• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UoGuide is about to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it's a huge blow in my opinion. a void that won't easily or feasibly be filled by this site or an official broadsword one...

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A terrible loss, yet potentially preventable.

How many out there have used the site over the years and never bothered once to add some missing info, upload a missing pic or write a missing page?

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!!!

All kidding aside, wikis are incredibly easy to edit. Anyone can do it. I urge everyone to go back and add or fix something you know is needed and show JC we appreciate the site.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love that site and it answers all of the questions I have in UO! Well except for the %'s and stuff on armor and weapons.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You say anyone can do it... but many of us... are old. I'm sorry but I wouldn't know the first thing about editing a Wiki... I took intro to computer programming in HS... Back some 30+ years ago... scary saying that one... and we had green screen computers with dot matrix printers...

I didn't touch a computer at ALL again until probably 10 years or so later... and then took Lotus1,2,3 and Word Perfect I think in College... which basically taught me how to type... which I already knew... then again went probably another 4 or 5 years without touching a computer (outside of for work) until I finally got my first one around 2000... which when I bought it I bought UO... Second game I bought outside "The Sims" and Baulders Gate... and I played the Sims more than anything else for a long time... Didn't really get hooked on UO till I found the RP community on GLs... I started using Stratics about that time too because the book that came with UO and the two Prima guides that I bought just didn't tell me everything I needed to know. Now while I will gather information most the time if anyone asked and I know a whole lot about things in UO... I honestly don't think there is anywhere I haven't been... anything I haven't really seen (barring weird EM stuff on shards outside GLs)... or any skill I haven't worked 100% free without macroing... Only skill I've never gotten to 120 or GM is Taming... I never went beyond 115... didn't see the need.

So anyway chances of me having clue 1 about wikis... Nil... Heck I can't even navigate them that well.

I can post on forums... and a few other things that I've picked up... but honestly I think a vast majority of folk don't have a clue... lack confidence and/or don't want to bork it... Honestly I'm more afraid I'll bork something up or post something wrong... and likely a bunch are concerned about getting grief over doing or touching anything like that.

And no one wants to see it go... but... I for one hate to see the already waning playerbase get fractured over something so mundane as a Wiki... Does it matter how many there are??? I mean really? If you want information you search for it... and if you can't find it you search somewhere else... and then you ask about...

I'd hate to see a further breakdown of communications and understanding of the game we all love.

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well that would be a sad day indeed, a huge disservice to the overall community, and the people who have participated in building it over the years. I don't understand the rather cryptic reasons. Hopefully whatever internal struggles UO guide is facing can be resolved without the need to just delete years of valuable information at the expense of the entire community. That would indeed be tragic.

I can only wish for the best.

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
that's unfortunate. Personally I have a bit of love hate with the thing because the video ads suck up my bandwidth so bad uo lags out.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use UOGuide every day to lookup things and I would really miss it. But I also understand that it is too much work for one single person to manage this all.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can you just leave what's there already and just not worry so much about changing it - that wouldn't require any work at all and if you were feeling particularly energetic some day, you could throw a few quick edits in because we all use uoguide pretty much constantly and you don't need to completely get rid of it - it has alot of useful info as is - just go unattended mode :)

(it would really really realllllllllllly suck if uoguide just disappeared off the net - bigtime)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I understand it can be hard to keep it updated, but there are a lot info in UOGuide, you can't find anywhere else. It would be a big lose to see it gone. At least keep it as it is now and warn it is not updated.
I do use it almost daily.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it is going about loosing time to correct stuff. Imho he should Set the side to read only until there is a final decision or a New staff.
Btw. Dr. Spector lenses was my last article there. If I have time and found something that i miss in uoguide i tend to write it down.
So many ants can move a whole mountain. That's the idea behind Wikis.

Sad to read his forum post. I hope this is not the final curtain of uoguide.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't understand the rather cryptic reasons. .
It did remind of "This was the worst day of my life." facebook posts where they just leave it at that. He wants to revive Atlantic role playing? He thinks he's disappointed with the wiki, he's gonna be really disappointed with that :p

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hopefully he will leave it up, as read only? if he can and can keep the ad revenue paying the bandwidth. Would be a tremendous loss if he yanked it down completely. Let's face it, the UO official wiki has the info, but you have to run circles to find it. Or I do anyway lol. All the old Stratics stuff isnt available, the promised Wiki here might be good, might not, and as much as stratics has changed hands in the last few years I question if even the Wiki would have any continuity to it. Plus we have yet to see if it will have the ease of access UOGuide does...

Either way, JC, I thank you for the excellent service to the community you have provided for 10 years, and wish you the best either way.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A terrible loss, yet potentially preventable.
All kidding aside, wikis are incredibly easy to edit. Anyone can do it. I urge everyone to go back and add or fix something you know is needed and show JC we appreciate the site.
Agreed.

I would also suggest folks post their support on the forum.

