• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remove the cast time for Ethys.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I think the cast time for ethys no longer serves a real purpose.
If you PVP an ethy is a liability and will get you dismounted and killed.

Why not remove the cast and make it instamount?

If your dismounted, then the regular delay to remount would apply.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That's why you should ride a live mount such as a VVV horse that you can instantly remount when the dismount timer is up. Ethy should be for backup in case your live mount gets killed. Also vvv horse can be resurrected with bandages.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cannot get behind removing the cast time completely on Ethy mounts. there would be no reason to use a real mount in pvp unless you're a Tamer if this were to happen.

Riding Swipe = Dismount, they'd be the exact same thing, since Ethy mounts do not need healing before remounting.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'm trying to keep calm with the amount of outlandish request as of late. I cannot think of one single reason why this would, or should be acceptable.

You want to instant mount on an un-killable pet? Are you serious? No, there is no work around on this one. This is really the most ludicrous request I have seen in a long time. Did you even stop and think about what you are asking for?

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a good idea. that mechanic would defeat the purpose of war horses, tamable mounts and what not. it's already easy enough to take off, run away, catch a hide, ninja form with 4/6 casting, cast invis, use teleport rings, use invisibility rings, use invisibility potions, use teleport scrolls, just plain cast teleport, hop server lines... did I miss anything. Allowing those people that you've spent 20 minutes trying to foot to be able to instantly mount (after the dismount timer runs out) would just allow for the cat and mouse game to continue for another hour. I don't like it. Leave mounts working the way they are intended and learn to use war horses and other tamables instead.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
They're are not useless. You still need an ethy if your live mount gets killed
In pvp, if your live mount gets killed, 9 of 10 times your dead.
Maybe we could shorten the cast, or make it so it's not so easily interruptible?
I find it incredibly lame that I have a bunch of really cool ethys that I'm never able to ride because if I get caught in a fight on one, I'm as good as dead.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Not a good idea. that mechanic would defeat the purpose of war horses, tamable mounts and what not. it's already easy enough to take off, run away, catch a hide, ninja form with 4/6 casting, cast invis, use teleport rings, use invisibility rings, use invisibility potions, use teleport scrolls, just plain cast teleport, hop server lines... did I miss anything. Allowing those people that you've spent 20 minutes trying to foot to be able to instantly mount (after the dismount timer runs out) would just allow for the cat and mouse game to continue for another hour. I don't like it. Leave mounts working the way they are intended and learn to use war horses and other tamables instead.
One template has that escapabikity, ninjas.
They can almost instantly cast animal form, run away, and hit a smoke bomb and stealth away. Which all of that in and of itself is overpowered. But that's another discussion.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I'm trying to keep calm with the amount of outlandish request as of late. I cannot think of one single reason why this would, or should be acceptable.

You want to instant mount on an un-killable pet? Are you serious? No, there is no work around on this one. This is really the most ludicrous request I have seen in a long time. Did you even stop and think about what you are asking for?
Drama much?
We are discussing the idea.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One template has that escapabikity, ninjas.
They can almost instantly cast animal form, run away, and hit a smoke bomb and stealth away. Which all of that in and of itself is overpowered. But that's another discussion.
Smoke bomb. I knew I forgot one! Love those damn things.......

Anyways, most templates can survive on foot and have enough time to remount if you know what you are doing. If you were recently ganked after being put on foot and now want an instant ethy mount... I think you just need to get out there and try again =) maybe bring a few more friends. And seriously, give the VVV mount a try!

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Smoke bomb. I knew I forgot one! Love those damn things.......

Anyways, most templates can survive on foot and have enough time to remount if you know what you are doing. If you were recently ganked after being put on foot and now want an instant ethy mount... I think you just need to get out there and try again =) maybe bring a few more friends. And seriously, give the VVV mount a try!
I do ride a VVV mount. I'm sick of riding them. I don't like them.
I'd like to be able to ride my ethy and not be penalized for it.
Quit trying to personally insult me and stick to the subject.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@cobb is 100% correct about ethy's not being useless and being the backup of you primary mount (VVV horse, faction horse, or tamed creature) because of the awesome utility of them being safely tucked away in your backpack and there for emergency's. I mean yea, some of them look pretty cool and wish I could ride them more often but by no means are they useless.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do ride a VVV mount. I'm sick of riding them. I don't like them.
I'd like to be able to ride my ethy and not be penalized for it.
Quit trying to personally insult me and stick to the subject.
I don't know what was insulting. I'm honestly baffled by this request and will bow out gracefully. I'm just not going to agree with your points. Most everyone will not agree with you. You will soon realize that... just watch.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Drama much?
We are discussing the idea.
No, just tired of having to shoot down horrible ideas that have no reasonable foundation because I am afraid the devs would listen to such an uneducated train of thought.

