• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FC caps with magery, character sheet/status, and more

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's that time of year when Mervyn's on one of his missions. With the dwindling UO population I wanted to address the issue of the dwindling amount of elite players. The issue is, there's no more fresh ones coming through, and why is that? I beleive its because the game is so complex, but as i've mentioned in the past, it really needn't be that confusing, all we really need for both clients, is a good enough CHARACTER SHEET/STATUS (depending on your client)

All we really need to help a player understand our game mechanics are to add the CAPS (see what i did there?)

I've recently submitted about half a dozen bug reports with the EC's default UI about the figures and discriptions of the character status. I know they just copied from Pincos and didn't correct them so i thought i'd bring up the flaws with them.

There were several things wrong/incorrect with the EC default UI character sheet, here we go:

Hit points, mousing over it, tells you no information about where we arrive at this figure, should display 50 + str/2 + items.
Hit point increase: just didn't work, mine displays (+0/+25) when i clearly have +25
Strength: similarly when you moused over it, said nothing of it's impact to weight carrying ability/damage output, it did say it was related to hit points, but didn't provide any more information.
Dexterity: mousing over told us almost nothing about this, perhaps something about 80 being needed for parrying would be nice.
Intelligence: mousing over it told you nothing of its effect on spell damage and resisting spells.
Hit point regeneration: when you moused over it, it didn't actually tell you what this figure represents, in mathematical terms, that is to my understanding, the amount of hit points regenerated over 10 seconds)
Reflect physical damage, given /105??? it's not capped at 105, it's just not capped.
Resists: there's not a lot to be said about this, but mousing over them, still tells us nothing. When mousing over energy, perhaps tell us elves get /75?, or at least tell us we can raise the caps with refinements.
Lower mana cost: /40? still displays this even when you wear armour that increases the cap...

now we get complicated.
Sepll damage, no cap given?? okay there's no cap in PvM, but Damage Increase correctly displays the PvP cap x/100. So what UO needs to do is formulate your cap depending on your skills and display it here. This is absolutely vital to do. WE CANNOT HIDE MECHANICS.

now we get more complicated.
Faster Casting: x/4 hmmmmmm. Yes and no, it's /4 for chivalry (if magery is below 70) spell weaving, bushido, and ninjitsu, but /2 for magery, necromancy and mysticism.
So perhaps there should be 2 figures and caps shown here, one for chivalry, weaving, bushido, ninjitsu, and another for magery, necro, and mysticism.
But what if magery is over 70?
So we'd need to either have three figures showing the FC caps....
or... Apply the same casting caps to spellweaving, bushido, ninjitsu as for chivalry,
and make it so they're all also capped at FC2 with magery over 69.9.

Either way for the player to undestand the caps in game, more than one figure needs to be displayed here.

EC CHARACTER SHEET: NEEDS MUCH IMPROVEMENT.
CC CHARACTER STATUS: ABORTION.

While i may sound petty, it's these little touches that can make a huge difference in cleaning up the game and making it more accessible to new people.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, I have no interest in adding anything to this thread based on this comment alone;

Seeing as how the majority of 'elite' pvpers utilize CC might want to not bash it...
He was referring to the "status sheet" not the client itself. I'd imagine because, since the latest update to the status sheet had been implemented there had been many new properties added which are not displayed on the sheet, but also a lot of pre-existing properties that had never been displayed on the CC status sheet, things like RPD, Casting focus, eaters...

I don't think they need to replace the existing status sheet so much, but if they could add an "advanced status" gump, which would be much larger, that would display all the properties currently equipped items and the caps, It could only help the game, it would be an invaluable tool to especially those who enjoy piecing suits together.