• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts about Pub 95

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Mesanna told me I would love it, and she is correct.

Now why do I love Pub 95?

The new BoD system do several good thing.

-It gives players a reason to play
-It do not make my head hurt as much as old BOD system
-It's easier to get Runic tools and PoF as you just need enough points for the rewart you want.
-It dry out old large piles of resources and make need for lumbers, miners, cloth and leather hunters.

-The building of Christmas trees at the festival do a lot of cleaning up in old bods and resource piles. We won't need to store so many bods with the new system as you just need to bribe them to the points you need for your reward.

-For Siege it mean, a way for new players to make money selling resources and better access to Runic tools and POF do help our problem with replacing PvP gear. We still need Fel Bonus on our shard, I hope we someday will get that too.
-I hope, more Miners, Lumbers, Ressource Hunters, PvM'er will mean more wolves, special the RP kind, who will make Siege a little more Perilous and bring more blue PvP'ers, who will play the role as Virtue knights, trying to protect the land against the red or orange agressive PvP'er. Time will show if it will work, but it look great so far.

Now we just need to move the recipes from the heart wood system to new BoD system so they can claim a randum recipe for the skill from rurning in BODs with 50-250 points and add some new artifacts recipes that ned old artifacts as resources.

And add tools to increase wood color +1 when lumbering that works like prospector tools, garg Pickaxe and Ancient Hammer.

Also a big thanks to the Bulk Order pages in UO Wiki Search Results for “bulk” – Ultima Online.
@Mesanna @Kyronix

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im sorry Freyja, this might be very true for siege, but for the rest of the game, save the 10 or so people who religously post here on UOhall, the bod system will go unused, the need of bod rewards continue to filled by script accounts (probably about 98percent of atlantic sales)

sure, we saw some short-lived hype about the new dyes, but overall i feel it was a massive waste of time when the same effect (new rewards, updates to non-combat skills) could have been achieved very easily and without the need for a massive time-sink of dev resources.

the new running joke is "that EM event was worse than the new bod system"

reasons it failed:
rewards are lack-luster and mostly irrelevant - example - the 250 use tool we can already get from just making an exceptionally crafted one. crafting tallies are useless. they might be good if they had 1k uses for things like scrappers, thats about it.
need for consumable rewards like kits will still be fulfilled by script accounts
same effect could have been done by updating current items (like just giving fish pies a longer effect)
new blackrock automaton is actually worse than the orginal one.

the holiday "artisans festival" i do feel was well done, however it really has nothing to do with the new bod system, most people doing it just have .1 skill and buy the items to fill the bod from npcs.

Now, overall, i do feel the system is much better than the old one. but it would have been so easy to just make it really great with some actually useful rewards. more deco / consumable rewards. hair dyes come to mind. also like i said just updating fish pies would have made cooking (and fishing) vastly more relevant than anything we saw in this publish.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I really don't know the status of normal shards as I never play there. On Siege I see a lot very busy crafters and players who do not use to craft are doing bods now.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I really don't know the status of normal shards as I never play there. On Siege I see a lot very busy crafters and players who do not use to craft are doing bods now.
Eh. I play Great Lakes, which is a (somewhat) normal shard, and I have started doing BODs for the first time ever; the same for at least one guild member. So I like it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree, the siege economy is much healthier when it comes to bods / crafting rewards. i still think the the rewards like the talisams, rock hammer, and 250 use crafting hammer leave something to be desired. i dont think it would have been very hard to come up with some truly desireable rewards. but if your doing it for the actual powder of fort, kits, etc, yes the non-random system is better than the old.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well while I could give a rats about BoDs haven't touched them in YEARS and really don't care to, simply do NOT have the storage for them and I'm NOT going to clutter up my homes with a dozen plus vendors to hold bods for me... I do know a few folk who are overly excited about the BoDs ... have been loving every moment of them and have said things like "What wait? I can get bods from the other places now?! OMG About time!" and were genuinely happy about it... and if it trips their triggers then good.

As for me I like being about to get a barrel to hold tons of POF and reduce a few lockdowns in my home... eventually I'll probably get a few of the other items .... fermentation sounds interesting. If I had space for such a thing. And I'm always into new colors though I will say the new colors are not really my thing... rather um... gaudy if you ask me.

I personally would prefer some nice blues and greens... even some browns. I prefer a darker palate... I'd like a metalic dye tub not in spring like pastels but in more fall type dual colors.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are too many BODs that do not work as intended. Cooking Bods that cant get to exceptional. The Tinker Jewelry BODs cant be received or bribed past iron.

Making the system work as intended would be a start. And I would then agree that Pub 95 could be loved by more.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There are too many BODs that do not work as intended. Cooking Bods that cant get to exceptional. The Tinker Jewelry BODs cant be received or bribed past iron.

Making the system work as intended would be a start. And I would then agree that Pub 95 could be loved by more.
Testing is time eating and expensive, so just be sure to report every bugs and I'm sure they will be solved the next few month. Even with bugs, it is better than if we had to wait months for it.
This way, Devs can focus on next public and fix the bugs on the run as we find them. Remember we do only have few Devs.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Love the point system that did away with the RNG giving me gloves instead of powder. HATE the scribe bods, way too many smalls which makes it impossible to get anything worthwhile. Love the powder kegs and that they can be gotten by bribing up small bods. HATE the jewelry ones tho, cost of gems doesn't justify doing them so I just cancel when they're offered. Cooking ones seem buggy so I just bought the apron (side note: make it so gargoyles can wear them...). Fletching ones I like because now I can get lower runic kits by bribing up small bods. Haven't done a single carpentry one so no comment on them. Mixed emotions on the Alchemy ones since I haven't gotten a large to turn in for a reward. Also wish they had made the bod books usable when locked down instead of having to be in your pack to add or remove them.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a non-BOD "doer", it does nothing for me. But, if it is making part of the player base happy, keeps them busy, and adds new diversity to the game, I am all for it. Glad crafters got something out of it.

