• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will BoD points be getting adjusted at all?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason I ask is:

I just got a tinker BoD, for 10 metal container engraving tools. cool, should be easy.
But the kicker is, it takes
4 ingots
1 spring
2 gear
1 diamond and these are for each tool.

The bod itself is only worth 10 pts, or 0.2 banked. To me, that seems like a lot of hassle and ingreds for the reward (diamonds aint cheap)

compare to the lockpick bod I got right after it, 1 ingot per pick, and that bod offered the exact same pts for hardly any effort and ingreds.

Seems wack to me

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Given it was simply pushed out because of a deadline, I probably won't bother messing with the bods.

The rewards didn't appear to be anything special and the banking system is so far skewed you will lose money using it unless you happen to be script mining.

I wouldn't count on very many tweaks after the roll out.

Now it's on to Doom and Pets. For my playstyle, or what's left of it, it's very underwhelming.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason I ask is:

I just got a tinker BoD, for 10 metal container engraving tools. cool, should be easy.
But the kicker is, it takes
4 ingots
1 spring
2 gear
1 diamond and these are for each tool.

The bod itself is only worth 10 pts, or 0.2 banked. To me, that seems like a lot of hassle and ingreds for the reward (diamonds aint cheap)

compare to the lockpick bod I got right after it, 1 ingot per pick, and that bod offered the exact same pts for hardly any effort and ingreds.

Seems wack to me
%200 :thumbsup: Some of the BOD Points are way out of wack for the ingredients required to fill them.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just did some carp bods. What a clunky turd on these, Had to fill my back pack 10+ times with wood to make 20 exe ornate chests. The next one was a 10 exe dress form which by the way requires both Carpentry and Tailoring.... what happend to some good ole common sense. grrr!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They said this in notes:
  • Removed Fukiya Darts from BOD system.
And I just got this:
Capture.PNG

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Green Tea. It's giving me problems. The wee ceramic mugs, which are all you can make now, don't seem to come in exceptional, which is what the BOD is asking for...

I got a hovering wisp BOD earlier, looked at it, reminded myself where the ingredients come from and said ''hell no''.

Big pictures are important, but they're made up of details. Whoever was handling the details on this one dropped the ball.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I agree the point banking system is truly messed up.... example ... if you turn in a low BoD worth 10 points claimed or 0.2 points banked... that would mean you would have to bank 50 BoDs just to get the same reward of just one of the 50 you turned in to get the points. They need to adjust the banking system.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I spent time on the new BOD's yesterday, and I was not impressed. I like some of the rewards and the fact there are now 8 different types of BOD's. BUT, come on DEVS, 2% to bank a small BOD. Give me a break. It's not worth the bother. Also capping the amount of points bankable at the same value as the highest reward is a joke. What would it hurt to be able to bank say, 5000 points from large BOD's? I am not sure what went wrong but in my opinion something that could have been AWESOME has turned out to be a big disappointment! @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I agree the point banking system is truly messed up.... example ... if you turn in a low BoD worth 10 points claimed or 0.2 points banked... that would mean you would have to bank 50 BoDs just to get the same reward of just one of the 50 you turned in to get the points. They need to adjust the banking system.
Or if you want the reward for the 10 point BOD then simply pick it when you turn in the BOD, FIXED.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I spent time on the new BOD's yesterday, and I was not impressed. I like some of the rewards and the fact there are now 8 different types of BOD's. BUT, come on DEVS, 2% to bank a small BOD. Give me a break. It's not worth the bother. Also capping the amount of points bankable at the same value as the highest reward is a joke. What would it hurt to be able to bank say, 5000 points from large BOD's? I am not sure what went wrong but in my opinion something that could have been AWESOME has turned out to be a big disappointment! @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix
Then do not use the Bank System and do BODs just like you have been doing since they came out. Adding more bankable points to this system will destroy what little value there is to BOD rewards making Crafters a useless playstyle.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, look what I found in the publish notes;

Removed coffee, green tea, and hot cocoa from the cooking BOD system.

