• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many WIKI's do we need for UO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know its all about measuring out pixel d...... stuff
but at what point do they all die because there are so many on the go and people bore of it?

UO.com has its official Wiki (which is horrible to try to navigate!)
UOguide has one (that is falling behind and dosnt go back too far on some stuff)
couple other wiki's most of which are dead due to none use
now stratics is starting one?

seems like we have a lot of wiki's, no?

or are we making a push to try to kill some of the others?
make stratics a one stop shopping?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i know its all about measuring out pixel d...... stuff
but at what point do they all die because there are so many on the go and people bore of it?

UO.com has its official Wiki (which is horrible to try to navigate!)
UOguide has one (that is falling behind and dosnt go back too far on some stuff)
couple other wiki's most of which are dead due to none use
now stratics is starting one?

seems like we have a lot of wiki's, no?

or are we making a push to try to kill some of the others?
make stratics a one stop shopping?
I'm not going to go into full detail, but I can say this. Behind the scenes here at Stratics we've talked about a wiki for close to 2 years now, this was before the one on UO.com was ever mentioned publicly, finding the right wiki system that we'd be able to integrate and was easy to use accounts for the delay. It's intended to be a better way to handle the data that's in the old hunters guide and other similar sections of Stratics going forward. Wiki's are simply more efficient at handling information, being as that was their original design intent and were the logical next evolution. It also accounts as to why there are so many Wiki's the software is tailored to cataloging information, they are good at it, it is what they were designed for.

And of course why not make Stratics a one stop shop? The UO Community certainly isn't growing much, how many sites can number of people playing the Official Servers support? Stratics has always tried to support the game, and desired to do it well this is just a continuation of that effort. There will always be a place for other sites, but that doesn't mean we can't try and do things better, be more through, and be the best at providing the information people want and can use.

EDIT
Oh we're not starting one, we're already about 115,000 pages into building one.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any chance to get UOGuide to merge with UO Stratics, just an idea.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EDIT
Oh we're not starting one, we're already about 115,000 pages into building one.
Ah, 'not built here syndrome', instead of you contributing to UOGuide which is the de-facto UO wiki, you have to build your own.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any chance to get UOGuide to merge with UO Stratics, just an idea.
No. That option was explored with JC the builder during the fundraiser to buy the site last year, and basically we were told it will never happen unless we agreed to make him the sole owner of the site, or the "head board member", something along those lines.

I can't blame him for that honestly, he has spent so many years building UOGuide that essentially losing control over it by giving it to us wouldn't benefit him at all. At the same time though, we weren't going to make anyone the sole owner since that defeated the whole point of the fundraiser, and having a "head board member" who can overrule the rest of the board would make that pointless as well.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah, 'not built here syndrome', instead of you contributing to UOGuide which is the de-facto UO wiki, you have to build your own.
Why doesn't every search engine in the world just contribute to Google instead of making their own websites? Google is the de-facto search engine right? The world is allowed to have more than 1 resource for each thing.

This wiki is different than UOGuide by the way, I've seen it throughout it's time being built. Everyone will see the differences when it is unveiled in a few days.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well there were some ethical issues with UOGuide from our standpoint. Primarily there's not licence governing the information on it, meaning legally JC has full ownership of it, he can use it commercially if he chooses, block others sites from using that information etc. We're releasing everything under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License meaning anyone on any site with a compatible licence will be freely able to reproduce and redistribute this information as long as they comply with the conditions of it. This way the Wiki become not just a resource but an asset for the UO Community and the communities of any other titles we support in the future, as this info can be re-purposed with in the scope of the license freely and continually on any number of sites.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
as long as it has a better lay out than UO.com cause i can never find anything there and no flash adds like uoguide which totally kills my computer then im ok with it.
100 :thumbsup:

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok not going to lie. I have been drinking all night long. I tried to read all the above but gave up. I have had an account since 1999 (beta or was it 98) oh well i forget, I have had the account paid for every month but forgot about it and have not played for the last 2 years. I really am just looking for a game that will waste my time and was looking for the recent additions to the game so i could catch up. Trying to find the information on the most recent updates really sucks. For example i was looking for the new tinkering automation pet, and was unable to find an indepth article about it. this really sucked. I had to put together information from at least 3 sites to figure out about half of what I needed to know. Just saying that I love UO and trying to come back after a long time away sucks trying to catch up without a dedicated place to find out the changes.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The official wiki has lots of VERY good content to it. The very base layout of it is bit unfortunate though. Makes it look less than it is.

