• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I hereby challenge the entire universe to give me a reason the "elves only" property should exist.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This never needed to exist in the first place, and at the latest really should have gone away when Mondain's Legacy quit being the expansion up for sale. It was never anything but an early ghetto version of the "requires the ____ expansion" tag anyway.

I say down with it. Woodland belts and darkwood suits for all. Except gargoyles I guess, but their stuff doesn't even go on all the same bodyparts, so they're out of luck.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This never needed to exist in the first place, and at the latest really should have gone away when Mondain's Legacy quit being the expansion up for sale. It was never anything but an early ghetto version of the "requires the ____ expansion" tag anyway.

I say down with it. Woodland belts and darkwood suits for all. Except gargoyles I guess, but their stuff doesn't even go on all the same bodyparts, so they're out of luck.

I think Elf only armor + Gargoyle only armor was a really poor concept.

Lore/RP does not always = Good gameplay

Sometimes that kinda stuff has to be sacrificed to make the game actually fun to play. In theory, at least you could retroactively remove Elf Only without causing any issues.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gargoyle only armor makes sense due to size and body morphology differences. Throwing being gargoyle only is laughably stupid, as is archery being human/elf only. (If an 8' tall behemoth can "hover" on those relatively tiny wings "'cuz magic," then they can certainly shoot a bow.)

Elf only armor, since they are essentially humans with pointy ears, notsomuch sense there.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Elven clothing and armour are downright ugly!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So you know which helms are guaranteed not to pinch their ears?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, I don't think there's much a reason that "Elf Only" should exist either.

The next best thing would be non-VvV Morph Earrings for pvm characters! (an obtainable pair anyway)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Because Human Winkies won't fit in Elf Cod Pieces and Human Tatatas won't fit in Elf Breas breast plates. Plenty of room for those little elf parts in the human armor.
I don't think any female elves are capable of having less tracts of land than me. :p

Still, the elves only property is pretty dumb, but the elven only equipment is downright ugly.
And I fail to see WHY it was needed to make a completely different set of equipment for Gargoyles either, which led to what happened with the Shadowguard situation, where some of the stuff can't be worn by Gargoyles and don't happen to have gargoyle versions.
Had the SA team kept their senses and made so that Gargoyles could use human armour and equipment (something pretty common in the Ultima series), we wouldn't be having this problem.

Enziet

Journeyman
Elves are one of two... Either tall and lanky, or short and magical... Neither of those fit the "age" of the humans.

During these times humans are not tall or short, they are all mid height.

Gargoyles are large beastly drooling filthy creatures, thus need bibs to mop up their drool, another feature humans don't require, as we have lips to keep our mouths closed.

^ Reasons for having different racial clothing styles ^

I can see some specialty elven clothing maybe being able to be used by Humans and I guess Gargoyles. But really I'm talking fancy magical weapons.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think any female elves are capable of having less tracts of land than me. :p

Still, the elves only property is pretty dumb, but the elven only equipment is downright ugly.
And I fail to see WHY it was needed to make a completely different set of equipment for Gargoyles either, which led to what happened with the Shadowguard situation, where some of the stuff can't be worn by Gargoyles and don't happen to have gargoyle versions.
Had the SA team kept their senses and made so that Gargoyles could use human armour and equipment (something pretty common in the Ultima series), we wouldn't be having this problem.
What is that drink there in your hand? I want one!

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting over I want to look pretty and down to the game mechanics. There should of been "Human only" clothing. This would of broke up a bunch of cookie cutter suits. Ahh for the days when getting the uber chest plate with bresticals was the issue.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea I agree. Ditch elves only.

Also how about legging as altar gargoyle stuff to human or at least let altered stuff be un-altered.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just need a box like for the vet reward clothes, between different elf, human, and gargoyle armor options. Switching between different looking pieces of armor with the same properties would be awesome too. Like, switching between studded leather and bone armor and the elf equivalent of that(never played an elf :0), and Mage Armor pieces I guess could be open to switching to pretty much any type aesthetically.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This should be something GM blacksmiths and tailors could take care of.

