• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok, a little disheartened, but...

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ok, so let me give a quick run down of my situation:

I got the UO itch again, and read the patch notes for publish 95, which got me super excited for BOD's. About a week later, i decided to go all in - with crafting as a focus. PvP isnt my thing, and PVE is fun but i dont know much about where to go and fight since ive been mostly away for a long time.

SO, i spent about 450 dollars on ea store setting up a pretty insane BOD system, its very intricate and produces around 500 bods a day through 3 accounts, paid till april. The house setup was fairly quick, and the BOD storage setup was pretty easy as well. I have resources for miles, power tools for each profession...

And then.. theres a slight snag in my system, and its something that I should have done at the very beginning, but I didnt think of it at the time:

I priced checked all the rewards on vendor search :/

Now, if i hadn't paid 450 for the setup id be ok with it, but there is no way any time soon Im going to be able to make back or see a return in gold with the current prices of the TOP rewards for the BOD system.

So i looked at other ways to make some gold - and i checked the traders hall to see what is selling the most, and it looks like everything is legendary armor/weapons...

So how do i get into this market? Im going to see the BOD thing through, it will produce small but steady income, but what can i do to get the "big bux", where do i need to go to aquire the legendary items (and solo mind you, i dont have many friends on here).

See, this BOD thing was only supposed to be HALF of my project, i was planning on opening a really nice suit building emporium where people could come and get free bods and gear and i could make end game suits for gold, it was supposed to be a building block for that, but when i saw that runic kits were going for 950k :/ and i saw that everyone was just wearing legendaries, it kinda hit me hard.

Any help would be most appreciated!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok, so let me give a quick run down of my situation:

I got the UO itch again, and read the patch notes for publish 95, which got me super excited for BOD's. About a week later, i decided to go all in - with crafting as a focus. PvP isnt my thing, and PVE is fun but i dont know much about where to go and fight since ive been mostly away for a long time.

SO, i spent about 450 dollars on ea store setting up a pretty insane BOD system, its very intricate and produces around 500 bods a day through 3 accounts, paid till april. The house setup was fairly quick, and the BOD storage setup was pretty easy as well. I have resources for miles, power tools for each profession...

And then.. theres a slight snag in my system, and its something that I should have done at the very beginning, but I didnt think of it at the time:

I priced checked all the rewards on vendor search :/

Now, if i hadn't paid 450 for the setup id be ok with it, but there is no way any time soon Im going to be able to make back or see a return in gold with the current prices of the TOP rewards for the BOD system.

So i looked at other ways to make some gold - and i checked the traders hall to see what is selling the most, and it looks like everything is legendary armor/weapons...

So how do i get into this market? Im going to see the BOD thing through, it will produce small but steady income, but what can i do to get the "big bux", where do i need to go to aquire the legendary items (and solo mind you, i dont have many friends on here).

Any help would be most appreciated!
Go to UOguide.com and search for Shadowguard.

This will tell you about it.

You will want a couple of tamers for this.

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hmm i went to you tube and i saw some sampires doing it, tamers also do well with the encounters? you said a couple, is it soloable?

I have a 6x 120 Mage tamer on my non crafting account, ill look it up and get the best temp/pet for the job, but you get alot of legendary items from it? And is it repeatable?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hmm i went to you tube and i saw some sampires doing it, tamers also do well with the encounters? you said a couple, is it soloable?

I have a 6x 120 Mage tamer on my non crafting account, ill look it up and get the best temp/pet for the job, but you get alot of legendary items from it? And is it repeatable?
You can solo probably all the rooms with one tamer except for belfry.

But it may be worth a try, depending on your dragon.

The fountain is sketchy since the spawn rate for solo is low and you may not get enough blocks to compete the challenge.

No clue about the sampire and what that would entail for the encounters.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I prefer doing the roof with tamers. Less annoying side spawn to deal with.
When I did it with my sampire, killing Anon was major pain because of the side spawn that appears when you hit the boss with a weapon or with spells.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Belfry can be done with tamers, but you'd need 3 if you want to be efficient. Consume Damage is a real advantage as well.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The fountain is sketchy since the spawn rate for solo is low and you may not get enough blocks to compete the challenge.

