• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ICQ fubar'd

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It seems since forever we've used ICQ as the main means of communications for UO. Even when the gods put a universal chat system into Sosaria, myself and so many others still used ICQ.

I fire it up today, ready to get into some UO gaming, only to be presented with something that looks more like Skype, and ALL my ICQ list-groups and categorizations are gone.

Am not pleased.

Well, I was introduced to the Discord beta chat program - and I like it - so not gonna use ICQ at all.

For the multitude of ppl who know me via ICQ (55948266), please bounce on over to Discord - free and easy to use, don't need to DL anything (can use thru web browser or DL the small, lighter-than-air interface). For others I chat with via Skype (for gaming purposes), I prolly won't use it anymore except for Family and business. Can get to my Discord server via my webpage - clicky my name in my siggy.

Sorry to see ICQ change so drastically. Wish they would've given the option to keep the old interface, but meh, is progress. So many are buckling under the mobile-market. *sigh*

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess we like our obsolete software;p When you start UO, you also start ICQ. When you quit UO, you quit ICQ. I bet UO players make like half of it's modern user base.

Enziet

Journeyman
heh, I still use mIRC to add to the list of those programs. I'm not a huge fan of the new ICQ layout. But with some tweeking it is sufferable until a "classic" skin comes out.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I use Trillian to manage my ICQ stuff.

My ICQ account was horribly messed up for a while. I had to reset it every few messages I sent. Their "customer service" sent me replies that indicated both 1) complete lack of understanding of the problem I was describing and 2) weren't always even complete thoughts.

And yes, the new client is somehow three steps backward from what they had out in 1999. If ICQ wasn't the only thing UO users seem to still use, I'd have ditched it already.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't been able to stand the look of it since like, version 5.1 or something many years ago. Haven't used it since

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I didn't like the new ICQ interface at first, but got used to it pretty quick. It's like most modern chat clients now and I see no need to leave as long as its where most of the traders of UO will be.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my icq did its switch without asking me a month back, hate it, contact list was all messed up and i couldnt find anybody i was looking for.
uninstalled and DLed about a dozen old versions off the net till i found the one i wanted.
unfortunately i now keep getting a full page pop up every couple hours saying my ICQ wants to upgrade itself.
i keep killing it.

not happy.

i hope i can continue to fend off the upgrade until they make the new version more like the old (contact lists, online and offline contacts, groups, ect)

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't been able to find the web based version of ICQ in a while. Anyone know if it's still around?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Jesus, people still use the ICQ client? That thing has been getting nothing but worse with every update for the last 10 years at least. Go get Trillian or something. Wow.

Also WebICQ if you need it. Fair warning, messages sent from it to people who are offline tend to be missed if they're not also using the web version.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I switched to Trillian ages ago but now since it is all fubared too because of Microsofts F-up to my PC I pretty much have given that up too for Discord.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
+1 for Pidgin, It's light weight, and does what I need it to do.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*adds this to the list of things why DJad is strange*
I'm not trolling man I'm being serious! I've got used to it now and really like it. It loads in seconds, works fine and finally I can see all the names of people in ICQ group chats!

The only thing I do miss is the contacts status messages you could have before.

Whats so bad about it then, maybe I'm missing something?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thing is: that in order to take up a new chat system you need someone to write with.. to get discord just because is not a good enough reason.. which is the main reason icq is still popular among uo players. It is not that people particularly like icq, but almost everyone else is using it, there have been several attempts to push to another platform in the past. but they will all fail, because its near impossible to move an entire game community to a new primary platform.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I haven't used ICQ in almost a decade, after I suddenly lost the ability to access my account, and they told me that there was no record of my email being associated with the account - the only email that had EVER been associated with it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're not using Discord, what's the problem? It's leaps and bounds the best chat system to date.
It is not that people particularly like icq, but almost everyone else is using it, there have been several attempts to push to another platform in the past. but they will all fail, because its near impossible to move an entire game community to a new primary platform.
Yep.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry, but not progressing because no one else is sounds like the worst excuse. Get with the times. More people are using it, especially in other games. It comes with less of a footprint than anything on my computer as well.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've pretty much quit using ICQ since Microsoft borked my pc and I had to reinstall Trillian and ever since it hasn't been the same... I had everyone all catagorized into where they played and what group they were with and all and now I have over 600 people all lumped into one category and I don't know who is who and why I know them. So I'm pretty disgusted with it and just gave it up.

