• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Proposal: Allow castles and keeps to be better customized

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Now imagine an entire plot like that..no thanks.
Yes, wierdness happens and the client does seem to load some random things regardless. But in terms of the entire castle, it just doesn't happen like that.

Here's the I-didn't-step-on-the-steps version of what you see for my own castle from earlier in this thread. Note that the entire house isn't loading, as you worry would happen:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
BUT if all of that was customized items...you don't know what will load and what won't.....I'd rather not risk it.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
BUT if all of that was customized items...you don't know what will load and what won't.....I'd rather not risk it.
The upper 3 floors of that castle, as well as all possible areas of the 2nd floor, already are stone-crafted items. I honestly don't see the difference, or what you're risking.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it was all customized you would very likely see LESS than you do now. Barring those few odd type items that load no matter what (which if they load no matter what have NO impact either way) all you would see of a 5 story 31x31 would be the base footprint of the floor (much like running by an empty 18x18).

Like I said before, no legitimate arguments.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This animosity and tendency to take opposition ideas to absurd extremes is the reason why I suggested semi-customization.

Semi-customization would be as follows:

1. Stone types would be limited to a few types, but you could request from a list of approved colors. So, there would be no way to create "borg cubes", in any color. (frankly, the utter conformity of stock castles, and the legerdemain one has to go through for adding levels with gozas, hurts my eyes more than the worst borg cube - but that's just me as an amateur historian that actually considered architecture as a major, before I realized I was too ADHD for it. I would later win a money prize for a dorm redesign contest, by designing a means of turning 3 2-person rooms into a suite with 2 2-person bedrooms connected by a common kitchenette/study room)
  2. For a 31x31 Castle plot, you'd have the following modules:
    * The 4 corners at 10x10,
    * the N/E/S/W outside/center blocks at 10x11 or 11x10 (depending on orientation),
    * and the center block at 11x11.
    * much like dungeon tile systems for tabletop gaming, the tiles for each location will have doorways at the same spots across the board - that one can use the craftable sections to wall up or place doors into, as one sees fit.
    * Some sections will come with options of teleporters instead of stairs, to free up more internal space.
    * if you allow 32x32, you'd have 11x11 corners, and the center block 10x10.
  3. Some of these will be "partial" blocks, with open floor tiles where the castle is open, to allow placement on areas where blocking terrain currently exists while still allowing castle placement. The blocks that terrain would prevent choosing would be dimmed out in such cases.
    * The basic castle design would still be possible from choosing the appropriate blocks, and would be placed at initial placement, to be modified later.
  4. Such a system would probably require all items be removed (stored elsewhere, or possibly the moving crate), to start.
  5. One aspect of this is that the modules are small enough to create suggestions for new modules on TC using the existing tools, though the Castle/Keep customization would probably require its own specific tool. Broadsword could then tour the proposals and decide whether to add them as options.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Let's just agree to disagree. you cannot change my mind, nor can I change yours.

I think a fully customizable castle-sized post is a bad idea, end of story.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@Basara, why all that complexity? 32x32 or 18x18, there's no real difference. Why should a castle or keep have all that complexity and limitations, while an 18x18 or smaller has unlimited color choice and complexity?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am so glad that all my houses (castles and keeps) are in out of the way spots so no one can put one of those things where I can see it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Brian - The idea was a compromise to make the castles mutable, within limits, but not so wildly that we run into the "cube" problem.

And, by doing so by using sectional designs, it would give many more options than simply introducing a few more castle variants.

I know that, even before I began playing UO, people were asking for at least different teleporter or door/room options for the castle and keep, and the solutions have really been suboptimal (you still have all the wasted space in the stairwells, even if you ignore the voids). It's one of the reasons I never owned a castle until someone gave me one, and even then I only use it for storage.

A TRUE castle or keep should be 4-8x the size of the game buildings (as well as being out of the ability for players to have, except as a group), and the usable space in the "mini" versions we have is compromised by the down-scaling to barely being of use.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Brian - The idea was a compromise to make the castles mutable, within limits, but not so wildly that we run into the "cube" problem.

