• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP is very WELL balanced now , my suggestions for pvp:

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have pvped since 1997... and for many years there were always templates that could insta kill any other toon in the game.

Well ....now this is not existing anymore. So if you are at least not a nub , and a bit competent in pvp, you should be able to survive against anyone for a long time.

You can have very offensive templates ( archers) or very defensive like an HEALING mage with alchemy!!! or a chiv parry mage or whatever....

The game is very very well balanced right now. Simple facts.

My suggestion is

1) to develop the VvV system which started with good ideas but left too early to rott in my opinion. Instead of just conquering altars...you should get random Capture the flag also , siege the town etc , when you enter in a vvv town you will see what kind of action you get .

I would also add a possibility to do BETs and let them display for all VVV partecipants on the bottom left of the screen. For example , there is YEW as capture the flag and HOT decides to bet 50 millions that they will win it every other vvv partecipant will see bottom left that there is this nice small event going on, so they can go and challenge in this case HOT guild for the flags and the gold too.

The idea is to create MINI events + encourage players to do them also because they can get some gold to improve their suits etc .

Many players prefer maybe to do a spawn in T2A in felucca to get some scrolls but if they can win 50 -100 mils at once...would they partecipate more in VVV town fights? I Think so... more action, more players .

2) REVAMP REVAMP REVAMP old faction bases, I would like to see context menu outside the base ( similar to arena stone) but with various options : Last man standing, siege the base, capture the flag, team fights etc.

You can set up the fight you want outside the base as you do before you enter in ARENA. Also here I encourage a system where you can place BETS and this will make tons of players activate this kind of fights ( for example HOT GUILD decides to start a team fight vs the shard and they bet 100 mils that they will win, any other guild can go there, place the same amount of bid and partecipate to the carnage).

3) Re- introduce bounty system for reds....yes we WANT REDS BACK , I personally removed a total of at least 10k murder counts from 5 of my toons, it was very sad but necessary because of TOWN buff and the VVV system. I want to see the bounty system back, don't chop heads ...( even if I loved it) , you get the soul of the red and you can bring it near the bank and get your gold , players who get murdered can donate sums to have the pker killed. Bounty boards will be desplayed at every bank.

4) Introduce BLOOD buff for pkers, no town buff , blood of course.....you get it in dungeons...similar system to the town buff for blues but also for reds, I will personally go red on half of my toons again...

No Governors for pkers but another good name ( King, prince , general.... or whatever you like ), connected to the dungeon they get voted to.....

Last edited:

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have pvped since 1997... and for many years there were always templates that could insta kill any other toon in the game.

Well ....now this is not existing anymore. So if you are at least not a nub , and a bit competent in pvp, you should be able to survive against anyone for a long time.

You can have very offensive templates ( archers) or very defensive like an HEALING mage with alchemy!!! or a chiv parry mage or whatever....

My suggestion is

1) to develop the VvV system which started with good ideas but left too early to rott in my opinion. Instead of just conquering altars...you should get random Capture the flag also , siege the town etc , when you enter in a vvv town you will see what kind of action you get .

I would also add a possibility to do BETs and let them display for all VVV partecipants on the bottom left of the screen. For example , there is YEW as capture the flag and HOT decides to bet 50 millions that they will win it every other vvv partecipant will see bottom left that there is this nice small event going on, so they can go and challenge in this case HOT guild for the flags and the gold too.

The idea is to create MINI events + encourage players to do them also because they can get some gold to improve their suits etc .

Many players prefer maybe to do a spawn in T2A in felucca to get some scrolls but if they can win 50 -100 mils at once...would they partecipate more in VVV town fights? I Think so... more action, more players .

2) REVAMP REVAMP REVAMP old faction bases, I would like to see context menu outside the base ( similar to arena stone) but with various options : Last man standing, siege the base, capture the flag, team fights etc.

You can set up the fight you want outside the base as you do before you enter in ARENA. Also here I encourage a system where you can place BETS and this will make tons of players activate this kind of fights ( for example HOT GUILD decides to start a team fight vs the shard and they bet 100 mils that they will win, any other guild can go there, place the same amount of bid and partecipate to the carnage).

3) Re- introduce bounty system for reds....yes we WANT REDS BACK , I personally removed a total of at least 10k murder counts from 5 of my toons, it was very sad but necessary because of TOWN buff and the VVV system. I want to see the bounty system back, don't chop heads ...( even if I loved it) , you get the soul of the red and you can bring it near the bank and get your gold , players who get murdered can donate sums to have the pker killed. Bounty boards will be desplayed at every bank.