Probably better but I miss being able to contact a few folk... but my guess is they all know where I am.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but not progressing because no one else is sounds like the worst excuse. Get with the times. More people are using it, especially in other games. It comes with less of a footprint than anything on my computer as well.
Yea man, you start driving in the opposite side of the road, and tell us how that works out for ya /sarcasm.. okay joke aside.. but messengers is about reaching people, and if you change service you cannot reach the same people like before unless they also change, some might, but others don't want to because... why should they? and then you are stuck with that, or both anyways.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but not progressing because no one else is sounds like the worst excuse. Get with the times. More people are using it, especially in other games.
This is UO remember. Over 50% of the people still use the client made in 1997 so as you probably know they don't like progressing. Discord is great, don't get me wrong but until I start seeing it more widely used in UO I'll keep using icq to contact UO people. I give them discord info and then get asked "don't you have icq".

PS..my discord username is DJAd.

Last edited:

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had the same ICQ number since i started UO. ICQ has had some terrible versions released, but the most recent is very good. As DJAd says, it loads fast and has a nice interface.

+ ICQ can be used via web browser too.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I gotta wonder if you guys have more than 30 ppl on your ICQ list.
I have over 500 - all sorts categorized in groups according to game played most to guild. It just... bah. No warning. I launch ICQ and everyone is all jumbled which hurts my eyes. Cannot rezise, cannot find someone, cannot update status the way I want, cannot send messages right. And no, I will not associate my phone to any chat program with gamers - sorry.

So yeah, switching to Discord is alright. A good portion of the gamers I actively play with are there and that suits me fine. The ppl that were still active on ICQ are mostly old-time UO players who had quit, but we still talked from time to time. Most know how to reach me out of ICQ if they really wanna.

I did get something other than a canned reply from the ICQ ppl, surprisingly. They mentioned the features I mostly lamented about are being planned for a "future release, very soon" and that "much feedback about those features have been received".
I know it wasn't canned as there were some typos - specifically in my name. Hah!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm getting use to the new ICQ, I still have my old version 7 to on my PC, but the ICQ group chat did not work well in the old version, when made in the new one, so I ended up using the new one.
I do miss a lot of setting options and yes I miss the options to sort my contacts in categorized in groups.
It take a while to get use to the new interface but I start to like it. It still need some tweaking. I special like, I can see the last days messages without having to search in history.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I also found a way to solve the problem with missing categories, I just rename, add a tag after name, like "TDO" for my guild, "Gift" for people I use to trade holidaygifts with, and so on. Then I can easy tast the tag in the search field and get a list of them

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
yes, because that is what we all want with a 'new and improved' version.... to have to work harder to get what we use to have.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I stopped using icq years ago, thought about it again recently until I found out the Russians bought it. Or maybe they always owned it..shrug.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just recently tried using it also after many years so I could do some holiday trades and stuff. The first thing I did was change my password and to do that I had to enter my cell phone number to get a SMS code to verify it was me. Then ugh it hosed my laptop and I had to reinstall the OS.

I wish I didn't enter my cell phone into it and instead used a disposable phone.

It also seems to be very different than I remember. I loved using the icq lite and the icq 2 go back in the day. The new version seems sucky and confusing.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I hated the new UI at first, but I'm used to it now. The thing I hate most is the inability to access chat history (I've yet to find a way to do so, and the ICQ documentation on this process is extremely outdated).