Please provide me with explanations on how an un-killable mount that you can mount instantly would not completely break pvp.

I can't wait to hear this

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
@cobb is 100% correct about ethy's not being useless and being the backup of you primary mount (VVV horse, faction horse, or tamed creature) because of the awesome utility of them being safely tucked away in your backpack and there for emergency's. I mean yea, some of them look pretty cool and wish I could ride them more often but by no means are they useless.
I get you like your tameables.
How about we make the casting time based on your FC/FCR?
What about making animal form ignore FC and cast like an ethy?

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
No, just tired of having to shoot down horrible ideas that have no reasonable foundation because I am afraid the devs would listen to such an uneducated train of thought.

Please provide me with explanations on how an un-killable mount that you can mount instantly would not completely break pvp.

I can't wait to hear this
How is this any different than having insta cast animal form?
Has that broken PVP?
Just because your all in an uproar because I wanted to discuss an idea doesn't make it unreasonable or unworthy of discussion.
how is this an "uneducated train of thought"?
I think that having ethys more accessible would actually be very balancing.
Maybe we can brainstorm and come to a mutual agreement, or not.
You can insult me and call me names instead. Whatever.
Having an ethys cast time based on FC isn't unreasonable. Just like having animal form based on cast time isn't unreasonable.
Not to mention, you'd have to sacrifice an item slot for for FC to gain that.
We can talk like adults, or you can pretend to be offended by my audacity to even mention an idea I had or not.
I'm just talkkng. It's an idea.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Has that broken PVP?
Just because your all in an uproar because I wanted to discuss an idea doesn't make it unreasonable or unworthy of discussion.
how is this an "uneducated train of thought"?
I think that having ethys more accessible would actually be very balancing.
Maybe we can brainstorm and come to a mutual agreement, or not.
You can insult me and call me names instead. Whatever.
Having an ethys cast time based on FC isn't unreasonable. Just like having animal form based on cast time isn't unreasonable.
Not to mention, you'd have to sacrifice an item slot for for FC to gain that.
We can talk like adults, or you can pretend to be offended by my audacity to even mention an idea I had or not.
I'm just talkkng. It's an idea.
It's uneducated because you cleary do not understand the ramifications of what you are asking. I am not interested in brainstorming because Ethy mounts need to stay exactly how they are. You wouldn't have to sacrifice anything in order to achieve the FC. Between items and town buffs getting 4 fc is insanely easy. 4/6 animal form is interruptible so again, I fail to grasp your logic.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get you like your tameables.
How about we make the casting time based on your FC/FCR?
What about making animal form ignore FC and cast like an ethy?
I could see how FC/FCR would make sense. But then I see this only assisting characters that use FC/FCR in their suits. Magery, Necromancy, Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, Chivalry, Mystics... mage templates essentially. Dexxers who would then want to take advantage of this "new bonus" as well would be struggling to cram even more intensities into their already super powered (super pricey) suits. The cost of suits would go up, and the average PVP'r would once again look at the state of the game and say, "F*** this, I can't compete." Likely to stay away from the pvp scene as it is already extremely, unnecessarily, over complicated.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I could see how FC/FCR would make sense. But then I see this only assisting characters that use FC/FCR in their suits. Magery, Necromancy, Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, Chivalry, Mystics... mage templates essentially. Dexxers who would then want to take advantage of this "new bonus" as well would be struggling to cram even more intensities into their already super powered (super pricey) suits. The cost of suits would go up, and the average PVP'r would once again look at the state of the game and say, "F*** this, I can't compete." Likely to stay away from the pvp scene as it is already extremely, unnecessarily, over complicated.
Or they could ride a VVV mount.
I'd just like to see ethys not be such a liability.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
It's uneducated because you cleary do not understand the ramifications of what you are asking. I am not interested in brainstorming because Ethy mounts need to stay exactly how they are. You wouldn't have to sacrifice anything in order to achieve the FC. Between items and town buffs getting 4 fc is insanely easy. 4/6 animal form is interruptible so again, I fail to grasp your logic.
I'd like to see ethys not be such a liability.
I'd like to explore ways to make that happen.
4/6 animal form IS "interruptible" that you can cast, very quickly, running.
But reducing the cast on an ethy is so bad?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to see ethys not be such a liability.
I'd like to explore ways to make that happen.
4/6 animal form IS "interruptible" that you can cast, very quickly, running.
But reducing the cast on an ethy is so bad?
4/6 animal doesn't exist, because FC doesn't effect Animal form since animal form has become interruptible.

