• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Removing Lord British's Castle

jill

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its been a very long time since we saw Lord British and I just curious about the opinions if Lord British's castle met its end and maybe was replaced with something different in Britain. Its not like he moved to another game or anything like that! heh

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

He's not impressed right now... saying "Off with his Head!!!". The queens not happy either with you comments...

upload_2016-8-3_17-3-25.png

Hehe :p

His castle should remain regardless, he's the creator of our realm and he will always be our king!

Last edited:

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its been a very long time since we saw Lord British and I just curious about the opinions if Lord British's castle met its end and maybe was replaced with something different in Britain. Its not like he moved to another game or anything like that! heh
Maybe he's in another game and you don't know about it?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's Sherry's Castle now! I think I actually would've preferred Sherry as the new monarch. I fought alongside her in events while with Blackthorne, I was usually cleaning up whatever mess he made. Even now, Blackthorne's basement is pretty unruly.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We saw LB two years ago at the 17th Anniversary event on TC1. You know, the event where Garriott and Long couldn't be bothered to stay in character or NOT shamefully plug their cash-grab of a game, and where Minax (as played by Mesanna) ROTFLOL'd "in character."

I know most people have blocked that :facepalm:-worthy event out, but it did happen.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
It's Sherry's Castle now! I think I actually would've preferred Sherry as the new monarch. I fought alongside her in events while with Blackthorne, I was usually cleaning up whatever mess he made. Even now, Blackthorne's basement is pretty unruly.
Let just say she is the caretaker of it for now. I do miss the days of meeting there for events. My last time in the castle was when Queen Dawn was here.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just wish they'd remove that pillar behind the King's chair in Blackthorn's castle. You know, the one that makes it impossible for the audience to hear both sides of the room. The royal architects really need to consider acoustics before committing.

jill

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There could be an evil person from another shard (dimension) who seeks to destroy all that Lrd. British stands for.. Destroying the castle grounds in a fight. Then they get to rebuild it into a gypsy trailer park. hehe

Enziet

Journeyman
I have to agree. Just leave it there. Maybe a new family moves in eventually, or we hold a semi yearly king of Sosaria event where a player can wear the crown for 6 months before being Pk'd in his bed :coco:

jill

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could give it to the elves.. since they practically dominate Britain, or better yet, let the EM's have that space.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No leave it alone. Period. Everytime they mess with something it gets all ugly. For proof, see New Haven, and New Magincia, and several of us are fairly unimpressed with the new Blackthorn's.
Compared to New Magincia, New Haven is a beautiful cityscape presented in a serene and tasteful fashion. o.0

I'd like to see them redo each Britannian city one by one (WITHOUT MAKING IT A TRAILER PARK!) with the same care and intricacy that was given to Zento. Zento looks downright vibrant when compared to the empty, boxy, unlived-in BLAH look of the original cities.

Hell, even just some plants would help.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make the castle a prison for scripters where they can serve out a sentence like working off murder counts. Only after the time in game has expired can the felon leave the castle. Say 40 hours per offense.........

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Compared to New Magincia, New Haven is a beautiful cityscape presented in a serene and tasteful fashion. o.0

I'd like to see them redo each Britannian city one by one (WITHOUT MAKING IT A TRAILER PARK!) with the same care and intricacy that was given to Zento. Zento looks downright vibrant when compared to the empty, boxy, unlived-in BLAH look of the original cities.

Hell, even just some plants would help.
Oh.... like:

Flowers outside Abbey Origin.png

Found things of this nature on a few shards... sigh or maybe like this:

Oceana Heartwood Entrance.png

Personally I really liked this one:

Sonoma Surrounding Heartwood.png

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why should a castle ever be tied to a person in such a drastic way? To tear down a castle simply because man who sat the throne went MIA? Surely Britannians are more clever and practical than that! People need castles, castles don't need (specific) people.

..Plus imagine if, against all odds, Lord British First of His Name were to return from whatever dimensional journey he is on.. " um..M'lord..about thine Castle.. you see..funny story really..we..uh.. "

And DITTO on old Haven. Who on earth decided to trash it AND replace it with what we have now? Talk about giving horrid first impressions to new players, heh.
Bank area, entire island used to be so much more...inviting in aesthetic terms. New Haven, specially ALL central locations are just pure awful. Plagued by stuff like idiotic NPC quest spam that just doesn't go away, lol.