Hopefully he will leave it up, as read only? if he can and can keep the ad revenue paying the bandwidth.
I can safely tell you the ad revenue won't pay for hosting unless people are clicking on ads and converting ads to hits on a regular basis. Ad revenue is piddly. You have to have tens of thousands of hits a week to make enough money to cover just hosting costs. Then you have domain costs etc. Then maintaining the wiki so it doesn't get hacked...it's a pain.

Let's be honest - can you blame him when he's constantly getting flack from people, but no one wants to help?

A wiki is supposed to be driven by players. Stratics has seen the same thing - people complain and gets flack for out dated information. They are going to a wiki for the same reasons - so players can directly help keep the information updated. But if players aren't helping, what's the point in having one? What's the point in catching flack for not keeping it updated. JC sure isn't being paid for the work he does to keep UOGuide going. I'm not paid for UOHomeDecor or UOForums. Stratics staff aren't getting a monthly stipend either for keeping the site and forums running.

Something to think about.

Also, for those who said they don't know how to update - I propose this. I do. I don't have time to research stuff to update things, but if you send me updated info for UOGuide, I'll update it on your behalf should JC decide to keep it.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's unfortunate it has reached this point. I use this frequently and would be a shame for it to go away.

Regardless, I would refrain from updating anything until he has time to decide if he will keep it or not.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You say anyone can do it... but many of us... are old. I'm sorry but I wouldn't know the first thing about editing a Wiki... I took intro to computer programming in HS... Back some 30+ years ago... scary saying that one... and we had green screen computers with dot matrix printers...

I didn't touch a computer at ALL again until probably 10 years or so later... and then took Lotus1,2,3 and Word Perfect I think in College... which basically taught me how to type... which I already knew... then again went probably another 4 or 5 years without touching a computer (outside of for work) until I finally got my first one around 2000... which when I bought it I bought UO... Second game I bought outside "The Sims" and Baulders Gate... and I played the Sims more than anything else for a long time... Didn't really get hooked on UO till I found the RP community on GLs... I started using Stratics about that time too because the book that came with UO and the two Prima guides that I bought just didn't tell me everything I needed to know. Now while I will gather information most the time if anyone asked and I know a whole lot about things in UO... I honestly don't think there is anywhere I haven't been... anything I haven't really seen (barring weird EM stuff on shards outside GLs)... or any skill I haven't worked 100% free without macroing... Only skill I've never gotten to 120 or GM is Taming... I never went beyond 115... didn't see the need.

So anyway chances of me having clue 1 about wikis... Nil... Heck I can't even navigate them that well.

I can post on forums... and a few other things that I've picked up... but honestly I think a vast majority of folk don't have a clue... lack confidence and/or don't want to bork it... Honestly I'm more afraid I'll bork something up or post something wrong... and likely a bunch are concerned about getting grief over doing or touching anything like that.

And no one wants to see it go... but... I for one hate to see the already waning playerbase get fractured over something so mundane as a Wiki... Does it matter how many there are??? I mean really? If you want information you search for it... and if you can't find it you search somewhere else... and then you ask about...

I'd hate to see a further breakdown of communications and understanding of the game we all love.
You are acting like you need to be some computer wiz to edit a wiki. It takes about as much effort as it does to post on this forum, which you just successfully did.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like JC has about had it and is now leaning toward shutting down UO Guide all together...

Important Status Update About UOGuide's Future - UOGuide Forum

Not relevant to this forum directly, but relevant to the community at large,
He could just... ask someone else to update it, or even just leave it up, as is, unupdated until someone another one supplants it. Silly to let all of that info just go to waste, especially when it's most people's go to site.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are acting like you need to be some computer wiz to edit a wiki. It takes about as much effort as it does to post on this forum, which you just successfully did.
no kidding. I've done (and seen) A LOT of troll editing on Wikipedia, usually sports-related. All it takes is clicking the "edit" button.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The threat to close UO guide is definitely a very tragic situation. There is certainly a lot of speculation floating around that cannot be answered or responded to given our Stratics rules of conduct. Several posts in this thread has tip-toed over that line, so I have cleaned up the thread.

No one can argue that UO guide is an extremely valuable resource that has been worked on over the years by several members of our community. Unfortunately, any decision to remove that resource for everyone is definitely not a decision Stratics has made, nor has there been any formal discussions regarding it between the two websites. Stratics has not had any formal private discussions in any fashion with UO guide in almost a year, and any casual conversations that have been misconstrued in some fashion have already been revealed through other sources.

We were and still are excited to announce a Stratics Wiki that is not meant to undermine or offend any other resource available. Stratics was the original guide for everything UO, and with the wiki system we can bring new life into that department. It is not yet perfect, but it’s a work in process. It is a resource that will now be owned by the community, and not shut down on a whim ever.

To avoid more gas on invisible and unnecessary fires, this thread is being locked, as will any other discussion pertaining to UO guide. I advise everyone who wishes to support UO guide to do so by reaching out to the site owner directly, and offering help. UO guide was, is, and always will be a great source of information for the game we all love. Everyone can agree that the choice to shut it down would impact our entire community. But again, that is not a choice we at Stratics have any control over. This topic is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.