• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Combat Update to Test Center

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings All, We have updated TC1 based on the latest player feedback as of today 12/13/2016. These changes are currently active on TC1. These will not be deployed World Wide for quite some time and are subject to change. We wanted to give everyone interested a time to provide feedback, so head on over to TC1 and check them out! Here are a few of the updates: Increased the SDI cap for non-focus spec templates. Focus Spec rework. Splintering weapon proc no longer triggers when preforming Disarm. Supernova potions now activate after a one second delay at the use location. You […]

Continue reading...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am confused- is it possible to have 30 SDI on a focused mage? it looks like being focused will automatically take a 5% reduction because of Magery- unless I am reading it wrong.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quit scaling the amount corpse does based on skill. Or tie it to just spirit speak. Necro should just determine if you successfully cast the spell. Spirit speak should determine length and how hard it is.

-Scale back damage on novas. Or make it so you can target someone specifically in a 4 tile radius. Add a delay on it once targetted. Any of these changes would be better than currently proposed.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am confused- is it possible to have 30 SDI on a focused mage? it looks like being focused will automatically take a 5% reduction because of Magery- unless I am
That whole part is worded weird, I think it's intended to say you can have 30% SDI when focused on one spell school. And thirty points of skill in any other, or the melee skills or parry will drop SDI cap 5% per skill.

The way it's worded makes it sound like it'll drop 5% for every 30 points actually, but I doubt that's what he intended to convey.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Test Center:
  • Focused players will start out with a Spell Damage Increase cap of 30%, with a 5% reduction for each 30.0 modified skill points in another skill from the penalty skill list.
  • The requirements for Focused Spec will remain as what is currently Live.
  • Penalty skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry, Spellweaving, Parry, Mace Fighting, Swordsmanship, Throwing, and Archery
So a mystic with mage, eval, resist, mystic, focus, scribe, ninja has a 25 SDI cap? sounds too strong.
So a necro with mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe, ninja has a 25 SDI cap? sounds too strong.
so a necro with mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe, POISON has a 25 SDI cap? LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLL

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So a mystic with mage, eval, resist, mystic, focus, scribe, ninja has a 25 SDI cap? sounds too strong.
So a necro with mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe, ninja has a 25 SDI cap? sounds too strong.
so a necro with mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe, POISON has a 25 SDI cap? LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLL
Every template example you listed is capped at 20 SDI.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Test Center:
  • Focused players will start out with a Spell Damage Increase cap of 30%, with a 5% reduction for each 30.0 modified skill points in another skill from the penalty skill list.
  • Penalty skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry, Spellweaving, Parry, Mace Fighting, Swordsmanship, Throwing, and Archery
"So a necro with mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe, ninja has a 25 SDI cap? sounds too strong " This would be 20 SDI, right? necro -5, ninjitsu -5.
I see what you mean, though.

Edit, actually first 2 would be 20 SDI, didn't see the ninja on the first one.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't see ninja on the list.

How is mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe poison only 20 SDI?

mage, eval, resist, mystic, spirit speak, scribe, alchy? what is that? i still count 25

What am I missing? @Bleak

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And.. is there no more 15 SDI at all? Is the minimum it can go down to 20?

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The solution for clarifying this Focus Spec business might be dividing the Focus penalizing skills into two groups.

Group A being Mystic, SW, Chiv, Necro, taming, and all the magic skills which puts your char into the non-focused category at 20% SDI.

And Group B consisting of weapon skills and parrying, all the warrior skills which negate 5% from the max SDI a focused mage can have.

A parry-swords mage would end up at 20%. Not that anyone would ever want that temp.

How about throwing poisoning in the Group B column too?

EDITED: re-reading the update, it says in the test center bullet:
Bleak's talking about Mystic, Necro, taming, bushido etc. will break focused spec and stick ya with 20% SDI.

The new skills: Parry and weapon skills(and I propose poisoning) will penalize you by 5% for each skill you have. Not necessarily breaking "focused" status but modifying the cap at least.

That's how I'm understanding it now after reading it a buncha times.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be easier to just put all the skills in a single list instead of separating them into primary and secondary.

So Necro and Spirit speak are on the list... Mystic and Focus are on the list.... etc.

Basically if you have nothing on the list you get 30 SDI. If you have 1 additional from the list you have 25 SDI. Anything else is NOT focused and gets 20 SDI regardless...

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And.. is there no more 15 SDI at all? Is the minimum it can go down to 20?
Seems like a 20% capped MysticMage could take another 5% hit if they picked up a weapon skill. A war fork wielding Mystic Mage at 15% doesn't seem unreasonable.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak

Surely fencing was just accidentally omitted from the focus spec list, right..? I cannot imagine why it wouldn't be there with every other weapon skill.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is spirit speak and focus on the focus break list? Is the minimum it can go down to right now 20 SDI? @Bleak

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am confused- is it possible to have 30 SDI on a focused mage? it looks like being focused will automatically take a 5% reduction because of Magery- unless I am reading it wrong.
No this is correct. So there's no such thing as 30 sdi for a Mage. But non focused anything is a 20 sdi cap. But they can scale 5 sdi off of 30 for having a non focused skill? They can do the math... Lol.