Edit: And carpenters-- I forgot the carpenters. They should be able to board up any gaps in wooden armor. A few nails and some wood glue should do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is where I keep saying if Tailors, Smiths, Carpenters and Tinkerers were truly given the ability to "alter" at least just armor..... then they could take any hat and transform it into any other headgear... They could take any sleeves and turn them into any other sleeves... Now I happen to know for a fact that you can actually do this as a DEV etc.... it's possible as long as it is the same slot... between elves and humans..... however not gargoyles.

Gargoyles and humans/elves not compatible, there is that massive difference in size and shape. That would take more coding.... and sometimes the elves only property is quirky and would want to remove itself from humans... so I don't know... but I will say that we should have the ability to alter things. Really .... you know tailors and such in days gone by actually did this... They saved everything from buttons to zippers and strings and yes fabric..... They re-purposed things all the time till it was literally rags at which point they cut it into tiny usable parts that weren't full of holes and stains and made quilts out of them.... Fabric never went to waste. They used it for fill in things if it was stained or ripped beyond use on the outside... They constantly took Dads clothes he wore out and cut up the fabric to make new outfits for the kids. Same with Moms old dresses... But back then they didn't wash them like we do now and fabric lasted longer and was generally thicker and stronger etc... anyway... Things were re-purposed all the time.

This goes the same for furniture.... Why carpenters can't deconstruct things and get wood back is beyond me since carpenters and craftsmen have salvaged wood and nails for years. Just saying.

Enziet

Journeyman
Okay so from the way this thread has progressed, what I'm reading now is some dude wants to wear elven skinny jeans in game... ugh...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay so from the way this thread has progressed, what I'm reading now is some dude wants to wear elven skinny jeans in game... ugh...
and something about little sisters and their fashion sense

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At least the SHIELDS should be able to be used by both gargoyle and human. And, probably, most of the weaponry.

Seriously, who hasn't wanted to see the Bloodsword graphic in the hands of their human or elf, from the day SA launched?

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not necessarily in favor of removing the elf-only tag, but I would like it if other races had the equivalent of, say, the Darkwood suit. Years have gone by since the elf crafters have been in contact with human potential customers. By now they should 'a' figured out how to make special garb that fits their brawnier friends.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The entire universe just got back to me. It had been sidetracked trying to catch a Pokémon near the Mutara Nebula. Later it plans to stop at a Starbucks on the way home to meet some friends and just catch up, you know? It asked me to tell everybody that it currently has no opinions on humans wearing elven clothing.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The entire universe just got back to me. It had been sidetracked trying to catch a Pokémon near the Mutara Nebula. Later it plans to stop at a Starbucks on the way home to meet some friends and just catch up, you know? It asked me to tell everybody that it currently has no opinions on humans wearing elven clothing.
How are you supposed to catch Pokemon when Niantic got rid of the footprint system entirely, when it would have (likely) been MUCH simpler to fix the broken 3 footprint "feature" that was in place before the late update?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Then I win by forfeit! Elves only must go!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd always wanted to dress my human female crafter character on Chessie in an elven belt and leather halter due to the dirty old man in me. :p

She had Drache's GD trained to keep her pesky fans in line or munched. :eek:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because elves are stinky and once they touch something, it is not viable for use. Plus, they are much smaller and they are snooty and they get eaten by monsters and we are left to pick through the monsters lack in taste of elven things and not touch them!!! ewwww.....

(yes, I have no elven characters, no gargolyes) *waits for dwarves or kinders*

upload_2016-8-5_0-29-50.png

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fictionally, the elves in UO are roughly the same size as humans (~5'). They are not the diminutive "North Pole" elves, but more what you see in LotR,

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
why change, waste of time, give me give me give me, I want, I want, I want, what will be next, I'm male and I want to wear female armor. gargs cant wear a lot, we will be wasting the devs time, I would like them to fix/improve things, not break more. just my opinions