• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO should steal a design idea from Blizzard

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know it's probably not exclusive to Blizzard games but I am not really familiar with others that have the same kind of system.

I think UO should pick up a Daily / World quest system. That sends players out into the world for a reward which could be determined by the difficulty level of quest. Rewards could be like a chance at some high end gear, maybe you add like 10 new hair dyes with 2or3 being rare and in demand heck maybe there is an exclusive ultra rare Ethereal mount added to the game or just some more common type filler items like Powder of Fort / hand full of imbuing resources or maybe just some cool house deco. Who knows the reward options are endless and you guys could get creative.

a quest could be something as simple as:

1. going to despise and killing 50 lizardman
2. going to bedlam and killing Red Death or the Labyrinth and killing Miasma.
3. Doing a champion spawn (maybe random or maybe its specific) or a Peerless. (tram or fel)

Hopefully this would encourage players to log in everyday and go out in the world to places they normally would not and make it feel more alive. Ideally groups might form and do some of the harder stuff together.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We have a whole quest system in the game and it never gets used because it rewards garbage and in 10+ years nobody has seen fit to revamp it. Story of the game's life.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see where you are going with this, and oddly as I was logging into UO today, I was considering writing a post, asking what thing do you log in to do repeatedly in UO that bring happiness and are we just in a rut like taking out the garbage, cleaning the litter pan and doing laundry. I know there is a very thick and long dividing line between the crafters and the (those who don't craft I will call) killers (cause they are not always warriors).

On one side you have the people who
(including but not limited to)
fill BoDs - to get fancy tools to craft high-end things or decor
grow plants - for dyes to color high-end craftables or decor and resources.
steal things - to get items for decor or points for deco or high-end things
library - to get items or wearables
collect dailies - for decor

The other side you have people who
do champ spawns - to get power scrolls to get money to buy the stuff above.
fight monsters - to gather gold to get the items up above
do mini spawns - to gather resources to sell to those above to trade/get things made.
do peerless - to gather resources to sell to those above to trade/get things made.

Then you have resource gatherers who could technically fall into either category, but I will put with the killers.

I've never counted the "drops" before meaning, how many things drop from monsters from killing.
There are many useful items that drop still to this day that there is a market for.
Things to make hitching posts.
Things to make the new glasses and staff.
The big green gummy things (sorry... they look like lime jello!) to make soulstones.
Coins to get luck sandals. (everyone should wear a pair!)
arrows and gems!!!

Then you have the clean-up system that you can drop resources and things into (yes even armour from monsters) that give even more decor and dyes that you want to be added and nice wearables.
Then you have the new and improved BoD system for the dyes you want to be added to a new system.

I guess my thinking is that yes, the current quests could use a bit of a goodie bump, or an added incentive of a rare drop maybe would be the simplest or be made repeatable, Trav things for instance.

UO is uo for a reason. It is sandboxey and if you just slow down to play and soak into the environment instead of "LOG IN>KILL>PUT ON NEW ITEM>BRAG>LOGOUT" you might enjoy it a bit more.

But just to add yet another ton of quests to bypass the systems already in place and to give more encentive for the killers to slice their way through (UO) life is not a good precendence to set.

Are you someone who has done everything once and killed everything once and (In a Johnny 5 voice) need more iiiinnnnpuuutttt?

I do like the main idea though. It just needs to be added into what we currently have.

I've always felt like giving our ideas to the Dev team is like giving a presentation to a new client to "use our product!" Maybe start a post with all the current quest givers and their quests and how many quests they offer and then see where things could be added in (or just steal it from here giving credit of coure!) and make additions based on UO lore and knowledge to keep it intertwined.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The one thing that I always loved about UO is that it doesn't lead you around by a nose ring...

Do this, then this, then this, next level this that and that... It drops you and and says Ok... explore.

Though I have found that most gamers... need a nose ring.

Forgot to add: This is where guilds used to come in... once upon a time we had large guilds who did things, had quests, did dungeon crawls etc...

However anymore the game is becoming soloistic... no longer can you take a guild to a hunt or something because most the time they would stand about picking their nose waiting on something to spawn... 2 people can totally wipe all spawn in Destard and have to wait ages for another thing to spawn... this has lead to the downfall of guilds. Who needs them??? So less and less folk help one another and group up... we solo everything... so now those that need that ring... have nothing and find the game too expensive to get into and too difficult to get started in and most won't last more than the trial period.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The word is requisition. We never ever steal. :)

I agree. The quest system really could use a major upgrade. Sadly I can not remember the last time I even did a quest...

