• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ideas and thoughts on Mana Cost reduction.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I can not tell you how many times I have read and heard that hiding and stealth ruined PvP. I take Stealth and Ninja off of my template and ruined my template. Mana costs are crippling me.

"The Mana Cost of each special move can be reduced if the warrior's skills are high enough. Add up the skill points for Swords, Mace Fighting, Fencing, Archery, Parrying, Lumberjacking, Stealth, Poisoning, Bushido and Ninjitsu. If the total lies between 200 and 299, subtract 5 from the Mana Cost. If the total is 300 or more, subtract 10 from the Mana Cost."

Stealth? Poisoning and Lumberjacking? Are ya kidding me? But not healing or chivalry... Expect me to be a stealth archer again soon if I can not figure something out.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You're right on something, and it's that the special mana cost reduction skills are completely dated and are in need of a revamp. Especially with the recent changes, Tactics absolutely needs to be on this list. I genuinely don't think any PvP'er anywhere is currently running lumberjack for the damage bonus at this point in history.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I changed the title of this thread hoping to generate more discussion. Thank you for your participation.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never understood why healing and anatomy was not on the original list. Would even be happy if they made it so you had to have both anatomy and healing and it only counted as half the bonus if they felt pure warriors are overpowered haha.

Thus 100 or more wep skill, 100 anatomy, 100 healing would then give you the 5 reduction and throw in 100 parry you would get the full 10 reduction. Sorta like a pure warrior would have............

If that is too much to ask for, please just add Chivalry to the list.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Focus may be iffy... I will let the experts debate that.
Focus IS "the warriors meditation skill", so an argument could be made.
It makes as much sense as stealth, ninjutsu, poisoning and lumber jacking.

The way it is now, ninjas and DP dexxers are the only ones that really benefit from the LMC associated with warrior skills.
I'm surprised, that with all the nerfing and balancing in pvp the devs have recently done, no one has bothered to look at or even talked about DP dexxers and ninjas.
Ive been hit 3 and 4 times in a row with DP.
There's not a lot you can do about it, especially if your pot fails or your cure fails or you have to cast Arch cure over and over.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The way it is now, ninjas and DP dexxers are the only ones that really benefit from the LMC associated with warrior skills.
I'm surprised, that with all the nerfing and balancing in pvp the devs have recently done, no one has bothered to look at or even talked about DP dexxers and ninjas.
Your thinking is too PVP-centric....

On the PvM side, it's only the SAMPIRES that benefit, for pretty much the same reason as you give for those two PVP templates.

I've been begging as a PvM-centric player for Chivalry to be on the list for 12+ years, but they claim it's a CASTER'S SKILL (WTF?!?!?!?!?) like Magery & necro (and later Spellweaving and Mysticism) when I bring it up in town halls and the like - yet Bushido and Ninjitsu are somehow both spellcasting and combat boosters that contribute to the Mana reduction. Frankly, if any skill has less abilities than at least 2 pages in a book, it's not a caster skill.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your thinking is too PVP-centric....

On the PvM side, it's only the SAMPIRES that benefit, for pretty much the same reason as you give for those two PVP templates.

I've been begging as a PvM-centric player for Chivalry to be on the list for 12+ years, but they claim it's a CASTER'S SKILL (WTF?!?!?!?!?) like Magery & necro (and later Spellweaving and Mysticism) when I bring it up in town halls and the like - yet Bushido and Ninjitsu are somehow both spellcasting and combat boosters that contribute to the Mana reduction. Frankly, if any skill has less abilities than at least 2 pages in a book, it's not a caster skill.
Yeah, Chivalry is what i'd consider a "Martial Magic Skill" (along with Bushido and Ninjitsu), meaning it's meant to be used in tandem with weapons. I'd definitely put Chivalry and Focus on the Special Move Cost Reduction chart. Why Focus? To give at least some worth to it. Almost noone uses Focus (other than Mystics), due to Stam Leech/Mana Leech Weps, Divine Fury restoring Stam, Greater Refresh Pots, and high MR suits.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can not tell you how many times I have read and heard that hiding and stealth ruined PvP. I take Stealth and Ninja off of my template and ruined my template. Mana costs are crippling me.

"The Mana Cost of each special move can be reduced if the warrior's skills are high enough. Add up the skill points for Swords, Mace Fighting, Fencing, Archery, Parrying, Lumberjacking, Stealth, Poisoning, Bushido and Ninjitsu. If the total lies between 200 and 299, subtract 5 from the Mana Cost. If the total is 300 or more, subtract 10 from the Mana Cost."

Stealth? Poisoning and Lumberjacking? Are ya kidding me? But not healing or chivalry... Expect me to be a stealth archer again soon if I can not figure something out.
Yup, healing and chiv should both count.