• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do people say EC is cheating?

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is available right off of uo.com, where as someone had to tell me about UOA back in the day. EC just combines UOA while simplifying key settings plus an easy to use map thats great for creating a party so 3rd party map programs aren't needed.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People often say to me "turn that speeder down". The EC is way faster. If you also enable the always run option, turning is (or seems to be) way faster as well.

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So its good for escaping ganks, bad for staying close to a target on melee due speed making it harder to stay tile to tile. Can't hold a spell unless targeting system is changed to classic which ruins other EC quality's. I'm still not seeing it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't hold a spell unless targeting system is changed to classic which ruins other EC quality's. I'm still not seeing it.
You can hold spells. Change the target to "cursor".

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing that makes EC faster is not the run speed, which is the same.. but the timer to change direction.. which has great influence on overall navigation. If you wish a demonstration:

Move your mouse in circles around your character.
In CC it will stand still and basicly just spin without moving
in EC it will run around in circles

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC has better pathfinding. Where CC will rubberband off things it should go around, EC doesn't. Straight line, no obstacles there's little to no difference. What, exactly, do you mean by 'can't hold a spell'? I precast invis regularly and have no problems holding it till I'm where I want to stop and hit my 'target self' button.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is available right off of uo.com, where as someone had to tell me about UOA back in the day. EC just combines UOA while simplifying key settings plus an easy to use map thats great for creating a party so 3rd party map programs aren't needed.
They're being facetious.

Some of the mechanics in CC can only be accomplished with 3rd party programs.

However, those same mechanics were made readily available, and then some, in the EC. (I assume after Pinco tweaked it, I don't know.)

So they don't literally mean it's cheating, they're just making a comparison of the two,
And in a lot of cases to justify the use of the programs in Cc.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not cheating, but people who refuse to switch clients are just salty that the EC works a lot better.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
one of the worse things the devs have done was to make one client better than another. many I know have or are about to quit for this reason and for cheating. ill say it again if things are not fair, they tend to leave. there is no comparison to ec/pincos vs cc/uo assit. why don't the dev make or approve programs for cc to make game on a level playing field. this isn't rocket science. the devs have cause this and hey need to fix. this should be a priority. some of things the ec/pinco client can do can only be done by using illegal programs which is considered cheating for cc. ec/pincos gives a huge advantage. many cc users do not know what ec/pincos can do and would not be happy if they knew. just my opinions

I don't want u to work on my car, I want u to fix it.

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why don't the dev make or approve programs for cc to make game on a level playing field.
What does the EC have that the CC/UOA doesn't have? Besides movement which is inevitable due to EC is setup for more improvements while CC is what it is.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What does the EC have that the CC/UOA doesn't have? Besides movement which is inevitable due to EC is setup for more improvements while CC is what it is.
The EC has a fully built-in scripting engine, which is used to create a complex user interface on top of some basic building blocks given by the developers. In practice however it is not only used for the UI, but also for triggering certain game mechanics.

One particular thing that always comes up, is the possibility to automate switching between war/peace mode when you are hit with Blood Oath, basically negating the whole use of the spell.

Everyone that has worked with the EC knows there are a couple of grey areas, that were certainly not intended to be utilized by players but had to be there for the client to work. To call it cheating is imho pretty cheap and only shows a clear lack of understanding of the EC architecture at all.

Real cheaters have way better tools to rely on than the legal Lua sandbox or UOAssist.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Just to name a few:

- Single button push, automatic suit swap
- Target nearest enemy / friendly / etc.
- Target enemy with low health / Target friendly with low health
- Everyones bars are automatically on your screen (no need to pull bars) These bars will be organized by color and can even be sorted by distance from you
- Some mages will use the current target targeting making spells cast seemingly super fast ( almost as if every spell is queued)
- Target window will show you exactly how many tiles away your target is
- Zoom out will let you see a larger area of the game world
- Map will show where your body is when you die, and just a better map all around
- Drag any item / potion / whatever to hotbar to setup hot key for that item

I've also legally modded the client to show health percentages overhead. Show big / large notifications when I'm cursed / death striked, and for when these debuffs are removed.