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I support this idea. But for the love of god if it is ever implemented please keep it simple - i dont mean in terms of difficulty. Im referring to some of the overlly complicated systems in the game i.e. Key collecting for champs that make certain activities unappealing. Something like this should reward bod like rewards like clothing bless deeds and what not.

Mr Nice ATLC

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I love how it is always okay to quote another games systems but not the better, easily added with the same parameter, systems on some of the main "free shards". There are places out there with guild perks, town ownership, daily quests, and so much more. This "new" BOD system has been around for years, the upcoming pet revamp? Google ultima online evolution pets. There are systems to "look for a group" based on if you have the keys, what encounter, ect.

For those that know me, I played real UO for years. I guess this is my good bye. There are better communities out there that actually care about the longevity of this game.

If you spent the last 20 years holding out...I get it...you invested a lot of money and you're afraid.

If you only played for the last 5 years and only know what you hear, I get it..you are ignorant and thus afraid.

If you invested in the new stratics and you have enough "badges/banners" to rival a North Korean general...you are foolish and thus afraid.

UO will last and be played forever. The innovation is there, give it to the players.

Mr Nice ATLC

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Also while another emulator (the biggest in uo free shard emulation) has benchmarked TOL and the newest .net framework, built its back off of RunUO (now closed) it is note worthy to point out that Ryan, the creator of the now closed RunUO CLOSED it because he was hired to run Richard Garriots (lord British aka the creator of UO) new community based on his new game Shroud of the Avatar.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My problem with most of those 'innovators' is they are essentially stealing. They are using programming they have no right to- and are making money from it. Most of the free shards I've looked are more pay to win than mobile games. If all those players played production shards, we'd have more because they could afford to have more staff.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My problem with most of those 'innovators' is they are essentially stealing. They are using programming they have no right to- and are making money from it. Most of the free shards I've looked are more pay to win than mobile games. If all those players played production shards, we'd have more because they could afford to have more staff.
No you wouldn't. EA would leave us as we are and just skim the extra coming in off the top. I'm fairly certain of this, based on what I have seen over the last 19 years.

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
Your right, but for some reason just like with item blackmarket, EA has no balls to stand up and take people to court. I would think they could have free shards taken just based on the fact they contain EA property (not the code, but the Ultima IP). Not even Richard f'in garriot can use the ultima IP but these people do.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have nothing against the freesharders "stealin". Those players might play prodo shards if the changes they want and the game they wanted was available on prodo. But it isn't. Not many freeshards out there with just straight up today's game. So in a way, they aren't competing...those players left the prodo shards for a reason. And it wasn't to save $12 a month lol

It also kills me when we here from our team, we can't do that, or that is too involved, or that takes too much coding...yet the geek in his mothers basement is doing it.

Go figure...

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe make the rewards from the quests very kool, but player bound. That way each player would have to do the questing in order to obtain them. Then it wouldn't be a small select percentage that do the quests.

One quest could have multiple rewards only obtained by achieving different levels. Make the rewards tradable for better rewards inside that quest. Make rewards from multiple quests tradable for exclusive rewards. Are a few different ideas.

Exclusive player mounts, unique hues for item dyes, new graphic clothing, housing upgrades, stat/skill base increase, personalized moded clothing options and new recipes for new graphic rares are just a some ideas

I just sayn, if you had things that appealed to all different play styles, those play styles would have to participate in the questing in order to obtain those special goodies. You can still have free trade like it is now with em event items and other items already available but create a completely new ecosystem to break the mondain gameplay.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe make the rewards from the quests very kool, but player bound. That way each player would have to do the questing in order to obtain them. Then it wouldn't be a small select percentage that do the quests.

One quest could have multiple rewards only obtained by achieving different levels. Make the rewards tradable for better rewards inside that quest. Make rewards from multiple quests tradable for exclusive rewards. Are a few different ideas.

Exclusive player mounts, unique hues for item dyes, new graphic clothing, housing upgrades, stat/skill base increase, personalized moded clothing options and new recipes for new graphic rares are just a some ideas

I just sayn, if you had things that appealed to all different play styles, those play styles would have to participate in the questing in order to obtain those special goodies. You can still have free trade like it is now with em event items and other items already available but create a completely new ecosystem to break the mondain gameplay.
Some games are like that already. I didn't like them...totally kills the sandbox feel to have the goals you must achieve already laid out