Just enter the fountain and spend 5 mins collecting blocks. Then exit and re-enter. The blocks collected the first time in stay with you and this way you'll have enough to finish.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the new loot is so good, crafting has suffered. it also has 255 durability. until they bump up crating comparable to new loot, it maybe tough to have good business. seen a lot shops close down. u can do luck suits, 210 suits(depending on nerf that's coming) and weapons. it will also depend on what shard u are tryin g to do this on.
for good loot, do shadow guard or excodus with group. gl to u

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, so on a smaller and more doable scale for me... do you think Tmaps are viable? I can solo 6's and 7's all day

Back when i played last, tmaps gave 1-2 legendary items above 6, i dunno how it might have changed

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another vote for Shadowguard. There is also a great thread on here somewhere that explains how to do each room. I would find the link but I'm using my phone at the moment.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Exodus is really easy with a pair of cross healing dexxers, but keying for it is a major chore.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
narvery is supposed be soloble and u need no keys.... uses the towers to great effect

and theres small chance of a nice tangle drop

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Shadowguard is so boring it gave me cancer. It's a sloppy busywork-laden attempt to dress this game's abysmal PVM up as more than it is.

The fact is, there really isn't that much to do in this game. Only a tiny handful of the most irritating encounters drop anything worth picking up.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now you see, to me this is everything thats wrong with gaming/gamers today. Its all about the end game, and getting the best of everything, and getting it now. UO was never that to me. I just played in my own way, doing things I enjoyed, without once ever feeling that I needed to get the best of anything or needing to compete with anyone. It was all about immersion and having fun. That was the beauty of it.

Maybe im just from a different gaming generation but when I see people getting hung up on what they have/have not got, or cannot get, and getting frustrated or angry I wonder how thats fun. Fun is the point. If its not fun then why bother.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just enter the fountain and spend 5 mins collecting blocks. Then exit and re-enter. The blocks collected the first time in stay with you and this way you'll have enough to finish.
Good idea!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Now you see, to me this is everything thats wrong with gaming/gamers today. Its all about the end game, and getting the best of everything, and getting it now. UO was never that to me. I just played in my own way, doing things I enjoyed, without once ever feeling that I needed to get the best of anything or needing to compete with anyone. It was all about immersion and having fun. That was the beauty of it.

Maybe im just from a different gaming generation but when I see people getting hung up on what they have/have not got, or cannot get, and getting frustrated or angry I wonder how thats fun. Fun is the point. If its not fun then why bother.
Why do you care how they want to play the game?

They paid their money, let them play how they want.

I'm pretty sure no one woke up thinking, man I hope I don't offend The Craftsman today.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you care how they want to play the game?
Where did I say i cared?

It was merely a comment that todays gamers are greedy and have a now, now, now mentality. And at the expense of fun it would seem based on how frustrated and angry people get when they dont get what they want when they want it. This was not directed at the OP, merely a general comment on this modern gaming mentality.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Where did I say i cared?

It was merely a comment that todays gamers are greedy and have a now, now, now mentality. And at the expense of fun it would seem based on how frustrated and angry people get when they dont get what they want when they want it. This was not directed at the OP, merely a general comment on this modern gaming mentality.
Where did I say i cared?

I don't know how many games you've played over the years, but many offer the buy it now option for items etc.

However, the only ones really capitalizing on this for UO are 3rd party sites and they've been around for years.

Sure, you could start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, but most would just prefer to use a lighter.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how many games you've played over the years, but many offer the buy it now option for items etc.

However, the only ones really capitalizing on this for UO are 3rd party sites and they've been around for years.

Sure, you could start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, but most would just prefer to use a lighter.
Whoosh! Straight over your head.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Whoosh! Straight over your head.
Clearly, since this comment doesn't even make any sense.

You tell me people want things now "these days". I tell you this isn't anything new and you reply to me with that?

Please, tell me more...
image.jpeg

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh come on guys, just agree to disagree, it's Christmas!! Go get some Christmas 'cheer' and let it go... :)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oh come on guys, just agree to disagree, it's Christmas!! Go get some Christmas 'cheer' and let it go... :)
You're right, sorry for derailing the thread.