We could use a wiki about UO wikis soon. And preferably a wiki outlining wikis of different wikis listing UO wikis.
Except this isn't just a UO Wiki, if you play and are all willing to commit to building content for another MMORPG, just ask, I'll add a namespace to the Wiki so you can do so without the information getting mixed between games, and you'll get the benefit of having us help protect that information from vandalism. Out the gate the Wiki is setup for 3 titles, Ultima Online, Shroud of the Avatar, and Shards Online, though currently there is only content for UO. Games there is a measure of interest in the community as is, adding other titles is simple and something that for now at least is on the table.

The official wiki has lots of VERY good content to it. The very base layout of it is bit unfortunate though. Makes it look less than it is.

We could use a wiki about UO wikis soon. And preferably a wiki outlining wikis of different wikis listing UO wikis.
I'm not going to lie to you, this wiki isn't perfect. There's still a lot of work to be done and a lot of info that's incomplete or missing, but there is a substantial amount of information already in place that folks can make use of, so we're opening it earlier rather than spending many months more polishing it up and striving for completion. Right now the majority of the old hunters guide is imported, Most of the Atlas has been converted, added is a Database for Hues, Dyes, and one for Rares. Those of you who maintain guides such as those in the Craftsman's Data Chest can probably expect to be asked to port those over or if you mind us porting it over to the wiki where they'll be easier to maintain etc.

The absolute best part of this whole project is, you don't need a separate login, you're Forum account will handle that, log in here, and you're logged into the Wiki. An upcoming project, that's already in the works is a front page for Stratics, we plan for it to be single sign in as well.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best place for a quick reference is UOguide, this game is too long in the tooth to expand into another "info" site and people who use UOguide will continue to go it as its the norm place to go.
Boggles my mind to think there is people here are anti Jcbuilder and UOguide and kept him banned. its players like him running a dedicate site for UO that keeps this game ticking along.

The quicker the Dev team gets its own forum the better.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
best place for a quick reference is UOguide, this game is too long in the tooth to expand into another "info" site and people who use UOguide will continue to go it as its the norm place to go.
Boggles my mind to think there is people here are anti Jcbuilder and UOguide and kept him banned. its players like him running a dedicate site for UO that keeps this game ticking along.

I'm actually looking forward to them having their own forums as well. It'll provide us an opportunity to decide if we need to adjust what is and isn't acceptable here at Stratics.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm actually looking forward to them having their own forums as well. It'll provide us an opportunity to decide if we need to adjust what is and isn't acceptable here at Stratics.
just the right amount of passive aggressive for a Sunday morning slow burn.
nicely played sir, nicely played!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

UOGuide and Stratics BOTH provide important information to the UO community and if UO does run its own forums JC would have been banned and his accounts would have been at risk also because the old forums tied both together and lets not talk about UOForums not allowing new people unless you know somebody, good thing Stratics isn't that way. I like the idea of Stratics doing a Wiki as the more info out there the better it is for all UO Players and who knows maybe some of the other games supported by Stratics may get UO some needed notice. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Stratics STARTED as the original wiki for Ultima Online. The "old" Stratics page still exists, and as noted, has over 100K+ pages of content.

One of the main reasons for the "new" wiki, was to convert these "old" Stratics pages into a newer and more usable form for not only members of the forums, but anyone who wishes to learn more about Ultima Online.