Guys, you didn't.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or if you want the reward for the 10 point BOD then simply pick it when you turn in the BOD, FIXED.
the point is.. if you are going to turn in multiple small BoDs to get a bigger reward... you shouldn't have to turn in over 2000 small BoDs... just saying smaller normal BoDs should give a little more banking points to equal out the number you have to turn in.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had suggested when Pub 95 came to TC to separate the Vet Rewards, new Horn of Plenty tables and Holiday gifts and publish them, then we could spend a lot of time testing the new bods. Guess they didn't listen.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the point is.. if you are going to turn in multiple small BoDs to get a bigger reward... you shouldn't have to turn in over 2000 small BoDs... just saying smaller normal BoDs should give a little more banking points to equal out the number you have to turn in.
And alls that will do is devalue the rewards even more by making it easier to get what few rewards that people still want.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And alls that will do is devalue the rewards even more by making it easier to get what few rewards that people still want.
LOL... dude before the new system came out I was all ready doing the BoDs for 40 runic hammers and 30 PoFs a week....
If I do 1000 small BoDs banked to get the same reward as one exceptional BoD claimed .. I sure not going to sell it cheaper....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lightweight shortbow bod.

Worth 10 pts, or 0.2 bank

each one requires a white pearl. Not in this lifetime.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rangers shortbow, 15 count

worth 25 pts or 0.5 bank

Each requires a perfect emerald.

Who thought that point total was a good idea?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This ^^ x2

We want to use the 10 pts towardn another reward. How many of those cheap crap 10 pt stuff do you think we could want?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL... dude before the new system came out I was all ready doing the BoDs for 40 runic hammers and 30 PoFs a week....
If I do 1000 small BoDs banked to get the same reward as one exceptional BoD claimed .. I sure not going to sell it cheaper....
:facepalm: And if you get more Banks Points that means less SBODs to get what you want and you do not think that it will not devalue the reward system.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
See the way I look at it..is before...everyone would just get a BOD they didn't like and throw it on the floor....now it's worth something...2% is still better then trash on the floor yes?

Anyway, I like the new system, am having a blast, just focusing on tinkering for now but collecting the rest as well...up to 230 banked points!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know a bunch of you people like to be obstinate, but Frodo's right on one part of this.

The only BODs really worth banking are the LARGES, which give 20% bank value, not 2%.

****The smalls are DELIBERATELY low value, because they don't want a system where turning in the smalls individually will give you a better reward than filling and turning in the large.****

For example, someone who thought that smalls and larges worked at the same percentile (instead of larges being worth 10x the smalls) erroneously posted yesterday that small BODs would make larges worthless, because there are plenty of smith BODs (Ringmail) where the smalls are each just 200 points less than the large, so 4 550 point BODs would give more points than the 750 point LBOD they were in (WRONG. the smalls would be 11 points each, and the large worth 150 points to bank).

It's a deliberate feature, and the only thing that makes the system workable. If you're gonna bank smalls, you're going to be doing it to turn junk smalls into tools, or be turning in HUNDREDS of BODs to get to a higher reward (not a good idea).

My personal opinion is that the tools need to be higher uses (as some of them ALREADY can be exceptionally crafted at 250 or more uses), and the talismans/maps need to be reduced in point cost. Also, that rarer raw materials and some of the event recipes need to directly be rewards for some of the non-metal skill BODs. (random mining gems, random ML ingredients, etc.)

Now, what really needs fixed in the short term is that there are still too many items that are caught in the "not worth filling" department.

Simply, the problem is that in the BOD system, ALL SMALLS ARE EQUAL for the same base material. An Iron normal Dagger 10 is worth the same points as an Iron normal Plate Tunic 10, despite the 3 ingots vs. 25 ingots per unit. Always has been. Similarly, a leather cap exceptional 20 small (2 leather each, and most tailors can do 100% within hours of character creation) is worth the same as a Bone Armor exceptional 20 small (12 leather, 10 bone, and not even a 120 Tailor with a 30% exceptional talisman can do 100% exceptional).

It's in the LARGE BODs bonuses where the differences in costs get adjusted - at least more noticeably in Smith BODs (which is why, for example, the Fencing BOD, with 1 item only available through crafting or weaponsmiths (which used to not be part of the BOD system), is worth more than the larger BODs where you can buy everything from the blacksmith; or the smaller chainmail LBODs are worth more than Ringmail)

There isn't an easy way in the current system (which would have to be completely replaced) to have small BODs adjust for additional materials other than the base material used by the skill (food materials for cooks, reagents for scribes and alchemists, metal for tinkers, wood for carpenters and fletchers). Only LARGE BODs have that flexibility, and it appears that they weren't examined closely enough to properly adjust them in the rush to get them out.