Still haven't received that PM though...

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious which shard you are trying to play on. I am on Great Lakes and mostly make my gold from BODs. I don't have time to gather resources so I buy all my leather, ingots etc. Sorry to read that you regret spending the real currency on pixel crack.. I do my best to only spend cash on game time and nothing else. Remember this is supposed to be fun. Feel free to pm me if you want some advice on anything to do with our new Bulk Order System, I love it.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The Belfry can be done with tamers, but you'd need 3 if you want to be efficient. Consume Damage is a real advantage as well.
1 disco tamer = done

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
OP i think your plan was not thought out.
your coming back to a 20 year old game.
im pretty sure everyone who plays has their own 120 mule making their own stuff.
everyone i know makes all their own stuff when they need it.

at any rate get yourself a top tier luck suit and go find something to farm.
Lord of the Abyss in Blackthorns dungeon with a 2000+ luck suit pays a good amount of Legendary Arties.

Shadowguard is a team encounter.
your gonna need at least 2 people to do it, 3 is easy sleazy time.
seems like most stuff put into the game in the last year or so is team orientated or multi-box (one man team).

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What @The Craftsman is getting at is basically summed up in the OP's remark, "Now, if i hadn't paid 450 for the setup id be ok with it, but there is no way any time soon Im going to be able to make back or see a return in gold with the current prices of the TOP rewards for the BOD system."

For the OP, it is not about the gameplay or even the game, but the money he invested - albeit his playstyle seems to be one of profiteering enstead of "for the sake of the game". But then, we all enjoy different things, yes? But that goes into the old debate over whether UO is a place to "play" or "profit" - and then, what exactly is the profit?!? (Psychology majors, step in when you feel comfortable).

To whit, the OP spent an enormous amount of money and expects a return on said expenditure... ergo, investment... much like any other business person would. Which leads one to surmise that the OP intends to profit (with "gold", of course *wink wink*) from his investment, and not just enjoy the game for what it is.

Craftsman is pointing out that players today seem more inclined to have the best pixels (drops) and not just enjoy the experience of playing - which is what many Role Players also contend, and have thus become disenchanted with UO (and so many other games) as a whole.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What @The Craftsman is getting at is basically summed up in the OP's remark, "Now, if i hadn't paid 450 for the setup id be ok with it, but there is no way any time soon Im going to be able to make back or see a return in gold with the current prices of the TOP rewards for the BOD system."

For the OP, it is not about the gameplay or even the game, but the money he invested - albeit his playstyle seems to be one of profiteering enstead of "for the sake of the game". But then, we all enjoy different things, yes? But that goes into the old debate over whether UO is a place to "play" or "profit" - and then, what exactly is the profit?!? (Psychology majors, step in when you feel comfortable).

To whit, the OP spent an enormous amount of money and expects a return on said expenditure... ergo, investment... much like any other business person would. Which leads one to surmise that the OP intends to profit (with "gold", of course *wink wink*) from his investment, and not just enjoy the game for what it is.

Craftsman is pointing out that players today seem more inclined to have the best pixels (drops) and not just enjoy the experience of playing - which is what many Role Players also contend, and have thus become disenchanted with UO (and so many other games) as a whole.
Everyone is probably aware of what he was getting at.

Who cares? This isn't anything new.

Remember when you could actually eBay items?

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Everyone is probably aware of what he was getting at.

Who cares? This isn't anything new.

Remember when you could actually eBay items?
Ayuh, I remember.... I helped ppl get houses they otherwise couldn't afford. Never any profit in it for me except to have more neighbors in my neck of the Yew forest. :) For me (and many other PVP-RPers) it was more about having others to play with and such, never about the monetary profit.

dem were the days, eh?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ayuh, I remember.... I helped ppl get houses they otherwise couldn't afford. Never any profit in it for me except to have more neighbors in my neck of the Yew forest. :) For me (and many other PVP-RPers) it was more about having others to play with and such, never about the monetary profit.

dem were the days, eh?
Dem were... I was always about helping others, did a lot in the guild with outfitting new guild members, helping them find a house, deco, etc... that mentality I guess is still with me so I tend to horde things I really don't need too I suppose in the off chance someone might need it... though I oft wonder who in their right mind would need or want 40 of the hideously ugly crystal set deco items... and I guess I keep those more so that NO ONE will use them. I also don't know why I think I need to have 120+ Christmas trees... and such... but you never know.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For the OP...
If you wanted top prices, you should've jumped in as soon as the BOD changes started. The first week or so, prices for the reward dyes and such were going 10x what they are today. However... even then, you probably would not have been able to make enough to get the 'return on investment' that you're seeking. However, while the BOD thing is a trend now, I believe will taper off in the coming months, so many of those items will see a creep upwards in price again.