And, by doing so by using sectional designs, it would give many more options than simply introducing a few more castle variants.

I know that, even before I began playing UO, people were asking for at least different teleporter or door/room options for the castle and keep, and the solutions have really been suboptimal (you still have all the wasted space in the stairwells, even if you ignore the voids). It's one of the reasons I never owned a castle until someone gave me one, and even then I only use it for storage.

A TRUE castle or keep should be 4-8x the size of the game buildings (as well as being out of the ability for players to have, except as a group), and the usable space in the "mini" versions we have is compromised by the down-scaling to barely being of use.
Thing thing is we don't need to debate the "cube issue"... it is already in game. You may just not realize it because unless you step on the house you can't see it. For those that worry about seeing a 31x31 neon cube, as long as you stay off the steps you wouldn't ever see one. Less lag running by castles, not more. No need for a custom tool, just a footprint plot... and perhaps down the road some more craftables.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The main reason I own a castle is simply for storage... while I would really enjoy having a larger plot to customize, I would be ok with an 18x18 getting the same storage space as a castle. ;-)

I believe you would see more land open up, because let's be honest, the original castle design is god awful in terms of usability and the only reason (most) people own one is for the prestige, or the storage.

Maybe there is reason to rehash this with @Mesanna, @Bleak, @Kyronix again since the tile load radius was bumped from 18 to 24. At least then in a 24x24 the entire house would be visible instead of disappearing (which is my guess as to why they squashed the idea of larger houses in the first place... the aesthetics of half your house disappearing/reappearing while you are inside of it isn't awesome.)

So let's hear it for 24x24 plots with castle like storage limits!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I had a castle I would try to contribute to the thread. Hehe

But, I have a question. Where did the term "borg cubes" come from?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@SugarMMM - never watched Star Trek;Next Generation at all, did you? Borg is short for cyborg ... were the enemy in more than one episode and movie. Their ships? Cube-shaped monstrosities. Thus "borg cube" housing references.

Now, for my woefully late input on this whole topic. I've never had a castle but have had a keep. It was a pure b**ch to deco (before the current extra goodies). I'm leaning toward the ability to have **something** larger than 18x18 but not necessarily the 31x31 size of a castle plot. Perhaps 24x24 as largest plot.

Basara had a good idea on the modular construction of a larger plot. If able to be implemented we'd not need this discussion as you could make plots of varying sizes to suit almost everyone. Combine 2 or 3 of these modules for a 20x 20 plot for example.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

I get what you're saying. I also seriously doubt that the devs would invest time into that. On the other hand, a blank plot the size of a castle or keep is a pretty simple thing, especially if we don't want it to be customizable. I'm just looking towards what actually has a chance of happening, rather than something that even if agreed to wouldn't happen for another 5 or 10 years. :p

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just wish to make a few holes in castle and keep's walls to place a few more doors. I would love to see less castles in the game as they take up lots of Space.
If I could get same count of lockdown in a 18x18 plot as in my castle, I would drop my second castle.

Now I do like the idea of a large customizing plot, just not castle size. Maybe make a 24x24 size but only 2 stores and can't be made private. That would allow me to build Townhouse at North and West side.
That would allow my chars to have a little home each 7x8 / 8x7 of maybe a shared place 10x10 in NW corner together with a garden at center and vendors placed at South and East side.

Yes some would build a big ugly cube but I'm sure we would see nice places too.

We need circle of trans to work in the customising walls and doors too.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This all really sounds like you already own the biggest plot footprint in the game, the largest storage capacity, the most valuable home, and the most prestigious. Still not enough for you. More more more. Want customisation ... get an 18x18.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I disagree. Just because you own a castle or a keep does not mean you shouldn't be able to do similar things as all other house types. A bare plot is NOT a big ask.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree.
You do surprise me.

