• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is that a dead fish in the water? No, I believe it's the Atlantic Shard...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So what do you do when the shard crashes in the middle of a long pet training session? Post about it, speculating on whether someone is DDOS'ing Amazon, or someone has found a new dupe...

Did Broadsword ever find that software engineer they were looking for?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what do you do when the shard crashes in the middle of a long pet training session?
Nothing. By continuing to pay a monthly subscription, to a sub par game without any level of support or customer service youve already signed up to whatever crap they throw at you with zero comeback. Either move to a game that offers the level of customer service that you are paying for or shut up and accept the mediocrity that you have by default chosen to accept for your money. Dont post about it. Dont whine about it. Either pay and acccept it or take your money elsewhere. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did Broadsword ever find that software engineer they were looking for?
Nope, the advertisement for it is still on their website. It's been there about 2 years now I think.

The requirement that all UO developers must physically live near the office instead of allowing people to telecommute will probably make it almost impossible to find someone to fill that position.

The person would have to:
  1. Be willing to work on a 20 year old game without much hope of promotions, career advancement etc. due to the small team.
  2. Understand how to work on a game made with such old technology
  3. Live in the Washington DC area or be willing to move to the Washington DC area
  4. Be ok with being part of an extremely small development team and (presumably) not being paid as much as a larger game studio would pay.
That limits the applicant pool pretty severely unfortunately.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Nothing. By continuing to pay a monthly subscription, to a sub par game without any level of support or customer service youve already signed up to whatever crap they throw at you with zero comeback. Either move to a game that offers the level of customer service that you are paying for or shut up and accept the mediocrity that you have by default chosen to accept for your money. Dont post about it. Dont whine about it. Either pay and acccept it or take your money elsewhere. You have no one to blame but yourself.
How about I pay for one of the two best MMO's I've ever had the privilege to play. One of the true pioneers in it's genre. A game that is still interesting, and about which I learn something new every day, even though I've been playing it for more than ten years, on and off, since 1997.

I have yet to see an MMO that didn't have all kinds of issues of it's own, no matter how much money it cost to produce, or how many were in the development team, or how new or old it was. And I have yet to see an MMO that didn't carry along in it's wake, a froth of trolls and whiners, similar to yourself, that seemed to have nothing better to do all day than post negative nonsense on a topic they appear to know nothing about... ;)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about I pay for one of the two best MMO's I've ever had the privilege to play
...with the worst customer service of any game ive ever played and a skeleton crew attempting to maintain it and failing badly. As I said ... you accept this level of service continuing to pay so what do you expect?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just curious but The Craftsman do you have any active UO accounts?
If he had an active account, that would mean he's paying for the game. All his posts revolve around the theme of why he refuses to pay for the game anymore, so I'd say no, by definition, he does not have any active accounts

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 3 accounts, the oldest dating back to January 2000. I played a lot of years with all 3 accounts active but these days it varies between 0 and 1. I can go months without playing, then decide to activate one of the three for maybe a month, perhaps two months at most. Whether I have an active account simply depends on what month you ask me.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wowzers.........

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I have no complaints about customer service over the years. All in all whenever I've had an issue things were handled to my satisfaction. In 20 years I think there has been maybe one time where it took a prolonged time to address something and it was rather complicated.

The Craftsman hasn't played for over a year at least. He's here just to troll the community as usual.

I haven't found value for the community in any of his posts for a long time now.

Better to just dispel evil and ignore it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Craftsman hasn't played for over a year at least
Quite simply not true. Dont post blatant lies about something you know nothing about.

I haven't found value for the community in any of his posts for a long time now.
I am the one who brings balance to the forum. You however are not interested in balanced views, you simply want this to be fanboi central.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Quite simply not true. Dont post blatant lies about something you know nothing about.

I am the one who brings balance to the forum. You however are not interested in balanced views, you simply want this to be fanboi central.[/QUOTE
Dispirio Malas

Someone reading back through your posts for the last few years will see it for themselves.

No value just stupid drama no one needs

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and your statement that I "havent played for over a year at least"? Funny how your blatant lie goes unacknowledged by you

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No value just stupid drama no one needs
Not necessarily. Any other company I do business with will let me buy something on Sunday. I can, honestly, go to Netflix right now and put in the card # and be watching movies in minutes. Same is true for all the others. However, here I sit, after buying codes for two accounts, waiting on them to 'verify' and 'process' which might take up to 48 hours. Guess their computers don't work on Sunday? Been buying and playing since early '98-guess I don't have enough seniority to get a pass to play. So maybe I get to play tomorrow? Or will it be Tuesday? They don't give a rat's ass, they already locked up the $$ on the card...why bother delivering the service.

