• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Events BANNED in Europa!?

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa gets another slap from the EMs again this month, thank you for constantly keeping the events out of Europa EM Emile Layne!

This is not the 1st or 10th time that Europa gets 1 event(s) per month:
Events.png
...while others shards normally get 8 events on average which means tons of billions of gold & money circulation; Now you tell me about europa's economy!

I thought the best example to bring is our sister shard Drachenfels' event list:
events3.png

Not to mention the amount of events that took place this month on other shards:
-22 events on Chessy
-12 events on Great lakes
-8 events on Yamato
and much more...

Any explanations?

Last edited:

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I consider it significant that your interest in events is in the effect on the economy. Surprising as it might seem, I don't believe events are intended to be for economic reasons.
Ofc they are not intended to be like that, but can u ignore the fact that thats how it became due to drops prices?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ofc they are not intended to be like that, but can u ignore the fact that thats how it became due to drops prices?
It's a limited market. I doubt a month free of drops will effect the economy overall.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop or no drops but I have been thinking the same myself. Why does Europa seem to get hardly any events?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Europa gets another slap from the UO Dev team again this month, thank you for constantly keeping the events out of Europa.

This is not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time that Europa gets 1 or 2 event(s) per month:
View attachment 51129
...while others enjoy 8 events on average & event drops ranging between 300-500 & 1 bill.

I thought the best example to bring is our sister shard Drachenfels' event list:
View attachment 51130

Not to mention the amount of events that took place this month on other shards:
-22 events on Chessy
-12 events on Great lakes
-8 events on Yamato
and more......

Any explanations?
I'm not sure what's going on with Europa, but I can assure you there were not 22 events on Chesapeake this month. I think you're counting the ongoing fishing contest as an event for every day it was listed, but it was just one ongoing thing(and not even really an "event", but rather a contest).

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure what's going on with Europa, but I can assure you there were not 22 events on Chesapeake this month. I think you're counting the ongoing fishing contest as an event for every day it was listed, but it was just one ongoing thing(and not even really an "event", but rather a contest).
Not a single contest ever took place on Europa's history, maybe thats another thing we'd like to discuss

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I consider it significant that your interest in events is in the effect on the economy. Surprising as it might seem, I don't believe events are intended to be for economic reasons.
i think most would totally disagree. yes, they are fun in and of themselfs, but aside from the fun of the event, the tangible function of events is just spreading around gold. with trillions and trillions of gold with little to spend it on, how else are you going to get gold out of the hand of the rich and even just moving around.

alot of the people who buy event items DO NOT buy high end global loot, which is the only other thing that efficiently spreads gold around.

its a pretty good system for spreading around the wealth.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There has only been 1 event in June and 1 event in July on Europa :(

Whats most frustrating for me personally is the fact of the timezone here in the UK. I would love to attend the events on other shards but most of them are the middle of the night so Drachs and Europa are the only ones I can really attend.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa has the absolute worst record this season for events.

Most shard are at around 8 items so far
Atlantic and great lakes are at 15 (not counting promotion items)

Europa's EM has had a whopping total of 3 drops.
Europa's overall total is 4 drops ( on was a test EM)

Feb 28 - A Damaged Fragment Of The Eye Of The Moonlighter (20) *This wasnt a Test EM. Europa was allowed 2 drops this month, but still only got 1
May 8 - Shackles From King Blackthorn's Dungeon (~50)
May 15 - Melissa's Frozen Heart (20)
Jul 03 - An Effigy Of King Blackthorn Sculpted By Europa's Rebellion (20)

its pretty sad that broadsword is paying these people when they dont perform the basic minimums.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There has only been 1 event in June and 1 event in July on Europa :(

Whats most frustrating for me personally is the fact of the timezone here in the UK. I would love to attend the events on other shards but most of them are the middle of the night so Drachs and Europa are the only ones I can really attend.
Asian shards may work well for you.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Asian shards may work well for you.
Yeah I have tried a few but these tend to be in the morning. I can't remember the last one I went to but also I could hardly move!

