• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

BOD "High Charge" Sribe Pen Reward?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of a test sample of 25 pens, I got the average of 204,8 charge per pen, 5 pens were above 250 charges. Seems a bit silly bod rewards doesn't really have more worth mentioning, or? Test data in "spoiler".

Charges of individual pens.

=1644 (10 pens under 200 charges)

=2184 (10 pens 200-249 charges)

=1292 (5 pens 250+ charges)

+2184
+1292
---

5120 / 25 = 204,8 charge/pen average.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Out of a test sample of 25 pens, I got the average of 204,8 charge per pen, 5 pens were above 250 charges. Seems a bit silly bod rewards doesn't really have more worth mentioning, or? Test data in "spoiler".

Charges of individual pens.

=1644 (10 pens under 200 charges)

=2184 (10 pens 200-249 charges)

=1292 (5 pens 250+ charges)

+2184
+1292
---

5120 / 25 = 204,8 charge/pen average.
Alls there are doing is giving a little reward for a 10 pt BOD. You are free to select the pen or bant the points. Every BOD Person I know fills these 10 pt BODs because they are cheap to fill and when turned in you get another BOD. You can still make your pens and use ingots and a tool or you can get the guaranteed 250 use everytime pen, your choice. You made 25 pens and got 5120 uses and if you would have used 25 10 pt BODs you would have gotten 6250 uses and not used any of your ingots. UUMMMM sounds like a WIN/WIN to me.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While you may not have used any ingots, you definitely used regs and scrolls to get it, so the cost far outweighs the value of the reward (banked or otherwise).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While you may not have used any ingots, you definitely used regs and scrolls to get it, so the cost far outweighs the value of the reward (banked or otherwise).
Not if you are going to do them anyways to get a new BOD. That is what almost all BOD fillers do so they can get new BODs.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just so they can get another small scroll bod. I have 4 GM scribes and so far I've gotten 1 large bod and the rest are all scroll bods. Who came up with having a bod for each mage and necro scroll. The odds are totally against getting anything valuable. When you do Smith bods, you just use ingots which you can mine to fill small ones to get large bods, but with inscription, you need reagents and scrolls to make them (and mana). I just think they didn't put enough effort in figuring out the best way to implement inscription bods. At least with the small fletcher bods, you can get runic kits with them by just bribing them up.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alls there are doing is giving a little reward for a 10 pt BOD. You are free to select the pen or bant the points. Every BOD Person I know fills these 10 pt BODs because they are cheap to fill and when turned in you get another BOD. You can still make your pens and use ingots and a tool or you can get the guaranteed 250 use everytime pen, your choice. You made 25 pens and got 5120 uses and if you would have used 25 10 pt BODs you would have gotten 6250 uses and not used any of your ingots. UUMMMM sounds like a WIN/WIN to me.
It takes 1 ingot to make a scribe pen, and as you can see from data: 15 of 25 pens have 200 charges or more, I like them odds.. Though you are right in the sense that you can use left over points on pens as alternative to banking. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've repeatedly pointed that out in posts that the devs were reading.

Simply, there are a number of tools that have exceptional caps at or above the 250 use mark.

Fletching kits.
Most pens.
(I think) Mortar & Pestle
and others.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mortar and pestle has fewer charges than the other you mentioned, and for those the bod tools are fine, but otherwise yes :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It takes 1 ingot to make a scribe pen, and as you can see from data: 15 of 25 pens have 200 charges or more, I like them odds.. Though you are right in the sense that you can use left over points on pens as alternative to banking. :)
So what are you going to do just throw away all the 10 & 15 Norms, at least but taking the tools you get something besides a new BOD.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what are you going to do just throw away all the 10 & 15 Norms, at least but taking the tools you get something besides a new BOD.
Considering a combination of bribing and able to select own rewards - stuff you can either use or sell for value rather than doing bods mainly just to get a new one.. for most craftskills anyway.

edit

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just so they can get another small scroll bod. I have 4 GM scribes and so far I've gotten 1 large bod and the rest are all scroll bods. Who came up with having a bod for each mage and necro scroll. The odds are totally against getting anything valuable. When you do Smith bods, you just use ingots which you can mine to fill small ones to get large bods, but with inscription, you need reagents and scrolls to make them (and mana). I just think they didn't put enough effort in figuring out the best way to implement inscription bods. At least with the small fletcher bods, you can get runic kits with them by just bribing them up.
At one time I had 10 accounts collecting BODs Smith/Tailor. You only need 00.1 skill point to collect BODs and let your GM turn them in and collect a new one because they have a better chance of getting higher BODs, The more BODs you turn in the more BODs you can collect to get a chance at better BODs.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At one time I had 10 accounts collecting BODs Smith/Tailor. You only need 00.1 skill point to collect BODs and let your GM turn them in and collect a new one because they have a better chance of getting higher BODs, The more BODs you turn in the more BODs you can collect to get a chance at better BODs.
Yes, and you only had to use ingots or cloth to fill them, which is cheap and plentiful. Scribe ones require a lot more than a few ingots or cloth.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, and you only had to use ingots or cloth to fill them, which is cheap and plentiful. Scribe ones require a lot more than a few ingots or cloth.
I have been sticking to the typical crafting skills so I have yet to do the scribe/cook/alac ones yet. What are the 10n small BODs that you normally get? Tink is the worse because there are a lot of the jeweled ring/bracelet/necklace ones that require 1 jewel and 1 ingot to make. Fletcher has arrows and unless you get your own wood/feathers can get expensive. Have done a few Carp ones and so far just wood needed.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the tinker ones, I've gotten 10 Powder Kegs by just bribing up smalls to 20 Exc Ag or 15 Exc Verite. I also love the point system for my smith bods to get powder 100% of the time. I've been collecting all of the others except Carpentry since I don't make wooden armor or weapons very often but I haven't been turning the bods in so I can see what smalls go with what large bods. I just think they blew it with the scribe ones since there are 64 mage and 17 necro scrolls so it's just way to many for the RNG to nail you with.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just think they blew it with the scribe ones since there are 64 mage and 17 necro scrolls so it's just way to many for the RNG to nail you with.
Wait till you get all the 10-15-20 ring-bracelet-necklace BODs