4) Introduce BLOOD buff for pkers, no town buff , blood of course.....you get it in dungeons...similar system to the town buff for blues but also for reds, I will personally go red on half of my toons again...
The "Siege the Base" idea would be epic. First guild to enter the base claims base to defend. Faction base fighting is something I miss the most about factions.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Or...
They can just do away with the red/blue system entirely. Make it so everyone who enters fel is orange and VvV. Aoes/fields/pots would hit anyone not guilded because they are orange already. Everyone has their town buffs, guards no longer can be used, "blue griefing" in whatever form it takes will be nonexistent, and fel will be a pure 100% consensual pvp zone as it should be.

Edit Reds lose more than buffs. They lose the ability to use the virtue system, and the ability to shop and hang out in tram on that character. I think the days of exiling entire characters to one zone simply because they want to pvp should be over.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very much agree that PvP is well balanced at this time. Skills and the application of of highly defensive templates that are weak on damage output but hard to kill have been a large part of that. Tweaks that make sense have also been a large part and a break from nerfing a entire skill or template in a misguided attempt to bring balance. High end items being easily obtainable by anyone willing to go farm them or dumb enough to spend billions on them have leveled the field a lot as well. Bottom line is people cry for balance in order to achieve imbalance that benefits their individual playstyle and template. Then use the argument that anyone who opposes it is a idiot that doesn't understand PvP. You are dead on though PvP is well balanced and PvM is well balanced despite the power creep over the years. We really are about as good balance wise as we have ever been.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean VvV could be better if they just added more items frequently..put things on monthly, quarterly, he'll even yearly cycles..keep things up for a month at a time that will never return. Keep people interested..items lure players, no matter what facet you play. We do towns for fights not silver..but let's say there was a 7k point cost 1FC Crystal that granted 1 faster casting for 1 real week..it would be sought after. Add a Crystal Cloak that can hold 3 different crystals. Talk about opening up all new template theory crafting ideas..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1) Remove Casting focus.
2) Remove Poison Immunity from Poisoning skill.

3) Reduce parry chances for templates that do not using Swords, Fencing, Macing, or Throwing. down to 17.5-20% from 35.

4) Cap ranged weapon speeds at 1.5s if a melee skill is combined with a ranged skill.

5) Remove tactics required for specials
6) Allow specials to be toggled while casting.
That is all.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Remove Casting focus.
2) Remove Poison Immunity from Poisoning skill.

3) Reduce parry chances for templates that do not using Swords, Fencing, Macing, or Throwing. down to 17.5-20% from 35.

4) Cap ranged weapon speeds at 1.5s if a melee skill is combined with a ranged skill.

5) Remove tactics required for specials
6) Allow specials to be toggled while casting.
That is all.
Now those suggestions all make sense.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And a real problem I see coming down the road are the new automatons, 100 skill in tinker gives you pet slightly less powerful than a greater dragon. Now that could turn into a real balance issue.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Covenant mate but u ask things like 5/6 that were OP , I had bushido mage with hyru and bokuto insta killing ppl like that

Trust me I pvp a lot u don't want to reduce parry chance, u get slaughtered by insane bows ( all elemental), insane suits... Archers can have near 190 mana with 211 si and 150 hpi with solid no names.... U get pwned if u reduce parry.

We will have insta kill combos again. Trust daddy.

Also CF is sometimes good 1vs1 in arena.... But on the field it's deadly, it can make u die.... Think about a mage castinh a flamestrike but the archers do 2 armour ignore.... If cf hits u keep casting and u are parad by your own spell and take full dmg without being able to move, not OP at all

InfernO will come to get you

Last edited:

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to suggest having PVP events that are actually about pvp and not fighting monsters leave that for tram events. 4 team CTF would be a good start. Players with most points from getting flags/kills get the items.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Covenant mate but u ask things like 5/6 that were OP , I had bushido mage with hyru and bokuto insta killing ppl like that

Trust me I pvp a lot u don't want to reduce parry chance, u get slaughtered by insane bows ( all elemental), insane suits... Archers can have near 190 mana with 211 si and 150 hpi with solid no names.... U get pwned if u reduce parry.

We will have insta kill combos again. Trust daddy.

Also CF is sometimes good 1vs1 in arena.... But on the field it's deadly, it can make u die.... Think about a mage castinh a flamestrike but the archers do 2 armour ignore.... If cf hits u keep casting and u are parad by your own spell and take full dmg without being able to move, not OP at all

InfernO will come to get you
Reduce Parry chance & cap Ranged attack speed 1.5s (still 1.25 if Archery or Throwing are the only weapon skills). Who has trouble fighting an archer that can't disarm/splinter?

Casting focus is arguably "good", but it absolutely killed dueling, how? by Adding randomness (RNG) to something that was mostly your timing vs your opponents timing. now there's additional factors with no cooldown, it's not limited on how many times it can or can not go off, it's bad for the game. Poison immunity plays a role in that as well.
-Completely unnecessary.