Are Yamato, Asuka, Sakura etc on Japanese time?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop or no drops but I have been thinking the same myself. Why does Europa seem to get hardly any events?
Does it not have it's own EM? Maybe someone is split shifting it, so less goes on?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
320ping here, and i need to take some chinese/japanese courses :p
i ping a little under 200 and its very playable. I would think playing from Europe would be better ping, but i guess it comes down to internet conection. with how casual events are, 300 ping and youd still probably be able to play.

some of them translate, and the ones that dont you can still get the general idea. the asian ones are usually very easy to follow compared to english speaking in terms of locations / event progression.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
i think most would totally disagree. yes, they are fun in and of themselfs, but aside from the fun of the event, the tangible function of events is just spreading around gold. with trillions and trillions of gold with little to spend it on, how else are you going to get gold out of the hand of the rich and even just moving around.

alot of the people who buy event items DO NOT buy high end global loot, which is the only other thing that efficiently spreads gold around.

its a pretty good system for spreading around the wealth.
I'm glad you posted this, Smoot.

I don't think anyone could argue that events don't have an impact on the high-end economy. They clearly do. No matter how much people may complain about drop rates, distribution methods, recycled graphics, or whatever, high-end collectors still spend hundreds of milliions of gold on them (and real cash of course as well, but that's a whole other can of worms).

However, if the function of EM events is to spread wealth around, they are doing it completely backwards. If events are all about the items, as many seem to believe, then it is a complete waste of the EMs' time (and Broadsword's money in paying them) to create stories and setup for item dispensing. This also frustrates the hell out of players who are there more for the content and experience than for the prize. This has been the crux of much of the debate between EM event camps for a long time--are events for the item or are events for the story?

I think a better way to do it would be to essentially swap the PECs and the EMs. If the main purpose of an event is to dispense rares, we don't need one dispenser per shard--just one or two people going around the shards with some boss monsters would suffice. This would satisfy the people who only want the boss fight and drop, which there seem to be a fair few of given the state of literally every EM event channel I've ever joined. ("Is it over?" "This is taking too long!" "Game of Thrones starts in 5 minutes!" "Hurry up!" "This EM is too slow!" "I'm bored!" etc.) Meanwhile, each shard could have its own content-oriented EM who ran storylines and worked with the players of that shard to bring fun and entertainment without the inevitable derailments and complaints from people only there for items.

It's perfectly fine for people to go from shard to shard for events--I do it myself on occasion. However, if an EM is assigned to a given shard, it should be that shard they primarily serve, not the masses who come from all shards JUST for items. It just isn't an efficient or functional use of resources. I know there are people on my shard who won't go to EM events because they are so horribly disrupted, and I've heard similar things from other shards. That's not right. Regardless of whether you think events are primarily for content or primarily for items, both camps should be served reasonably and could be served better with some adjustments to the program.

They have a dedicated EM (Emile Layne) - I think that is how its spelt. I don't know if they do Europa only or other shards also.

EDIT - I just had a look here Event Moderators – Ultima Online and it says Emile Layne is Europa only.
That list is out of date. EM Dramnar is assigned to Catskills now, EM ShanyraFyre to Chesapeake, EM Crysania is gone and EM Obsidian is now on Baja, EM Avalon is gone and EM Erebus is now on Legends, and I think there are a couple other changes.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Riyana

while i partly agree with you, there is only so much broadsword can do. I think for most shards its a pretty good balance right now between those who come for the RP, and those who just want the item.

many shards list the "main event" (the drop event) specifically to allow those who dont care about the RP to just participate in the item event.

Your idea about seperating the 2 (items vrs story) is interesting but myself as a collector totally disagree with it.

to me for an item to be desireable it has to have at least some foundation in the UO lore provided by the EMs. We are seeing a shift away from this by active collectors, but it stands true for many classic collectors.

Another reason i would not seperate the 2 is that anyone can do RP. you dont need an EM to do that. all you need the EM for is to merge that RP with an item provided by mesanna/broadsword.

that is why i think the current set-up is working as intended.