I've also legally modded the client to show overhead text of what level my spell focusing sash is at everytime it changes.

The art in it DOES suck, though. EC with CC art would be absolute perfection.

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
THe Devs obviously prefer EC to CC... just look at all the recent artwork done and the amount of attention it gets by them. The amount you can do in EC vs CC is devastating to CC. If you were to just run the two clients side by side and compare with out any add ons its laughable. If you are PvPing with CC you are running 3 programs (cc, uoa, cart) opposed to just running EC.

With all that said, its sad the Devs havent/wont figure out a way to add some simple things to CC like chugging pots for example... its pathetic CC users have to result to 3rd party programs to make CC remotely comparable to EC. It has been a long time coming they take the time to help the CC.

#allsubscribersmatter #redlivesmatter #iplayboth #thishashtagisuselessliketherestofthehashtagshere,butthisoneisreallylongsoitscool

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been a long time coming they take the time to help the CC.
They have already said they will "continue support" for the CC but "making a majority of improvements to the EC". So yeah I doubt any extra features will be coming to the CC anytime soon sadly.

What happened to that larger CC gameplay window they teased us with months ago....!!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the primary reason is the unequal capabilities between the two client... particularly the ability to individually mod the EC.

Like the aforementioned ability to have the EC react to other mechanisms in game without user input. In CC, that is only achieved using 3rd party applications to "mod" the CC.

My personal opinion (given the current state of unenforement) is that they allow both to be considered legal so long as they are attended. I think all users should have access to the same functionality regardless of the client they prefer for graphics.

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to name a few:

- Single button push, automatic suit swap
- Target nearest enemy / friendly / etc.
- Target enemy with low health / Target friendly with low health
- Everyones bars are automatically on your screen (no need to pull bars) These bars will be organized by color and can even be sorted by distance from you
- Some mages will use the current target targeting making spells cast seemingly super fast ( almost as if every spell is queued)
- Target window will show you exactly how many tiles away your target is
- Zoom out will let you see a larger area of the game world
- Map will show where your body is when you die, and just a better map all around
- Drag any item / potion / whatever to hotbar to setup hot key for that item

Sounds awesome.

EC graphics aren't bad but i understand the love for the classic look.

In CC is there a way to set keys up without using alt,crtl (so chat doesn't fill up like in ec by using enter)

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a video I recorded a little while ago just to show some of the mods I made and a little bit of what PVP might look like in EC. ( really the only video I've ever recorded and my performance isn't anything to write home about so it was really my only motivation for recording it.) The two mods you'll notice are health percentage over my head and a large bouncing arrow overtop of my last target. You'll also notice a bug in EC at around 3:18 that is super annoying (mobile staying on your screen when they really aren't there). The thing I like most about EC is how smooth and fluid the movement is. While the art is WAY better in CC, IMO, the choppy movement in CC is almost unbearable after playing in EC.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know the DEVs have said on MANY occasions that they won't be adding functions to the CC... Why? Ask them... but I'm pretty sure they will tell you that they don't want to mess with the code for it... too complicated.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In simple terms, the EC client is enhanced with better functionality - that's why it's called Enhanced.

Microsoft have brought out several 'enhanced' versions of their operating system, but some folk prefer to stay with older versions. It's all a matter of choice, but you can't get 'new car' performance out of a car engineered 10 years ago. Technology has moved on.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The suit swap is the biggest advantage EC has to offer, almost no one uses it, but it can essentially be similar to playing on TC1 since jewelry & other items can have so high skill point increase values, you could use a macro to switch your suit (skills) to perform things someone on CC couldn't do without otherwise having items with the stats of multiple items an EC user could get away with.

Also, very few (almost no one) uses suit swap to achieve that. -There was a thread about it quite a while ago... but you get people arguing between it being removed or being added to both clients.
Other than that, both CC with UOA (or equivalents) & EC are very comparable. i.e. the "advantages" aren't enough to where it makes the difference of someone winning or losing.