Insta-kill combo's still exist but are often difficult to land because people have gotten better at pvp. I'll mention Virem as an example. his combo: Exp, FS, AI, Supernova. (all hitting within a .5 second window), That's still possible, relatively easy to avoid if you know what's coming.

The point is that even if supernova potions didn't exist it could still kill people in a single combo. Exp, Fs,AI+hit-lightening) and the gear to accomplish the combo is far easier to get nowadays anyone could do it.

Besides, the biggest factor of those insta-kills back in those days, were due to most people having absolutely HORRIBLE suits (just one resist below 55-60 could get you killed by 2-3 spell-combos. Very few people had caps on any properties, mages would stack LMC/LRC fc/fcr, easily.... But SDI & all 70s was difficult, Forget about HPI... most people ran with 10 from the CC (Slithers didn't exist).

Now it's safe to say, everyone that's using even imbued armor, has a suit 10x better than the "good" suits from pre-imbuing.

Bushido mages wouldn't be able to endlessly evade like they used too, (with or without mage-weapons), because Evasion has a cool-down now, weapon skills are required for it now as well.

Publish 46 patch notes:

Specifically:
PvP Changes
  • Weapon Special Moves now require Weapon Skill and Tactics of appropriate skill levels. (i.e., 70 in each skill for primary weapon special moves, 90 in each skill for secondary weapon special moves).
  • Can no longer stack using a weapon special move and casting a spell or activating a skill ability.
as well as other fixes in the same publish, that made the above unnecessary. - if you're going to nerf individual skills, what's the point in adding in additional restrictions in the same publish.

Death Strike will now cause 50% less damage when using a ranged weapon.
Death Strike damage cap lowered from 70 to 60.
Death Strike damage now scales based on the average of Hiding/Stealth from 30% to 100% of normal damage.

Evasion can now only be activated once every 20 seconds.

I'm having difficulty finding the exact publish this was fixed in...

There was a bug which made weapons hit if you were in swinging distance when a spell landed, the perfect examples would be Stun-punch+lightening endlessly, & WoD-Archers.

I'm sure you remember the days of no property caps (FC/FCR), where people would stun-punch/lightening over and over until you were dead?

Yea, it wasn't only due to there being no caps on properties, caps implemented long before publish 46... it was because wrestling(stun-punch) Couldn't Miss as each time the lightening landed, you were guaranteed to be stunned with the next punch (no HCI needed). WoD-Archers, were affected by the same bug, AI couldn't miss when word of death hit 60 damage WoD + 50-60 AI (insta-kill, that couldn't miss)... -both fixed.

I'm pretty sure I've covered my bases.
It's not the first time I've had this discussion.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jesus. Now why can't I find anything even close to any of those?

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the big fights idea.

The only thing they need to balance is chivalry. Even playing a 4/6 char I can't help but think it's insane every time I log on it. It has the best offensive spell and defense. I'm unbiased enough to know even playing this char myself that it needs to be adjusted. Once that is tweaked I think PvP will be balanced as the thread says. I feel bad when people try to fight me on my 4/6 char. I like how easy it is to make a suit for it though.

The mastery heal should be able to be interrupted.
Should not be able to recall on the run, even though I Love it!
It almost seems unfair too that Chiv requires no complimentary skill for its potency just Karma which is a breeze to keep up. Just imagine if other skills only required Karma!

Whats the reasoning behind mages not being able to have 4/6 with Chivalry?

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The reasoning for mages not allowed to have it - was back in the day, it made people unkillable like it did now a days specially when it was just really necro vs chiv...

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did you decide that PvP is balanced? There's only three templates left that are remotely viable. Archer variant, parry mage variant, or chiv dexer variant. The gear is absolutely insane, but somehow, there is significantly less templates to play than there was 10 years ago. That's a serious case of regression.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How did you decide that PvP is balanced? There's only three templates left that are remotely viable. Archer variant, parry mage variant, or chiv dexer variant. The gear is absolutely insane, but somehow, there is significantly less templates to play than there was 10 years ago. That's a serious case of regression.
Agreed much better items but you can't even be slightly creative after everything they have ruined.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

LOLOL. How backwards of a statement can you possibly make!!!!! These two lines prove that its completely unbalanced. You named the only templates even being played period. If you don't play one of those templates, your only chance to win the fight is to have more numbers then the group your fighting. Havnt you noticed that pvp is damn near dead in the past few months. Its cause of this imbalance in pvp. You say you like cause that's the only thing you play the OP cookie cutter template, its no different then the old nerve strike/deathstrike hiryu template, just at a different time with a new OP template. Its no different then the mystic nerve striker before they nerfed it. Chivalry needs a pure base template setup and parry mages need a nerf by adding alchy and poisoning to SDI break. All the RNG mage things also need to go (i.e. casting focus/poison immunity). Fix pvp and bring more pvpers back to fel to make it more fun.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Blazing, if the viable templates in pvp are extreme offense or extreme defense, IT'S NOT BALANCED. What balanced ACTUALLY means is that any template works in a 1 on 1 situation, but some work better than others (depending on player skill), particularly in certain situations or matchups. Examples: Non-parry mage (let's say a Mystic Mage) against Archer = Archer will likely win. Parry Mage against archer = Archer's most likely going to lose.

