• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Legends Meet and Greet Chat Log

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna: we are doing the pet revamp
Mesanna: the first of next year
Mesanna: so stay tuned
Mesanna: all pets 2 slots and up
Mesanna: will be trainable to a 5 slot pet
So no uber rabbit is what I'm reading here... Sad.

All I wanted was a Dread Walrus. :( Why I no can have???

Joking about uber walruses aside (I'm not joking) why no one slot pets? If they all train up to 5, what difference does it make? Wouldn't the animal just be the skin for the GD stats? Wolves and bears and Panthers really seem like they would be VERY awesome for RP purposes if they could actually be trained up to being useful.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The idea that I will be able to replace my not so cute dragon turtle with a most adorable and cute spider pleases me.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea that I will be able to replace my not so cute dragon turtle with a most adorable and cute spider pleases me.
The only spider you could replace them with are wolf spiders, sadly. Everything else is one slot, and thus cannot be upgraded. :/ Spiders seem like another obvious RP pet that would be a great target for upgrading.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well my only thoughts on that about the pet revamp is then that pets that are already 4 slots and worthless sound like they will continue to be worthless 4 slot pets. ie the Reptalon and CuSidhe etc...

Though training up my dread mare to a 4 slot might be nice...

and to add a but... so then what is the point though if you train something like Fire Steed up to a 4 slot then it like so many others lose the "pack" instinct that made them cool.. so no more being in a pack means that the benefit of raising it to 4 slots is almost negated by the loss of being able to pair them... kinda a trade off if you ask me.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like the premise of the pet revamp, however I hope that the devs would be willing to review some of the animals that are considered 1 slot, whose design hasn't changed, as far as I know, since the start of the game. There are several animals that I have little doubt players would be very interested in being able to use: wolves, dire wolves, gorillas, brown bears, grizzly bears, for example are animals which arguably should or could be much stronger given their nature.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like the premise of the pet revamp, however I hope that the devs would be willing to review some of the animals that are considered 1 slot, whose design hasn't changed, as far as I know, since the start of the game. There are several animals that I have little doubt players would be very interested in being able to use: wolves, dire wolves, gorillas, brown bears, grizzly bears, for example are animals which arguably should or could be much stronger given their nature.
Very much so. I am more interested in these than the fancy ones, myself.

...you forgot walruses...

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like that they are adding new rewards for BODs, but not sure I'm excited about adding another BOD system for Tinkering, Carpentry and Fletching.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No pond, but I do seem to remember a strange lady in a blue robe giving blackthorn a sword at his coronation at the 15th anniversary meetup.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like the idea of progressive pet training up to 5 slots, Snow Flake my old WW that has not been out of the stable in forever might actually be useful again! Always made kind of sad that WWs were one of, if not the best pets in the game and relegated to nearly worthless :( Reptalons could use some serious buffing as is would hate to waste time making one a 5 slot and it still be worthless as teats on a boar. Kind of get from this that nightmares are going to be trainable to equal of dreadmares. Really excited about the prospect of Snow Flake e being a equal to a GD though!!! Just hope they keep each pets unique abilities instead of having everything be trained up to a cookie cutter replica of a GD that looks like a WW or a Nightmare.

Smelting mining tally really not that impressive since no one mines for Valorite, verite or Ag now days. You mine merch ships for those and Heartwood and blood wood :) unrandomize wood and ore and people might actually start mining and lumberjacking again............. other than the scripters.

Do we really need another set of BOD systems that no one really likes, but does just for the kits and hammers.............. That leaves you bored to death after filling enough to maybe get what you need? I would rather the whole bod system be eliminated and a turn in system be put in place. Turn in ore, ignots, weapons, armor and get points that can be spent on the runics, and other rewards. Even turn in gold, since the runics get burned through could be a nice gold sink as well.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very much so. I am more interested in these than the fancy ones, myself.