Just because you own a castle or a keep does not mean you shouldn't be able to do similar things as all other house types. .
Why? Differentiation and pros/cons between house/plot types arent a bad thing. The trade off between a large house plot and castle/keep are size and storage vs full customisability. Trade offs are a part of most aspects of games like this (eg 5 slot pet vs 4 slot pet = power trade off for ability to mount). Your self righteous sense of entitlement is stopping you from seeing this of course.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do surprise me.

Why? Differentiation and pros/cons between house/plot types arent a bad thing. The trade off between a large house plot and castle/keep are size and storage vs full customisability. Trade offs are a part of most aspects of games like this (eg 5 slot pet vs 4 slot pet = power trade off for ability to mount). Your self righteous sense of entitlement is stopping you from seeing this of course.
No offense, but your argument here basically boils down to this:

You: For any house size less than 18x18 you can select prebuilt house models or an equivalent sized plot and customize the layout.
Brian: What about the two sizes larger than 18x18
You: anything larger than 18x18 and your just stuck with the prebuilt design.
Brian: why?
You: Because larger houses have more storage, so that's the trade off.
Brian: You don't have that tradeoff between a 7x7 and an 18x18, why should it exist between an 18x18 and a 24x24
You: just because.
Brian: Huh?
You: just because!

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Well said.

Just looking at castles, ignoring keeps, there's at least 48 spots on every shard. That's 1200 castle spots, minimum. And funny, some of those are empty. For the couple of people in this thread who seem to resent castle owners, you too can have one.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense, but your argument here basically boils down to this:

You: For any house size less than 18x18 you can select prebuilt house models or an equivalent sized plot and customize the layout.
Brian: What about the two sizes larger than 18x18
You: anything larger than 18x18 and your just stuck with the prebuilt design.
Brian: why?
You: Because larger houses have more storage, so that's the trade off.
Brian: You don't have that tradeoff between a 7x7 and an 18x18, why should it exist between an 18x18 and a 24x24
You: just because.
Brian: Huh?
You: just because!
First off, stop inserting lines of stuff that you assert my argument boils down to, which I blatantly didnt say. Its misleading at best, and at worst down right dishonest, so actually ... offence taken.

Secondly there is a trade off between a 7x7 and an 18x18. Availability of options to place. The larger you go the fewer spots there are to place that house even on a completely empty shard. And yes, this is also a trade off for keeps and castles, but a) the benefits once you have placed/bought a castle/keep are already huge, and b) this is really all about you already having the best option currently available but still not being satisfied.

I hope this never sees the light of day as your sense of entitlement is quite frankly arrogant.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off, stop inserting lines of stuff that you assert my argument boils down to, which I blatantly didnt say. Its misleading at best, and at worst down right dishonest, so actually ... offence taken.

Secondly there is a trade off between a 7x7 and an 18x18. Availability of options to place. The larger you go the fewer spots there are to place that house even on a completely empty shard. And yes, this is also a trade off for keeps and castles, but a) the benefits once you have placed/bought a castle/keep are already huge, and b) this is really all about you already having the best option currently available but still not being satisfied.

I hope this never sees the light of day as your sense of entitlement is quite frankly arrogant.
You further made my point perfectly.

There is no difference in trade off between a 7x7 -> 18x18 as there is between 18x18 -> 31x31 except your "just because"....

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no difference in trade off between a 7x7 -> 18x18 as there is between 18x18 -> 31x31 except your "just because"....
And yet again the "just because" which is quite clearly your own invention. Im done with this thread as you obviously have trouble with basic comprehension.

You are dismissed.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And yet again the "just because" which is quite clearly your own invention. Im done with this thread as you obviously have trouble with basic comprehension.

You are dismissed.
Ya, you really showed me.
:facepalm:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

You are dismissed.
He's perfectly welcome to continue to comment, actually. And he didn't claim that you said "just because".

But let's stick with your own words: "Secondly there is a trade off between a 7x7 and an 18x18. Availability of options to place. The larger you go the fewer spots there are to place that house even on a completely empty shard."

Sure, there's more 7x7 spots than 18x18 spot, just as there are more 18x18 spots than keep spots, and more keep spots than castle spots. (And yet, there's still over 1200 castle spots, and plenty are empty.)

A 7x7 or a 18x18, they have the exact same customization abilities. So why shouldn't castles or keeps have some ability to be modified? I'm already suggesting that they have lesser customization options, in that I'm only suggesting a raw plot, with no custom house tool access. Yet you continue to argue as if that weren't the case.

This isn't about a sense of entitlement. Rather, your antipathy towards and bias against castle and keep owners is showing through quite clearly.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To answer Tina...

No that's not what I was implying... Mesanna has said she is willing to consider new house designs to add to the menu of prebuilts. Of these she said new castle and keep designs are welcome. She will not make a "PLOT" of a castle (32 x 32) period. She would not mind if the designs were with the story levels higher but a smaller plot would be a trade off possibility workable. Mind you I would love to take a wrecking hammer to a few walls in my keeps and reshape a room or two and removes a set of stairs for teleporters in my castles... I had hoped we could ....was not happy this was not possible.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Completely terrible idea! Most of the lag and crashes that happen already are due to the stupid granite built smaller houses. It should have never been allowed to be added on to begin with. Only thing they could do is make the customize menu better so it just loads a house instead of a crapload of individual stone tiles. Worst thing added to UO since transfer shields!!!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Completely terrible idea! Most of the lag and crashes that happen already are due to the stupid granite built smaller houses. It should have never been allowed to be added on to begin with. Only thing they could do is make the customize menu better so it just loads a house instead of a crapload of individual stone tiles. Worst thing added to UO since transfer shields!!!
You do realize Custom Homes came before Transfer Shields.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
of prebuilts. Of these she said new castle and keep designs are welcome. She will not make a "PLOT" of a castle (32 x 32) period. She would not mind if the designs were with the story levels higher but a smaller plot would be a trade
Again, zero evidence for both claims.

For the former, Storm, you keep saying she's said it, but Mesanna herself has NEVER actually said it.

For the latter, Great DC, that doesn't even make sense. You don't load a house without stepping on the steps, with the exceptions already mentioned in this thread. The stone-crafted items are just items like anything else. They've not specifically created ANY crashes. As for lag, they're the same as any other item if used to excess AND if you actually load a given house.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This all really sounds like you already own the biggest plot footprint in the game, the largest storage capacity, the most valuable home, and the most prestigious. Still not enough for you. More more more. Want customisation ... get an 18x18.
I believe you did misunderstand me. Yes I do have 2 castles, one I like to keep public and used ad Hub, Vendor Shop and Event Place, the other one, I would give up if I could give if it not was for all the items in it.
I had been on Siege since the day the shard was born. I believe it took me 10 years to get my first castle.

If I could choose between keep my 2 castles or see all castles removed from the game and replaced of a 24x24 customizing plot or a more functionel Keep with same storage, I would give them up as I do feel 31x31 is to much to own for one account.

Alternative to allow same storage would be to add boxes for Armor, jevelry, gifts, etc. to decraze count of lockdowns.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why not let all houses have same storage count, why should a 7x7 have less storage than a 18x18? They pay the same for their account.
Maybe we should make it so you can choose between:

1. Castle, max 1 on an account. or the tiles it use for placement: (31+1) x (31+5) = 1152
2. Keep max one + free tiles for a second home on any shard. 1152 - ((24+1) x (24+5)) = 427 free tiles. That could be a 18x17 or 4 small 7x8 houses
3. 2x 18x18 + 278 free tiles, could be a 13x 13 house or 3 houses of 7x6 tiles