When I see you play, it's almost always on Muchi Muchi Munn, which I believe is a 4/6 spellweaving parry Swords fister. Among other things, you've stacked both offense and defense just to be virtually unkillable. Please tell me again how that's balanced.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Bounty system is a good idea, that could make people want to chase the PKers down by putting a price on their head, maybe the price of the insurance of the other person or the total cost of all bag items?
But what if the PKer decides he dont want to log in for a long time, he should also somehow get penalised for having a bounty on his head, maybe random spawn like myrmidex but maybe guards or something and then a message is sent to the whole shard saying PK here? Its all thoughts for fun at the moment.
Being able to cut your victims heads should come back too. Same for your attackers as display or something.

If a VVV city (EX: Britain) is occupied more than 3 times in a row by the same Guild/Alliance, there´s a town buff for the Guild in defending the town next time is up for VVV.
Maybe even if no one of the Guild is there to defend it, maybe some Guild guards appear or something, which gives many points? This makes the Guilds want to defend cities for Buffs and to not give many silver points to opposing team.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Chad, normally I would agree wtih you.. But, throughout my time in playing Uo there has always been the flavour of the month templates. Which are generally more overpowered than others, we can hopefully both agree on this point. Uo has always had 3/4 templates that are extremely viable at a time, and then templates that get less and less viable (player dependent of course). My overall point here is this is just like any other point in UO - some things are just better than others. What changes would you implement to make more templates viable?

Personally I'd like to see something done with necro. I think archers have hit a hard nerf without mortal spams so they are losing their strength ( still extremely strong do not get me wrong just not disgustingly overpowered like before). Parry mages, well they can be OP for dexxers but apart from that, they're in a good place, any smart dexxer should never die 1vs1 to one... ******** chiv templates need to change (chiv mages, muchi templates) realistically anything that can do more damage than an archer or mage in less time and have the best defence in game is broken. I'd like to see more variation in mages, but due to the general dominance of dexxers in an open field environment you have to have some sort of parry or you will instantly die. Moreover, I see stealthers are in a reasonably good place at the moment and can be viable if played by the correct player. Tamers, I think are in a bad place for quite a while now, however add chiv and the right skill increase onto a template im sure something incredibly strong could come out of it. Mystic, overall - strong in choke points has some good points for open field I believe they are in a good place. Tank mages, have been making a little come back here and there - really strong 1vs1, but once again open field/choke it becomes very situational dependent on what you're fighting.

So realistically from my perspective, UO is reasonably balanced bar chiv templates.
The changes I would implement to add more balance and hopefully a little extra variation. Lower holy fist damage to 25, and remove its splintering effect. The reason behind this would make chiv still have the ultimate defense, but would lower the damage output.. Therefore, making it a defensive template and not a massive damage dealing and defensive template. + I would make some changes to do with remove curse, Either a timer on the cast every 10 seconds or so. Or, only removes 1 debuff per cast.

Necro, This is a tuff one, But firstly lower the cost of mana on all spells.... I would even consider allowing mages to have maybe 20/25 sdi while having necro. The vision behind this would be making necro into a glass cannon kind of build, due to the fact it would be diffcult to get all the skill points you need with having both necro/spirit/mage/eval/resist/ + any variation of alch/parry/poisoning//wrest mage wep.... But could be a concept to look into ( any other points I'd love to hear). Or maybe just allowing necros to be able to get back in vamp form and cast spells giving them that life leech on spells, which could make it interseting in todays game play making them into more of a tanky build.

Dexxers, I think straight dexxers have been over looked for a long time, with constant nerfs to everything they use due to other reasons.. I'd like to see them hit harder.. Kind of like how a scribe mage does in comparison to a mystic mage. For example, a dexxer who has one weapon skill ( Non archery/throwing) and no stealth/bush/ninja/casting. Should be able to hit like a truck.

Archers - Honestly the gear has made them far too strong, I think its completely unfair how i can moving shot someone for 50 damage and there is generally nothing you can do about it apart from apple... Look into lowering the base damage of moving shots,

Gargoyles, You really just do not see enough of them, I think this is due to the way gear drops there is insane amounts of human/elf but no where near enough gargoyles on the market making all armor etcetc drop globally i think would make them be seen more commonly..