The UOGuide wiki, UO.com wiki, and this wiki will all have their differences. Some will inevitably do things better than others. However, that is not a reason for us not to do this. Converting the "old" Startics content is an important task toward making this website more than just about the forums.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOGuide and Stratics BOTH provide important information to the UO community and if UO does run its own forums JC would have been banned and his accounts would have been at risk also because the old forums tied both together and lets not talk about UOForums not allowing new people unless you know somebody, good thing Stratics isn't that way. I like the idea of Stratics doing a Wiki as the more info out there the better it is for all UO Players and who knows maybe some of the other games supported by Stratics may get UO some needed notice. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS.
comparing UO's own forums and how they will handle things to JC VS Stratics is not the same thing, especially on how this has come about, your point is moot on that respect.

it comes down to stratics pulling another way to create revenue, because UO's own forum will create a lot less traffic and more importantly revenue to here and UOguide.

why don't they unban JC?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Stratics STARTED as the original wiki for Ultima Online. The "old" Stratics page still exists, and as noted, has over 100K+ pages of content.

One of the main reasons for the "new" wiki, was to convert these "old" Stratics pages into a newer and more usable form for not only members of the forums, but anyone who wishes to learn more about Ultima Online.

The UOGuide wiki, UO.com wiki, and this wiki will all have their differences. Some will inevitably do things better than others. However, that is not a reason for us not to do this. Converting the "old" Startics content is an important task toward making this website more than just about the forums.
Sorta, actually Stratics started before there were Wiki's but that's a technicality. By 100k+ pages, I meant currently in the new wiki it's at 115,458 pages total.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
comparing UO's own forums and how they will handle things to JC VS Stratics is not the same thing, especially on how this has come about, your point is moot on that respect.

it comes down to stratics pulling another way to create revenue, because UO's own forum will create a lot less traffic and more importantly revenue to here and UOguide.

why don't they unban JC?
So you know nothing about the old UO Forums and why UOStratics went over so big. I will give you a hint, it is because we were able to speak more freely here without putting our UO Accounts at risk and believe me if they run the new forums like the old ones Stratics has NOTHING to fear. I also find it very interesting that anything posted here and UO.COM is useable by anyone but UOGuides requires you to get permission and most of their stuff came from UO.COM and UOStratics to begin with, now aint that funny.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sorta, actually Stratics started before there were Wiki's but that's a technicality. By 100k+ pages, I meant currently in the new wiki it's at 115,458 pages total.
Fair point - whether we want to call it a Wiki, a resource site, or another moniker... Stratics was one of the first true Strategy & Statistics sites on the internet for any video game / computer game. It was a trend setter in it's hey-dey.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
why don't they unban JC?
Typically when someone gets a permanent ban, they aren't unbanned. That's all I'll say about it, if you want to keep questioning moderator actions please take a moment to review our RoC first. Sepcifically the item that states
  • You may not openly discuss warnings, thread locks, or bans publicly without the consent of a member of the Stratics Leadership Team.
Since you haven't requested consent and we've not granted it, I'd recommend leaving that course of discussion alone.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Fair point - whether we want to call it a Wiki, a resource site, or another moniker... Stratics was one of the first true Strategy & Statistics sites on the internet for any video game / computer game. It was a trend setter in it's hey-dey.
October 21st will be 19 years

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally find it interesting that I made a minor edit to a UOGuide wiki some years back, and provided a pic of the library talisman (my own) that was the reason for the changes - and since then both the picture and the changes have disappeared, and the incorrect info reinstated.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you know nothing about the old UO Forums and why UOStratics went over so big. I will give you a hint, it is because we were able to speak more freely here without putting our UO Accounts at risk and believe me if they run the new forums like the old ones Stratics has NOTHING to fear. I also find it very interesting that anything posted here and UO.COM is useable by anyone but UOGuides requires you to get permission and most of their stuff came from UO.COM and UOStratics to begin with, now aint that funny.
i guess placing a spin on UO forums and how Stratics became to be would deflect on JC vs Stratics , but again is a moot point.