This way all would have same count of tiles for their account and lockdowns could be shared cross the houses with an options to set max for each house, so you could choose to use more lockdowns on your main house.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@FrejaSP, I'd totally support all house sizes having equal storage.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the latter, Great DC, that doesn't even make sense. You don't load a house without stepping on the steps, with the exceptions already mentioned in this thread. The stone-crafted items are just items like anything else. They've not specifically created ANY crashes. As for lag, they're the same as any other item if used to excess AND if you actually load a given house.
Apparently you have never run around trying to pvp near any of the new granite built houses! The game doesn't need more dumb **** like this. Devs need to spend more time fixing pvp and upgrading playable game content, not shiny house tiles.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Apparently you have never run around trying to pvp near any of the new granite built houses! The game doesn't need more dumb **** like this. Devs need to spend more time fixing pvp and upgrading playable game content, not shiny house tiles.
The thing is, those people doing it on the custom plots are using the bamboo floor deliberately to make them load to cause lag. That wouldn't be possible with what Brian has suggested... it would actually make less lag, because none of the walls, stairs, doors, etc would load at all.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do also support the same lockdowns across the house selection, it is not unfathomable many castle seekers would drop the hunt and go for the 18 x18 or smaller house. Not everyone likes a castle or keep.
Brian, I am sorry you missed some of the convo players have had with Mesanna. For many years players have asked her for different house designs, the ability to change castles and keeps, and even the bigger plots. Frodo even showed you one such a few pages back...
I myself have asked her for some of the changes. (the keep walls come to mind as one subject I had with her).
I also have sent the idea of a small increase in lockdowns for keeps and castles, the equalization of all homes to the castle lockdown number to help the cry for more room/land for castles and keeps. Any of which would go far to bring some peace to players who are straining to run 7 characters out of 1 house.
I also gave a suggestion of a second house for 20th year anniversary gift. (18 x 18 or less)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Brian, I am sorry you missed some of the convo players have had with Mesanna. For many years players have asked her for different house designs, the ability to change castles and keeps, and even the bigger plots. Frodo even showed you one such a few pages back...
If I recall correctly, the conversation Frodo cited was talking about using the customization tools with a castle plot. It said nothing about a non-customizable castle or keep sized plot. Mesanna has addressed the former. She's never spoken about the latter, as far as I've seen.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
again???

Knowing how many castles/keeps are placed with trees and other things in the grassy areas, and countless historic large towers still stand with balconies that hover over trees, a converter would not work. The code necessary to implement a converter would be rather intricate to write; checks and balances would take up way too many lines & leaves too much room for error on such a delicate and precious item - we do so love our castles!

The castle, keep & large tower are classic buildings and in my mind should not be tampered with. There are many players with historically recognized castles that would loath even a hint of the ability to turn into a plot - too tempting.

Since you are so keen on having that humongous size of a plot to throw stones onto (basically the land, nix the custom-tool and such), then by all means, that would be a request to turn in. "Devs, can we have just a large plot to build on, no customizing, just the plot please, and nothing but the plot so help us gawd, tyvm."

Then, you can have all the fun you want in finding an area large enough to accommodate such a plot that doesn't have obstructions (certain static twigs _still_ cause havok with placements).

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry again Brian that you missed out on these times the Lead Producer has mentioned that she is open to any submission in this re guard. I again state she did and also put a caviot on it that none will be plots. She will not ok a 32 x 32 castle plot, or a keep plot for that matter.
As for the rest....
Are you saying in all the designs I have seen in UO that one or two of you cant come up with a better castle and or keep design?
By all means if you need that many squares... but I think it can be just as good smaller footprint but a few stories higher. This will open up more room for them.
I have seen designs that had very interesting layouts and were 3 to 5 stories high. Many were on smaller footprints then the castle or keep took and was something many might go for with a small tweeking. Telepads added in in place of stairs in some areas...for example
All I am saying is this Brian
Mesanna is willing to look at new designs of keeps (26 x26 footpad) and castles (32 x 32 footpad) or smaller. It did not mean they had to be smaller but she would like to see some of them too. I know what you want... and no way in hell is she gunna give you a 32square tile plot to make one of your massive creations on... *shakes finger*
So give it up cookie.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Post 89 was from Kayhynn, and has nothing to do with a castle sized plot. Mesanna's only post on that page was #54, and the only even semi-relevant thing she said actually would go against what you're claiming:

"Please keep in mind prefabs are easier to do like this than redoing the whole system. If there are any other types/ sizes of prefabs you would like to see in the game this is your chance to submit those also."​

A castle-sized non-customizable plot is a prefab.