I can understand ( i guess..) the desire to remake Haven. That is fine. But to remake and replace with such trash??

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why should a castle ever be tied to a person in such a drastic way? To tear down a castle simply because man who sat the throne went MIA? Surely Britannians are more clever and practical than that! People need castles, castles don't need (specific) people.

..Plus imagine if, against all odds, Lord British First of His Name were to return from whatever dimensional journey he is on.. " um..M'lord..about thine Castle.. you see..funny story really..we..uh.. "

And DITTO on old Haven. Who on earth decided to trash it AND replace it with what we have now? Talk about giving horrid first impressions to new players, heh.
Bank area, entire island used to be so much more...inviting in aesthetic terms. New Haven, specially ALL central locations are just pure awful. Plagued by stuff like idiotic NPC quest spam that just doesn't go away, lol.

I can understand ( i guess..) the desire to remake Haven. That is fine. But to remake and replace with such trash??
Beats the Trailerpark they turned Magincia into.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No leave it alone. Period. Everytime they mess with something it gets all ugly. For proof, see New Haven, and New Magincia
I miss Magincia. :(

My favorite UO city, replaced by a player-run eyesore...

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I personally like the new Maginicia well. Concept of it is awesome; Imho all cities should be remade to have some selected player-run spots here and there.Bazaar is such a great, fun addition as well.

...At any rare I feel places like Maginicia are far less important than Haven though. For the game as whole in some objective sense I mean. If ONE city in this game should be of good, excellent design Haven should be that city. It is where returning vets,refugees from free shards and occasional new players make their 1st impression of modern day official shards.

Last edited:

jill

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys are totally right.. New Haven needs a fresh look but also a look that incorporates skill gain for new characters.

New Magincia... yeah, its too remote to have the full bazzaar effect and a lot of the spots on my shard are empty still. (But i do like the huge dock there.. more fishing village and less bazzaar.) hehe

Giggles.. "A Trailer Park", huh.. WHO said that! heheh /looks innocently/

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Something I have learned from both UO and Shroud of the Avatar....

Norrington's law of town design: "If you allow players to live inside of a town, they will create absolutely hideous looking houses and ruin the towns design".

It happened to Luna, Magincia, and just about every town in all of Shroud of the Avatar.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something I have learned from both UO and Shroud of the Avatar....

Norrington's law of town design: "If you allow players to live inside of a town, they will create absolutely hideous looking houses and ruin the towns design".

It happened to Luna, Magincia, and just about every town in all of Shroud of the Avatar.
The only way I could see player housing inside of Official towns would be, if the developers pre-made each house and disabled customization. The Zento square looks pretty trashy on a lot of shards.... In particular the South West Corner of legends Zento :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Something ive learned over the years.... Dont let the current dev team design anything new as far as graphics or worlds are concerned.

If anything lord british needs to come back and kick lord blackthorns butt back to where ever he came from...

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One day I will kill the King Blackthorn character. The next King or Queen will need some place to live. If anything tear down Blackthorn's Castle. The thing looks evil especially his thrown. You can't believe Blackthorn going to uphold the Virtues.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I miss Queen Dawn...

Just saying I liked her better. At any rate Blackthron hasn't done anything to deserve the Evil rep... at least not since his rebirth...

As for how his Castle looks that's all thanks to Mesanna... and I honestly think it belongs in Umbra not in Britain... but that's me. I too think it's out of place and dark looking.... and that throne... looks like male anatomy to many of us... with spikes.

But I suppose it's better than the King who abandoned us in the first place.

And honestly why some people still think the old King was so "wonderful" is beyond me... He's had what at least 2 flops since he left? The current stuff he's doing is cartoonish and not at ALL an MMO. Why he's still praised is beyond me.

What they really need to do is find someone who gives a rats about the game and it's lore and make them King... and hand them the Keys. Let them build a story around a character... etc...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My only real problem with Magincia is all the empty pet vendors. I been shopping on several shards for decent GD and there are shards that have nothing, empty, zero!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
One day I will kill the King Blackthorn character. The next King or Queen will need some place to live. If anything tear down Blackthorn's Castle. The thing looks evil especially his thrown. You can't believe Blackthorn going to uphold the Virtues.
You know, there is a prominent character on one of your shards (Chesapeake) trying to take over the kingdom. You might consider siding with her. ;)