• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A way to get more UO players, JC this is for you

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While not sure how to get the word out, JC the Builder has got a good start on youtube anyway.

Warman noted that online video is more than twice as effective to reach consumers as TV. He said 35 percent of gamers use YouTube to discover new titles, while only 14 percent do through TV commercials.

In video games, spectating is the new advertising

Enziet

Journeyman
I used to stream on Twitch while playing Ultima. I averaged about 100 - 200 people per night. The most common question was "What is this game" followed by "I'm not paying 15 bucks a month for this old game". You can interpret from there how well advertising will work for this game.

If you are looking for young blood in this game it will need to be F2P for starters. Secondly you'll have to start having GM's give items back to players after they are killed and loose items cause they couldn't get back to their bodies, or someone took them.

Fresh blood isn't always a good thing especially when it comes to UO. The best we can hope for is people stream game play / upload to YouTube. That will hopefully draw in a few people with the free trail and they stick around for a bit and sub. Most will end up on a free shard though.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Broardsword should apply for a PokeStop at their building, throw some lures and then tell the horde of Pokemon hunters, that will attract, that they can find a rare version of Squitle in Eodon! :smile2:
A 12 year walked up to me while I had my son at the park and asked me if I had a "snorolacks".

I had no idea what he was talking about until he said, "oh, you don't play Pokeman Go?"

Sorry buddy, not this guy I guess.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I used to stream on Twitch while playing Ultima. I averaged about 100 - 200 people per night. The most common question was "What is this game" followed by "I'm not paying 15 bucks a month for this old game". You can interpret from there how well advertising will work for this game.

If you are looking for young blood in this game it will need to be F2P for starters. Secondly you'll have to start having GM's give items back to players after they are killed and loose items cause they couldn't get back to their bodies, or someone took them.

Fresh blood isn't always a good thing especially when it comes to UO. The best we can hope for is people stream game play / upload to YouTube. That will hopefully draw in a few people with the free trail and they stick around for a bit and sub. Most will end up on a free shard though.
Although I agree with you in most things there is something that shouldn't be done, a GM give items back.
My reasoning behind is, theres a great room to explotation on this, say a newbie gets given a half decent suit so that he can train, he decides that he stronger than he is and goes into a stronger dungeon and gets killed and losses the kit cause of no insurance, giving the items back, doesnt help the player to evolve and learn to play the game and choose correctly what enemy to fight at what time, its just spoiling him by giving him his suit back, Ive lost suits when I started, I know Kiri in Eu lost like 10 suits and dont learn but it helps to evolve into a better player.
Personally I wouldnt allow new players until they reach 70s in the 3-4 skills to leave New Haven, yeah might be boring as there is not much to do, but get a new 70s skill player into shame with **** suit and not full hci/dci and he cannot make it there, the spawn will kill him. The game is very item based in that sense now.

The main reason people leave this game after the trial, is the sub, 15 Eu for 1 month on a 17 year old game with 2002 graphics.... It wont go down well!!
Then the fact that they need to farm/grind for everything unless it given to them is also another mayor factor. A new one without the help of some veteran player cannot hunt for Crimmies, Tangles and other stuff, until his gear is well above average and has some full caps met.
AND if you do give them stuff, theres no more reason for them to hunt, as they already have a decent suit/weps, so the game suddenly is made easy and interest is lost.

I used to run a guild to help new & returning players, I used to try to equip them out slowly so that their gameplay could be enjoyable and avoid so much grinding of monsters and loot.
Some I even made suits so that they could hunt with me and not die so often and have a chance a better loot, yet after all the investment I did to sustain and help improve the numbers in the community, many left, and all quoted to me the same reason, too much grind still after been given a suit and the sub price.
Many of them were European also, so playing in Atl wasnt their cup of tea due to time differences, lag and other issues.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip> ... If you are looking for young blood in this game it will need to be F2P for starters. Secondly you'll have to start having GM's give items back to players after they are killed and loose items cause they couldn't get back to their bodies, or someone took them.

F2P - altho I just restarted this year, I understand this has been brought up and this is a no-go item. Not planned for the foreseeable future. Forget it.

GM returns - again, I believe this is a no. If the player picks a foe too tough, run the heck away! Dying is part of this game as is potential loss of goods. I started way before insurance and understood the risks. So should any new player.

Agree that new blood will most likely do the freebie part then perhaps go FS, but when you are showing the game and hear the "ewww! old game!" comment, remind them it's been around a lot longer than most game console, Pokemon and has outlasted other MMORPGs several times - giving it **something** that makes it unique. Short list off the top of my head ...
  • "tunable" templates - not really a fixed structure and thus highly versatile.
  • Thousands of items that can be looted, crafted.
  • Hundreds of animals and monsters.
  • Shards (servers to them?) that have their own independent histories above and beyond the same lands.
  • Different rulesets - Fel and Tram - for them to pick from.
Also, they need to understand ... they will need to WORK for many items ... and work HARD! If they cannot or will not commit to that kind of gaming environment, then they are the ones not suited for this arena.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't understand the suggestion about GMs giving back lost items. Lost items? With insurance?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bring back Kingdom Reborn (The way it was supposed to be), create more gold sinks, delete the cheaters/dupers gold and new/old players will come. This would be a step in the right direction and attempt to fix the economy at the same time :)

upload_2016-7-27_12-12-57.png

Enziet

Journeyman
I was just reciting what was told to me while streaming, what people didn't enjoy about the game, and issues they had with it. There were more issues of course and reasons why people were not playing it. But those were some of the most common complaints I heard.

