origin was even worse in the early days. Horrible...

Anyways, back to UO. I know, that the changes are less than slim. But just wondering why they went to Steam Greenlight in the first place. Was this without EA's permission?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Please don't remind me :p I think, Mass Effect 3 & Dead Space 3 were one of their first Origin-exclusive games. Since I played parts 1 & 2 of both IPs, they forced me to play on Origin, because I didn't want to miss out on part 3. Origin was even worse in the early days. Horrible...

Anyways, back to UO. I know, that the changes are less than slim. But just wondering why they went to Steam Greenlight in the first place. Was this without EA's permission?
It was around the same time that EA decided against letting more IPs on Steam. Might be that the Greenlight campaign started, but EA's decision was made so nothing could go forward.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Oldest MMO that is still played today is The Realm Online. The game was launched in 1996. The game is ran by Norseman Games.

Tibia is another MMO that was launched in January of 1997. The game is still played today.

I'd say UO is the most recognizable game, but not the oldest.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was around the same time that EA decided against letting more IPs on Steam. Might be that the Greenlight campaign started, but EA's decision was made so nothing could go forward.
They really made this decision that late?
Origin was release June 2011. The first Origin-exclusive games were release 2012. And UO went to Greenlight during April 2014.
I would have guessed that they made that decision around 2011-2012, so UO went to steam years later.
Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find anything on the net about that...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will be interesting to see how this works out. The failed experiment in consumers picking the games that get onto Steam that Greenlight is cannot be replaced soon enough
I thought everybody said it was EA/BS/UO that asked UO to be Greenlite, that says it is the Steam/Greenlight customers by voting on what goes on Steam.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

erm kingdom reborn was a add on and was released heres a hard copy image of the box

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
erm kingdom reborn was a add on and was released heres a hard copy image of the box
oh my bad - I thought kingdom reborn was that client that they started developing and then later scrapped for the EC :)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played that!! Character creation was amazing for it's time, it was the bugs that stopped me from playing and also terrible lag in player towns.
You should look at it again, a huge number of bugs have finally been fixed and you can even run thru Tazoon now with zero lag. It's still my goto game when all else bores me ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh my bad - I thought kingdom reborn was that client that they started developing and then later scrapped for the EC :)
It was a client upgrade that never made it to public live shards.
Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn - Wikipedia

well I suppose it did but it was **** and bugged to high hell so nobody used it and everyone stuck to the CC.
EC was it's replacement which unfortunately had even worse graphics......shame they couldn't have moulded the 2 together. The interface of EC with the graphics of KR.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You should look at it again, a huge number of bugs have finally been fixed and you can even run thru Tazoon now with zero lag. It's still my goto game when all else bores me ;)
Thanks for that! :)
The Kingdom Reborn client always looked a bit vague to me and somehow lacking the clean sharp lines of the Classic client. It's the main reason I avoided the enhanced client for so long, I thought it would look like KR!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One note about Kingdom Reborn:

It was definitely NOT ready for release.

The devs were having issues with it, and it still should have been in internal Alpha, if not pre-alpha.

BUT, they were forced into releasing it into a way-too-short public Beta, then official release by EA.

The reason?

EA Japan was the only one releasing it as a boxed set; more accurately, the client was meant to be a "freebie" with the actual purchase being a music CD of UO (and maybe other EA) music. They had committed themselves WAY too soon to a physical release, including securing reserved shelf space in certain Japanese chains. They were NOT going to lose face by having to cancel the commitment, or substitution of a different product on the shelf (since there was a PR/advertising campaign). The stuff was to ship at the end of 2Q 2007 (if I remember the year correctly), and be on sale the first week of July. PERIOD. No alternatives possible. The US programmers were thereby thrown under the bus.

The Devs had to keep trying to fix a client that SHOULD have spent another 6-12 months in internal development, all while doing new content. It was effectively 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, as the errors fixed could not keep up with the new errors being introduced from the new content. All the while, the conversion of players to the new client never materialized because of the issues (EA's plan was that they'd get 90% of the people playing KR, then kill the CC). Finally, at some point, some of the devs decided to start the KR project over from scratch, as it was easier than fixing the ever-crumbling KR client. That eventually got official approval, and became the EC introduced by the SA expansion.

Armageddon

Visitor
The EC client is basically KR but rebuilt and renamed. They renamed it because KR had such bad reviews when it was released as it was so buggy and wasn't finished. Once they finally fixed it up a bit and rebuilt a lot of the client they dumped the name Kingdom Reborn and called it the Stygian Abyss client. It was eventually renamed again to the Enhanced Client. It's also colloquially known as the Speed Hack client because PvPers who can't compete in real UO (2D/CC) will often use it as a crutch due to the movement speed difference and the way chars bounce around obstacles.