Although, some CC programs can be used to cause lag (hanging) or client-crashing of other players. luckily it wasn't abused by so many, and the particular crash I'm talking about is fixed.
- It doesn't mean it's not still possible to do so with other methods. That's the main problem I have with the "illegal" programs most pvper's use.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the mechanics are nice in the EC, i just can't bring myself to play looking at the graphics.

They're just bad.
Oh, neither can I, but I accept that not only does it have better/more features, it simply runs much smoother. I have to admit I felt so free the time I loaded the EC up and ran through the woods, every tree and bramble being auto evaded.

Many folks cannot accept that there sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you enjoy most. For me it's the aesthetic feel, and nostalgia, for others it's functional semi-modern (though even that is being generous) game play.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC graphics aren't bad but i understand the love for the classic look.
Well... I think if they had just left the KR art, and refined it over the years it would have looked -OK-, but this nightmare patchwork mishmash we ended up with simply looks like an amature hour production. If I were a new player and I saw two completely different art styles at two different resolutions smooshed together on the same client it would not instill in my much faith in the experience.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In simple terms, the EC client is enhanced with better functionality - that's why it's called Enhanced.

Microsoft have brought out several 'enhanced' versions of their operating system, but some folk prefer to stay with older versions. It's all a matter of choice, but you can't get 'new car' performance out of a car engineered 10 years ago. Technology has moved on.
It is one thing to say it can't be done... but it is completely another to say it can be done, but for one client we are going to make it illegal and for the other client it will be ok.

I have NO doubt that much of the functionality available in the EC could be added to the CC through 3rd party programs.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is one thing to say it can't be done... but it is completely another to say it can be done, but for one client we are going to make it illegal and for the other client it will be ok.

I have NO doubt that much of the functionality available in the EC could be added to the CC through 3rd party programs.
They are. I have health percentage overhead in *****, but the arrow over last target is definitely nice. @elster: Does that have a range limit like tracking does?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everyone that has worked with the EC knows there are a couple of grey areas
Very true. You aren't able to automate all of things the unmentionable 3rd party programs do, but you can do some shady stuff with it.

I was able to create a 'spybot' pretty easily in it (announcing the presence of a player in guild chat if they walked by).

I also was able to duel client, one in CC running an illegal 3rd party program, and another using the enhanced client. I partied the two players up and with the press of a key I could feed commands to the CC client from the EC client via party chat. I had it so a gargoyle character would follow me around and dismount my current target when I pushed a button by feeding it the targeted players name who i wanted dismounted. I had commands so it could toggle war mode, accept a rez, follow me, stop following me, walk through a gate, hide. This was completely unpractical in the field though.. too much of a pain in the ass to keep control of and rarely effective. Did it more for fun / as a proof of concept.

I've done a few other grey area type things in it. It's fun to play around with.

The suit swap is the biggest advantage EC has to offer, almost no one uses it, but it can essentially be similar to playing on TC1 since jewelry & other items can have so high skill point increase values, you could use a macro to switch your suit (skills) to perform things someone on CC couldn't do without otherwise having items with the stats of multiple items an EC user could get away with.
I disagree that the suit swap is the biggest advantage, though I do believe it has the biggest potential to be if it was abused more. I just don't really see anyone doing this, and I haven't really found it practical in PVP yet... on my mage at least... but there is some major potential here. I think auto bars and the targeting are the best features.

Can you send me this!? Nice job. I like.
I can.. however, the version of this that I have (that i still play with) is actually still using an old version of the official UI. The new UI after ToL with the new money system / masteries don't work correctly in it, i need to update this. It still works fine, just the mastery book looks ****ed up, and you won't be able to trade money without logging out and selecting the default UI. I'll get around to this eventually, just I'm the only one who uses it so I haven't had much motivation to and I deal with the caveats mentioned. I also have a bit of project A.D.D. right now.

They are. I have health percentage overhead in *****, but the arrow over last target is definitely nice. @elster: Does that have a range limit like tracking does?
It'll just show overhead when the player is on your screen. When they go off screen it disappears, or it might hang at the edge of the screen in the direction that they left. It's mostly useful in big group fights to see where your target is (though i feel like i have this problem more in EC than CC due to the graphics).