The castle, keep & large tower are classic buildings and in my mind should not be tampered with. There are many players with historically recognized castles that would loath even a hint of the ability to turn into a plot - too tempting.
I didn't say anything about messing with existing castles or keeps. I suggested allowing an OPTION to change a castle or keep from the base design to a bare non-customizable plot. Options don't force anything.

I am sorry again Brian that you missed out on these times the Lead Producer has mentioned that she is open to any submission in this re guard. I again state she did and also put a caviot on it that none will be plots. She will not ok a 32 x 32 castle plot, or a keep plot for that matter.
Yes, you keep saying that she said this. But you've yet to actually show anywhere where she said it. All she has said is that player-customizable castles and keeps, using the house customization tool, is a non-starter.

I know what you want... and no way in hell is she gunna give you a 32square tile plot to make one of your massive creations on... *shakes finger*
So give it up cookie.
Sorry, but I just find that quite condescending, "cookie".

The same few people keep making the same claims here, 1) that Mesanna has said she won't do this, 2) that they would cause too much lag for everyone, 3) that castle and keep owners simply should enjoy their storage and shut up, or 4) "Borg Cubes!".

Re: #1, she's never said it, and putting words into her mouth won't change that.

Re: #2, they don't load unless you step on the stairs, the same as any other house.

Re: #3, if you want a castle, go get a castle. For those of us who own castles or keeps, we'd like to see at least some flexibility to design, just as every single other house size has had since 2003. We're not asking for complete ability to modify the existing design; this is simply asking for the ability to build from a bare plot, rather than have so much wasted space that seriously limits any ability to do much with a castle or keep.

Re: #4, already entirely doable.

So how about finding some different arguments that can hold up?

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'd be a little pissed because I couldn't do my castle. I have trees in the court yard :p But if others could do this I'd support it. If your lagging over house loading it's time to retire that windows 7 machine lol. It would have been much easier for the team to have made a 24 x24 plot than that goofy build granite walls and such thing. So something is up with that. Plus Bonnie hates castles so there's your real problem with progress in this area. The idea of having areas where castles can't be built where many shards have acres of empty unused land is just silly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Post 89 was from Kayhynn, and has nothing to do with a castle sized plot. Mesanna's only post on that page was #54, and the only even semi-relevant thing she said actually would go against what you're claiming:
LMAO You really need to check your reading comprehension. Go read post #142. A DEV CAN make a new Castle or Keep design for us and we would be able to use the house placement tool to place it. I am sorry that you can not understand that we could have different designs but it would take a DEV, not you, to do it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brian
Give it up.... You will never ever see a non customizable "plot" the size of a castle period end quote..... This is something I can guarantee. You may take it to the bank.
Any one with half a brain knows why you want this... You forget I have seen your creations in rocks, goza and other in game mats. So I know you have in mind to use the new stone works and your hell bent on that uncustomizable castle plot to do one.

Your right Quartermain it would be so much better if we could move a few walls, add or delete a few doors ...etc.. the whole issue is the written in stone on the original designs but I cant see why a same footprint design cant be done with said changes and submitted. I have many castles with trees in the courtyard, I like them but there is things you could change to the layout and still have that room for the tree... or more.. especially if you add more stories to the building. Perhaps a inner courtyard open to the grass the size of the inner room and the existing courtyard like the medieval baileys.
So many ideas out there... I would like to see them and if the lady in charge is up to it let us pick the designs from what she approves of to add to the house placement tool.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Give it up.... You will never ever see a non customizable "plot" the size of a castle period end quote..... This is something I can guarantee. You may take it to the bank.
I hope it does happen, just so you have to eat crow. :)

If they do anything I don't think they would spend cycles making new code for non-customizable plots, I think it would just be a custom plot larger than 18x18.

Based on some of this feedback, you'd think @Bleak and company couldn't even write an "if" statement. Give the developers some credit ffs.