I saw that and was like Wtf?

I can live with the rest scaled against 30 sdi though.

Disarm timer to 15 is fine.

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if i was a pure mage, with say mage, eval, med, resist, scribe and anatomy, I would have a cap of 30%. Then I add in 120 parry, this suddenly drops my cap to 10%, with an additional 10% sdi from scribe, to get me to 20? This sounds workable, as long as you have scribe. Still hit like a hammer, just may have to toss in a few more fireball/lightnings.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Buddy how do you cap non-focused at 20 sdi, and then try to scale the same templates from 30 sdi -5 per focused skill if everything is technically non-focused?

You even added Magery to the focused list, how does that make sense?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't see ninja on the list.

How is mage, eval, resist, necro, spirit speak, scribe poison only 20 SDI?

mage, eval, resist, mystic, spirit speak, scribe, alchy? what is that? i still count 25

What am I missing? @Bleak
Magery + Eval-int = 30% SDI -5% for Necro, -5% for Spiritspeak = 20% SDI.

These changes sound more reasonable.

Skill damage is getting a slight buff, while consumable damage (or use) gets toned down a bit.. now it'll take more "timing" to pvp.

These patch notes look to be the best set posted so far. (IMO)

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if i was a pure mage, with say mage, eval, med, resist, scribe and anatomy, I would have a cap of 30%. Then I add in 120 parry, this suddenly drops my cap to 10%, with an additional 10% sdi from scribe, to get me to 20? This sounds workable, as long as you have scribe. Still hit like a hammer, just may have to toss in a few more fireball/lightnings.
If focused is the same as live (as it says)- this should give you 40 SDI.

-5% from parry for a total of 35 SDI. (25% of items).

Also, the way I am reading it you can't go below 20% sdi even if you have multiple penalty skills. Is any of this correct?

This whole idea is not explained well at all, I think that is evidenced.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't recall Magery being in the penalty list, how would it ever be focused then?
Because every skill + sub-skill (Magery + eval-int / Necro + Spiritspeak / Mystic + Focus/imbuing / Spellweaving, Bushido, Ninjitsu all = 30% SDI until you combine them with something else that breaks the list. (add weapon skills to that now)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Buddy how do you cap non-focused at 20 sdi, and then try to scale the same templates from 30 sdi -5 per focused skill if everything is technically non-focused?

You even added Magery to the focused list, how does that make sense?
Magery is on the list because you can be a focus Mystic or Necro in which case have magery would break the focus.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If focused is the same as live (as it says)- this should give you 40 SDI.

-5% from parry for a total of 35 SDI. (25% of items).

Also, the way I am reading it you can't go below 20% sdi even if you have multiple penalty skills. Is any of this correct?

This whole idea is not explained well at all, I think that is evidenced.
I interpreted it the same as you wrote here.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Because every skill + sub-skill (Magery + eval-int / Necro + Spiritspeak / Mystic + Focus/imbuing / Spellweaving, Bushido, Ninjitsu all = 30% SDI until you combine them with something else that breaks the list. (add weapon skills to that now)
Magery only breaks focused with another skill, not as a standalone gotcha.

Tell me how they are capping non-focused sdi to 20 and then try to scale them starting at 30 then -5 for each skill.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This line is the key. I kinda glazed over it the first couple of times reading the notes, but I think I understand the deal now.

• Focused players, having no more than 30.0 modified skill points in another main skill set will be able to benefit from the raised cap. Main skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry, Spellweaving.
You're building a mage, mmkay. You have Magery and any one of those other skills, you're no longer a focused mage and subject to the 20% SDI cap. This is the way it is now, except for the raised cap.

• Penalty skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry, Spellweaving, Parry, Mace Fighting, Swordsmanship, Throwing, and Archery.
Underlined and in Red is the new list of "penalty skills", you can add fencing in there too. These don't necessarily bring you down to 20% if you only have one skill, it'll be 30% - 5% for each skill on the temp. So not breaking the Focus spec, just a smaller penalty in SDI.

Part of the confusion is that Bleak added the Focus breaking skills from the "Live" list into the list of penalty skills.

But I think there are two categories:
Focus breaking skills
And
SDI Penalty Skills

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
20% SDI cap is the new minimum in PvP. Focused or not.
A lot of these changes seem reasonable at first glance.

I'd still recommend removing delay timer off novas. If you want to limit damage bursts, cap the damage to something reasonable on novas. (20?)

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
  • Increased special move Disarm immunity from 10 to 15 seconds for melee weapons.
@Bleak

So for ranged weapons, what is the Disarm immunity, does it stay the same as live? Seeing as how the 30 second patchnote has been removed, it seems like 10 seconds is the only reasonable conclusion.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This line is the key. I kinda glazed over it the first couple of times reading the notes, but I think I understand the deal now.