Classic Cilent - Fix it, make it c equal to enhanced client. Firstly, Why the **** do people get client errors still? Secondly, Why cannot people put on their suits instantly like EC. Thirdly, Why can EC players run faster? I'd argue that people on EC cast a little faster also however that is subjective to my opinion. Lastly, How has these been able to go on for so long!!!!! This is one thing that really needs to be addressed, if there are two different cilents for the same game there should not be advantages for running one over the other.

Any other opinions I'd really like to hear + criticism/ agreemnt/ expasion on those ideas

Last edited:

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While im on a rant **** it,

VVV - Why, explain to me the benefit of it at this point. No one really fights at the towns, silver(points) means nothing. There's nothing to really compete for. From my experience PvPer's love Ego Boosters, and a real reason to fight each other rather than just Yew gate fighting for the fun of it.... Now how to implement this. Firstly, other people's opinions run along the line of buffs. I disagree with this due to the fact you should not get an advantage just because you win everything, you shouldn't receive more power to do so that is completely unattainable by other means. However, I believe you should be rewarded for winning (OBVIOUSLY). Now, what do PvPers want - I think it runs along the lines of something that will enable them to control a market and make gold. Much like power scrolls were, but it's incredibly difficult to regulate a market when there is 10+ spawns, and can be farmed 24/7 + people can transfer them over etc. So, the question is what kind of goodies would this equate too, ( I'm generally not to sure, but i would suggest something usuable by everybody and needed.. But this is the only way to get it)

Now for the ego booster, I love the idea of having an event at prime time every 3/5 days ( much like darkfall and sea towers) where there is an objective to do, and the winning guild gets goodies + their guild title advertised at every city. The idea behind this would be getting every PVP guild fighting at the same time at least a couple times a week at a set time and a set place. I think a good idea for this would be you would need one person in your guild to complete a sequence of objectives in this zone and the first guild to do so wins. Moreover,if the person in your guild dies they have to restart the sequence from the start.Therefore, the benefits of this are there is not the issue of finding the fight, its prime time so the majority of players can play and HUGE FIGHTS with massive bragging rights up for grabs.I think a great example of showing how this idea is viable is those stealing events recently, every guild came out to play and there were some of the biggest/fast pace fights in so long. The fast pace really came from people wanting to complete the objectives and get the goodies first!!!! I would also like to see induvial players getting recognised at these events - by having K/D/A system per event, and the player with the highest would receive a uniquely dyed mount ( with stats etc like a vvv horse) which would last a week or two. With the fixed name of I was the best pvper on dd/mm/yyyy. For example Parthis was the best pvper 10/9/2016. Ultimate bragging rights ensured

Last edited:

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never seen any game including this one that has perfect PvP balance. You can balance stuff all day, but it does come down to the overall suits doesn't?! Of course it does. The developers can never account for the fact that some people can REALLY gear their characters. Never gonna change, no matter what game.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've never seen any game including this one that has perfect PvP balance. You can balance stuff all day, but it does come down to the overall suits doesn't?! Of course it does. The developers can never account for the fact that some people can REALLY gear their characters. Never gonna change, no matter what game.
You're incredibly correct, and that is the way it should be. By gear, but not template...

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chad, normally I would agree wtih you.. But, throughout my time in playing Uo there has always been the flavour of the month templates. Which are generally more overpowered than others, we can hopefully both agree on this point. Uo has always had 3/4 templates that are extremely viable at a time, and then templates that get less and less viable (player dependent of course). My overall point here is this is just like any other point in UO - some things are just better than others. What changes would you implement to make more templates viable?
Pre publish 46 I could play Ninja mage, Bokuto mage, Necro mage, scribe DP, etc...literally anything I wanted to the same success. The story was the same for whatever dexer. That is not the case at all anymore and the game is not fun. Restriction after restriction was implemented and it ended up killing off dozens of viable templates, as well as the players associated with those templates. All this insane gear and there's no reason to play anything other than a pure mage with parry because 30 sdi > any other skill combo. And of course archery is insane, so you're literally required to have parry or just die randomly.

PvP is a joke.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're incredibly correct, and that is the way it should be. By gear, but not template...
I'm indifferent as far as pay to win, but there should never be an insta kill button for a template like their was for archers with the patch error back in the day.

I guess my thought in think is developers try to tweak a template by removing certain skills or something like that in other PvP games, when really they should have thought about everything BETTER in the first place before they plunged in and set certain skills to certain abilities/hot keys.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hey let do another system that can be exploited to get free stuff. lets get buffs and other things to kill non vvv people easier. ill say it again we don't need vvv to fight. so many friends have left, I guess it really doesn't matter now. I wish they would of worked on stopping the cheating half as much as developing vvv. all of this means nothing to me as long as they do nothing about cheating. it takes so long sometimes to fix one thing, like the lower mana cost bug, what a joke. took way too long to fix. now they nerfed mortal strike, its time to nerf curse and para spamming.