Nexus now has thrown her toys out of the pram.

Its a shame "someone" can not come here and put there view point on it, I'm sure that this unspeakable person who has contributed a lot towards UO would have a few things to say

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i guess placing a spin on UO forums and how Stratics became to be would deflect on JC vs Stratics , but again is a moot point.

Nexus now has thrown her toys out of the pram.

Its a shame "someone" can not come here and put there view point on it, I'm sure that this unspeakable person who has contributed a lot towards UO would have a few things to say
:next: CLUELESS

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
nonononono i get your point i see where you are coming from and you are correct on it on your facts.

I'm talking about JC and UOguide with stratics and how it was delt with and continues to be
You heard one side of a story and you neglect to take into account what was posted on UOFourms and yet you say it was all Stratics fault. Please take off the ROSE COLORED GLASSES. Maybe Stratics could have done things a little different but that does not excuse what JC did to Stratics on another web site period. I can state this with almost %99.9 that JC had he done this to UO.COM back in the day could have easly lost his UO Accounts. Understand that the MODS on the old UO forums were in fact the DEVs of UO and a simple I disagree with you got a friend 3 day off.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
taken from stratics TOS:

All content included as part of the Service, such as text, graphics, logos, images, as well as the compilation thereof, and any software used on the Site, is the property of Stratics or its suppliers and protected by copyright and other laws that protect intellectual property and proprietary rights. You agree to observe and abide by all copyright and other proprietary notices, legends or other restrictions contained in any such content and will not make any changes thereto.

You will not modify, publish, transmit, reverse engineer, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit any of the content, in whole or in part, found on the Site. Stratics content is not for resale. Your use of the Site does not entitle you to make any unauthorized use of any protected content, and in particular you will not delete or alter any proprietary rights or attribution notices in any content. You will use protected content solely for your personal use, and will make no other use of the content without the express written permission of Stratics and the copyright owner. You agree that you do not acquire any ownership rights in any protected content. We do not grant you any licenses, express or implied, to the intellectual property of Stratics or our licensors except as expressly authorized by these Terms.

how is this different than the site protections on UOguide?

everything on stratics is copywrited too and your not allowed to use it for other sites, just like UO guide.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Leaving the Mod actions aside, I'll answer this. Not 1 person who is staff on this site makes a single penny from it. Every bit of revenue that's come in since we took oversight from Ron Bron back in January has gone into anyone's pocket. Everything, and I do mean everything has either been spent on maintaining the licenses for software, purchasing prizes for the Contests Riyana has been running, etc. or is sitting nice and secure in a business account for a rainy day.

Would we like to see the site making more money? Sure of course we would. It would allow us to do more things, acquire and give out better prizes for contests etc. But I can assure you as none of us is benefiting financially in any way from Stratics, our primary concern isn't increasing revenue, but we'll accept it if it is a side effect of what we're doing.

What is a driving factor is we crowd funded the purchase of Stratics, so we want to make it so the community has access to the tools necessary to engage on the site on a more personal level. This was a repeated complaint we received that the community had information they wanted to contribute to Stratics and they felt their ability to do so. As a matter of fact if you go back to December of look at discussions during the crowd funding campaign, you'll see every reason I've given falls directly in line as to why we are doing this. That linked statement was before this fictitious notion of JC vs Stratics as you put it arose, honestly we don't care what happens with UOGuide, we're not out with the goal to compete with it, drive it out of operation or any other such thing. We stated some goals during the time of the crowd funding campaign and promised to try and accomplish those goals and that is simply what we are doing and doing so in the manner that seems most maintainable and accessible for the Stratics Community.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
taken from stratics TOS:

All content included as part of the Service, such as text, graphics, logos, images, as well as the compilation thereof, and any software used on the Site, is the property of Stratics or its suppliers and protected by copyright and other laws that protect intellectual property and proprietary rights. You agree to observe and abide by all copyright and other proprietary notices, legends or other restrictions contained in any such content and will not make any changes thereto.