...you forgot walruses...
Yes we without question need 5 slot walruses!!! It is game breaking to not have them!!!!!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sheesh people, can't some animals in the game stay just that. Animals, not fighting machines. =/

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna also said we will not be seeing the return of Dread Mares or Bane Dragons.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well my only thoughts on that about the pet revamp is then that pets that are already 4 slots and worthless sound like they will continue to be worthless 4 slot pets. ie the Reptalon and CuSidhe etc...

Though training up my dread mare to a 4 slot might be nice...

and to add a but... so then what is the point though if you train something like Fire Steed up to a 4 slot then it like so many others lose the "pack" instinct that made them cool.. so no more being in a pack means that the benefit of raising it to 4 slots is almost negated by the loss of being able to pair them... kinda a trade off if you ask me.
you appear to have misread it MalagAste, you can train them up to 5 slots. see below

Mesanna: all pets 2 slots and up
Mesanna: will be trainable to a 5 slot pet

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nightmares & Dreads would essentially be the same thing once a nightmare is leveled to a 4 slot pet*, the only differences might be a slight bit in resistances (if it doesn't scale like it should) and of course the Dread would be able to use the "Trick" feature.

There's no substitute for a Bane Dragon though, seeing as Swamp Dragons are single follower pets, they will be incapable of becoming 4-5 slot pets...
It's still early yet though, that whole system could still see drastic changes.

*I wonder if you could say, level a 2 slot pet to a 3 or 4 slot pet and lock it, or would it only be possible to go from 2-5 3-5 4-5?

Curious as to how the Scaling of pets + follower slots would work. It sounds interesting.

Them No-dachi tamers though... OP!

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don`t forget there some odd ball pets to. The lesser Hiryu primarily used by Samurai. Then there are two slot vollums from a crystal that require no taming to command.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...and Bouras !

Also, wonder if this would effect any Tinkered pets.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people were not present at the Events that allowed access to them. It would of been nice to have a second chance to get these tamable s.
Yea but Mesanna rather dodges this before receiving angry mails from her friends crying about not being able to sell their stuff for hundreds of dollars. Just like the anniversary robe.

And then everybody here is very optimistic that those pets trained to 5 slots will be useful. Just like the week before people realized dragon turtles are a total waste.

I would like to see them not screw it up, but past experience... ah nevermind.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yea but Mesanna rather dodges this before receiving angry mails from her friends crying about not being able to sell their stuff for hundreds of dollars. Just like the anniversary robe.

And then everybody here is very optimistic that those pets trained to 5 slots will be useful. Just like the week before people realized dragon turtles are a total waste.

I would like to see them not screw it up, but past experience... ah nevermind.
If you knew even 1% of the stuff you think you know, it would be a different story.

I was one of the people angry about the robe. The only way my personal robe will EVER be sold would be if it is taken from my IDOC house after I die.

I'm still waiting for that week about the dragon turtles to come to my shard, as they seem to be the preferred pet for non-event fights.

Got any more lack of clues to share?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you appear to have misread it MalagAste, you can train them up to 5 slots. see below
Doesn't matter what is the point of having a 5 slot Fire Steed? It can't have the Pack Instinct then. And it's the stuff that they do when paired that used to make them ok pets.

The problem with a lot of pets these days is that MOBs are now designed to thwart the average sampire... Pets don't even compare to a sampire or any player using specials and EoO and such... THAT is the problem with pets. So training a pet up to more slots really isn't what is needed. You lose something... What they need is to not be so drastically nerfed the second you tame them in the first place... and for them to be able to have jewelery or some such to give them things like we have. Like being able to use something on your pet to help it target demons, or Elementals... etc...

Why train a pet which has pack instinct up to something that you can only have 1 of and you lose the pack instinct? And honestly since they DEVs are unwilling to see that Dread Mares are hands down the better pet over a nightmare I don't care how many slots you train that up to it'll NEVER compare to the Dread. They fail to see that many of the old pets just lack what it takes. Raising their HP and such won't help the fact that they just don't do the right damage, the right spell combo's or the right anything....