I don't want u to work on my car, I want u to fix it.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey let do another system that can be exploited to get free stuff. lets get buffs and other things to kill non vvv people easier. ill say it again we don't need vvv to fight. so many friends have left, I guess it really doesn't matter now. I wish they would of worked on stopping the cheating half as much as developing vvv. all of this means nothing to me as long as they do nothing about cheating. it takes so long sometimes to fix one thing, like the lower mana cost bug, what a joke. took way too long to fix. now they nerfed mortal strike, its time to nerf curse and para spamming.

I don't want u to work on my car, I want u to fix it.
Para-spamming has been around for YEARS, if not since the very beginning of UO. If it's a problem for you, get 120 Resist. Mortal NEEDED to be nerfed, just an fyi. Nerf Curse? How? Prevent it from dropping elemental resists? If you did that, NOBODY would ever die, especially with all of the options we have to heal...and you do know that Curse was bugged until recently, right? Clumsy/Weaken/Feeblemind someone/yourself and it wouldn't do anything - if the person had 10 Dex *cough* @CovenantX *cough*, just using Weaken and Feeblemind would have prevented you from using Curse on them.

The things you complain about in this post (other than cheating) are all things that can be dealt with already, or were dealt with. Town buffs: available to people not in vvv, not sure why you're complaining. If anything, vvv flagging (orange) should apply to EVERYONE in Fel - I can't tell you how tiring it is seeing all of the blues at Yew Gate that sit in the gz (which they pretty much do all ******* day), wait for a red to come by, then gank & one will talk **** about how bad you are for dying to 6+ people.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
- if the person had 10 Dex *cough* @CovenantX *cough*, just using Weaken and Feeblemind would have prevented you from using Curse on them.
The only reason to have more than 10 dex (real) on a mage is if you have Anatomy+Healing or Parry. (mostly just healing+anatomy) because you can be 80+ dex with 10 real nowadays it's not that hard to do.

Besides, I didn't run 10 dex to get Curse bugged easier, I ran 10 dex because It was just easier to cap str/int without worrying about dex (15 dex from CC) is more than enough...
Besides, who uses weaken & feeble mind anyway? They're all essentially the same spell. If someone used both or all three, they deserve to fight someone curse-bugged.

Balance will be found in UO when some of the unnecessary restrictions are removed. (Tactics = Specs & Spec-toggling while casting)
Removing some unnecessary RNG would just make people more happy with it (Casting Focus & Poison Immunity).

Obviously Archery needs toned down a little, people don't complain about Throwers as much because Throwers don't get an extra 10 SSI for enhancing their weapons.
If Archery were toned down Parry (for mages) would need to be toned down as well.

Anyone that pvp's (at least a little) probably knows what the problems are, it's a matter of them being rebalanced/fixed.

You can say pvp is very well balanced right now. but only if you compare the only 3 templates around to each other, not the rest of the templates in UO.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's hilarious hearing people complain about cheating. Such a cop-out. The "cheats" that exist barely give an advantage. Even if they did away with cheating completely, I guarantee you would still get your asses handed to you. At least then you would have nothing to blame and would actually have to try and learn how to get better. In my experience, the people complaining that they don't PVP due to cheating just have no idea what they are doing, so pick the easiest thing to blame it on.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The person complaining about para spam...have you ever PvPed? Pvp has always been "unbalanced" when it comes to certain template vs template battles. A 210 steam archer should ALWAYS win a 1v1 vs an ABC Straight Scribe Mage. Fact is that's where actual skill comes in to UO. It's not a 100% win because skill plays a factor. Just like a skilled archer will beat an average or below average Parry Mage. However I think the distinction is made when an above average Mage fights an above average archer. The archer WILL win 7 of 10 times if the Mage doesn't have Parry. It's just the name of the game. Some templates > then other templates..can't fix or pseudo "balance" that, or I think the whole game would be cookie cutter and a LOT less fun..

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason to have more than 10 dex (real) on a mage is if you have Anatomy+Healing or Parry. (mostly just healing+anatomy) because you can be 80+ dex with 10 real nowadays it's not that hard to do.

Besides, I didn't run 10 dex to get Curse bugged easier, I ran 10 dex because It was just easier to cap str/int without worrying about dex (15 dex from CC) is more than enough...
Besides, who uses weaken & feeble mind anyway? They're all essentially the same spell. If someone used both or all three, they deserve to fight someone curse-bugged.
Interrupting. Other than that, meh.