There's too many BODs (large and small) that require ML ingredient/gem items that were left in, but undervalued (a shortbow LBOD should be worth a LOT more, given the number of ML gems that are required for 3 or 4 of its smalls - and that's just using a low-end example from my own pulls). This isn't as much a dealbreaker for the larges, but they really need to be worth the expense.

They need to be revalued to take into account this difference - and, frankly, so do the Bone LBODs for Tailor (they and the studded are both worth less than the 6-parters because of size, but BOTH use more material, require MUCH higher skill, and Bone uses a material that prevents recycling, to boot!).

@Kyronix , care to take a look at this?

Basara, Stratics UO Craftsman moderator and author/editor of many of the Stratics Crafter guides.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really don't think the issue is banking. Pretty sure everyone is aware of my opinion on that. It seems like the lack of certain ingredients is the largest hurdle.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There may still be some bugs, but I love the new system. If we keep posting the bugs, I'm sure they will get fixed. I got 2 ash runic fletching tools so far, I'm very happy about that

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
u usually get the good rewards from filling large bods, not small. the only reason usually to fill smalls and turrn in is to possibly get a large bod\better bods. if a bod has too much ingredients/cost don't fill it. not all bods will be worth filling. at least a lot of stuff has a use now to fill these bods. in my opinion, they shouldn't of had banking of points but too late now. the bod fill scripters will really benefit from the point banking (mostly the tailor/bs ones). you can bribe certain bods to possibly get the bod u need. this has really help to get the bod u need but the more u bribe, the more it starts to cost. you may need to wait afew days before bribing again. it will be easier when u get a lot of bods. I'm going to collect for awhile before trying to fill and will mostly just fill the larges. I will bank points but it depends on reward. crappy rewards I will bank. the only reward I wish they had would be a one use artifact tool for 100% enhancing.
ps, devs ty for auto fill from container. this will help to compete with bod fillers scripts and save people from hand injuries lol

Last edited:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This one is right. Fukiya darts were removed, because they stack and can't be seperated. The fukiya itself is a weapon so does not pose that problem.
Good to know then, thanks. :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
See the way I look at it..is before...everyone would just get a BOD they didn't like and throw it on the floor....now it's worth something...2% is still better then trash on the floor yes?

Anyway, I like the new system, am having a blast, just focusing on tinkering for now but collecting the rest as well...up to 230 banked points!
Sorry I could not like this more than once. SPOT ON

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Banking of points should have worked on a higher percentage for initial turn-in with diminishing returns that approached the current percentile awarded after a small number of turn-ins. There are too many bods which are prohibitively expensive to fill for points and/or the available reward.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Banking smalls is pointless. Unless it is what I call "junk smalls" - aka the ones that don't go into an LBOD.
If a small goes into an LBOD, it is filled and sits in one of the many BOD-books I have to await the chance of me getting that LBOD to add it to.

I have noticed one thing though, I am suddenly getting more LBODs than I ever had in all my years of smithing. I am happy for that now. :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, devs, I have a request - Can you increase the ways to get some of the ingredients?

For example, the only way to get the small wooden bowls for "Fruit Bowls" (cooking item that buffs, also has a BOD) is to BUY BOWLS OF A VERY FEW TYPES OF FOOD, AND THEN EAT THE FOOD.

You can imagine how this hinders production when you have a BOD that needs 20 of these. God forbid I was a cook on SP or Mugen and only had ONE character to empty the bowls. As it is, I'm on Lake Austin with 3 accounts, and there's no longer any access to the NPC with the pepto, because the Castle British gate is dropped there.

For that matter, there's only one location that I know of where you can buy the Bananas for them - otherwise it's a matter of farming gorillas for an occasional banana, or emptying Cornucopias.

You need to go through ALL the crafting menus, and make sure that the materials to craft stuff (ESPECIALLY the stuff that has BODs) has a means directly acquire the ingredients, either by resource gathering, manufacture, or both. Having eating binges to get empty bowls for one small BOD is ludicrous.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And, devs, I have a request - Can you increase the ways to get some of the ingredients?

