• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aquarium shells: What's the secret?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've maintained an aquarium for a year now, and while I like the occasional mibs and can enhance the fishing poles with heartwood, selling the FC1 ones, I've never managed to get the big shell. Is there a secret to getting it that I don't know?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only way I know is to have 30 living fish in it. Its still not common. But the both shells and the small piece of net only comes at 30/30 , and we know how often we have that before something dies by "an unfortunate accident"..

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oddly enough the only time I ever got a shell was when my PC died and I was down for about a month before I got another one. Coincidentally everything in my aquarium had died and it had a shell in it. So it has happened that way for me. Maybe shells spawn in different ways.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have gotten shells over the years. The aquarium needs to be at 30/30 and that doesn't happen very often nor does it stay there for every long.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think you need to take out the decorations to be able to do 30/30
been a while since i did the tanks, mine is full of skeletons.. lol!

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always 2 aquariums. I keep them alive ,I mean I dont forget to feed them so everything die.. I dont bother to be at 30/30 often as after a few days some mayor disaster happens when I do. But now and then I need the big shell for my fisher vendor..luckily it doesnt sell often . Then I fill the tank with fish and if im lucky I get a shell before the disaster hits , or I fill it up again. Ive done this ever since we got the aquariums and today I had hoped for the shell but I got 6 dead fish from my 2 tanks instead. Might take a while, might just get boots or the other shell or the small net ..or dead fish but I have plenty of fish in bowls .. if they dont give me a shell ill try the dead aquarium thing, never heard of it before!;)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm, I need to work out how to get to 30 fish. I only added decorations to take it to a 30 count when I read this thread, for as long as I remember I've always had 28/28 and it won't let me add any more fish. I top it up with 4 food and 6 water every other day, that's at 'improve'. Should I just be going for 'maintain'?

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I generally go with the "maintain" number.

It doesn't matter how careful you are, there are always going to be "accidents."

Quatermain

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I know nothing about aquariums, but I can quote from the Broadsword site then add a few things:

The maximum contents of the aquarium is 30, this can be fish, or aquarium rewards. Beware of filling the aquarium to capacity, if the tank fills up with unclaimed rewards no more can spawn

The gump states a max of live creatures 28/28, so you can't put more fish into it manually, but as long as the contents is less than 30/30, a reward event can occur, which could be the birth of a 'special' fish (if this can happen, it would defeat the max live creatures, bug?)

But if the contents is at 30/30, surely the event cannot occur, and a deco item (including the shell) cannot spawn? Do deco items spawn at 30/30? Another bug?

If you start at 28/28 live creatures (+2 spawned fish) so 28/28 30/30 and they all die, you will get 30 events occur, therefore 30 chances for a shell, over the next few weeks?

HTH

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can have 28/30 , added and spawned mix , and toss in 2 more fish, no prob. I get rewards every second day, all sorts even the big shell now and then. Prob is that with 30/30 in the tank the risk for disasters are so much bigger . I lose up to 6 fish in one tank sometimes, and water are down to helthy or the message is ower fed.. and it can be 24/26 or something, so it takes a couple of days begore its sorted and im allowed to toss in max number of fish again. After two more days I can get a nice reward..shell..or boots and hats etc.. or a bunch of dead fish. This time I had no luck for two weeks so far , mainly waiting for the aquariums to recover between disasters. :(. So..worse than ever.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I just keep feeding it and watch the numbers for the opportunity to take it to 30 fish. Currently it's at 28 and won't allow any more in it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra
As a long time multi fish tank owner on many shards the only time you will get a large shell (there are 2 versions) is when the tank is dead.
Many of the gifts from the tanks are : Fish bones, Poles, Boots, Hat, Island statue, Tan net (Rarely given, you can use to catch fish for tank with), Mibs.
You can find info in old stratics files under Aquariums.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Lady Storm. As the idiot who used to waste her time in maintaining the old site, I'm aware of the information on it, however the secret of spawning shells is not included in it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks Lady Storm. As the idiot who used to waste her time in maintaining the old site, I'm aware of the information on it, however the secret of spawning shells is not included in it.
And isn't it wonderful that after all that time and work there is still more to learn about UO?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So..today I got the big shell from my 30/30 tank! yay! I still have extra fish to drop in it after disasters so im going for one more when im at it. Then let the number go down so some unusual colours can hatch and I get a mib now and then. The mibs are the true reason I have thoose aquariums. The big shell is the center piece in my fisher vendors pouch, so it gets sold fron time to time and i need a new one.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So..today I got the big shell from my 30/30 tank! yay! I still have extra fish to drop in it after disasters so im going for one more when im at it. Then let the number go down so some unusual colours can hatch and I get a mib now and then. The mibs are the true reason I have thoose aquariums. The big shell is the center piece in my fisher vendors pouch, so it gets sold fron time to time and i need a new one.
Rather have a rug for MIBs... far less work.