I think it's hilarious hearing people complain about cheating. Such a cop-out. The "cheats" that exist barely give an advantage. Even if they did away with cheating completely, I guarantee you would still get your asses handed to you. At least then you would have nothing to blame and would actually have to try and learn how to get better. In my experience, the people complaining that they don't PVP due to cheating just have no idea what they are doing, so pick the easiest thing to blame it on.
If you fight certain people often enough, you notice A LOT of things. The ones that deny it or act like you? They're the ones running the programs.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only thing you notice Cossack is the black to gray transition..I digress tho! My hacks cause that!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only thing you notice Cossack is the black to gray transition..I digress tho! My hacks cause that!

Hey Army, remember that time you died to my Flamestrike spam on LS because all you did was try to mini-heal (which was likely because you weren't even there, because nobody is that dumb) through it? No? That's too bad.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Army, remember that time you died to my Flamestrike spam on LS because all you did was try to mini-heal through it? No? That's too bad.
Remember you standing in your house cause you were afraid to come outside and face Daddy! You still live to tell that story though. It's funny, cause unless I was d/c there's literally 0 chance I or anyone else dies to FS Spam..even fully sashed out that's ********.. but keep claiming it. It's ok idc. You know where you stand big boi!

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reduce Parry chance & cap Ranged attack speed 1.5s (still 1.25 if Archery or Throwing are the only weapon skills). Who has trouble fighting an archer that can't disarm/splinter?

Casting focus is arguably "good", but it absolutely killed dueling, how? by Adding randomness (RNG) to something that was mostly your timing vs your opponents timing. now there's additional factors with no cooldown, it's not limited on how many times it can or can not go off, it's bad for the game. Poison immunity plays a role in that as well.
-Completely unnecessary.

Insta-kill combo's still exist but are often difficult to land because people have gotten better at pvp. I'll mention Virem as an example. his combo: Exp, FS, AI, Supernova. (all hitting within a .5 second window), That's still possible, relatively easy to avoid if you know what's coming.

The point is that even if supernova potions didn't exist it could still kill people in a single combo. Exp, Fs,AI+hit-lightening) and the gear to accomplish the combo is far easier to get nowadays anyone could do it.

Besides, the biggest factor of those insta-kills back in those days, were due to most people having absolutely HORRIBLE suits (just one resist below 55-60 could get you killed by 2-3 spell-combos. Very few people had caps on any properties, mages would stack LMC/LRC fc/fcr, easily.... But SDI & all 70s was difficult, Forget about HPI... most people ran with 10 from the CC (Slithers didn't exist).

Now it's safe to say, everyone that's using even imbued armor, has a suit 10x better than the "good" suits from pre-imbuing.

Bushido mages wouldn't be able to endlessly evade like they used too, (with or without mage-weapons), because Evasion has a cool-down now, weapon skills are required for it now as well.

Publish 46 patch notes:

Specifically:

as well as other fixes in the same publish, that made the above unnecessary. - if you're going to nerf individual skills, what's the point in adding in additional restrictions in the same publish.

I'm having difficulty finding the exact publish this was fixed in...

There was a bug which made weapons hit if you were in swinging distance when a spell landed, the perfect examples would be Stun-punch+lightening endlessly, & WoD-Archers.

I'm sure you remember the days of no property caps (FC/FCR), where people would stun-punch/lightening over and over until you were dead?

Yea, it wasn't only due to there being no caps on properties, caps implemented long before publish 46... it was because wrestling(stun-punch) Couldn't Miss as each time the lightening landed, you were guaranteed to be stunned with the next punch (no HCI needed). WoD-Archers, were affected by the same bug, AI couldn't miss when word of death hit 60 damage WoD + 50-60 AI (insta-kill, that couldn't miss)... -both fixed.

I'm pretty sure I've covered my bases.
It's not the first time I've had this discussion.

I am a few weeks late, and honestly did
not read the whole thread... But CF ruined dueling? I disagree terribly. Old school dueling (Pre AOS) was the best. And it had "RNG" as well. It was called magic resist. And you couldn't cast 500 spells. You had to be selective and have great timing. Not today...

Allow me to name some things that ruin it today. (This is mage dueling btw).

LRC - Unlimited regs means unlimited spells. You used to have to be careful and selective. 100 each reg. That is it.

LMC/MR (Focus skill on pure dueler) - You should never be able to cast 500+ spells in a long duel. That's just insane. No need to cancel that spell you casted, bc you have unlimited mana!!

FCR/FC - You could kill mages (and dexxers alike actually) with none of this. This was a folly in itself. Just as SSI was for dexxers tbh.

Resist(s) on armor - you knew approximately how much damage an unresisted spell would do damage wise, so you take the chance. Nowadays, you basically have to guess. Is the person cursed? Do they have all 70s? Etc...

Cycling/Small spell spam - Basically the fault of MR/LMC/LRC. You could NEVER do this without unlimited Mana and Regs.

EP/Alchemy - But in a mage duel you shouldn't be chugging anyways...

Nowadays to win a "pure mage" duel...

You cycle, doing small damage and disrupts over and over... Get a curse off to lower resists, and then hope you hit 2 to 3 poisons in a row (at 50% chance for each). At 3 poisons @ 50% each thats a 12.5% chance to win (Again, if both duelers are at above average skill). A CF tick -slightly- improves that.

Those are just a FEW things I can think of off hand. People complain nowadays saying "Duel me 1v1 pure mage" when they die in the field. They have no idea what pure mage is these days.

Closest you could have is 2 naked characters with 0fc 2fcr, 100 each reg, and both be focused mages. With about 60-ish med each. No LMC/MR/LRC. Then see how good you are "Pure mage".

Just my 2 cents as an "old school" dueler.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am a few weeks late, and honestly did
not read the whole thread... But CF ruined dueling? I disagree terribly. Old school dueling (Pre AOS) was the best. And it had "RNG" as well. It was called magic resist. And you couldn't cast 500 spells. You had to be selective and have great timing. Not today...

Allow me to name some things that ruin it today. (This is mage dueling btw).

LRC - Unlimited regs means unlimited spells. You used to have to be careful and selective. 100 each reg. That is it.

LMC/MR (Focus skill on pure dueler) - You should never be able to cast 500+ spells in a long duel. That's just insane. No need to cancel that spell you casted, bc you have unlimited mana!!

FCR/FC - You could kill mages (and dexxers alike actually) with none of this. This was a folly in itself. Just as SSI was for dexxers tbh.

Resist(s) on armor - you knew approximately how much damage an unresisted spell would do damage wise, so you take the chance. Nowadays, you basically have to guess. Is the person cursed? Do they have all 70s? Etc...

Cycling/Small spell spam - Basically the fault of MR/LMC/LRC. You could NEVER do this without unlimited Mana and Regs.

EP/Alchemy - But in a mage duel you shouldn't be chugging anyways...

Nowadays to win a "pure mage" duel...

You cycle, doing small damage and disrupts over and over... Get a curse off to lower resists, and then hope you hit 2 to 3 poisons in a row (at 50% chance for each). At 3 poisons @ 50% each thats a 12.5% chance to win (Again, if both duelers are at above average skill). A CF tick -slightly- improves that.

Those are just a FEW things I can think of off hand. People complain nowadays saying "Duel me 1v1 pure mage" when they die in the field. They have no idea what pure mage is these days.

Closest you could have is 2 naked characters with 0fc 2fcr, 100 each reg, and both be focused mages. With about 60-ish med each. No LMC/MR/LRC. Then see how good you are "Pure mage".

Just my 2 cents as an "old school" dueler.
I don't Disagree with you... But, I'm not comparing this to "Pre-AoS" (that's more of a classic shard discussion (IMO)), I'm comparing it to Pre-publish 46 (a very small section of it) and/or Pre-Casting Focus/Poison Immunity. Where relatively small changes restricted the "Sand-box" by much more than it needed too, causing it to kill off templates & playstyles that existed in those days.

After AoS: When most pvpers had decent suits (after imbuing, but before reforging would be a better example), this was the next "era" when it was truly your skill/timing vs your opponents skill/timing. Casting focus partially Ignores that, Which is one reason it should be removed from pvp altogether.

CF tick(s) can improve anything an infinite amount because it has no cooldown, it's limited only by the amount of CF and/or the cap on it. 12% (items alone)-17% with scribe just slightly above 1 in 6 spells will go off on average at 17% uninterrupted. (one spell can be too much)

They brought in the Arena because people still enjoyed dueling (if not for that, what was the purpose for it?)... Then they killed the Arena with four things (or lack thereof):

1) Accessibility (If there could be a way to cross-shard arena people, that would have been Great... It's a little late now though, because of 2,3, & 4...)
2) Casting Focus.
3) Poison Immunity.
4) No Leaderboard.

The Arena TC shard was pretty popular when it came out... Hell even I played that more than I played any real shards, It was literally the only time since I started playing UO I have EVER played TC more than any normal Shard

With more RNG in Mage duels = The less fun they become. Otherwise people would have had more Dexer duels, and they would still be popular... =X

I don't think they should remove Casting Focus from the game, but it should be Completely Removed from PvP.
Casting Focus could be changed to "Balance" mages with dexers in Pvm reasons being
1: You can't see what NPC's cast until it's already happening.
2: NPC's are not interruptible anyway.

by Changing the intensity at which Casting Focus spawns on items to match say... LRC, so instead of ranging 1-3% it would spawn in ranges of 5-25% Also increasing the cap on CF at 100%... spell-interruption is the biggest reason Dexers are far better at pvm.