• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who would like to see Blackthorn dethroned?

Would you like to see Blackthorn dethroned?

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the Developers had to make someone king. Why choose Blackthorn? Even his Castle screams evil. Blackthorn was the poster child for Chaos. I've read the fiction it still doesn't make him a good choice. Since, Factions has been killed why not go with Dupre, or another figure from Ultima Lore.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dupre was present at Blackthorn coronation.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I kinda miss Casca, he's not dead! He's gone off to brew beer in Ithaca.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the time and what was happening Blackthorn was the best choice and until you can come up with a storyline as to why he should be dethroned because he has done no evil to be dethroned for and as you said he WAS but it not now.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heres my reason. he looks like an alien. i think thats more than enough.

Storyline:
subjects of britainia realized their once robot king looked like an alien from outer space. upon further inspection he was an alien, so they killed him. the end. next king please.

id say thats just as good as "he was a robot" officcial lore of why we got blackthorn as king to begin with.

how can this king: rule these people: they dont like they should even be in the same game.
character.png

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All hail the evil and fair King Blackthorn!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dethroned and De-boned...anyone have a filleting knife handy?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about NO King and make it all individual kingdoms with the Governors acting as king of their region. Add all of the Cities without Governors to the list with new kingdoms. Integrate VVV into it and kingdoms that can trade or war with each other. Instead of factions you swear loyalty to your kingdom. Say the kingdom of Minoc has a dispute with the kingdom of Vesper the two could negotiate a peace deal or go to war making the citizens of each orange to each other. Ok just my rambling evening thoughts..........

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
King Blackthorn was never evil in our timeline + Chaos does not = evil

Chaos was to prevent everyone from following the Virtues since everyone following the Virtues would = every shard being merged together back into Sosaria Prime. This of course, would result in the complete genocide of countless people. Since the timelines all diverged from the shattering you have different people who were born thanks to the divergent timeline. Those who didnt exist in the prime world would be completely erased from reality.

What has our Blackthorn ever done that was wrong?

(Aint the Character's fault it was retconned into the Evil version being a doppelganger created by Exodus to seed distrust and destruction amongst us. In the retcon, Blackthorn was merely captured after he tried to do a suicide mission to defeat Exodus himself. After that he helped cure the Gargoyle's + used his power to fix the Honor moongate)

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
How about NO King and make it all individual kingdoms with the Governors acting as king of their region. Add all of the Cities without Governors to the list with new kingdoms. Integrate VVV into it and kingdoms that can trade or war with each other. Instead of factions you swear loyalty to your kingdom. Say the kingdom of Minoc has a dispute with the kingdom of Vesper the two could negotiate a peace deal or go to war making the citizens of each orange to each other. Ok just my rambling evening thoughts..........

Uh, no!

Enziet

Journeyman
Sometimes I miss the Order / Chaos. But they are gone, it's time to move on. Blackthorn is fine. If there is a new king, it's hard to imagine who it could be. The story can be written however they want at this point on as there hasn't been new lore injected into the story in how many years now??

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could always go with the apocryphal Lady British...

*throws up a little in her mouth*

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If we were to replace the evil and fair King Blackthorn, the benevolent, Shamino would be the only proper replacement.
Why is our King Blackthorn evil?

Can anyone who keeps calling him evil please explain?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Why is our King Blackthorn evil?

Can anyone who keeps calling him evil please explain?
He has a dungeon filled with monsters and daemons on his basement! And enslaved golden elementals to forge currency with their bodies!
That is the epitome of evil!

I sword loyalty to his evil throne, though. :D

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He has a dungeon filled with monsters and daemons on his basement! And enslaved golden elementals to forge currency with their bodies!
That is the epitome of evil!

I sword loyalty to his evil throne, though. :D
They're there because he diverted Minax's invasion army someplace they could be contained, instead of continuing to trash the Crown Cities. So not an evil act. In fact, its arguably one of Sacrifice since he essentially lost his dungeon/basement.

Also, consider that, according to the fiction, Lord British had Nystul callously overwrite whatever originally existed on the Trammel facet in favor of a copy of Felucca...which he cowardly abandoned to Minax. Then he left the planet without properly securing its future, the throne, or his dubious legacy. (Now he's off bilking peasants with the real estate scam of New Britannia...)

LB is demonstrably more of a bastage.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That doesn't make slaving golden elementals to make gold coins to feed the royal treasure any less evil, though. :p
Or burning a lot of gold to build himself a very luxurious castle while the crown cities burned, fought each other and people starved. That investment only benefited Britain, and Britain already had a very nice looking castle that was vacant for a new regent.

He is still my favourite regent in UO lore. Despite his obvious evilness, he is trying to do his best for Sosaria, unlike LB. Casca and Dawn seemed to be pretty weak as regents.
As for LB, not only he abandoned Felucca, he also pulled a "Brave, Brave Sir Robin" on us and abandoned Sosaria in times of trouble. He bravely ran away from trouble.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im pretty sure Heckles built the Castle, not Blackthorn

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DOWN WITH THE PRETENDER!! DOWN I SAYS
: Hauls a wooden crate full of torches and exceptionally crafted pitchforks, bless -spell expires and he gets stuck mid-way to crowd awkwardly
LB,
You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

Would be nice if devs just bend knee and kissed the ring, asking Garriot if it'd not be ok to have Lord British rule Britannia once more. There'd be some PR value to it even. Could have entire mini-expansion around it. Ofc, Garriot might say nay just as well..

Lore-wise, LB has been kinda torn to pieces by the whole awful steampunk phase of LBR and whatnot.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would be nice if devs just bend knee and kissed the ring, asking Garriot if it'd not be ok to have Lord British rule Britannia once more. There'd be some PR value to it even. Could have entire mini-expansion around it. Ofc, Garriot might say nay just as well..
They did that for the 17th Anniversary party on TC1. Garriott and Long reprised their roles, as LB and Blackthorn respectively, and it was a debacle.

Enziet

Journeyman
They did that for the 17th Anniversary party on TC1. Garriott and Long reprised their roles, as LB and Blackthorn respectively, and it was a debacle.
Ugh... As much as I enjoy their new game, they could have really done this event much better.Not shamelessly plug their new IP into their old IP in an attempt to sway people...

As I've said before. BT is fine. But they really can start writing new story for the game whenever they want to... preferably sooner rather then later.