If you thought you were going to just dump a bunch of 'gold' into a couple accounts for the purpose of pumping out BoD after BoD and making a bunch of money, you were probably mistaken from the get go. There is already a large number of people who attempt to make money through UO and their are high barriers to entry if you wish to be competitive. The market for being able to craft suits that are top end are long gone. As others have noted, the current 'end game' encounters that you can jump into are going to be Shadowguard, Exodus, Scalis and a few others. But even so... Shadowguard has been around for a year now and the prices on its rewards have peaked. Can you do it solo? Sure, but if that's your intention, that's going to be another issue. To key for some of these encounters is timely. Learning how to do Shadowguard or those other encounters efficiently doesn't come over night or by watching one YouTube video. UO is not meant to be, nor should it be, a "soloable" game. That's not to say you can't do these encounters by yourself, but its going to take a significantly greater time investment to do so. You should consider joining up with a guild and actually getting to know the community before plunking down and setting up shop. You were going to need to community as your customers any how, so may as well invest some time and effort into the process.

While the light is always on for returning players to come back to Ultimate Online and hopefully find some bit of familiarity to get started again on their way... it isn't a game that lends itself to being able to simply show up and think you're going to go balls to the wall with a business empire over night. Hopefully you will find other useful investments of your time, effort and gold... hopefully this initial hiccup in your planning doesn't drag you down. Create some characters, make some friends and re-learn the game. There is still a lot of joy left to be found in UO beyond making money.

Good luck.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My advice would be to make your BOD guys on multiple shards. Pick the big 5 and have one account with all GM or 120 in the crafting skill and the other you only need bought skill to fill up on smaller BODS. 5 crafters yields 15 BODs a day but I specifically use the one with the lesser BODs to stock up 5-10 of each then fill them and turn them in My with GM-120 crafters to have a better chance at high end LBods. Using this system except I had 2 GM Alchemy characters I made about 20-30 Dyes in the first week and profited about 300+mil. I don't specifically know what Dyes you're going for but even at 5 mil a piece you can still get about 20-30 a week and slowly distribute and use that gold to suit up multiple PvM characters and farm Legendarys as you farm those. If you did it correctly and diligently you could have a steady flow of gold doing just BODs and rat spawns on dead shards for high ticket items. Even on the dead shard Animal Taming 3 masterys still fetch a pretty penny.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can solo probably all the rooms with one tamer except for belfry.

But it may be worth a try, depending on your dragon.
Belfry is the easy for 1 tamer if you have vet and magery for heals.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Should I be using spellweaving also?
I don't. I have a disco vet tamer that makes it easy and a necro vet tamer. The key is start vet macro then g heal in between. Its more repetition than skill. My dragons are both average too.

Each tamer can easily solo it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't. I have a disco vet tamer that makes it easy and a necro vet tamer. The key is start vet macro then g heal in between. Its more repetition than skill. My dragons are both average too.

Each tamer can easily solo it.
If you run consume damage taming mastery you don't need any healing...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

I am doing shadowguard with 2 accounts using 2 computers, a 4x bard mage and a sampire.

I controlled my left hand using Razer gaming key pad for my bard, and my right hand is Logitech 502 mouse for my sampire.