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree that the suit swap is the biggest advantage, though I do believe it has the biggest potential to be if it was abused more. I just don't really see anyone doing this, and I haven't really found it practical in PVP yet... on my mage at least... but there is some major potential here. I think auto bars and the targeting are the best features.
I know a lot of Stealth dexxer templates that carry a 55lmc suit while fighting and a 40 lmc suit to stealth away in. Which i absolutely think is an abuse of what that function was intended for.

I think in all reality the devs/mesannas only option here is to approve certain things for cc as long as you arent afk. Which is already pretty much the rule since i know of no one that has been punished unless they were AFK.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It takes awhile to setup. I believe if you record all the loot types( imbuing ingredients) you can one click loot as well

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought that was funny, you disagree, but then say it has the biggest potential? You don't disagree with it. I said it's not widely used, people don't know wtf they're talking about when they claim EC is "cheating" when CC has the same things be it obtained illegally or not.

Suit swap is the only thing EC has that you cannot get in CC, period.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought that was funny, you disagree, but then say it has the biggest potential? You don't disagree with it. I said it's not widely used, people don't know wtf they're talking about when they claim EC is "cheating" when CC has the same things be it obtained illegally or not.

Suit swap is the only thing EC has that you cannot get in CC, period.
I listed many things that you can get in EC that you can't in CC. Showing you where your body is on the map when you die, auto bars, the targeting i mentioned you can't get in CC without third party programs. Suit swap is an awesome feature and I think it has a lot of potential that hasn't quite been tapped into yet. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I agree somewhat with you and see your point, personally the other things I mentioned I think are slightly more useful. No big deal.

Not only that, but we are talking about what is legal in the EC compared to legal in CC. Listing legal features in the EC that would be considered illegal in the CC is very relevant to this conversation in this thread. To say you can do all of those things in CC with illegal programs may be true for some of the features, but we all know this, and it is not really what this thread is about.

Last edited:

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Script kiddies can make a third party assist program that is very professionally done yet EA cant spend a month reverse engineering?

Hello the reason most still play is because of CC.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Script kiddies can make a third party assist program that is very professionally done yet EA cant spend a month reverse engineering?

Hello the reason most still play is because of CC.
Pretty much bingo! If they made the EC completely customizable a CC Art Mod would be out in a month. Problem solved..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So to be a "legit" PvPer you should be playing in CC with no uoa, nothing at at all right? By that logic every pvper is just a no skill cheating newbie. What would that make people who use extreme pvp advantage cheat programs?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think when people say EC is cheating, they aren't exactly being serious. I see it more being used as a kind of a counter argument to 3rd party programs being considered cheating, as the only way to get some of those features in CC are via these 3rd party programs. For an example in the other thread I posted something like "I use EC, best cheat program there is", I was being facetious here. Most PVPers, or most players in general are probably using CC, and I think it has more to do with the art / what people are used to using. I doubt any of those PVPers in CC consider EC users to actually be cheaters.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So to be a "legit" PvPer you should be playing in CC with no uoa, nothing at at all right? By that logic every pvper is just a no skill cheating newbie. What would that make people who use extreme pvp advantage cheat programs?
Except for the part where UOA is, and has been for over a decade, one of the approved 3rd party programs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Its hard going back to CC after getting use to EC
Nearly impossible for me... I can't even remember how to talk in chat or party or even log out of the game... and I'm forever single clicking things wondering why it doesn't work.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No way I can go back to the CC now. Feature wise, the EC is just packed with far more functionality.
It is miles better than the CC. It just looks ugly, but I can handle ugly. I see myself in the mirror every morning after all!

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it also depends on your computer to. I have an eight year old laptop that handles CC better. I switch to the CC for stuff like EM events. Then I have a 5 year old desktop that handles the EC.

The EC require more time to setup macros

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I will also never go back to CC, graphics be damned. The functionality of EC is worth taking the time to learn the new client, set up macros for each character, etc. The CC graphics simply aren't worth staying with a less efficient client for the sake of nostalgia, in my opinion.

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only play EC. I have no idea why you would want to play on 12x12 tile screen when you can have a huge screen. I play on a wide screen 30inch. I can see the gank coming from a mile away.