• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Vultures Won...

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Drachenfels has lost an invaluable part of its history.

Today Godiva's Rares Information Center fell. :frown2:

The Rares Information Center (RIC) was one of the last true rare museums on Drachenfels.

It was first located in a beautiful house at the lower west entrance of the city of Zento. It contained a comprehensive collection of server birth rares (all here from Drachenfels!), each carefully displayed with its own history book next to it.

RIC.jpg

The RIC was later moved to a castle on Marble Island in Felucca, where it resided until today.

Godiva was/is one of the most knowledgeable persons on Drachenfels, when it came to rares.
She was also an outspoken opponent to shard transferring and she hated to see our shard's history fade away, due to the unscrupulous vultures with their dreadful transfer tokens.

This afternoon, both her castles fell.

The vultures did their job, a few player killers did theirs and after a short while, only a few items of decorative value were left on the ground for decay.

This is truly a sad day for our little shard.:sad4:

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear that. Have a feeling things like this will be happening more and more often though. It's very painful to lose shard history.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm gonna be my usual charming self and point out that almost nobody ever really cares about so-and-so's billion year old Felucca house that's totally historically important. Oh if I only had a dollar for every seer-blessed Fel house some roleplayer dragged me to so I could see how important their abandoned guild was back during the Clinton Administration. I'd have, like, several dollars. You walk around awkwardly praising the place while secretly thinking how stupid it looks compared to the modern custom house of basically anyone who puts in any effort.

I forget what my point was. Oh yeah, they should have kept coughing up their fifteen dollars. Or passed the place off to someone who would. Wait, did they die IRL or something? If so then, uh, yeah buddy, shame how their UO house fell. Oh wait no I see a "was/is" in there so they probably just buggered off to play Warcraft. Which is fun but gets old quickly, but at least you can just quit Warcraft with a clean conscience instead of paying $180 a year or something to maintain a pixel museum nobody goes to while you think about all the Third World orphans that money could feed wonder WTF you're doing.

Anyway... uh... SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The good old days... A time when much of the world looked like the cover of the Led Zepplin album 'Houses of the Holy'.

I should mention that for at least a few rares in the wiki, the info came from seeing them at Godiva's. I was there. There were many steps and columns, it was most tranquil.

So at least one person visited there in the last year or two. The pixels stored there helped build me collect the info for the rares database in the wiki, which a good percentage of rares collectors now find quite useful.

But now it's fallen, and that sucks.

So Spock's Beard, while I agree that San Dimas High School Football rules, you seem to have forgotten the lesson...

Be excellent to each other.

Maybe it didn't mean anything to you, but that doesn't mean it meant nothing to everyone else too.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Likely going to see it's rares pop up in an auction on Atlantic, and then sitting in a Luna house on Atlantic. That seems to be the fate of all shard rares/event items these days.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
From a unbiased and almost spiritual view; it is truly interesting to see the evolution of the game and its player base. I have seen very old collections fall, get dispersed and then recollected by "new players" only then to have those "new players" museums fall.. items yet again recycled.

Its a shame, yet the vultures will always remain... circling above (well I guess in UO circling = scripting)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm gonna be my usual charming self and point out that almost nobody ever really cares about so-and-so's billion year old Felucca house that's totally historically important. Oh if I only had a dollar for every seer-blessed Fel house some roleplayer dragged me to so I could see how important their abandoned guild was back during the Clinton Administration. I'd have, like, several dollars. You walk around awkwardly praising the place while secretly thinking how stupid it looks compared to the modern custom house of basically anyone who puts in any effort.

I forget what my point was. Oh yeah, they should have kept coughing up their fifteen dollars. Or passed the place off to someone who would. Wait, did they die IRL or something? If so then, uh, yeah buddy, shame how their UO house fell. Oh wait no I see a "was/is" in there so they probably just buggered off to play Warcraft. Which is fun but gets old quickly, but at least you can just quit Warcraft with a clean conscience instead of paying $180 a year or something to maintain a pixel museum nobody goes to while you think about all the Third World orphans that money could feed wonder WTF you're doing.

If the game and everything in it has that little meaning to you then why do you play???

