• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege Perilous: My Experience so Far.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen a lot of posts here on stratics, from various people, about the Siege Perilous shard. I thought about trying it for about a month or so now, and I started about 1 week ago. So far, the experience has been fantastic. The majority of the people I've come into contact with have been very cool to me: getting me a full spell book, giving me information on how the shard works versus production shards, etc.

One guild in particular went above and beyond when it came to helping me - Gilfane. These guys and gals welcomed me to Siege, invited me into their guild, and did so much for me, like getting my character the appropriate power scrolls, a basic (but nice) LRC suit, and even getting me a Small Stone Keep!

I was somewhat taken back when I found out that there are many players on Siege that do mainly PvM & very little PvP. This was a nice revelation because PvM is my strong-point & I suck at PvP.

I love the skill gain system on Siege, Rate over Time (RoT). I found that it's great for harder skills (taming, poisoning for example) and skills that require grinding lots of resources, like Blacksmithing & Tailoring. For other skills such as Musicianship & Meditation, it's a tad time consuming - but overall, I'm happy with it.

I like the fact that there is no item insurance because it levels the playing field quite nicely; where each player can only "Bless" one magic item at a time; using the "Siege Bless Item" from the player's context menu. Great Lakes is still my home shard (for now), and I can play there until my heart's content. But Siege is a nice change of pace.

The character that I started there was a copy of my primary character on Great Lakes; a Tamer/Disco-bard. His name is, Naz'ghoul Mortis. His template is going to be:

120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Discord
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary

After about one week on Siege, I've focused mainly on training Taming and Animal Lore. My current skill is: 101.0 Animal Lore & 102.5 Taming.

The community on Siege is very tight. It's more about the community spirit then items and gold. There have been only a few players that were unfriendly; mostly players from production shards that have an axe to grind for whatever reason.

If you're thinking about trying Siege Perilous, I have a couple of suggestions:
- Don't come with a chip on your shoulder.
- Don't come to try and prove something; whatever that may be.
- Be friendly & personable.

Also, be prepared to get:
- Stolen from.
- PKed.
- Dry-looted.
- Rez-killed.

At some point in time, these things WILL happen to you, so mentally prepare for it.

Well, that's it from me. I thank again, all those who made my time on Siege enjoyable & I will remain a constant fixture on the shard. Cya in game!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen a lot of posts here on stratics, from various people, about the Siege Perilous shard. I thought about trying it for about a month or so now, and I started about 1 week ago. So far, the experience has been fantastic. The majority of the people I've come into contact with have been very cool to me: getting me a full spell book, giving me information on how the shard works versus production shards, etc.

One guild in particular went above and beyond when it came to helping me - Gilfane. These guys and gals welcomed me to Siege, invited me into their guild, and did so much for me, like getting my character the appropriate power scrolls, a basic (but nice) LRC suit, and even getting me a Small Stone Keep!

I was somewhat taken back when I found out that there are many players on Siege that do mainly PvM & very little PvP. This was a nice revelation because PvM is my strong-point & I suck at PvP.

I love the skill gain system on Siege, Rate over Time (RoT). I found that it's great for harder skills (taming, poisoning for example) and skills that require grinding lots of resources, like Blacksmithing & Tailoring. For other skills such as Musicianship & Meditation, it's a tad time consuming - but overall, I'm happy with it.

I like the fact that there is no item insurance because it levels the playing field quite nicely; where each player can only "Bless" one magic item at a time; using the "Siege Bless Item" from the player's context menu. Great Lakes is still my home shard (for now), and I can play there until my heart's content. But Siege is a nice change of pace.

The character that I started there was a copy of my primary character on Great Lakes; a Tamer/Disco-bard. His name is, Naz'ghoul Mortis. His template is going to be:

120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Discord
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary

After about one week on Siege, I've focused mainly on training Taming and Animal Lore. My current skill is: 101.0 Animal Lore & 102.5 Taming.

The community on Siege is very tight. It's more about the community spirit then items and gold. There have been only a few players that were unfriendly; mostly players from production shards that have an axe to grind for whatever reason.

If you're thinking about trying Siege Perilous, I have a couple of suggestions:
- Don't come with a chip on your shoulder.
- Don't come to try and prove something; whatever that may be.
- Be friendly & personable.

- Stolen from.
- PKed.
- Dry-looted.
- Rez-killed.

At some point in time, these things WILL happen to you, so mentally prepare for it.

Well, that's it from me. I thank again, all those who made my time on Siege enjoyable & I will remain a constant fixture on the shard. Cya in game!
I have been gone from Siege for several weeks, glad you are having a good time. Death and losing things now and then is a part of Siege and as you point out most are decent people even the PKs, there are exceptions of course.

Bearclaw

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I started playing Siege this past spring and have had a very similar experience to what you've described. Previously I've played Catskills since UO started. I still log into Cats periodically, but I predominantly play Siege now.

Glad your enjoying it and welcome to Siege.

Starcon of Siege

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks for your post Naz'ghoul. I'm glad you like our shard and will stay with us for long.

And you right, Siege is not just a PvP shard. You will find all kind of playtypes on Siege, Crafters, Treasure Hunters, Tamers, PvM'ers, Roleplayers, Thieves both PvP and PvM, PvP'ers, mostly in VvV but a few red too.

I believe, what make Siege special is, we all have to live together, as all facets are open for PvP. Sure is scare the hell out of some new Siege players, that there are no safe places to hunt but also here you gave the right advice "be prepared", I can add to that, be sure you have a backup suit, it make it much easier to die, when you don't have to run naked around seaching vendors for a new suit, the moment you are in new gear, you will feel much better. If you can't afford losing your best suit, leave it home until you can afford it.

Also, if you should get:
- Stolen from. Try to put up some RP and interact with the thief, like when a thief stole my crafters blue hammer, I yelled at him in Gen Chat, asking him how he expected me to serve my customers without my hammer. He RP'ed back and I ended up getting my hammer back. Most thieves respect RP
- PKed. It may not be so bad as it first seem. Show your ghost, maybe the PK will offer a rez or tell you to find a healer. Don't try to loot before the PK is done. Again a little RP may changes everything and he may let you keep most.
- Dry-looted. Here I would ask you, did you do anything to make the PK mad at you? Also, did you go back to body after the PK was gone, or did you just expect to be dry looted? Yes I know, even Siege may have a few, who will dry loot but they are very few.
- Rez-killed. Most who get rez-killed try to loot their body before the PK are done or start to yell at the PK and blame him for killing you. A good advice is to act polite and don't try to loot before he allow you.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for your post Naz'ghoul. I'm glad you like our shard and will stay with us for long.

And you right, Siege is not just a PvP shard. You will find all kind of playtypes on Siege, Crafters, Treasure Hunters, Tamers, PvM'ers, Roleplayers, Thieves both PvP and PvM, PvP'ers, mostly in VvV but a few red too.

I believe, what make Siege special is, we all have to live together, as all facets are open for PvP. Sure is scare the hell out of some new Siege players, that there are no safe places to hunt but also here you gave the right advice "be prepared", I can add to that, be sure you have a backup suit, it make it much easier to die, when you don't have to run naked around seaching vendors for a new suit, the moment you are in new gear, you will feel much better. If you can't afford losing your best suit, leave it home until you can afford it.

Also, if you should get:
- Stolen from. Try to put up some RP and interact with the thief, like when a thief stole my crafters blue hammer, I yelled at him in Gen Chat, asking him how he expected me to serve my customers without my hammer. He RP'ed back and I ended up getting my hammer back. Most thieves respect RP
- PKed. It may not be so bad as it first seem. Show your ghost, maybe the PK will offer a rez or tell you to find a healer. Don't try to loot before the PK is done. Again a little RP may changes everything and he may let you keep most.
- Dry-looted. Here I would ask you, did you do anything to make the PK mad at you? Also, did you go back to body after the PK was gone, or did you just expect to be dry looted? Yes I know, even Siege may have a few, who will dry loot but they are very few.
- Rez-killed. Most who get rez-killed try to loot their body before the PK are done or start to yell at the PK and blame him for killing you. A good advice is to act polite and don't try to loot before he allow you.
UOs version of victim blaming? Good grief.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOs version of victim blaming? Good grief.
Yeah, pretty stupid. People who pk you don't deserve your politeness, and they should in no way expect it.

Fun tips to annoy people who kill you! Carry 50 stone items. Carry 100 lose crap items, dye any you can with the appropriate dye tub so they can't tell which was your suit. Combine the two and you might even get them killed from being OL. Either way, it gives you a chance to get resed and stealth back in before they loot your suit if they have to pick through your garbage.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have nothing against siege. Anything that makes players so passionate is obviously a good thing. Unfortunately many of us including myself don't play uo to kill or be killed by other players. Not fun at all in my personal opinion. Not saying others don't enjoy it, just not my cup of tea.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yeah, pretty stupid. People who pk you don't deserve your politeness, and they should in no way expect it.
Maybe not, but it your choice if you want the PK to be nice to you or want to be dry looted. Being polite may spare you some items. My advices works :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have nothing against siege. Anything that makes players so passionate is obviously a good thing. Unfortunately many of us including myself don't play uo to kill or be killed by other players. Not fun at all in my personal opinion. Not saying others don't enjoy it, just not my cup of tea.
That's fair enough but really what's the diff from kill or get kill of monsters.
On Siege we do have Dark Wisps roaming the land and trust me, they kill more newbies than PK's do, they also rez kill, they guard your corpes and sometimes they gank too. PK's on Siege is way more nice :p

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eric, the way you introduced yourself on Siege was fantastic. I can sign everything you wrote. SP is a wonderful place if you just concentrate on having fun and enjoying friendship and community. If you fo it right, no PK will ever get you. They never got me ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's what she tells us every day. Blame the victims ;)
That depend of the case. If a thief steal from you, and you get mad and start blaming you for stealing from him, you give him exactly what he want, the joy from making you mad and he will keep annoying you. If you act different, I like I would do, Say *Slap finger* or ask him nicely if you can buy back or put up some RP it will effect how he act vs you.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I appreciate the OP and his positive experience. To each their own.

To me, "warm, caring community" and "be prepared to be PK'd, res-killed, and dry-looted" don't go together.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That depend of the case. If a thief steal from you, and you get mad and start blaming you for stealing from him, you give him exactly what he want, the joy from making you mad and he will keep annoying you. If you act different, I like I would do, Say *Slap finger* or ask him nicely if you can buy back or put up some RP it will effect how he act vs you.
With thieves I agree. Many good experiences! We have some nice thieves :)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the OP and his positive experience. To each their own.

To me, "warm, caring community" and "be prepared to be PK'd, res-killed, and dry-looted" don't go together.
I does. They just separate a bit

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe he do mean, it is a good thing to remember the risk, even when the community are a "warm, caring community", if you feel to safe and forget the risk, you may run around in gear, you can't afford losing.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
With thieves I agree. Many good experiences! We have some nice thieves :)
PK's are not much different, they too want the joy from seeing you mad, and if you are polite, you don't give them what they want. How you act, when you get PK'ed, do effect how the PK act vs you after you get rezzed.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and asses are on all shards. Tbh, the ass-density on SP is very low compared to other shards.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
: Gilfane is indeed a warm, caring community. The golden rule on SP is: Make the right choices when it comes to guilds!

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...and asses are on all shards. Tbh, the ass-density on SP is very low compared to other shards.
On this we agree, I will let you in Peace, when it comes to PK's, someday, you may understand what I'm saying, Peace out :p

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also, if you should get:
The bottom four pieces of advice apply to anyone playing in Felucca. I observed the above and in my many hours [back in the day] of paying that facet I only ever had a few complete idiots to deal with. SHow respect. Dont be a sore loser. Dont get upset. It only makes matters worse. Nice post

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair Doc, the last round of PKs were not the sharpest tools hanging in the shed, easily avoided using basic CHEEZ 101 :)

Then there are the economic consequences of being a PK, does not take long for word to spread and 80% or more of the shard won't do business with you. Unlike prodo reputation means something on Siege and getting cut out of the economic loop makes it difficult at best to play on Siege. PK is fine just expect after a while to get EK'd (Economically Killed). Actions have consequences on Siege both positive and negative :)

There was a time when it was easy to be a PK, and then us sheep learned the PKs really have no power at all, the sheep hold ALL of the real power on Siege :)

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
- Stolen from.
- PKed.
- Dry-looted.
- Rez-killed.

^^ everything UO is all about :D

I tried Siege but unfortunately didnt have the same experience(but I guess it was my fault for not loggin in frequently since I found a veeery nice guild on my shard - Atlantic)

One thing that I really liked when I was there is that I found ppl to be veeeery friendly, everyone that I found on Luna bank(even Pks) started a normal talk and encouraged me to continue playing. Also, you dont see trash talk on the general chat like on Atlantic for example...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe not, but it your choice if you want the PK to be nice to you or want to be dry looted. Being polite may spare you some items. My advices works :)
Screw the PK. The PK was already not nice to me at our first interaction, i.e. he PKed me. Why should I, the victim of this person's selfish attack, treat said attacker with kindness? Forget the potential materialistic motivation of getting my items back (who cares, really), I'm talking philosophically. This person has just killed me, and now I'm expected to say "Oh, pretty please Mr. PK, I'm so sorry for getting my blood all over your sword, can you see it in your vast mercy to give me back the items you stole from me, when you killed me?"

********. I'd rather lose a million suits.

PKS are BADGUYS. They do not deserve, nor should they expect to be treated with kindness. They should expect to have their names cursed. These are murderers we're talking about here!

This all of course is ignoring the fact that 9/10 (though that 1/10 is really just theoretical) pks will run in, kill you, loot, and run off in complete silence, because they aren't looking to interact with you beyond getting some lols and taking your ****.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bottom four pieces of advice apply to anyone playing in Felucca. I observed the above and in my many hours [back in the day] of paying that facet I only ever had a few complete idiots to deal with. SHow respect. Dont be a sore loser. Dont get upset. It only makes matters worse. Nice post
Nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I don't care when I get killed at all, (I just leave and re-gear, or log), but the idea that it's up to ME to be nice in this situation is pure BS. You don't deserve to be treated nicely when you PK people.

The only way I feel like anyone should even bother to interact with a pk is when they are obviously pking you for RP reasons, because that might be interesting, and they might actually be interested conversation, or something more than kill/loot/find the next. Of course, that really never happens anymore.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The victim is not at fault. Is it a poor decision to get mad when someone initiates a negative interaction with you? Absolutely, but even if you choose to, that doesn't then make the situation your responsibility. The person at fault is the person who started the negative interaction.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hehe, that's because you are not me and do not act like me. Lets stop taking over Naz'ghoul's thread with this old debat, se you just not see things the same way as me :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont see how anyone could play siege with the current skill gain system. i really want to make a new character on siege and play there, but its just un-realistic.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember, this is a game, not a philosophical debate about right & wrong. It's just a game. I'm a pure trammie, through and through. Until I was able to change my perception of how I "should interact" with certain types of players (blues, pks, thieves, etc), I was doomed to stay in my old mindset of black and white thinking, when it came to this topic. Nothing, and I mean Nothing in this world is just black or white; most stuff lies in the middle of each extreme - the grey area. Don't think I'm trying to talk you into playing Siege or pvp'ing - I was simply describing my experience on the shard.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And your experience was mine too. And the skillgain-system is fine as it is :)

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i dont see how anyone could play siege with the current skill gain system. i really want to make a new character on siege and play there, but its just un-realistic.
Exactly. The ROT system is a horrific nightmare. I also would like to play there, but I don't want to spend a year just to train a character

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And your experience was mine too. And the skillgain-system is fine as it is :)
its really not, its a huge barrier to many players. i asked around and there is no way to buy sots, and working out the math with the 15 mins thing it would just be impossible to train a character in a reasonable amount of time (unless you afk macro for over 4 days straight, or maybe are retired and have tons of free time)

im just saying its a shame, because i know for a fact the skill gain problem is a bigger deterrent to players than no insurance.

15 years ago things were different, players were younger. it was exciting jut to be online (in any game). we all spent lots of time playing characters. i just cant see more than a handful playing UO now being able to make the massive time commitment required just to have a fully trained character.

introduce normal skill gain, or possibly sell skill pinks on the UO store or npc vendor and im sure many more people would play siege. i know i would.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just checked vendor search. there are several SoTs for sale for various skills. In particular, there was a .1 Taming SoT for 10k. Usually 100k per .1 on GL.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are, Fridgster. And mostly, skills are easier to train on Siege than they are on prodo because you get a guaranteed gain for each skill every 5-15 minutes. Unless you are violating RoC by training skills with afk macro programs on prodo for hours on end, instead. I guess that'd make it easier. Of course, a little ingenuity would allow the same thing (4-5 skills at a time, at that) on Siege.

I mostly play production shards but Siege is fun. It is like UO on easy mode. For me, anyway. Others find it harder. *shrugs*

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way I feel like anyone should even bother to interact with a pk is when they are obviously pking you for RP reasons, because that might be interesting, and they might actually be interested conversation, or something more than kill/loot/find the next. Of course, that really never happens anymore.
If you are playing "evil" I can guarantee it still happens if you run into me... and in fairness to Freja and the Dark Outlaws, if they PK you, they do so in rp fashion and for rp reasons.... ie the Queen of Outlaws requires blood from her victims (and also for this reason - doesn't loot you or if so lightly).

So although she might be broadly defending PK's that don't fit this mold, and whom I agree don't deserve it, she and TDO are the "good" type of evil that encourages interaction both dialog and combat.

-Lore

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just checked vendor search. there are several SoTs for sale for various skills. In particular, there was a .1 Taming SoT for 10k. Usually 100k per .1 on GL.
im looking for 30 points of archery or throwing if you know anyone selling.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might be mistaken but aren't advanced character tokens allowed on siege?
yes, but getting to 70 is easy (i realize advanced takes you to 85)

my calculations after buying a mythic token (90 skill)
90 to 120 would take over 6 days of continuous afk macroing
lets assume someone does something other than UO for 12 hours a day (eat / sleep / etc)
now we are up to a little over 6 days of doing nothing but log into UO every 15 mins for the gain.
thats 300 logins, after spending the real life cash for a mythic token.

that just isnt fun for me, and why many people cant play siege.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, but getting to 70 is easy (i realize advanced takes you to 85)

my calculations after buying a mythic token (90 skill)
90 to 120 would take over 6 days of continuous afk macroing
lets assume someone does something other than UO for 12 hours a day (eat / sleep / etc)
now we are up to a little over 6 days of doing nothing but log into UO every 15 mins for the gain.
thats 300 logins, after spending the real life cash for a mythic token.

that just isnt fun for me, and why many people cant play siege.
Guess that is one way to look at it, but there is something to be said for actually playing the game and getting gains as you go.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
its really not, its a huge barrier to many players. i asked around and there is no way to buy sots, and working out the math with the 15 mins thing it would just be impossible to train a character in a reasonable amount of time (unless you afk macro for over 4 days straight, or maybe are retired and have tons of free time)

im just saying its a shame, because i know for a fact the skill gain problem is a bigger deterrent to players than no insurance.

15 years ago things were different, players were younger. it was exciting jut to be online (in any game). we all spent lots of time playing characters. i just cant see more than a handful playing UO now being able to make the massive time commitment required just to have a fully trained character.

introduce normal skill gain, or possibly sell skill pinks on the UO store or npc vendor and im sure many more people would play siege. i know i would.
Siege would definitely be my new favorite shard if the skill gains were normal. With the way things are now, I don't even bother playing there.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess that is one way to look at it, but there is something to be said for actually playing the game and getting gains as you go.
i would say the exact opposite. siege encourages you to play the game even less than normal shards.

on normal shards the best way to gain skill is to play continuously. actually playing the game.

on siege the best way to gain skill is to hit 1 button every 15 mins. i would not call that actually playing the game.

i guess there is something that could be said about it, but nothing rational, fun, or that would make any sense.

but to each there own, i always see people here talking about the lack of players, and the skill gain system of siege is one major reason there are very few players. since this thread is about experiences on siege, im explaining my experience there and problems im facing when considering playing there.

I do really like the idea of siege, and at this point in the game it would probably a be good match for me. the last horizon if you will. but not being able to train a character is just a massive barrier that the more i ask around, and the more i think about just is looking worse and worse.

Last edited: