• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So Ultima's 20th anniversary is fast approaching was just wondering if finally ...

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since Ultima's 20th anniversary will be next year and this milestone is one that should be largely celebrated because very few MMO's will ever hit this. I was hoping it will finally be time to launch a F2P 'classic' server of the game. I use the term classic lightly as it can refer to anything from Mondain's Legacy / Age of Shadows / Pub 16 or even T2A. I feel that this anniversary will be the game's last great shot at bringing players back to our great game as well as reaching out to people that have never played UO before. We need to finally let people see past the monthly paywall and just get people playing.

The game still has plenty of opportunity to make money. For example going back to a manual house refreshment cycle and offering a purchase of a 30 auto refresh token in the store (tradeable) for $5 or something.

Could incentivize having an active subscription with numerous quality of life perks. Just some quick examples off the top of my head.
  • Access to Vendor Search
  • Enable Recall / Sacred Journey (disable it for non subs) *would also help combat scripters
  • Maybe give out sovereigns every month
  • Murder Counts decay 2x faster / Increased Karma gains
  • Account Age / Veteran Reward picks
  • Access to All servers.
You could even limit this server to the classic client if you felt it necessary for maintenance purposes.

The game needs to hit the reset button and there is not a better time then next year to do it. We deserve a thriving community and economy.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Subscription model for house owners + other perks, basic game for F2P. I really don't see an alternative unless the playerbase/devs/EA want this game to die. If I were the producer of UO I would do everything in my power to get EA to allow it. Shards are dead and there isn't life in this game anymore. I have my reservations about F2P but common.... its 2016 and UO is just not a $15/month game for a prospective player or casual gamer.

I'm glad this has been brought up again - who cares if there are other related threads?? Lot more interesting topic than people complaining about BoDs.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually, I would not mind a "classic" T2A (1998??) level server. No BODs, etc ... just nice old rules of kill or be killed - no matter the foe.

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing an official F2P shard would do is send most of the existing players over to it and abandon all the monthly fee shards which would send the games already dwindling income in the toilet.

Wouldn't mind a pre AoS shard though. Would be fun to step back into the wild wild west again.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'm still of the opinion the best way to increase the player base is offer the game on other platforms. create a lite version of uo for the xbox, psX & smart phone.

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am still waiting for the big announcement next year. Maybe it is big enough for me to subscribe after 6 years again :p
Good luck.

added
Mesanna: Greetings

EM Asiantam: return to Britannia
EM Asiantam: you haven't held it for a while
EM Asiantam: do you have any future plan?

Mesanna: No we have something else in mind for the later part of next year
Mesanna: when we have more details we will announce it
Mesanna: You guys are going to love it =)

EM Asiantam: Thank you!

Will see if that is any good :)

Last edited:

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
20 years of UO without F2P and look where were at bud... a bunch of empty servers.

There are ways F2P can do wonders for UO and active player discussions is one of them. Saying these kind of threads are not productive is highly unproductive toward bringing some life back into UO.

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I would like to be able to move from shard to shard any time I want. To buy things, to build up characters etc. Don't need all the houses, just to experience all the shards.

Enziet

Journeyman
Yes the other shards are pretty dead. Atlantic is booming though. On most weekends I get at leas 10 or more people to try the game with the 14 day free trial. At least 1 - 2 players stay and sub to the game. Now you may not be impressed by those numbers, but when were talking a 20 year old game, with little to no over head. That is actually pretty impressive.

On Atlantic we are seeing droves of returning players because of people helping to advertise the game. Active guilds and communities and a very healthy player market.

I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Yes your shard may be dieing. but there is one shard carrying the game, and the population is just growing. Maybe it's time to consider moving your character over to Atlantic, OR start doing your part too and advertise your shard.

I live stream and do video's on numerous different platforms, of the many people on Atlantic doing things together. Be it PvP to PvM to events, and just small group functions. Even solo stuff. All the new players are coming to Atlantic because of people like me. Do your part too. If you claim to love the game so much.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
F2P will not fix the economy.

F2P will not even the playing field.

F2P will only benefit those who are willing the spend the most - not much difference from current situation.

Everyone's version of what constitutes a "Classic" server is different. Mine is T2A. There will never be consensus on what the best version to roll back to should be.

The Fel-only ruleset already struggles on Siege. I have my doubts it will be successful on a F2P server.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do people continually start this crap up?!?! Just bump the 30+ other posts about this
Surely you know that they start it up because they want to see the game grow. When this is generally brought up I mostly pass over it but this post has good ideas. In thinking on it i think it would be fun. I have custom houses on other shards. I would not mind having a classic house on a shard that was old time rules. I like the thought of perks for subscription people. Everyone knows we need more people. So many shards are so dead as we all know.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Nah, they won't do any of this.

It'll be the town hall meeting with some donuts coffee and some cake.

They'll banter about UO and give out a few trinkets and maybe a couple in game items.

Speaking of free to play though, @Slayvite, it's almost the end of the year. Almost time to pay up the 14.7B.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They'll banter about UO and give out a few trinkets and maybe a couple in game items.

Speaking of free to play though, @Slayvite, it's almost the end of the year. Almost time to pay up the 14.7B.
I figure it will pass with a whimper and a token nod...just like all the other anniversaries have done

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I'm thinking 1 of 2 things, either they got a renewal on their contract with EA will be announced, or they'll be announcing the closure of official servers and "leaking" the server binaries with all the creature/item scripts making UO a F2P game if someone is willing to host a server :p

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I'm thinking 1 of 2 things, either they got a renewal on their contract with EA will be announced, or they'll be announcing the closure of official servers and "leaking" the server binaries with all the creature/item scripts making UO a F2P game if someone is willing to host a server :p
Funny you say that, but I had the same feeling, same way as the 20th anniversary can bring something really exciting, I also have the feeling it could be the last year of UO, EA finally decides to pull the plug and says, for the 20th anni, free accs for all for 1 year till closure. I dont think any MMO has lasted that long yet has it? Will set a bench mark for a few years till another game overcomes it.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just wanted to add we recently had an expansion it did nothing for subscription numbers.
return to britannia would only be a temporary fix if that.
steam still would still have the monthly paywall.

We need to try something new to reach out to new and old players. This paywall is a serious problem holding people back.
You can't remove the subscription cost from the current server's because that would just be a failure. The current player's would demand significant restriction's
which would take the sandbox element out of the game.

Also people want a fresh start in Ultima Online. This world has been overrun by dupes and communitys destroyed due to transfers.