Now, rework the reforging & imbuing to be a bit more on-par with legendary artifacts, and I think you will have a very happy crafting community.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would have hailed Pub 95 as a success IF the issues reported with BODs (namely cooking and tinkering) were being fixed in a timely manner. While I appreciate Kyronix's belated acknowledgement of the issues and that they will be addressed, I think its silly to make them wait until Pub 96 rolls out. That may not be until February.

This reminds me of the publish that overhauled T-maps where they were broken for ~3 months afterwards. (When the X's were usually under houses or in the middle of bodies of water) Great promise, failed execution, and a painful wait to be fixed.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would have hailed Pub 95 as a success IF the issues reported with BODs (namely cooking and tinkering) were being fixed in a timely manner. While I appreciate Kyronix's belated acknowledgement of the issues and that they will be addressed, I think its silly to make them wait until Pub 96 rolls out. That may not be until February.

This reminds me of the publish that overhauled T-maps where they were broken for ~3 months afterwards. (When the X's were usually under houses or in the middle of bodies of water) Great promise, failed execution, and a painful wait to be fixed.

Probably will be Feb...aren't they about to take the rest of December off?
Is next pub the pet revamp?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now, rework the reforging & imbuing to be a bit more on-par with legendary artifacts, and I think you will have a very happy crafting community.
Yes it could need some love, I would love to imbue 6 slots and with a weight of 600

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I kinda wish they'd focus on fixing the root cause of all these issues, all the properties non-sense that came with AoS.

Which ever of the former devs had the bright idea of converting a player driven game economy to a Loot based game economy, I sincerely hope he spends the rest of his career writing IoT programs for toasters...

With that said, Pub 95 hasn't been awful, there are some kinks, but I don't see this as being a long lasting bump for crafting. @Smoot is probably right in that soon it will go back to being dominated by the cheats leaving everyone else with such a competitive disadvantage they slip right back into the non-engagement lifestyle they had before. We're probably seeing such a peak now, strictly because of people trying to get the tree built up in order to get gifts. I'll hold off on full judgement of how Pub 95 has helped or hurt the game until this is a thing of the past.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the last year or so, I've had very, very little time to play. Nothing new that's been released in the last year has even come close to making me want to even try to sneak in a few minutes here and there to play. However, I will say that the BOD revamp and the concept of the artisan festival (i.e., participating in a community-based event) have made me actually try to sneak in a few minutes here and there over the last week to actually play the game versus just logging in to collect gift tokens. I feel far too rusty at this point to even try to do any kind of monster-bashing and don't anticipate having the kind of time that involves anytime in the near future, but I'm grateful that something new has been added with crafting that doesn't feel like it will be a waste of my time to do in very short playing sessions.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Nexus, when people start to buy stuff from cheaters and scripters it's because something is wrong and playing chars can't afford the time it take to get the stuff. Making it even harder only give the scripters more business.
I had not done bods for years, I did not enjoy doing it as it made my head hurt. I still believe the banking points are to low vs the time and resources needed. I would changes it to 5% for small bods and maybe 25% for large bods or keep it 20%.

Yes it will make it easier to get better level rewards like runic but also less painful. If players, normal playing crafters can get this reward from normal playing, the prices for the items will drop to a level, where the scripters will get to little profit and move on to something else.

I don't know what price POF and CBD's was selling for on normal shards but before this public, I saw POF for 75k on Siege, now they are down to 45k and I expect them to drop down to around 20k. I never paid 75k for them, my limit was 35k or I would make them my self.

I like to see it being easier to get runic tools, special on Siege, where you only have one Siege bless. It may changes the economy on normal shards too, but I believe it is a good thing. Changes like this make it easier for new players and we may keep more of them if the economy get more healty.

It's to late to go back to pre AoS, we do love a lot of the mods we got and Devs are working on balancing them. The publics we have got the last years have been good, piece for piece, they are bringing the balance back to the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are all these SCRIPTERS at? You can buy UO Gold for as little as $0.12 per mill and you think there are a bunch of BOTs mining/BODs when it costs $13 for a sub + utilities + wear and tear on your CPU + the cost of your system to start with is worth that piddly amount of money. Please people the mass resource scripters died a long time ago.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, unless there's an additional bonus over and above the base point level for turning in larges...

...for all materials better than base materials, you're better off turning in the loose smalls to the Elf than a large.

And even with the base materials, if the BODs are exceptional, you're better off turning in smalls.

The only time it's even close is when doing tailor normal quality cloth & leather smalls.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are all these SCRIPTERS at? You can buy UO Gold for as little as $0.12 per mill and you think there are a bunch of BOTs mining/BODs when it costs $13 for a sub + utilities + wear and tear on your CPU + the cost of your system to start with is worth that piddly amount of money. Please people the mass resource scripters died a long time ago.
Nobody has sold any bulk resources on LS for a long time. For the first time in ages I hear people asking to buy wood and leather in chat. They were answered with crickets.

The only place to obtain resources right now is from these sites if you don't want to gather your own. 12 cent gold wont help you.