Myself, if i want RP, i will RP myself (as ive done in the past being a part of some of the oldest and most well known RP guilds in the game) I think most serious RPers would say the same.
An event is totally different. Its for the masses. think a T.V. episode rather than a long, drawn out novel. While an item needs to have meaning, the longer and more complicated the EMs RP gets, it usually detracts from that items meaning because the masses just cant follow it (with limited time, jobs, shedule, etc)

On a side note, i have always said that ideally there should be more high end, limited time items spawning in the game to provide a gold outlet for those who cant attend the specific times, and also to just so solidify daily gameplay. high point, limited time vanity items as VVV rewards would be just one easy way to implement this.

currently, the highest end permanant content in the game isnt worth doing for static items (arties, rare quest rewards, etc)
while it is worth doing for global loot, the high end deco side is really only viable in the EM program.

That could be changed by doing limited time content (to maintain value) like say mid-level mobs similar to a crimson dragon strength (anything that couldnt be afk farmed) it could even be given a mild RP / reason to be there, and even tied into the EMs overall storyline. nothing in depth, just a few sentences from an NPC.

Take the last event on Catskills. This could have worked perfectly for this type of content, but was badly implemented. If the event were publically announced (lets say a week prior on UO.com, town criers & in Luna), and spanning over lets say a week it would have given the masses the ability to participate (still not ideal because it required stealing. i would have suggested it be a stealable but able to be stolen with 0 stealing skill)

Instead, it was poorly announced, at the very end of a very RP heavy event. even that "announcment" was cryptic at best. So only about 5 people got the items. most the players who got this item got mulitples. others left when the event was delayed, thinking the EM hadnt shown up.

To me, and i think to many players this type of limited time, high reward content would be ideal (if implemented well), however it would require more time and more consistent setup of these types of global, limited time content. I know Kyronix and Mesanna unfortunately said they Will Not be doing limited time global content, but concentrating on permanent content instead. which defeats the purpose of needing to keep these items high value to stimulate gold movement.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i ping a little under 200 and its very playable. I would think playing from Europe would be better ping, but i guess it comes down to internet conection. with how casual events are, 300 ping and youd still probably be able to play.

some of them translate, and the ones that dont you can still get the general idea. the asian ones are usually very easy to follow compared to english speaking in terms of locations / event progression.
I would have thought from Europe it would be lower ping than mine in the USA as well. But mine runs about 160-180. A bit of lag, but not completely unplayable.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have thought from Europe it would be lower ping than mine in the USA as well. But mine runs about 160-180. A bit of lag, but not completely unplayable.
agreed, like i said, it may come down to internet provider. im not sure the quality available other than where i live in southeastern PA usa

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think there were some smaller ones in between?
I just follow the big UO story lines and wait with bated breath on their new big announcement next year. :p
Which big announcement? The one where they are redoing the worthless account management system they have now? Or the one where they announce that they will ban scripter/dupers/multi-boxers? ROFLMFAO

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which big announcement? The one where they are redoing the worthless account management system they have now? Or the one where they announce that they will ban scripter/dupers/multi-boxers? ROFLMFAO
@Mesanna agreed, i mean its really gotten depressing. ive seen some people playing 6 to 15 accounts at once. i realize UO is just your job, but how long exactly do you want to keep that job? i dont like my job either but i do what is needed to keep it.

at this point many people are leaving and those mulibox characters dont even pay broadsword / EA for thier accounts.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do agree it is unfair for Europa to only have one event. Event drops are nothing more than pixel crack.

This past week there was an event. EM placed the item down on a pedestal in the councilor hall. I wanted to see if it could be picked up. I was able to pick it up. I emailed the EM and returned the item to the EM. People just go to crazy over pixel crack.

Then you have players coming over from other shards to smaller ones just for EM drops

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
The only people that complain if they are getting bored or if the event is going to slow is them people who just have come for the item, want to get it and shift it off to ATL to sell it between themeselves.
This is going to sound harsh, but its always the SAME people who are getting the drops, regardless of the number of people who attend, and its not the templates..... mostly everyone in the events are running the same template of tamers, Weavers or thrower/archers, yet the exact same 10 people are getting a drop.... On the last Europa event, when Mesanna came down to fix an item, one person had 3 items in their backpack to get fixed, when asked how he got them he replied he used 3 accounts but wasnt multiboxing....... emm the fair fact of having to shift through different instances of UO, should already be illegal, one client at a time should be run!!! That clearly showed someone was cheating infront of her eyes, and instead of going well you got 3 items, lose 2 due to using multiple accounts at an event which is Illegal to do, she allowed it!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least it will be only 3-4 x a year...insted of 14-15 x a year ..... iam disapointed on not getting a drop.again to the xshard hoards ... . thats big plus point.. for me

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only people that complain if they are getting bored or if the event is going to slow is them people who just have come for the item, want to get it and shift it off to ATL to sell it between themeselves.
This is going to sound harsh, but its always the SAME people who are getting the drops, regardless of the number of people who attend, and its not the templates..... mostly everyone in the events are running the same template of tamers, Weavers or thrower/archers, yet the exact same 10 people are getting a drop.... On the last Europa event, when Mesanna came down to fix an item, one person had 3 items in their backpack to get fixed, when asked how he got them he replied he used 3 accounts but wasnt multiboxing....... emm the fair fact of having to shift through different instances of UO, should already be illegal, one client at a time should be run!!! That clearly showed someone was cheating infront of her eyes, and instead of going well you got 3 items, lose 2 due to using multiple accounts at an event which is Illegal to do, she allowed it!!!
big suck... uo cater for a close knit group..we know that... i speak my mind too.. i get a lot of **** because of it... i aint fussed.... the system sucks

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In one Atl event (the sleepy hellhound puppy one a month or two ago), I got two of the...I think it was 25? I only had one char there (A tamer), just as I do at EVERY event. They were glitched and Mesanna had to fix those too. At events, it's not hard to play multiple accounts, even by hand. I could set up a second account with a thrower and I'd have no problems playing that and my tamer. My last drop was a few months ago on LS, although I only have event chars on 3 different shards (4, but I haven't worked the thrower on Origin due to having nothing over there.)

Mesanna doesn't care though, and she says as much time and time again.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Due to the fact that they allow running multiple instance of UO and also UOa i think multiboxing is not forbidden. But running scripts in the other 9 Clients should be harmed.
Whatever, thread content has changed from whatupp with EU EM events to something else. The only Problem i see is the announcement part. Wtf means next event on 22 Feb?!?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
devs, all we want is things to be fair and too much candy is bad for u. why do atl and great lake get 2 drops a month? and u keep raising the amount for atl and gl from 10 to 25 or more. kill the multis lol.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is not cheating to use more than one client at an event. You might not like it but it is not illegal. I have a 34" ultra wide curved screen and when my wife doesn't feel like attending an event, I play both her account and mine, by hand all the time.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
devs, all we want is things to be fair and too much candy is bad for u. why do atl and great lake get 2 drops a month? and u keep raising the amount for atl and gl from 10 to 25 or more. kill the multis lol.
I would imagine it is because those shards still have two EMs. A lot of shards once had two EMs, but it seems the program has shrunk. A few years back, my home shard of LS and GL were the same size, but it seems that somewhere along the way, things went differently. I don't see the point of punishing success, especially given that any of us can play on multiple shards if we are willing to build-up or transfer the characters. A better solution might be to have a few floating EMs like they had originally who do an event or two on a different shard each month.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
big suck... uo cater for a close knit group..we know that... i speak my mind too.. i get a lot of **** because of it... i aint fussed.... the system sucks
Oh yea, the system SUCKS. /s

The system as it is now was CREATED for player's like you. Its easier now than it has EVER been for someone to get a drop. Yet you still complain just the same as you complained before.

I do also want to mention, if I have a character on a server that I NEVER TRANSFER, then I am not an xsharder. I have PERMANENT characters on EVERY server. So do most of those "xsharders" you always talk about.