The rooms are all doable, and for the roof, just need to be careful with some tactics. For example, I always wait for the boss to come down from the platform and wait awhile standing far away for their HP to go up to 100 before honor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm kind of curious as to what you bought for 450 bucks in the store and how your getting 500 BoDs a day. Do tell if you can climb over the heap of BoDs you are working on. :)

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm kind of curious as to what you bought for 450 bucks in the store and how your getting 500 BoDs a day. Do tell if you can climb over the heap of BoDs you are working on. :)
3 accounts

1 has all upgrades (120 dollars from scratch)
2 and 3 has some upgrades, most notably 7 char slot upgrade
so thats 21 characters, 6 months gametime on all 3 accounts
2 Mythic tokens and 5 soulstone tokens to train my main crafter who has all the skills and actually turns in the bods
.1 skill on 20 of the characters (working on getting them all 70.1 in all professions currently, about 1/5th done), these character have runebooks/LRC suits and were created with 50 magery so they can all get around.

21 characters x 3 bods per day x 8 professions = 504 bods a day, once i get all the characters 70.1 or higher i wont have to spend 3 hours a day and buckets of resources flipping craps into good ones.

They are organized when obtained in a "daily intake" box containing 8 bod books (one for each profession), then when all characters are done collecting, they are moved to the "weekly intake box", all 8 professions have a weekly intake box with 7 books. They accumulate there until 7 days have passed, and then i spend the ENTIRE FREAKIN DAY doing the bods. Then when they are flipped and can be used in actual BODing, they go on a vendor for storage and sortment. 60% of this will be simplified when i can train everything up to 70.1, as i can just do the daily intake straight to vendor. Middle circle of chests is reward storage.

Vendors are organized by Large bods, a vendor per large bod, containing a book for the large, and a book for all the smalls that go with it. There are of course 8 groupings of vendor, alphabetically, for each profession.

Heres my setup

BODHOUSE.jpg

I can give a very lame tour, and also show you my armory! Its the only thing i kept running from when i left, it has 30 end game suits on 30 mannequins as well as 3 of every artifact/named item/mount in the game (as of when i left), its also the house of my SSV system, which is basically 180 soulstones I use for making whatever template i want at any time on my main account, and about a then - half a trillion in now worthless reforged gear collection lol. Also have rings/braclets that are legendary that arnt antique lol,which i guess is a plus

THEN if youre not super bored i can show you my greenhouse and youll pass out, 6 hours of sleep guaranteed. Features 52 raised garden beds. Fun stuff. I make sugar (only gotten through planting and required by cooking bods) and other plant goods :/ *yawn*

All of my 18x18's are connected to a single wooden 7x7 cottage located in trammel yew via teleporters, haha, the houses have no entrances of their own, only way to get into them is through the 7x7. The house is named "Absolutely NOT a portal house, nothing to see here" lol, and the Greenhouse, Armory, and BOD house have similar names haha

.. lol

Last edited:

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
WOW! and I thought I was organized!!!

To note, even if you get your toons to 70.1 in whatever skill, you will still get crap BODs that you have to flip to be worthwhile, just saying. ;)

But still, nice and tight operation you got there. Enjoy!

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
WOW! and I thought I was organized!!!

To note, even if you get your toons to 70.1 in whatever skill, you will still get crap BODs that you have to flip to be worthwhile, just saying. ;)

But still, nice and tight operation you got there. Enjoy!

I did ALOT of research (and frustratingly as well lol), and 70.1 is the "unlock" for bods. this is where the entire table opens up for the professions. You have a better chance at 100 and 120 respectively at getting better bods, but the sheer volume im bringing in more than makes up for the lesser chance in getting exeptional/colored bods- everything has a chance to show up though at 70.1

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jesus Christ!! Thats how much it takes to get an up to date UO account? Little wonder why we get no new players ... that is just freakin ridiculous. How much is it for just the expansions?
yep

Stygian Abyss- 29.99
TIme of Legends 19.99
Gothic Pack - 9.99
Rustic Pack - 9.99
King's Collection - 9.99
High Seas - 14.99
7th slot + Housing Upgrade - 29.99
UOA - 15.00
plus whatever game time you choose to use (price not added)

my bad, its actually 139.93 to get everything, sorry lol. AND EA charges tax as well. So need to factor that in...

You could argue that you dont 100% need the gothic, rustic, and kings collection, but as a crafter Id like to craft everything, and there are craftable and house tiles you just cant make/use without it.

A little ridiculous if you ask me, but..

Last edited: