• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Major CPU usage problem with latest patch

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

My friends and I have encountered a pretty serious CPU usage problem with the latest classic client version 7.0.56.0.

While logged in CPU usage is pretty standard, however when logged out the CPU usage of client.exe jumps to a whopping 25-32% usage- a number one would only see in the most intensive gameplay scenarios (EM events, in-game masses, etc.). This did not occur prior to the latest force patch from January 25th, 2017.

A few other pieces of info:
  • This is occurring on both Windows 7 and 10
  • This is occurring with both a vanilla client and UOA
  • This is occurring on a freshly opened client that has yet to login
  • Task manager setting of client.exe CPU priority does not affect the CPU usage of client.exe even when the system is pegged at 100% CPU usage
  • The latest enhanced client version 4.0.56.0 does not have this issue

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is normal. The CC has always been a CPU HOG while setting idle waiting for you to select a shard.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That is normal. The CC has always been a CPU HOG while setting idle waiting for you to select a shard.
It is not normal as I regularly had 3 classic clients opened and was not having a ~30% CPU usage per client, it was always in the single digits for most of my friends and I prior to this latest patch. Also, it is not connected to waiting to select a shard- this is also occurring with a completely logged out client on the sign-in screen.

I am 100% positive that I was able to have quite a few classic clients logged out and minimized with a very small CPU load (1-5% CPU usage per client) prior to this patch.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I guess that would be a big problem when you want to run 12 clients at once ;)

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I guess that would be a big problem when you want to run 12 clients at once ;)
I've never had more than 3 active accounts in my entire history of UO, so not sure what you're insinuating. I always keep two clients open due to having PvP characters are separate accounts, and regularly keep a third account logged-in to use vendor search. So yeah, you could say it's a big problem to have 90% CPU usage when those 3 clients are logged out.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been normal for years. I run the task manager minimized for the task bar meter showing system load, it runs high when a client isn't logged in. Playing dual client is something I commonly do.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After logging out and sitting idle on the login-screen client.exe does start to use more memory... It's been brought up on Stratics before. (search seems to be bugged)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While logged in CPU usage is pretty standard, however when logged out the CPU usage of client.exe jumps to a whopping 25-32% usage- a number one would only see in the most intensive gameplay scenarios (EM events, in-game masses, etc.). This did not occur prior to the latest force patch from January 25th, 2017.
Yes, as everyone else states, that's the behaviour for years now. Nothing new.
And yes, this only is the case on the login screen (Around 16-17% CPU load here).
Once logged in, whether it is on the shard selection, char selection or actual gameplay, it is back to normal (that's usually 3-4% on my machine).

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Left at login screen, if you check your GPU and CPU temperatures you will also notice that they will go up considerably, usually 10 to 20 degrees Centigrade or even more. But as someone said, this has always been the case. This is another reason I play EC because I live in a tropical climate with no air conditioning in my house and usual yearround daytime room temperatures at my desk are high 80's to low 90's.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know from experience that if you leave the CC on the log in screen you will have your pc working like a slave... all the fans will be on high in no time... and LAG! If I'm not able to log in right away I never leave that screen up...

The EC has the problem to a certain extent but not nearly as bad as the CC.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
All I can say is that while the log-in screen CPU usage numbers were never great before (usually in the teens) they have never been as consistently bad as they are now, just days after a force patch. I refuse to believe that the login screen CPU usage of my friends and I's computers has doubled basically overnight and that it has nothing to do with the latest patch.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is that while the log-in screen CPU usage numbers were never great before (usually in the teens) they have never been as consistently bad as they are now, just days after a force patch. I refuse to believe that the login screen CPU usage of my friends and I's computers has doubled basically overnight and that it has nothing to do with the latest patch.
TBH I don't understand the uproar. Maybe it got worse with the latest patch. But the problem has been there like forever.
Plus, how much time do you spend at the login screen? Typing in the password takes a second, let's make that 10 seconds if you're reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally slow.
So I can't see how this might be a big deal or affect gameplay at all.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
TBH I don't understand the uproar. Maybe it got worse with the latest patch. But the problem has been there like forever.
Plus, how much time do you spend at the login screen? Typing in the password takes a second, let's make that 10 seconds if you're reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally slow.
So I can't see how this might be a big deal or affect gameplay at all.
I don't stay logged in primarily because I will inevitably time-out (as I'm playing other games, eating, whatever). I don't want to close to the clients because I shouldn't have to, and don't do so for the login screen of any other game (including other 15-20 year old games). If I'm doing something at one shard from 7 to 8PM, and then have nothing to do in game until 8:15PM, I'd rather just leave my clients open rather than have to close and re-open them just because the spaghetti code has become even worse.