THP, if you want to know why you dont get drops all you need to do is look in the mirror.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One again! Only one event is scheduled for August, so europa gets 1 event per month for 3 consecutive months. Brilliant!

@Mesanna

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yea, the system SUCKS. /s

The system as it is now was CREATED for player's like you. Its easier now than it has EVER been for someone to get a drop. Yet you still complain just the same as you complained before.

I do also want to mention, if I have a character on a server that I NEVER TRANSFER, then I am not an xsharder. I have PERMANENT characters on EVERY server. So do most of those "xsharders" you always talk about.

THP, if you want to know why you dont get drops all you need to do is look in the mirror.
This. I have 1-2 permanent event chars on multiple shards (thrower & tamer on LS/Atl, thrower on Legends, thrower on Origin); the Atl/Origin throwers are unfinished - Atl thrower's going to be a Whammy, which I'll be doing for all US shards. Origin's completely unworked, though - he needs scrolls, suit, and weaps.

One again! Only one event is scheduled for August, so europa gets 1 event per month for 3 consecutive months. Brilliant!

@Mesanna
It's the beginning of the month, I'm sure more will come.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I understand it Emile was poorly for a while and was unable to run some of his planned events. I enjoy the EM events very much (Emile is a very imaginative and, often, extremely patient with a grouchy crowd) although I prefer player run events. Some shards have a wonderful array of player run, small scale but fun events that are a joy. They don't get as much attention as the EM ones though because you cannot get rich off them so some would say they aren't worth the effort. With many of these player events you need to harness a level of imagination and courtesy that goes beyond counting the profit at the end of the evening. Europa still has wonderful @Escaflowne's weekly hunts, he is a treasure with his unfailing efforts to provide public net tosses and experiences for all to share. There is the wonderfully run weekly auction, a host of tavern evenings such as those at the beautiful Swaggers Inn and the splendid Sword and Shovel.

I understand that RP isn't for everybody, I really do, but if you spend a little time thinking of things that others could get involved in rather than swinging your verbal codpiece in general chat or here in this forum then you may create something that many could enjoy. Look at the life and richness in the Catskills forums...my word what a shard they are. Not a week goes by without some player organising something for others to get involved in. Proactive, imaginative and interested players who make their shard the jewel in the crown of this game.

I don't care for this need to have everything done for us, go set something up yourself. The game is steeped in landscapes and the tools to create your own event, the PEC is really helpful. All it takes is a little effort. I would also keep in mind that when we do have EM events upon Europa then maybe a level of appreciation wouldn't go amiss rather than complaints when there are no planned drops. So what if you have trillions of gold and nothing to spend it on? Why not go spend a little setting up something that will truly add to your ingame reputation?

Fill the calendar up Gandalf, I think anyone can add to a shard's events...do something with the wonderful tools available.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that's just the meeting thing with the king not a "proper" event. I hope they add more.
And it is still an event..maybe not one with a drop but it is still an EM organised activity with the potential for interaction with other players. I am sure there will be more following on from it but every story has to start somewhere.

Last edited:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, that´s just an xsharder with chars on each shard.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
why not make an event yourself? you can have player events... after all, that is part of the service.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did...Did you really take a picture of your screen with your phone? To show what? You being a complete ass to the EM who was announcing they were leaving?

Learn how to take a screenshot first, then maybe you can run your mouth to the EM.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Emile Layne put in alot of effort for our shard during his term. He made some great events and gave Europa alot of Memories. His events were always fun, well thought out and amazingly decorated to set the atmosphere. He even created some fel events to cater to the pvp community when you asked him to, so he did listen to your requests.

You do not know what is going on in his life right now, I know he was ill earlier this year which stopped him from doing as much as he wanted. Peoples circumstances change and EM Emile Layne has acted honourably in putting his hands up, saying he can no longer cater for Europa's needs and will step down so that someone else can; because in his words Europa deserves it. This was not an easy thing for him to do because he loved EM'ing and he loves Europa.

So please show some respect to a lovely man who gave us so much of his time during his term and carried out his job with passion.