• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's an activity that makes decent gold over time without relying on extreme low-odds drops?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Farming imbuing ingredients used to be a thing, but that market seemed pretty much flooded and beaten to death ages ago. To my surprise the kotl stuff didn't lose all value after 2 weeks, but that's going away in the next publish anyway. I'd like to know what people do that...

A) Can generate reasonable amounts of money.

B) Doesn't rely on hoping you get a single ultra-rare drop that makes up for weeks/months/years of farming and coming away empty-handed.

Something someone pointed out to me recently is that pretty much every activity in the game feels like either a total waste of time or a crapshoot with such low odds of winning the lottery that it gets discouraging after the umpteen billionth boss run with nothing to show for it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It isn't treasure hunting, that's for sure LOL. Not anymore anyway.

I do fairly well with the Ilshenar champ spawns, just run the first couple of levels for the pinks, leave, and put them on a vendor. The bosses usually dont drop anything worthwhile anymore since nothing has been added to them, I mean, after a few years you cant sell the same old tired swamp tiles and mess like that. Just use area damage weapon and go crazy with it. Sometimes ya get 4-5 pinks, sometimes none. Just the name of the game nowdays tho.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Farming imbuing ingredients used to be a thing, but that market seemed pretty much flooded and beaten to death ages ago. To my surprise the kotl stuff didn't lose all value after 2 weeks, but that's going away in the next publish anyway. I'd like to know what people do that...

B) Doesn't rely on hoping you get a single ultra-rare drop that makes up for weeks/months/years of farming and coming away empty-handed.

Something someone pointed out to me recently is that pretty much every activity in the game feels like either a total waste of time or a crapshoot with such low odds of winning the lottery that it gets discouraging after the umpteen billionth boss run with nothing to show for it.
I think that depends on a couple things... what shard you are on and what you consider "reasonable" amounts of money.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We're on Atlantic, and I think I'll deliberately leave the defintion of "reasonable" vague. I'm curious what other people consider reasonable and how they make it.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

There's not much for farming as far as resources.

These days the money is in champs and peerless.

Myself I do baracoon, navrey, lady m.

Exodus and the despise thingy can be okay but I generally don't do them.

dlo88

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shadow guard bosses and exodus seem to be the main things people do these days. Shadow guard almost always gets you some decent legendary pieces plus a chance at one of the better artifact drops in the game. Exodus seems to drop more Melee oriented legendary pieces with a chance at the 5 stat scrolls which are always useful.

Most other things in game are not very efficient in terms of making money anymore.

Doing bids for powder of Fort maybe or crafting supplies for pvpers(potions, trapped boxes etc) might be worth trying out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shadow guard bosses and exodus seem to be the main things people do these days. Shadow guard almost always gets you some decent legendary pieces plus a chance at one of the better artifact drops in the game. Exodus seems to drop more Melee oriented legendary pieces with a chance at the 5 stat scrolls which are always useful.

Most other things in game are not very efficient in terms of making money anymore.

Doing bids for powder of Fort maybe or crafting supplies for pvpers(potions, trapped boxes etc) might be worth trying out.
Getting Keys for a decent group to do Exodus though is tedious.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sometimes I farm Whetstones from Shame in Fel. Some people might be afraid to go to Fel to farm, but Shame is almost always empty. Kill 60 Wind Elementals and collect 60 Shame Crystals. Summon guardians and collect your Whetstone. Takes about an hour. I'm sure there are people who can do it much faster. Whetstones sell for about 7-8 mil each. Might not be big money for some, but the Whetstone is guaranteed if done in Fel.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes I farm Whetstones from Shame in Fel. Some people might be afraid to go to Fel to farm, but Shame is almost always empty. Kill 60 Wind Elementals and collect 60 Shame Crystals. Summon guardians and collect your Whetstone. Takes about an hour. I'm sure there are people who can do it much faster. Whetstones sell for about 7-8 mil each. Might not be big money for some, but the Whetstone is guaranteed if done in Fel.
So I should probably use my 2k shame crystals is what your sayin?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Exodus can be done quickly and easily by a a pair of cross healing bushido paladins, so it cuts out the key gathering a fair bit if you do this that way.
Andros at Tram Despise is a boring, dragged out fight, but the despicable quivers that drop there from time to time tend to sell well, and he and his wisps can drop legendary artifacts.
The wisp also can drop Tram Despise artifacts, so killing them is well worth it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Exodus and the Roof encounter. The normal loot that drops is high end and the roof artifacts will pull a pretty steady price.