Lets take the Reptalon for instance... this pet has been nerfed to the point that it's just a joke .... and it's 4 slots already.... training it up one more slot isn't going to make it no longer suck. It's still going to suck because it's slow... doesn't do anything great... and is unfunctional.... just like removing the Raptors ability to summon up 2 more of itself..... making it an actual viable pet option.... with that ability nerfed it's utterly useless. I don't care how many slots it has. Are we going to see a reptalon or a raptor at 5 slots be able to take the damage a Greater Dragon does??? I highly doubt it.. and even if they did..... they still will suck.

What makes the GD the all around pet of choice is that it doesn't die when a mob breaths on it. 900 HP and resists in the 60's+ that's what makes it viable.... And the occasional chance your GD does actual damage above the 35 once in awhile it gets some good hits but for the most part it's a meat shield... and Tank. Many folk think that the GD does good damage but any tamer will tell you the best numbers to come off damage from a greater are usually about 35. Sometimes if something is weak to fire it might do more but for the most part it's not the high damage output that folk think... my Archer can do 10x the damage hit after hit that a GD ever will do. And damage is king.

The only reason Tamers are still viable and needed is the meat shield that the GD is. Because if you aren't a sampire you can't toe to toe most mobs anymore. See how long you last against things like Scalis without a GD or something to take the heat. If you aren't a Sampire or something try going toe to toe against any of the big mobs.

I'd love to use pets other than the GD... but the truth of the matter is that without the resists and HP and such of the GD most pets aren't going to be any good even at 5 slots.

I will enjoy seeing what a Wolf Spider is like as a 5 slot pet... but honestly... his resists aren't that great. A 5 Slot Bake might be something to see as well... since it lacks a slayer. A spider can still be trumped with a slayer which is something that keeps the GD in check. Most folk can carry a Dragon Slayer and put that down without too much trouble. A 5 slot Rune Beetle might be something interesting to see as well since most tamers hardly use it anymore as a majority of new mobs can take them out in about 2 seconds. You can't heal them fast enough to keep them alive against most things. If they had the resist and HP to actually stay alive more than 2 seconds they might be a worthwhile pet again.

But the 4 slot pets have no hope. Training them up 1 slot isn't going to fix their brokenness. The Hiryu without spells is a lame pet... and without the HP to survive it isn't even in the running to be a good pet again, The Skree was never a 4 slot worthy pet... the Reptalon will never be good either... And the Cu is just too slow ... even at 125 dex it's extremely slow. By the time it gets off another decent attack whatever it was fighting is healed.

The problem with most things lies with PvP. If you up a pets performance to be in line with current PvM then it's overpowered in PvP. But if you nerf them enough to keep them from being overpowerful in PvP then you make them useless in PvM...

Like I said what pets need is a way to give them some bonuses in PvM.... slayer abilities you can put on and switch out would be better. IMO. Maybe that's part of the Revamp maybe not... but I'd like to be able to feed my pet powerscrolls and raise their abilities over 100... I'd like to be able to give them a stat scroll and raise their stats up a bit too... maybe the CuSidhe won't be as slow at 150 dex.

Just saying.

Raising them up to 5 slots isn't the best answer or solution to making pets viable.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, i think the idea was to give us GD's without the GD graphic. hopefully you could leave the pet alone, or choose to train it up to level 5. personally i'd train a white wyrm to level 5 and be done with it. Oh and a Walrus.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, i think the idea was to give us GD's without the GD graphic. hopefully you could leave the pet alone, or choose to train it up to level 5. personally i'd train a white wyrm to level 5 and be done with it. Oh and a Walrus.
Walrus is a 1 slot pet... I think she said you'll only be able to train up 2 slot or above pets.

So there is that too. But I agree... Sadly I won't see my Frost Spider to 5 slots then...

And I agree about the White Wyrm... it'll be nice if it can train up as good as a Greater... that would give us an Ice and a Fire pet... The Rune Beetle will be the Poison pet. But unlike a warrior I still can't swap out weapons on the fly.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheesh people, can't some animals in the game stay just that. Animals, not fighting machines. =/
Yes, all the wild ones, and all the ones people choose to not train up. People obviously want a lot of the lower level animal graphics to come with the higher level animal stats, I see no reason not to allow it.

If there IS a specific reason, then just make exception in those cases. I can see sparrows being 5 slot power as being disruptive, but aside from that...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't matter what is the point of having a 5 slot Fire Steed? It can't have the Pack Instinct then. And it's the stuff that they do when paired that used to make them ok pets.

The problem with a lot of pets these days is that MOBs are now designed to thwart the average sampire... Pets don't even compare to a sampire or any player using specials and EoO and such... THAT is the problem with pets. So training a pet up to more slots really isn't what is needed. You lose something... What they need is to not be so drastically nerfed the second you tame them in the first place... and for them to be able to have jewelery or some such to give them things like we have. Like being able to use something on your pet to help it target demons, or Elementals... etc...

Why train a pet which has pack instinct up to something that you can only have 1 of and you lose the pack instinct? And honestly since they DEVs are unwilling to see that Dread Mares are hands down the better pet over a nightmare I don't care how many slots you train that up to it'll NEVER compare to the Dread. They fail to see that many of the old pets just lack what it takes. Raising their HP and such won't help the fact that they just don't do the right damage, the right spell combo's or the right anything....

Lets take the Reptalon for instance... this pet has been nerfed to the point that it's just a joke .... and it's 4 slots already.... training it up one more slot isn't going to make it no longer suck. It's still going to suck because it's slow... doesn't do anything great... and is unfunctional.... just like removing the Raptors ability to summon up 2 more of itself..... making it an actual viable pet option.... with that ability nerfed it's utterly useless. I don't care how many slots it has. Are we going to see a reptalon or a raptor at 5 slots be able to take the damage a Greater Dragon does??? I highly doubt it.. and even if they did..... they still will suck.

What makes the GD the all around pet of choice is that it doesn't die when a mob breaths on it. 900 HP and resists in the 60's+ that's what makes it viable.... And the occasional chance your GD does actual damage above the 35 once in awhile it gets some good hits but for the most part it's a meat shield... and Tank. Many folk think that the GD does good damage but any tamer will tell you the best numbers to come off damage from a greater are usually about 35. Sometimes if something is weak to fire it might do more but for the most part it's not the high damage output that folk think... my Archer can do 10x the damage hit after hit that a GD ever will do. And damage is king.

The only reason Tamers are still viable and needed is the meat shield that the GD is. Because if you aren't a sampire you can't toe to toe most mobs anymore. See how long you last against things like Scalis without a GD or something to take the heat. If you aren't a Sampire or something try going toe to toe against any of the big mobs.

I'd love to use pets other than the GD... but the truth of the matter is that without the resists and HP and such of the GD most pets aren't going to be any good even at 5 slots.

I will enjoy seeing what a Wolf Spider is like as a 5 slot pet... but honestly... his resists aren't that great. A 5 Slot Bake might be something to see as well... since it lacks a slayer. A spider can still be trumped with a slayer which is something that keeps the GD in check. Most folk can carry a Dragon Slayer and put that down without too much trouble. A 5 slot Rune Beetle might be something interesting to see as well since most tamers hardly use it anymore as a majority of new mobs can take them out in about 2 seconds. You can't heal them fast enough to keep them alive against most things. If they had the resist and HP to actually stay alive more than 2 seconds they might be a worthwhile pet again.

But the 4 slot pets have no hope. Training them up 1 slot isn't going to fix their brokenness. The Hiryu without spells is a lame pet... and without the HP to survive it isn't even in the running to be a good pet again, The Skree was never a 4 slot worthy pet... the Reptalon will never be good either... And the Cu is just too slow ... even at 125 dex it's extremely slow. By the time it gets off another decent attack whatever it was fighting is healed.

The problem with most things lies with PvP. If you up a pets performance to be in line with current PvM then it's overpowered in PvP. But if you nerf them enough to keep them from being overpowerful in PvP then you make them useless in PvM...

Like I said what pets need is a way to give them some bonuses in PvM.... slayer abilities you can put on and switch out would be better. IMO. Maybe that's part of the Revamp maybe not... but I'd like to be able to feed my pet powerscrolls and raise their abilities over 100... I'd like to be able to give them a stat scroll and raise their stats up a bit too... maybe the CuSidhe won't be as slow at 150 dex.