By continuing to pay a monthly subscription, to a sub par game without any level of support or customer service youve already signed up to whatever crap they throw at you with zero comeback. Either move to a game that offers the level of customer service that you are paying for or shut up and accept the mediocrity that you have by default chosen to accept for your money. Dont post about it. Dont whine about it. Either pay and acccept it or take your money elsewhere. You have no one to blame but yourself.
This fits me. I keep paying and putting up with total ********. Altho after the 22nd I will only be putting up with 2 accts worth of ********. The others are getting stripped and combined as we speak.

Wonder where that new F#$&&*() Acct management system went to?

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Yeah I don't get that. I bought three 6 month codes last weekend with a credit card and got the codes instantly

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everyone that actually *plays* the game can't deny it got worse and worse over the time. All aspects of it. Only a true fanboy or someone staying all day in Luna can close his eyes from this.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Personally I think the game itself is better than it's ever been. There's more content, more variety, and it is more interesting. The population is certainly down from it's peak years, but that has been the case for a long time, and UO goes through cycles. Lately a lot of people have been coming back to the game. Most shards aren't anywhere near as active as they used to be, but that's isn't just a matter of subscriptions, it has a lot to do with the shard shields, which have resulted in the active population being concentrated on Atlantic. You could say that is a bad thing if being negative is your bent, but in my opinion it's probably a good thing because it ensures there's at least one shard with pretty much 24/7 action.

StressBall

Adventurer
Personally I think the game itself is better than it's ever been. There's more content, more variety, and it is more interesting. The population is certainly down from it's peak years, but that has been the case for a long time, and UO goes through cycles. Lately a lot of people have been coming back to the game. Most shards aren't anywhere near as active as they used to be, but that's isn't just a matter of subscriptions, it has a lot to do with the shard shields, which have resulted in the active population being concentrated on Atlantic. You could say that is a bad thing if being negative is your bent, but in my opinion it's probably a good thing because it ensures there's at least one shard with pretty much 24/7 action.
This game has gone further and further into a hole, look at the last hundred threads here, shards down, bugged pets disappearing, users unable to restart accounts, etc, etc ,ect, just a constant non stop stream of complaints.

"Lately a lot of people have been coming back to the game" bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha pauses bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you could say this is being delusional is your bent.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Actually I get an icq from an old vet returning to the game a few times per week. It's always nice to be able to say

Welcome home friend.

Your perception is your own reality. People have been talking about the doom and gloom around UO's demise for over a decade now.

It is by far the single most failed prophecy of our time.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've played a number of MMO's and the trolls start with the, "The game's going downhill; The game's dying; The game's dead; The dev team doesn't care; The dev team sucks; waaa, waaa, waaa." before the beta is finished. Every. single. MMO. I've. ever. played. this starts from before the game officially comes out of beta, and continues until the end of time, or the game actually does shut down, whichever comes first. Not only are the doomsayers generally just common trolls, they are unoriginal. They repeat the same nonsense over and over again, with a thousand minor variations.

And yes, I've seen, literally, hundreds of players coming back to UO in the past few months on Atl, from individuals, to entire guilds.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People have been talking about the doom and gloom around UO's demise for over a decade now.
True, and UO has proven that despite being on its last legs for years it can endure a while longer. But only a fool would confuse longevity with immortality.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game has gone further and further into a hole, look at the last hundred threads here, shards down, bugged pets disappearing, users unable to restart accounts, etc, etc ,ect, just a constant non stop stream of complaints.

"Lately a lot of people have been coming back to the game" bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha pauses bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you could say this is being delusional is your bent.
You must not read UHall very much. Those are all constant, continuous complaints that are always posted here even since UHall first began.

When everything in UO is going well, folks are too busy playing to come and comment on this, or any forum.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only a fool, and a troll in this case, would expect anything to be immortal...
Theists would believe in immortality so youre simply wrong, unless theists are the fools you speak of. I personally dont expect anything to be immortal. There are some however that seem to think UO will go on forever. It wont.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Of course it won't go on forever. Neither will the universe. Is there a point in there that you are trying to make, or are you just bored? You seem to have a lot of energy, and an active mind, I'm sure there are plenty of non-profits that could use your help. You should consider volunteering, and doing something useful with all that energy, and that bright mind...

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course it won't go on forever. Neither will the universe. Is there a point in there that you are trying to make, or are you just bored? You seem to have a lot of energy, and an active mind, I'm sure there are plenty of non-profits that could use your help. You should consider volunteering, and doing something useful with all that energy, and that bright mind...
I do lots of useful things to fill in my time, and actually do do a bit of charity work from time to time. It's incredibly rewarding.

Actually you could also consider my contribution to UHall as charity work now I think about it ;)

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually you could also consider my contribution to UHall as charity work now I think about it ;)
So... charities are a negative thing now? Show me one positive thing you wrote here recently and i'll consider this, until then your "contribution" gets this

:facepalm: