• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remove Trap skill is highly under-powered

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
while i realize that 90% of the UO player base does not use remove trap it would be nice if they fixed it or scaled it better so that the 5 of us that actually HAVE the skill can get some use out of it.

ill explain.

so you have 6 boxes all lined up that are locked and trapped.
player 1 is a pure form crate thief - he has lockpicking, detect hidden, remove trap
player 2 is a T Hunter - he has lockpicking.

player 2 picks the chest, casts telekinesis on the chest loots, move on to the next, all 6 chests are open in 10 seconds.
player 1 picks the chest, detects the chest, waits 8 seconds, remove trap, fail but didnt go off, wait 10 seconds, remove trap, fail but it didnt go off, wait 10 seconds, remove trap, fail, dead or very close to it but chances are dead.
all 6 chests are done in 5 and a half minutes with 2 resurrections.

so my question is why are we punishing the player that actually has the skill!
that player has taken the time to train the skill and is using the skill why is his game play so nefed???
im not saying we have to kill the T hunters who are using telekinesis, heavens forbid we should change that, no, but what i am saying is remove trap needs to be FIXED!
fixed so that is works better.
if you have 100 remove trap skill why are we failing?
9 out of 10 attempts to remove a trap fail.
how the heck is that Grand Master level removing traps?
at GM remove traps traps should be so afraid of me that they unlock themselves as i approach them in fear of my nimble fingers!!!!!

seriously though, at GM remove trap you should not fail.
telekinesis never fails and its only a level 3 magic spell.

its only been 19 years, fix it already!
good gravy!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have remove traps and others skills that aren't worth having/using, stored away. I would hate to have to have remove traps on a t hunter. just don't have the room for it. I also remember building remove traps, and getting a lot of gray robes lol

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i hear you guys loud and clear!
i too have T-Hunters that rely on tele to clear the boxes.
thats why i think Remove Trap needs a massive bump to get it back up and going and useful!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
while i realize that 90% of the UO player base does not use remove trap it would be nice if they fixed it or scaled it better so that the 5 of us that actually HAVE the skill can get some use out of it.

ill explain.

so you have 6 boxes all lined up that are locked and trapped.
player 1 is a pure form crate thief - he has lockpicking, detect hidden, remove trap
player 2 is a T Hunter - he has lockpicking.

player 2 picks the chest, casts telekinesis on the chest loots, move on to the next, all 6 chests are open in 10 seconds.
player 1 picks the chest, detects the chest, waits 8 seconds, remove trap, fail but didnt go off, wait 10 seconds, remove trap, fail but it didnt go off, wait 10 seconds, remove trap, fail, dead or very close to it but chances are dead.
all 6 chests are done in 5 and a half minutes with 2 resurrections.

so my question is why are we punishing the player that actually has the skill!
that player has taken the time to train the skill and is using the skill why is his game play so nefed???
im not saying we have to kill the T hunters who are using telekinesis, heavens forbid we should change that, no, but what i am saying is remove trap needs to be FIXED!
fixed so that is works better.
if you have 100 remove trap skill why are we failing?
9 out of 10 attempts to remove a trap fail.
how the heck is that Grand Master level removing traps?
at GM remove traps traps should be so afraid of me that they unlock themselves as i approach them in fear of my nimble fingers!!!!!

seriously though, at GM remove trap you should not fail.
telekinesis never fails and its only a level 3 magic spell.

its only been 19 years, fix it already!
good gravy!
Also the skill requirement needs to be removed. It's so stupid that you need TWO HUNDRED skill points to GM remove trap, a 100% useless skill.

100 RT should not fail, should not unhide, should get bonus loot in chests.

Reactions: Poo

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stone the skill as its been classed a useless skill in the past with Taste ID, Camping, etc...... and use magery instead.
I know you want to use that skill you have trained up and want to use its full potential but if they were to touch it or fix it, we would be going back, its hard enough to get all the skills on a T Hunter, now having to add Remove trap to it to be able to open a chest. Just cast a spell and open the chest, no need to wait minutes per chest as you say, quick cast and be on your way, not saying make the game easy but less grind and time waste please.
About RT giving more loot in chests, well that could be a step maybe but a real maybe IMO, as most T hunters if its level 6/7 map, will use a skeleton key no nothing is lost.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yeah sadly this skill is worthless, why fix something that works well with a Mage and gives you threaded benefit of healing and all the other Mage spells.

The only reason I ever used it was on my thief in factions and that wasn't very often either.

You'd think they'd make it useful just like tasteid should give a boost to cooking and ItemId to crafting.

Don't see that happening though.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I can tell your still very passionate about this subject since you've brought it up in the past and the poll you did had a 59% approval to "leave it - its been like this for 18 years why change it now". Now I agree it's "poor form" and they should revamp the skill with added buffs but until then it's telekinesis all the way :D

i know this stance is not going to go over well with the community but i have to say it.
allowing people to remove traps from a treasure chest with telekinesis is poor form.
while i use it myself on my T-Hunter i have always felt that the continued allowing of this bug takes away from the game.

let me explain.
they put lockpicking into the game. you need to use lockpicking to pick open treasure chests.
they put detect hidden into the game. you need to use detect hidden to see the traps on chests.
they put remove trap skill into the game and we use a level 3 magic spell to circumvent using this skill.

what from the above is logical and follows the games flow?
definitely not allowing the use of telekinesis.

now i know a lot of you are gonna argue this and that is totally cool, but keep in mind we are missing a fundamental part of the game, we are bypassing a base skill.
we have a skill that you need 100 points into to use and no one other then RP people and old faction people have worked because it can be replaced with a spell that costs you 12gp to buy.
that is a tragedy to the game mechanics.

now, far be it for me to come in here waggling a finger at the masses and not having at least some sort of remedy, so lets move onto what could or should be done to fix this issue.
what i am going to suggest is this - and please by all means post fixes that you guys may have.
i think that telekinesis should be scaled back to only work on doors and low level chests (say level 1-2). my opinion is if you want to treasure hunt and get the loot you should have to invest the points to be able to do so.
there should be a reward for investing 100 points into this skill.

now, are they going to do the above, absolutely not.
the time to fix this bug came and went 18 years ago (hmm but they did randomize mining veins after how many years...... maybe there is hope for this bug?)
using telekinesis is so ingrained into our game play its never going to leave.
but i think they should scale it back.
if you use telekinesis they should make it so you loose 1/2 of the chests loot right off the top due to the use of 'explosive magics' or make it so Grubbers - say 5 of them - scatter with some loot when you use telekinesis.
make it so there is a benefit to having and using the remove trap skill.

we all complain that there are dead skills in the game, so i say they revamp remove trap so it is once again alive.

what about other old skills that are dead?
taste ID - why not have it so if you have this skill and cooking or alchemy the stuff you make is better or lasts longer ect ect.
item ID - why not have it so if you have this skill anything you sell you get more gold for. if you have it on a imbuer you get more relics back when you unravel. why not add a new weapon/armor attribute (like brittle/prizes/antique) that you can only decipher if you have item ID and arms lore thus adding another hidden item out on that item?

its time to bring the dead skills back i think.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I had GM Forensics for awhile. Wasn't very useful, though. I play the game we have, not the game we don't have. So stone those skills and pick up something else.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had GM Forensics for awhile. Wasn't very useful, though. I play the game we have, not the game we don't have. So stone those skills and pick up something else.
I actually found one thing GM forensics is still useful for. On Atlantic, it's common for thieves to use a disguise kit to join a guild under a false name with the intent of robbing it. They do this because even though the disguise kit wears off and their name goes back to normal, the guild roster still displays the disguise kit name permanently which makes it difficult to remove them because it's hard to tell exactly which guildie is the one robbing people when the names don't match up correctly on the roster.

When you use Forensic on someone it tells you whether or not they are in the NPC thief guild (which is necessary to rob other players) so I started checking all new recruits with GM Forensic to make sure they weren't a thief using a disguise kit. It worked and I was able to keep about 15 thieves out of the guild.

The great part is that if they soulstone off stealing it automatically forces them to quit the NPC thief guild, making them harmless since they have to be in that to rob players. They also cannot re-join the NPC thief guild while they are in a player guild, so they would have to quit the guild entirely to be able to rob players again.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GM Forensics is also very useful in raising the Honesty virtue. I have it and it gives you the exact NPC in a city to turn in those lost items for raising Honesty. It doesn't take long to get to Knight of Honesty and I save a bundle buying those expensive Stasis Chamber Power Cores. ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The great part is that if they soulstone off stealing it automatically forces them to quit the NPC thief guild, making them harmless since they have to be in that to rob players. They also cannot re-join the NPC thief guild while they are in a player guild, so they would have to quit the guild entirely to be able to rob players again.
Where is this written ?

And to the OPs post, give a loot bonus on spawning chests to Pure chest pickers. I would much rather roam around in dungeons picking spawning chests with Lock/Detect/Remove..but 500 gp, a heal pot and 10 arrows ? really ?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Where is this written ?
I don't think it's written anywhere, I found out accidentally by experimenting with my own thief character to see what they could and couldn't do to get into the guild. It might even be a bug for all I know.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what happened to "pops" who use to be the one bringing up these issues?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i was gone for 5 weeks and no one noticed.
bastards.