• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If an EM left an Event Item out would you return it?

If the EM left the Original Event Item out would you return it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 58.5%

• Total voters

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just out of curiosity, if the EM left the Original Event Item out. You could pick it up and put it in your pack. Would you return the item to the EM? or would you keep it? Or sale it?

Now keep in mind if you return it. All you get is a Thank You.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not everybody that plays UO is dishonest and greedy. Yes I would return it. I have also bought items from vendors and returned the items to sellers that I knew for a fact the price was wrong. I did this at a public auction once and you should have heard to buyer SCREAM.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just out of curiosity, if the EM left the Original Event Item out. You could pick it up and put it in your pack. Would you return the item to the EM? or would you keep it? Or sale it?

So by your silence are you saying you would not or did this happen to you and you are wondering what you should do?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd keep it. The EM or whoever can just push a button and make another one appear if he misses it.
The issue with that is EM's have actually been fired for mistakes like this in the past. By not returning it you might literally be causing them to lose their job. If Mesanna does a search on that item for whatever reason and sees 11 exist instead of 10, then goes and investigates the issue and sees it went directly from the EM's backpack, to the floor, to your backpack.... It makes it look like the EM corruptly gave a player a free item unfairly.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes I would return it (and have done that on GL once in the past).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd return it if the EM personally asked for it back.

If not, I wouldn't. -Simple.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The issue with that is EM's have actually been fired for mistakes like this in the past. By not returning it you might literally be causing them to lose their job. If Mesanna does a search on that item for whatever reason and sees 11 exist instead of 10, then goes and investigates the issue and sees it went directly from the EM's backpack, to the floor, to your backpack.... It makes it look like the EM corruptly gave a player a free item unfairly.
I'd hope Mesanna has better things to do lol.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm still trying to figure out how that would happen.... it's not like one can just drop something easily. It's a process

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm still trying to figure out how that would happen.... it's not like one can just drop something easily. It's a process
The interesting thing is that technically EM's are not physically capable of dropping an item like that. Their accounts are set so that 100% of items they drop are instantly locked the floor because of issues where they forgot to lock stuff down in the past.

If that EM was able to drop something without it auto-locking down, there is a setting wrong on their account that a dev needs to fix. Or that option was unlocked for them on purpose.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The interesting thing is that technically EM's are not physically capable of dropping an item like that. Their accounts are set so that 100% of items they drop are instantly locked the floor because of issues where they forgot to lock stuff down in the past.

If that EM was able to drop something without it auto-locking down, there is a setting wrong on their account that a dev needs to fix. Or that option was unlocked for them on purpose.
this is not true. ask @Longtooths

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
id keep it. giving it back would destroy much of a lessoned learned to be more careful and precise with the EM position. in the end, its pixels. if they want another one for reward hall they could get another one.

if it was a player now that would be another story. unless i hated the guy i would give it back if a player dropped it by accident.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

this is not true. ask @Longtooths
There's been issues with that.

Lake Austin had several of our EM locked down items vanish (including one of the pieces of the Traccor armor that Augustus' events were giving out), when we transitioned from Augustus to Topaz. Near as we can figure, for those items, the auto-lockdown failed either prior to the transition, or when the transition became official. As the items were locked down in our seldom-visited Fairgrounds Hall in the hinterlands of Malas, no one knows if the items just decayed after their lockdowns failed, or if someone actually picked them up. All we know is that items that had been locked down disappeared in the time just prior to Augustus' last event, and Topaz's first event, and Topaz had no clue as to why.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would keep it and disappear and here is why. I stole one from an EM legit in Fel and returned a few minutes later and asked the EM about the item and the EM simply took it back. She offered me the event item that was being given out by the boatload but I was mad that she simply took it back outside of the context of the game and so I refused it. If I was greedy I would have accepted the item she offered or disappeared to begin with. I refused out of principle.Trying to ransom the item even in an RP sense would get you no where. So in addition to players now being protected by ridiculous rules and facets so now the EMs are protected even further from themselves. After that incident If something similar happened I would just disappear out of principle.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How have so many of you done this before? There's at least 4 people in this thread claiming that they've returned EM items in this scenario. They must be dropping these things a lot.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Smoot ,

Naw, that wasn't the EM that put it down. It was one of their friends that put it out to show everyone. The EM just saw me snake it and asked me to return it.....which I did.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted for that I would keep it, but reading your message ........ maybe I would vote for giving the item back now. But I bet the EM's were not fired because of a mistake, so .....

If I would be sure nobody would suffer from my decision, then I would keep it, because it is just a piece of pixels and it not an abuse of game mechanics.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Earlier this year in one event I was sitting on the front row and the EM was on the platform just 2 tiles away from the crowds. He wanted to show an item as part of the story arc, so he put it on the table in front of him. I mouse-hovered the item to see its name --- my finger accidentally clicked the mouse (or maybe I just wanted to see if it was locked down). That's already some 3~4 seconds elapsed. Anyhow...oops, to my surprise the item was now dragging on my cursor. I realized what I did while the EM also realized it was gone. The panic lasted for about 5 seconds as I spoke up and handed it back. That EM remembered me and thanked me every time he saw me.

I forgot what the item was but it was very nice and unique and was not a boss drop item. I was also surprised the item wasn't locked down right away especially it was within reach of many players.

In the end, yes, all I got was thank you :D

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Like everyone else, I would claim to return it, but actually keep it or sell it for rediculous amounts of imaginary gold.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well it depends. If my EM made a shiney golden toad or a pulsating glowing mushroom I may be tempted to keep it. Alas the EM on my shard is well seasoned and besides there are so many event goers with huge amounts of flapping gargoyles and dragons I would never even see the item. I have all I can do to read the EMs words and try and see the event

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hah no. I'm not some greedy rares hound or anything, It's just not a real object, no one has lost property, so I don't see what possible harm is being done. They could delete it from your bag or make a million more if they wanted to. I'd consider it my reward for being keen eyed.

In real life if I found something someone lost, I would do my best to get it back to them, because in that scenario an actual items has been lost by someone, and that could negatively impact their life. If the EM would get fired or something, then sure I'd give it back.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was something that happened a few months ago. I emailed the EM and returned it within 24 hrs.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I were on my Thief Tough Luck there EM, if I were on my paladin hand it over and accept the disingenous thanks.