I don't think reducing the cast time of an ethy is horrible, but it cannot be removed. I think it would be fair to have the same cast time as gargoyle flying. but then again, it really doesn't matter to me if they stay the way they are. (I still use them on every character).

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Hunter Perilous as you saw in our battle you are not going to die 9/10 if you're dismounted. There are plenty of ways to get around it.

I wouldn't be opposed to matching the gargoyle flight timer but that's not even a big deal. Use a real mount and you can dismount/mount very quickly.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I agree that the delay shouldn't be removed. But just to play devil's advocate, and admittedly, I don't pvp, how would removing the delay on remounting an ethy be much different from gargoyles flying ability?

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They put a timer because it was super easy to remount before...at least now you can get interrupted...If they removed the timer I would die once every 5 months , since now they will remove the splinter disarm , I think I will never die in the game unless I play stupid.

And it's not useless...if you want to go PRO mode as many of us old pvpers, you just go buy some teleport rings and invis items.

Make a macro for invis item and a macro for tele ring + double click your ethy at the same time...so when you press this macro you target far away (so you teleport ) and in the between you mount on the ethy, nobody can interrupt you almost ever....

And anyway ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS play with a VVV horse or a Lesser Hyru if you have bushido or a swampie whatever....always play with a mount ( now even the Lasher).... , if you see an archer with an heavy xbow you can hit your macro to dmount yourself sometimes, he will shoot at you and he will lose the special cuz you're already dimounted and you can remount and go away ....

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wanting mounting ethies to use FC/FCR? If you have FC/FCR... teleport away lol then mount up. Ethies are good the way they are, dismount would count for nothing if you could just instamount and ethy, this thread is ridiculous. Ganks happen, don't cry about ethies bc you got ganked.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I agree that the delay shouldn't be removed. But just to play devil's advocate, and admittedly, I don't pvp, how would removing the delay on remounting an ethy be much different from gargoyles flying ability?
Just think of it as a live mount. You can basically (as fast as the server speed) instantly mount or dismount (outside of que'd action response). So, you get dismounted and only have to survive the timer to instantly mount and run away. A hard mount (VvV) can at least be killed, para shot, riding swipe etc to prevent the target from instantly mounting once the timer is up. It's the balance between the two. One is kill-able/instant mount, the other is not kill-able, delayed and disruptable.

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has that broken PVP?
There is a difference between investing 100-120 skill points for a insta cast animal form versus everyone have an instant cast mount for free.
If they were to buff ethies to be instant cast or scale off FC/FCR then they are nerfing ninjitsu and hurting all templates that do not run FC/FCR.

What your essentially asking is give everyone a free animal form w/o skill, which is unbalanced.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
how would removing the delay on remounting an ethy be much different from gargoyles flying ability?
Gargoyle flying has a cast time also allowing it to be interrupted.

the cast time is shorter than it is to mount an ethy, but at the same time, gargoyles have no other options for a quicker mounting speed outside of an exploit.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This GM Runner would never die in fel if this was removed. Ride a live mount or deal with the penalty for ethies.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I pretty much stopped pvp'ing because dismount is such a death sentence

you used to be able to get back on your ethereal and then they changed it to the way it is now - that was it for me

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
There is a difference between investing 100-120 skill points for a insta cast animal form versus everyone have an instant cast mount for free.
If they were to buff ethies to be instant cast or scale off FC/FCR then they are nerfing ninjitsu and hurting all templates that do not run FC/FCR.

What your essentially asking is give everyone a free animal form w/o skill, which is unbalanced.
So EVERYONE getting to use something is unbalancing?
Seems that that's actually the opposite.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Gargoyle flying has a cast time also allowing it to be interrupted.

the cast time is shorter than it is to mount an ethy, but at the same time, gargoyles have no other options for a quicker mounting speed outside of an exploit.
I agree.
But I think having an ethys cast time the same as a Gargs cast time would be completely accesptable. Why not?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So, not to pick a side on this, but has anyone stopped to think that their might be a reason for the delay? You know like the server and client have to sync up an entirely different set of animations, art, etc to override the default ones?