If on Atlantic, and in need of a group to do roof, you can tag along with some of the UWF folks. Same if you wanted to two man the Exodus encounter sometime with me.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I'm looking to make steady gold I go to dark guardians first. Take 4 packys with me. Fill them with level 1-3 maps and BOS the gold and bones. You should be able to get 10 to spawn at once. In 1-2 minutes you get 7-8k gold 10 level 1-3 tmaps (I just dump for points) and 300 daemon bones.

In an hour you have made 200-250k gold 300 tmaps and 9k daemon bones. Now hit the bone daemon 9xs for 9 gold skulls. Wear luck for bone daemon and you will get good artifacts. Also make sure to check dark guardians loot for desirable 1-2 mod pieces. Sell gold skulls at 20k a pop.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exodus can be done quickly and easily by a a pair of cross healing bushido paladins, so it cuts out the key gathering a fair bit if you do this that way.
Andros at Tram Despise is a boring, dragged out fight, but the despicable quivers that drop there from time to time tend to sell well, and he and his wisps can drop legendary artifacts.
The wisp also can drop Tram Despise artifacts, so killing them is well worth it.
I did Despise dozens of times and have NEVER gotten a drop... I gave that up LONG time ago.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did Despise dozens of times and have NEVER gotten a drop... I gave that up LONG time ago.
There was this guy with his 3 or 4 accounts basically monopolizing despise on Atlantic for a while. His vendor also looked pretty decent but I guess he got bored farming the same stuff over and over. Not sure what the quivers go for now.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I tend to get a drop every 3 or so there, but I always make a point to kill his wisps when I am fighting him.
It is a long, dragged out, boring fight, but quivers... I like those quivers.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I gotta admit, I've never even seen Shadowguard. I heard a bunch of crap about how many hours it takes and needing a group and a bunch of random "LOOK WE ADDED EXTRA STEPS TO SHOW WE'RE REAL GAME DESIGNERS" makework and tuned it out early on.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tuned it out early on.
I still keep wondering how not a single person could have noticed that half the level is not visible while in there. Or they did and just couldn't be arsed. Anyway, I just like to keep posting that video every couple of months.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I finally gave up and gave it a try. I went on my archer, did fairly well up till the roof...then all I can do is fight sidespawn they throw out when you hit them with direct attacks...Totally sux. Wish someone woulda told me it was a tamers encounter :( Altho I am sure some can do it and probably solo it all, that much work just aint my idea of fun...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very first time I did Tram Despise, I got a Despicable Quiver, fire resist.

I finally gave up and gave it a try. I went on my archer, did fairly well up till the roof...then all I can do is fight sidespawn they throw out when you hit them with direct attacks...Totally sux. Wish someone woulda told me it was a tamers encounter :( Altho I am sure some can do it and probably solo it all, that much work just aint my idea of fun...
I can do half of it solo on my tamer, with my personal best for a 2 man under 20 minutes, I believe. In the past, I've done 2 person (technically 3, other guy dual clienting) and it takes us about 30 minutes for the roof with 2 tamers/a bard. But I've largely given up on doing it, because I barely get ANYTHING from it (whether backpack or loot drop.)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very first time I did Tram Despise, I got a Despicable Quiver, fire resist.

I can do half of it solo on my tamer, with my personal best for a 2 man under 20 minutes, I believe. In the past, I've done 2 person (technically 3, other guy dual clienting) and it takes us about 30 minutes for the roof with 2 tamers/a bard. But I've largely given up on doing it, because I barely get ANYTHING from it (whether backpack or loot drop.)
there ya go...tamers lol. Yeah I might party up with a group of tamers just to go and watch and take a chance on a drop. But it isn't something I will ever do again, since I am one of the few UO players (evidently) who doesnt have a tamer :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not guaranteed on Siege, the devs made sure of it. Kill 60 wind elementals, and hope that you get 5 shame crystals, so you can then kill another 720..which is why whetstones are so hard to find here.