For example, the only way to get the small wooden bowls for "Fruit Bowls" (cooking item that buffs, also has a BOD) is to BUY BOWLS OF A VERY FEW TYPES OF FOOD, AND THEN EAT THE FOOD.

You can imagine how this hinders production when you have a BOD that needs 20 of these. God forbid I was a cook on SP or Mugen and only had ONE character to empty the bowls. As it is, I'm on Lake Austin with 3 accounts, and there's no longer any access to the NPC with the pepto, because the Castle British gate is dropped there.

For that matter, there's only one location that I know of where you can buy the Bananas for them - otherwise it's a matter of farming gorillas for an occasional banana, or emptying Cornucopias.

You need to go through ALL the crafting menus, and make sure that the materials to craft stuff (ESPECIALLY the stuff that has BODs) has a means directly acquire the ingredients, either by resource gathering, manufacture, or both. Having eating binges to get empty bowls for one small BOD is ludicrous.
At risk of starting a whole slew of rage-posts in my direction...
Have you considered asking friends to a small feast and asking them to please leave the bowls behind?
Is what we used to do anyway. My sons and I would RP "parties" and ppl would eat their fill and leave the bowls which we used for deco and stuff.

sorry... not being critical, but I remember a time when UO was a group-activity and the real joy was in doing things with others.

Just my dos pence.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I made my comment without really investigating this. I've been doing the fletching quests and wtf.....this makes no sense, turn the bod in now for 50 pts, or bank 1 pt. I've gotten 4 20 count lightweight shortbows...80 white pearls down the drain so far. And wth , am I doing something wrong, if I have 50 pts to use now, and i select the fletching kit, it gives me one for 10 pts, and it eats my other 40 pts ? or is it giving me 5 kits ? This is lame at best.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was more lucky than you, I got 2 BODs for bows, not the one using special resources. Bribed them to Heartwood 20x esp and got 2 Ash fletching runic from my first 3 BODs, then from the turnin, I got one more BOD, I easy could a Ash runic fletching tools for. I say easy because I have some colored woods in stock, I'm sure that will changes soon :p

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At risk of starting a whole slew of rage-posts in my direction...
Have you considered asking friends to a small feast and asking them to please leave the bowls behind?
Is what we used to do anyway. My sons and I would RP "parties" and ppl would eat their fill and leave the bowls which we used for deco and stuff.

sorry... not being critical, but I remember a time when UO was a group-activity and the real joy was in doing things with others.

Just my dos pence.
What if I don't have any friends :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, a talisman for chopping wood that starts to decay the second you get it..you devs really are clueless.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I made my comment without really investigating this. I've been doing the fletching quests and wtf.....this makes no sense, turn the bod in now for 50 pts, or bank 1 pt. I've gotten 4 20 count lightweight shortbows...80 white pearls down the drain so far. And wth , am I doing something wrong, if I have 50 pts to use now, and i select the fletching kit, it gives me one for 10 pts, and it eats my other 40 pts ? or is it giving me 5 kits ? This is lame at best.
This has been stated many times in other BOD posts that if you pick a reward of lesser value that you would lose the remainder of the points.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been stated many times in other BOD posts that if you pick a reward of lesser value that you would lose the remainder of the points.
Are the 50 point titles transferable or sellable and useable by others ? If not, that's just idiotic.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if you take it off then you would want the timer to stop?
Of course not, I dont want or need an easy button, but having it lose 1 hr immediately when it hit my pack was kind of insulting. As soon as you equip it , it should start the timer and then never stop it until it expires.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Wow, a talisman for chopping wood that starts to decay the second you get it..you devs really are clueless.
Fill the BOD for it but don't turn it in before you have a lot time to use the tali but I agree, for players with a real life too it is not that useful as you may only have 2 hours out of 24

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What if I don't have any friends :)
In my case, it's sadly an issue -

Once I was a guildmaster of several guilds in the second-largest non-PvP alliance on my shard.

After a decade of departures, RL deaths, etc. I'm one of THREE people still active in the alliance, and the only active player left in my guilds.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nexus core should also get removed. All that trouble for 150points that cannot get your anything decent.

SS_764.gif

SS_765.gif

As for Gold dust.......well...........success chance 33%+30=67% for some people + 15 Hygieia = 85%
For just 50 points. Best. Gold. Sink.
SS_763.gif