• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When can I resize a house?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A friend placed a house just now but it's small so he could quickly grab the spot. He wants to resize to a larger house that will fit there but he isn't sure what the housing rules are for resizing. Can he resize right now or does he need to wait?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does he have another house on that account that went into decay when this small house was placed?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
With it kicking another house into decay, to be safe I'd suggest he drop the decaying house as soon as he empties it then wait til the house placement timer (7 days I think) is up.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that creates a problem of what to do with his stuff? If he moves it to the new place, when he goes to resize it's going to be on the ground.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well that creates a problem of what to do with his stuff? If he moves it to the new place, when he goes to resize it's going to be on the ground.
Blue beetles for each toon on his account.... Stuff Bank Boxes... And a full complement of Pack Horses for the character handling the resize.. stick as much in commodity deeds as possible to stuff everyone's pack as well... Power and Trans scroll books..... If you have a second account, do the same with it if necessary to hold stuff for the move...

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is this his ONLY option? I tried searching for housing rules and resizing for UO and found very little info.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But why go through all that? From what I am understanding after reading up on this is: 1. Empty his decaying house and load up everything on packies, beetles, chars and drop that house. Now since he only has one house (the newly placed one) he should be able to resize now? Is this correct or does he need to WAIT 7 days from now before resizing?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
But why go through all that? From what I am understanding after reading up on this is: 1. Empty his decaying house and load up everything on packies, beetles, chars and drop that house. Now since he only has one house (the newly placed one) he should be able to resize now? Is this correct or does he need to WAIT 7 days from now before resizing?
That's the way it "Should" Work, but there have been too many instances where either I've seen it happen or heard of it reported where it didn't work correctly for me to trust not waiting the 7 days.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my experience the housing is very buggy and more than likely if he tries to resize now it will only end in him not being able to replace the house down and he'll lose the spot.

He really should wait the 7 days.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
No, He dont!!

there is 2 different scenarios:

1) Right now, show on his account that he own 2 houses, the one he placed and the one he had b4, He can NOT resize the new plot, because he still have the old one, if he try to resize , he will not be able to replot!!

2) If the previous house is not that loaded at all, just pack everything into packies and demolish the house that is now staging and than go back to the one he just plotted and move in or resize*

*There is a trick in this situation, If he use only 1 toon to make all this happen, he will have to wait 1 hour between demolishing 1 house and resizing the other.

If was me doing this, I would do the following "Trick" I would use 1 toon from the "same" account, to pack everything into packies and than demolish the house and than transfer the packies to a friend or something, and than bring a 2nd toon from the same account and resize the plot that he want to make bigger and than move in, that way you will "skip" the 1 hour in between "plotting" :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Having a good, trustworthy, guild/alliance is also a plus.

Over the last 14 years, I've had many a guildmate have to drop houses as part of resizing, and because we were trusting enough with each other, we could empty the house being brought down into designated parts of others houses (especially into keeps and castles), redo the houses for the person doing it, then start hauling it back once customization was done (often, with multiple players handling the move both way, usually multiple alliance guildmasters).

Saves a hell of a lot of time, but requires actually making and maintaining friendships in the game.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
happy ending
~I had this same issue and didn't know. when I tried to resize I got that message I couldn't place.
luckily I was on a shard with friends and reached out to said friends. they helped me move my stuff out of condemned house to their house and drop that one, then I could replace in new spot :)

moral of the story? friends, my friend

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After about 4 hours of placing and dropping the first house, he did resize and everything went fine. :)
Glad to hear. Always worry it won't... never can tell.