Honestly there are several things in UO that if it was gone would be a very sad day indeed. One such place on GLs fell and was devastating for many GLs players. Thankfully Mesanna made a memorial there... though I wish we could have the old place back and I wish it had never fallen... supposedly that account was supposed to be a "lifetime" account... but somehow the house still fell and Kazola's was no more. While that may mean nothing at all to you to many players on GLs that place was full of fond memories and wonderful stories and was a huge part of life on GLs... anyone who was anyone on GLs knew of Kazola's... and without it the shard isn't the same.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the game and everything in it has that little meaning to you then why do you play???
Why do you assume meaning is necessary? It is possible to play and enjoy the game simply because its fun or entertaining. Meaning is not required ... its just a game.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Vultures Won...
Nobody won. Sure the idocers think they did but thats their short sighted mentality. They see every house that falls as more personal gain for them but the truth of it is that with every house that falls UO takes one step closer to being no more.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why do you assume meaning is necessary? It is possible to play and enjoy the game simply because its fun or entertaining. Meaning is not required ... its just a game.
While the game is just a game to you to others it is an escape from reality, to some it is where they go to hang out with their friends like "Cheers" ..... where everyone knows your "fake" name but you feel welcome and enjoy the company. To some it's where they get together with family for a good time. It's more than a game. And sometimes it's more than Pixels. Sometimes it's notes from friends, fond memories of good times... and things of that nature. To some it was an investment.

To some their house in-game is an extension of their home IRL... if they lost it they would be just as devastated as if they lost something in their home... some feel just as violated if they get hacked and lose things in game as they would if someone broke into their home IRL and stole from them. Maybe not to the same extent exactly but it is still painful... bonds get formed. Problem with some attitudes is many who feel it's "just a game" tend to forget that the other players are real people too... who have feelings not just some computer generated thing. Many of us have spent a great portion of our lives in Sosaria...

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the game is just a game to you to others it is an escape from reality, to some it is where they go to hang out with their friends like "Cheers" ..... where everyone knows your "fake" name but you feel welcome and enjoy the company. To some it's where they get together with family for a good time. It's more than a game. And sometimes it's more than Pixels. Sometimes it's notes from friends, fond memories of good times... and things of that nature. To some it was an investment.

To some their house in-game is an extension of their home IRL... if they lost it they would be just as devastated as if they lost something in their home... some feel just as violated if they get hacked and lose things in game as they would if someone broke into their home IRL and stole from them. Maybe not to the same extent exactly but it is still painful... bonds get formed. Problem with some attitudes is many who feel it's "just a game" tend to forget that the other players are real people too... who have feelings not just some computer generated thing. Many of us have spent a great portion of our lives in Sosaria...
I agree. To some people the game has meaning. You were asking why someone would play if it had no meaning and I was pointing out to you that not everyone needs meaning in order to play and enjoy. Meaning simply isnt necesssary.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I met a person one day that wanted to sell some frag tokens, now I know the cost, but like to haggle, and always start low, he, however, was not one to haggle and stated he would loot my houses someday when they fell, my remark was, would you like runes to them? He left in a huff and puff, but the offer still stands today I give runes to my houses, I am 65 years old and know that I will not be around forever.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I admit, I hit "Like" strictly based on the Bill and Ted's reference :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Because I like to play the game. That's play, not walk around on various inept RP toons while making super-valid complaints like "town buffs don't help my char because my char never does anything" and the like.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Because I like to play the game. That's play, not walk around on various inept RP toons while making super-valid complaints like "town buffs don't help my char because my char never does anything" and the like.
Town buffs do nothing for my Governor... though she maintains faithfully the Bardic Trade Deal as the Citizens of her city have asked of her. And she will continue to maintain that buff so long as there is gold on the town stone to do so and the Citizens do not change their minds regarding what buff they want... Did it even when all the gold for it came out of my own pocket.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which is fun but gets old quickly, but at least you can just quit Warcraft with a clean conscience instead of paying $180 a year or something to maintain a pixel museum nobody goes to while you think about all the Third World orphans that money could feed wonder WTF you're doing.
This hits too close to home. :(