You're building a mage, mmkay. You have Magery and any one of those other skills, you're no longer a focused mage and subject to the 20% SDI cap. This is the way it is now, except for the raised cap.

Underlined and in Red is the new list of "penalty skills", you can add fencing in there too. These don't necessarily bring you down to 20% if you only have one skill, it'll be 30% - 5% for each skill on the temp. So not breaking the Focus spec, just a smaller penalty in SDI.

Part of the confusion is that Bleak added the Focus breaking skills from the "Live" list into the list of penalty skills.

But I think there are two categories:
Focus breaking skills
And
SDI Penalty Skills

Sdi cap is 40 with scribe.

You can add a penalty skill for -5 sdi to that cap.

No matter how many penalty skills (30+ points) it will not drop sdi below 20.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Bleak

So for ranged weapons, what is the Disarm immunity, does it stay the same as live? Seeing as how the 30 second patchnote has been removed, it seems like 10 seconds is the only reasonable conclusion.
?

Disarm immunity live is 10 seconds, it's being increased to 15 which is manageable considering it vs what saving throw did.

The first timer was set to 30 which was pretty high.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
?

Disarm immunity live is 10 seconds, it's being increased to 15 which is manageable considering it vs what saving throw did.

The first timer was set to 30 which was pretty high.
That is incorrect. Please read the updated patch notes.

• Increased special move Disarm immunity from 10 to 15 seconds for melee weapons.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have to make so many changes to focus spec to make an attempt to make it viable, then the problem to me is the focus spec. Just remove focus spec and move on.

With these changes the current meta wont change at all, only thing that changes is the timing of the nova pot drop.

Archers will still have too much power and so will healing anat parry mages.

Archers still need more of a nerf to make melee more competitive in pvp.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
so a mystic mage
Test Center:
Mystic, Magery and Ninja = 20 SDI. -5 mysti -5 ninja
Necro, Magery Ninja = 20. -5necro -5ninja

The last template for sure can be 25sdi. But that is magery only spells, right? If so, they hit 35sdi magery spells with scribe.

Honestly I dunno how to feel about this because I have been wanting necros to be viable for a long time. Same with mystic. The way I see it is in order to achieve that template you are investing 180-200 skill points to not further break focus spec and also needing to spend a decent penny on some skill inc jewels.

Put this template up against a tank mage with scribe and the difference is 5% SDI. Personally I think that is way better than the old 15% vs 30%.

I think it is a step in the right direction for sure. ( the ramble wasn't directed at you virem).

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also Yew now has +FC1 on Test Center.
Can you make all the towns FC1 on test center, cause when people copy chars over to test they may already have ties to a town and will have to leave and wait to get it.

Bleak and Kyronix added a magic gate that when you walk through it, it wipes any previous town loyalty so you can pick up FC1 at yew in trammel on TC.

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so a mystic mage

Mystic, Magery and Ninja = 20 SDI. -5 mysti -5 ninja
Necro, Magery Ninja = 20. -5necro -5ninja

The last template for sure can be 25sdi. But that is magery only spells, right? If so, they hit 35sdi magery spells with scribe.
Both temps have a 20 SDI cap because they are non-focused.

Could reach 30 sdi with scribe.

Question: say a non focused mage (necro mage) puts on an SDI reducing skill (ninja), but also inscribe- Does that put the SDI at 30 or 25?

@Bleak

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Both temps have a 20 SDI cap because they are non-focused.

Could reach 30 sdi with scribe.

Question: say a non focused mage (necro mage) puts on an SDI reducing skill (ninja), but also inscribe- Does that put the SDI at 30 or 25?

@Bleak
Scribe + Magery is 40 sdi cap.

-5 necro
-5 ninja

So it should be 30

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that once you get necro or mystic with Margery the cap is 20 no matter what, because it's no longer a focused character. @Bleak hasn't explained it yet though.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think that once you get necro or mystic with Margery the cap is 20 no matter what, because it's no longer a focused character. @Bleak hasn't explained it yet though.
**** now I am second guessing what I though he meant as 20 sdi being a minimum.

:wall:

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If that is the case, I think it should be changed to what I was thinking. Give a middle ground to those not utilizing weapon skill or parry, but not as powerful as a pure temp.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sub-skills are involved in this too if you read the entire post, it includes eval, ss, focus/imbuing. So you get -5 from mystic and -5 from focus therefore making a mystic mage 20 SDI. Its not rocket science here just reading comprehension.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sub-skills are involved in this too if you read the entire post, it includes eval, ss, focus/imbuing. So you get -5 from mystic and -5 from focus therefore making a mystic mage 20 SDI. Its not rocket science here just reading comprehension.

This is how I understand it.

The problem is the focus vs non focus and them trying to scale it.

Technically if you have a non focused template the sdi cap is 20.

So the confusion is how do you have a scale of -5 sdi for say a Mage and swords template to 25 if the cap was already 20?