You will not modify, publish, transmit, reverse engineer, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit any of the content, in whole or in part, found on the Site. Stratics content is not for resale. Your use of the Site does not entitle you to make any unauthorized use of any protected content, and in particular you will not delete or alter any proprietary rights or attribution notices in any content. You will use protected content solely for your personal use, and will make no other use of the content without the express written permission of Stratics and the copyright owner. You agree that you do not acquire any ownership rights in any protected content. We do not grant you any licenses, express or implied, to the intellectual property of Stratics or our licensors except as expressly authorized by these Terms.

how is this different than the site protections on UOguide?
.You either missed or selectively ignored this part

Stratics does not claim ownership of the materials you provide to www.stratics.com (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input or submit to any Stratics Site or our associated services (collectively "Submissions"). However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting your Submission you are granting Stratics, our affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses including, without limitation, the rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your Submission; and to publish your name in connection with your Submission.
The clause you quoted only covers "Stratics" as in the styling of the forums, our logo, etc. basically anything excepting user contributed content.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.You either missed or selectively ignored this part

The clause you quoted only covers "Stratics" as in the styling of the forums, our logo, etc. basically anything excepting user contributed content.
if thats the case, whats to prevent anyone from just copying the new stratics wiki and using it for their own website? it really doesnt concern me either way, but just doest seem very smart.

thats the reason UO guide has protections. because he didnt want anyone to be able to legally mirrior his site. Its over 6,000 pages and 10 years of work.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
if thats the case, whats to prevent anyone from just copying the new stratics wiki and using it for their own website? it really doesnt concern me either way, but just doest seem very smart.

thats the reason UO guide has protections. because he didn't want anyone to be able to legally mirrior his site. Its over 6,000 pages and 10 years of work.
There's nothing to prevent it, as long as their site has a compatible license. The beauty of it is, if they have a compatible license we'll be free to copy any information we're missing to ours. The idea is behind the open sharing of info, not controlling the flow of it. If a site copies us without a compatible licence and we find it, we'll have the option of following the DMCA request procedure to have it removed or other action taken against the offending site.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im not the type of person to want to put in tons of tons of work only to have someone else profit off of it, but like i said not my webite so really doesnt matter to me, other than being less likely to put any substantial effort into something that can just be stolen and used on one of the top 10 google searches we arent allowed to talk about here.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
im not the type of person to want to put in tons of tons of work only to have someone else profit off of it, but like i said not my webite so really doesnt matter to me, other than being less likely to put any substantial effort into something that can just be stolen and used on one of the top 10 google searches we arent allowed to talk about here.
The licence restricts usage for commercial purposes, in other words, if you your site is serves the purpose of putting money in your pocket, beyond what is considered reasonable for the time you put in on it, copying the info is off limits.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The licence restricts usage for commercial purposes, in other words, if you your site is serves the purpose of putting money in your pocket, beyond what is considered reasonable for the time you put in on it, copying the info is off limits.
just seems like a mess waiting to happen. yeah, stratics could get into legal arguements all it wants, but that also all costs $$. seems like a technicality that isnt really enforceable.

anyway good luck with the wiki it will be interesting to see what happens with it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
just seems like a mess waiting to happen. yeah, stratics could get into legal arguements all it wants, but that also all costs $$. seems like a technicality that isnt really enforceable.

anyway good luck with the wiki it will be interesting to see what happens with it.
Actually, I think you and others will find the rares database quite useful. I'm not sure of the total entries in it, but I do know it's in excess of 11,000 pages.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Forty two

That's 42[sup]3[/sup]

Also the number of days in 202 years, 10 months and 2 days, the combined ages of the 2 Queens in Lewis Carrols Through the Looking Glass.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well there were some ethical issues with UOGuide from our standpoint. Primarily there's not licence governing the information on it, meaning legally JC has full ownership of it, he can use it commercially if he chooses, block others sites from using that information etc. We're releasing everything under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License meaning anyone on any site with a compatible licence will be freely able to reproduce and redistribute this information as long as they comply with the conditions of it. This way the Wiki become not just a resource but an asset for the UO Community and the communities of any other titles we support in the future, as this info can be re-purposed with in the scope of the license freely and continually on any number of sites.
No. That option was explored with JC the builder during the fundraiser to buy the site last year, and basically we were told it will never happen unless we agreed to make him the sole owner of the site, or the "head board member", something along those lines.