Given the demographic of UO and the amount of players I regularly encounter who neglect to ever restart their computers (as in they can't remember the last time it was restarted) let alone close their UO client when logging out, it seems silly to neglect something that has gotten worse and that does affect virtually everyone who doesn't close their client before doing any other strenuous activity on their computer.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the client has always pegged the cpu at 100% when logged out - for the last 20 years
a few patches ago, I think they made an effort to fix that and maybe they did, but maybe the patch got undone somehow with the latest version
if you're super worried about it, there are 3rd party programs that fix this very problem (hehe)

btw, whether you realize it or not, the game technically is pegging the CPU at 100%, it's just that with these new multi-core processors, you're only pegging 1 core at 100% - so if you have a 4 core CPU, that means that 1 core is at 100% so you see 25% in task manager because it's only 1 of 4 cores (100/4 = 25)

if 2 cores out of 4 were running full speed then it would be 50% in task manager

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't stay logged in primarily because I will inevitably time-out (as I'm playing other games, eating, whatever). I don't want to close to the clients because I shouldn't have to
I can accept that, but I will never understand, why someone is doing it.
Good luck getting a issue fixed, which is known for several years. (I don't mind, if it is getting fixed, but I just can't see it happening.)

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Long term players have known for years never to leave the client sitting at the log in screen. Why would you?
Because it has never been as bad as it is as of the most recent patch, and if you get a connection lost from inactivity timer it also starts occurring then. If you didn't have an awful computer it really didn't matter much until this patch.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never really had a problem that I can remember with this. Although I don't usually leave my client open when I'm not logged in. Mostly because it just tends to crash after a while.

So, I thought I'd check my cpu usage on my 3 computers currently set up (Yah, I multi-box with my multiple computer boxes ! I just don't use illegal 3rd party programs)

Here is what I'm finding after leaving the client at the log in screen for 30 minutes:

Computer #1
Intel i7-5930K @3.50Ghz
32.0GB RAM
Windows 10 Education

UO Client is running around 12%

Computer #2
Intel i7-6700K @4.00Ghz
16.0GB RAM
Windows 10 Education

UO Client is running around 15%

Computer #3
Intel i7-6700 @3.40Ghz
16.0GB RAM
Windows 10 Education

UO Client is running around 18%

I have nothing to compare these to from before the last patch, but doesn't seem excessive to me. At least not yet. When I do log in cpu usage drops to around 3%, 3%, and 5% respectively.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has always been the case for me. I never leave a login screen open for long because of it. It may have increased though recently, I wouldnt know as i dont leave the login open for very long. :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are ya'll talking about with "leaving it at the login screen" ? When Im done for the night/day, I log out and the client stays up with my username showing and the pword blank. Is this what you're referring to as the login screen ? I feel stupid for some reason. What's the alternative ? Close the client every time I log out ? nah

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To clarify, when you are in game you're fine. If you log out and sit at the login/password screen THAT is when CPU goes through the roof. That's a lot of use for a screen that is essentially not changing. What's going on that the login screen needs 10x the CPU as when logged in?
Thanks for that info. Ill close that page instead of just leaving it on that screen for hours.