Just saying.

Raising them up to 5 slots isn't the best answer or solution to making pets viable.
Yeah, I think we need to see what training them to level 5 entails before pooh poohing the idea. But even if its just essentially a way to reskin greater dragons that would still be a welcome change.

As for your comments on firesteeds... I expect them to be one of the top pets after this change happens. Anything 2+ slots that's riable will be in the new best pet tier. Firesteed, Reptalon, Nightmare, Dread Mare, Black Pickle, Greater Hiryu... am I missing any? The ones without magic will probably be slighly lower tier, though I could see Hiryu's with their armor damaging ability actually ending up an elite pet, assuming there is no way to give pets specials with this revamp, like you mention.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm a bit worried the pet revamp is going to make greater dragons obsolete. Why use a greater dragon when you can use a ridable pet that is just as strong?

Also 5 slot ridable pets might become a problem in pvp.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever it is...I'd rather they take their time and release new pets into the revamp slowwwww!!! Not all at once!!!!! Let's go over an example. All pets can go to 5 Followers. Yes even low level cats, dogs, and yes A WALRUS! However please for the love of god do them right!

White Wyrm
Follower Slots: 2
Taming Required: 97.3
Max Stats: 760 STR, 760 HP, 130 DEX, 425 INT
Abilities: Current

Follower Slots: 3 (The Sprite is changed to add prevalent small Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast)
Max Stats: 790 STR, 790 HP, 135 DEX, 410 INT(Not a typo)
Special Attacks: Icy Blast(Similar to fire breath) Capped at 40damage for PvP
5% Increase in max Skill Attainable
i.e.: If Your Resist is Max at 100. It is now Bumped to 105 Max

Follower Slots: 4 (The Sprite is changed to add prevalent medium Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast with a black streak on her head)
Max Stats: 825 STR, 825 HP, 130 DEX, 475 INT
Special Abilities: Icy Blast, Arctic Wave(Similar to Wither)
10% Increase in Max Skill Attainable

Follower Slots 5(The Sprite is changed to add prevalent Large Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast and 2 Crimson streaks down her tail)
Max Stats: 905 STR, 905 HP, 140 Dex, 450 INT
Special Abilities: Icy Blast, Arctic Wave, Freeze Ray(Equivalent to an Omen/Para with a bleed out effect for 20 seconds PvM, 8 Seconds PvP(subject to Resisting Spells)
15% Increase in Max Skill Attainable

..now you may not like this specifically, but I just spent the time to push a narrative. Add content that's enjoyable, well thought out..and BALANCED! Don't just add a basic algorithm that increases strength, usefulness by a set % and say well we tried you whiners!

Roll out 2-3 Pets every quarter
1st Month (White Wyrm, Rune Beetle, Fire Steed)
2nd Month (Balance, Q&A, Tweaks, Suggestions for next Cycle)
3rd Month (Prep for New Batch, Finalize any patches, fixes or concerns)
4th Month (Cusidhe, Bake, Nightmare)
..rinse and repeat!

It would keep things fresh even though you probably have it all mapped out before you start, keeps people paying subs while they Train, Test, Play with their new beauties! Nothing would look or feel rushed, like pretty much everything else that has no real flare or thought to it. "Dinosaurs"

Not only does a pet revamp cater to Trammel predominant players, but many Fel Nerds enjoy not knowing how to pvp and say all kill too. Kind of win win to both facets IMO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a bit worried the pet revamp is going to make greater dragons obsolete. Why use a greater dragon when you can use a ridable pet that is just as strong?
Not gonna happen. People paid lots of money for their dragons so they will bomb Mesanna with mails if it happens. And we know how this goes ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also 5 slot ridable pets might become a problem in pvp.
It should make them obsolete. You use them if you like how they look. I agree with the super powered ridable pets, unless rideability is taken into account in the calculation of how strong they can get (as it well should be).

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like that they are adding new rewards for BODs, but not sure I'm excited about adding another BOD system for Tinkering, Carpentry and Fletching.
I would love to see a BOD system for Tinkering, Carpentry and Fletching, I hate the heartwood quest and Heartwood too. If I hade a say, I would remove heartwood and the other town of same kind and add all the quest npcs to normal towns and good old guard houses around the land.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever it is...I'd rather they take their time and release new pets into the revamp slowwwww!!! Not all at once!!!!! Let's go over an example. All pets can go to 5 Followers. Yes even low level cats, dogs, and yes A WALRUS! However please for the love of god do them right!

White Wyrm
Follower Slots: 2
Taming Required: 97.3
Max Stats: 760 STR, 760 HP, 130 DEX, 425 INT
Abilities: Current

Follower Slots: 3 (The Sprite is changed to add prevalent small Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast)
Max Stats: 790 STR, 790 HP, 135 DEX, 410 INT(Not a typo)
Special Attacks: Icy Blast(Similar to fire breath) Capped at 40damage for PvP
5% Increase in max Skill Attainable
i.e.: If Your Resist is Max at 100. It is now Bumped to 105 Max

Follower Slots: 4 (The Sprite is changed to add prevalent medium Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast with a black streak on her head)
Max Stats: 825 STR, 825 HP, 130 DEX, 475 INT
Special Abilities: Icy Blast, Arctic Wave(Similar to Wither)
10% Increase in Max Skill Attainable

Follower Slots 5(The Sprite is changed to add prevalent Large Ice Blue Spikes to the back and tail of the beast and 2 Crimson streaks down her tail)
Max Stats: 905 STR, 905 HP, 140 Dex, 450 INT
Special Abilities: Icy Blast, Arctic Wave, Freeze Ray(Equivalent to an Omen/Para with a bleed out effect for 20 seconds PvM, 8 Seconds PvP(subject to Resisting Spells)
15% Increase in Max Skill Attainable

..now you may not like this specifically, but I just spent the time to push a narrative. Add content that's enjoyable, well thought out..and BALANCED! Don't just add a basic algorithm that increases strength, usefulness by a set % and say well we tried you whiners!

Roll out 2-3 Pets every quarter
1st Month (White Wyrm, Rune Beetle, Fire Steed)
2nd Month (Balance, Q&A, Tweaks, Suggestions for next Cycle)
3rd Month (Prep for New Batch, Finalize any patches, fixes or concerns)
4th Month (Cusidhe, Bake, Nightmare)
..rinse and repeat!

It would keep things fresh even though you probably have it all mapped out before you start, keeps people paying subs while they Train, Test, Play with their new beauties! Nothing would look or feel rushed, like pretty much everything else that has no real flare or thought to it. "Dinosaurs"

Not only does a pet revamp cater to Trammel predominant players, but many Fel Nerds enjoy not knowing how to pvp and say all kill too. Kind of win win to both facets IMO..

I don't think they are going to adjust anything we have, they are just going to let us train them up to viability in the modern game. Now hopefully that's more involved than just... they keep gaining stats until they reach a cap. Hopefully it will allow us to have some direct control over what kind of pet it ends up being, with stats, resists, special abilities...maybe even new skills and tasteful color options?

Like making a pet tanky by investing training into it's hps and resists, rather than giving it more skills/abilities or str/dex. Or having a pet that's trained to hunt demons, with demon slayer, high fire resist... stuff like that.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh boy! Another taming update? Seems like they get their fair amount of attention. A lot of people are into taming, I guess it could be worse. At least they're not wasting time on some PvP thing. Glad that High Seas is on their radar. I'd be much more excited about that. Would like to see more along the lines of the delivery missions. Something new and different.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah because they never made people's gear or templates obsolete or made rare, valuable items common, or anything. :p
Yea, fair enough. Sometimes the team stands their ground, despite the criticism. But then again for certain areas of the game the cry-me-a-river tactic works wonders. Can't see a proper line there - unfortunately. But I feel like it's an thing about who is responsible for the content in question. I just keep to disagree about a lot of decisions taken by her.

I personally never felt the need to write emails to the producers of the games I play. Let alone feeling entitled enough to threat them "change it back or i quit!" or wanting to have a serious say in how they roll their games. I rather find it pretty childish. But that's my personal opinion I guess.

As for the actual pet revamp, we will hopefully see in 2017 what it brings. Long way to hold my breath ;)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, fair enough. Sometimes the team stands their ground, despite the criticism. But then again for certain areas of the game the cry-me-a-river tactic works wonders. Can't see a proper line there - unfortunately. But I feel like it's an thing about who is responsible for the content in question. I just keep to disagree about a lot of decisions taken by her.

I personally never felt the need to write emails to the producers of the games I play. Let alone feeling entitled enough to threat them "change it back or i quit!" or wanting to have a serious say in how they roll their games. I rather find it pretty childish. But that's my personal opinion I guess.
Good god! What are you....a normal person? How dare you not say fix it or I delete my 94 accounts

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As for the actual pet revamp, we will hopefully see in 2017 what it brings. Long way to hold my breath ;)
It seems that if substantial dev work was put in... it's going into the game whether people like it or not. They might tweak it, but not massively. I really just hope they let us do 1 slot pets too.

I also don't get emailing dev members, or anything of that nature, unless they specifically ask, and I care enough, which I have yet to. :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh boy! Another taming update? Seems like they get their fair amount of attention. A lot of people are into taming, I guess it could be worse. At least they're not wasting time on some PvP thing. Glad that High Seas is on their radar. I'd be much more excited about that. Would like to see more along the lines of the delivery missions. Something new and different.
Another? o_O

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could easily argue all the new pets(i.e. Dragon turtle), taming skill adjustments, incubators, etc etc

Yep, another.
Which were complete fails..which is why I suggest dropping new pets slowly and doing it the right way, so they aren't too underpowered for PvM and not too over powered for PvP

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could easily argue all the new pets(i.e. Dragon turtle), taming skill adjustments, incubators, etc etc

Yep, another.
Eh, Tamers have gotten... 4 new pets (5 if you count the Dread Mare replacement) of varying usefulness since SA, (which also introduced incubators), two of which was not from this ToL. That's been the better part of 10 years. I don't recall the skill being adjusted, unless you mean masteries, and that was an part of upgrade for a ton of skills. The way he put it it sounded like he was taming was getting updates every other month or something. Taming is absolutely due a functional upgrade rather than just new tamables, which I again must add have not been all that common.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Which were complete fails..which is why I suggest dropping new pets slowly and doing it the right way, so they aren't too underpowered for PvM and not too over powered for PvP

If only I had a list of their failures in regards to PvP...

If that's all the justification we need...

Regardless, I agree. Specific tweaks instead of a mass revamp would be ideal. However, that's just not how the team works.

They tackle a specific area and push it out in one publish. This can be effective if moderated effectively.

This is rarely the case though.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Eh, Tamers have gotten... 4 new pets (5 if you count the Dread Mare replacement) of varying usefulness since SA, (which also introduced incubators), two of which was not from this ToL. That's been the better part of 10 years. I don't recall the skill being adjusted, unless you mean masteries, and that was an part of upgrade for a ton of skills. The way he put it it sounded like he was taming was getting updates every other month or something. Taming is absolutely due a functional upgrade rather than just new tamables, which I again must add have not been all that common.

The way he was posting it was like tamers get upgrades with every publish.
Yeah I wouldn't say every publish, but more frequent than other areas of the game.

Sorry I was vague about skills specifically, it was with the stable slots etc.

I'm all for updating old animals. (Fire steed would be cool to be useful.)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If only I had a list of their failures in regards to PvP...
These literally so many it's unreal. Either they need to hire someone who can actually pvp and actually knows what the small pvp community actually wants. One that doesn't use a /kill command to claim their superiority...or a super tiny focus group of buddies that they select based on how super l33t they are on these forums. Most of which their only fel time in in the house crafting or killing bulls and farming leather.

Small fixes which could make PvP a more variety template game again.

-lower max Comp Bow swing ticks to cap 1.5
-make specials toggle again with spells and have them cost double mana

Little things...