Like I said I'm not picking sides, but you'd think it would be reasonable to ask if there actually is a reason for something before asking for a change.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
It's a spell. It should have a cast time.

Leave it as is.
That's totally reasonable.
Why not allow it to cast as quickly as the Gargs do?
I think that the cast time on ethys is a throw back to a time that doesn't exist in UO anymore and it could use an adjustment.
We allow people to use macros to instantly dismount their mount, hit YOU with a dismount and then immediatly remount their horse with no delays or waiting.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
So, not to pick a side on this, but has anyone stopped to think that their might be a reason for the delay? You know like the server and client have to sync up an entirely different set of animations, art, etc to override the default ones?

Like I said I'm not picking sides, but you'd think it would be reasonable to ask if there actually is a reason for something before asking for a change.
Gargs can cast to fly faster than you can mount an ethy.
You can make a macro to mount and dismount your horse as fast as you can mash the buttons.
Not trying to shoot you down, but I don't think server delay would have any bearing on adjusting the mount time of an ethy.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Just think of it as a live mount. You can basically (as fast as the server speed) instantly mount or dismount (outside of que'd action response). So, you get dismounted and only have to survive the timer to instantly mount and run away. A hard mount (VvV) can at least be killed, para shot, riding swipe etc to prevent the target from instantly mounting once the timer is up. It's the balance between the two. One is kill-able/instant mount, the other is not kill-able, delayed and disruptable.
I totally accept what your saying and those are valid points.
I concede that.
Throw the insta cast out.
Adjust the ethy mount time to be the same as a Gargs flying cast.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
@Hunter Perilous as you saw in our battle you are not going to die 9/10 if you're dismounted. There are plenty of ways to get around it.

I wouldn't be opposed to matching the gargoyle flight timer but that's not even a big deal. Use a real mount and you can dismount/mount very quickly.
Bro, your "ability" to be dismounted and then teleport 10 times in a row, from screen to screen, without ever getting the "can't teleport to this location" message, and do all this while getting hit AND healing yourself is remarkable! Otherworldly! You must have the luck of the devil...or something... ;)

I agree, I think there are ways around it.
I'm talking specifically about the cast time of ethys though. It's looooong.
I think adjusting it to the Gargs cast time is a great idea!

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

When they were first published they were instant. Not sure if you remember, but you could bola and remount your ethy instantly. This is why I am questioning the logic of this guys post. We have already had the suggestion in game AND it was changed to balance it. I don't see why we are even trying to discuss it.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
That's totally reasonable.
Why not allow it to cast as quickly as the Gargs do?
I think that the cast time on ethys is a throw back to a time that doesn't exist in UO anymore and it could use an adjustment.
We allow people to use macros to instantly dismount their mount, hit YOU with a dismount and then immediatly remount their horse with no delays or waiting.
Ok, I am going to ask you to really think about what you are saying because you clearly are not.

For starters gargs have no option of a hard mount or a soft mount, so logically doesn't it make sense that they get a mounting speed in the middle to balance it? Yes, yes it does.

It's not a throw back when it is still relevant. Nothing has changed AT ALL in game to require a change to ethy's mount time.

If you dismount and then land a dismount YOU CANNOT REMOUNT. There is a timer that prevents it. This puts the dismounter at an equal playing field with the player that was put on foot.

How comfortable are you with game mechanics? I would suggest going to www.uoguide.com or Ultima Online Wiki – Ultima Online and freshen up...

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally accept what your saying and those are valid points.
I concede that.
Throw the insta cast out.
Adjust the ethy mount time to be the same as a Gargs flying cast.
I think the developers thought long and hard about giving gargoyles the racial ability to fly. I think it is balanced and fair to allow them a quicker mount speed. They, unlike humans and elves, do not get cool ethys to ride. They cannot mount their dying dreadmare, hiryu or VVV horse, save it, and run out of harms way. They only have the ability to use skill points in ninja to animal form or rely solely on their wings. I think it was a fair trade off and therefore should also be left out of the equation in terms of what you want.

Last edited:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The delay is in place for a reason. A player shouldn't be able to mount a creature instantly out of thin air. Implementing this would guarantee a remount after several seconds every time. There is no way to poison or paralyze the ethy nor disrupt the player to break their attempt to remount. What you are asking for would take away the skill needed to overcome a dismount and would nerf dismounting entirely.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This request would cancel out the risk vs. reward aspect between live and ethereal mounts. If this is really an issue for people, maybe they might benefit from adding animal taming to their template or going VvV.