I can't blame him for that honestly, he has spent so many years building UOGuide that essentially losing control over it by giving it to us wouldn't benefit him at all. At the same time though, we weren't going to make anyone the sole owner since that defeated the whole point of the fundraiser, and having a "head board member" who can overrule the rest of the board would make that pointless as well.
Look. I have sat here and watched a discussion take place that involves the bringing up of things that happened behind closed doors nearly 10 months ago.

I am not going to go into any details about a 10 month old voice conversation, however I will make a few comments about this current discussion happening here,

This discussion has included both accurate and inaccurate "recollections" of private meetings and generalizations about things that were said, agreed upon or even disagreed upon. If it would have been the other party talking this openly about this series of events, it goes without a shadow of a doubt that the staff would take exception to this information being discussed.

Additionally there has been the use of wording such as "ethical issues" in regards to a person or group of persons or their property which leaves open ended implications. Given that the parties on the receiving end of these comments cannot defend themselves or simply even reply to the conversation, is it necessary for the Stratics staff to drag their name(s) through the dirt or at the minimum, make subtle jabs at their moral/ ethical stance as opposed to simply keeping this thread about the wiki?

Taken from the Stratics RoC:

• Troll or otherwise badger, or abuse, other users of Stratics (including staff members), other posters, visitors, and VIPs from development teams.
    • Trolling is defined as: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
also-

• Make accusations or publicly air disputes or grievances. Such public accusations can not be resolved on the forums and serve only to stir animosity, which negatively impacts the community as a whole.
    • You may not make public accusations of misconduct against or about any other user of Stratics, staff members, EMs, other players, developers, or guilds.
and-

• You may not post or distribute chat logs or the contents of private conversations/IM threads/SMS messages unless the participants of those conversations have given their express consent for you to do so.

Member(s) of the Stratics Board have used this thread to backhandedly accuse individuals of misconduct and apparently electing to ignore their own RoC violations committed by a board member. In addition to that, they are sharing private correspondence without seeking the consent of all parties. It's both unprofessional and counter productive to the goal of building a strong UO community. You don't get to claim this website to be community owned and then simply ignore your own rule-set. If I am wrong on this, at least come out and say that Stratics is not community owned.

I suggest we stick to the topic of the wiki as that was what the OP had posted about and leaving any subtle, passive-aggressive attacks/implications of other person(s) out of it, especially since they are not permitted to defend themselves. It's not fair and it's flat out bad form.

Last edited:

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You mean disassociate yourselves from being the 'approved UO forums' and turn into an RMT site? Yea, sounds great!

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do people actually read the Stratics game content? I go strait to the forums, the rest of the site looks like ancient history. I use UOGuide for everything else.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do people actually read the Stratics game content? I go strait to the forums, the rest of the site looks like ancient history. I use UOGuide for everything else.
There are a ton of skill guides and the hunters guide is used also. You would be surprised at all the stuff there is on the old pages that are still used. I am looking forward to all that stuff being easily accessible for others to use.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually come to stratics first when I am searching for info. Sometimes it take a bit of time and I find it, sometimes I don't. I like UOGuide a lot and go there for things I know are there. (if that made sense) so I don't have to have it written down somewhere. I try to be informed as I can for my guildmates and anyone else who may ask a question in game because I don't want someone getting frustrated with something simple. I don't even go to UO.com because seriously I didn't even know they had a wiki.

I myself try to send people to uoguide because to me it is a very simple site with information in an easy and well thought layout. I am saddened to think that UOGuide will no longer be. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.