But of course that was only from one outlet. I'm sure that if you reach more than just one (not just live streaming) you will find more reasons and excuses to not play the game :)

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
For new players to come, old players need to make sacrifices. A new currency is needed, some of these useful vet rewards need more reachable avenues for new players, and the lag when running by the overstuffed and now over developed houses with custom stone pavers needs to be fixed.

EDIT: And a consolidated purchase for all content expansions. Some things that are obvious money grabs need to be removed as well. Forged Tools are ridiculous to any one that plays games today just as an example. It looks like pay to win and a subscription game in it's current state. Not only does it look like it, but it actually frickin is if you think about it more as crafting than PvE.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EDIT: And a consolidated purchase for all content expansions. Some things that are obvious money grabs need to be removed as well. Forged Tools are ridiculous to any one that plays games today just as an example. It looks like pay to win and a subscription game in it's current state. Not only does it look like it, but it actually frickin is if you think about it more as crafting than PvE.
+1 to both these

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
+2 on this.

No one is paying +$100 for a game with outdated graphics plus another 15 a month sub fee... Just not happening. (My friend Wyrlin excluded the man is sweet but ... most folk won't pay that)....

The game needs to be marketed as the Ultimate Gamers Game... It has 10x the depth of WoW, Far more things to do see and learn than most any game on the market... established communites... housing you can deco, design and show off. Yes that's right other people can actually VISIT your property and it's IN the world not some back alley hole in the wall that isn't actually in game.

It has plots, live events, history...

But sadly most people don't see beyond the god awful graphics, poor interface, lack of new player experience (the EC has one but it's a JOKE)... STEEP learning curve, lack of true forum... lack of support when needing assistance in-game, number of scammers and cheaters... is a major turn off for many.... and the #1 reason we can't get people.... Most folk remember UO from days of old and NOT in a good way.... they remember getting, scammed, robbed, hacked, etc..... and EA/DEVs/GMs doing NOTHING about it... Many who left UO and haven't returned will NEVER return. They have a deep seated hatred for the game.

Most young new gamers want instant satisfaction and domination and they want to win and move on.... You don't "beat" UO... There is no "Win".

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this point, way to get genuinely new players or wider appeal would require a sequel. UO 2. Which will prolly never happen. Even new client wouldn't serve anymore. Game underneath is just, sadly, too old. UO's draconian and obsolete business model will ensure almost nobody who wasn't in bandwagon around mid 00s the latest will not care.Ancient, sub based MMO where the sub fee as additional insult is higher than the norm. What.

Having said that, I really wish we got a new client, heh.
I still can't believe three sperate dev teams managed to blow a change at new client three times. How can this game still be alive. oO It is fun and/or sad to look at screenies of some unofficial free shard where game manages to look much better than Osi has in decades..

Gaming as spectator sport is a thing for younger generations. People born in 90's and onwards. Ultima Online tweaking it's online store or updating PvP mechanics to them feels as relevant as news about aliens in Space Invaders moving 5% faster does to you.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At this point, way to get genuinely new players or wider appeal would require a sequel. UO 2
I really wish we got a new client
I completely disagree with these two points, we don't need a new game (sequel) or a third client (if that's what you meant). They need to bring back UO KR as the second client (keep the classic client and remove EC) with updated graphics, create more gold sinks and do a gold swipe of all the cheaters/dupers gold as they've done in the past. This will bring back old/new players, make the game marketable again and attempt the fix the economy

Now for all those that want F2P, that won't work either unless they abide by the same rules as trial accounts. Other games do it (Runescape as an example) and it seems to work well :thumbup:

My 2 cents and again a step in the right direction ;)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completely disagree with these two points, we don't need a new game (sequel) or a third client (if that's what you meant). They need to bring back UO KR as the second client (keep the classic client and remove EC) with updated graphics, create more gold sinks and do a gold swipe of all the cheaters/dupers gold as they've done in the past. This will bring back old/new players, make the game marketable again and attempt the fix the economy

Now for all those that want F2P, that won't work either unless they abide by the same rules as trial accounts. Other games do it (Runescape as an example) and it seems to work well :thumbup:

My 2 cents and again a step in the right direction ;)

I also feel UO could become quite lively if they released some good, polished, decent looking client and whatnot. It might lure many veterans back.
...and that is the thing. UO - can- still have an appeal, but only to people who have been interested of the game for decades as it is. No notable amount of people born in 90's will ever touch UO. Doesn't matter what sort of gold sinks there are, how nice the client looks, what the payment model turns out to be. It is a game released in late 90's. People born around same time UO was launched have detached interest to it that is similar to way you might have a detached interest to mid 80's video games.

Very good client, less archaic payment model might lure some older gamers in though, for sure. But all of these potential customers are those who have some old memories of UO as it is.

Something I strongly disagree with you is the mention of " second client". This madness should have never been. It is mind boggling how people running UO have struggled with maintaining two separate client for 16 years now. This should have ended 16 years back.

Last edited:

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I also feel UO could become quite lively if they released some good, polished, decent looking client and whatnot. It might lure many veterans back.
...and that is the thing. UO - can- still have an appeal, but only to people who have been interested of the game for decades as it is. No notable amount of people born in 90's will ever touch UO. Doesn't matter what sort of gold sinks there are, how nice the client looks, what the payment model turns out to be. It is a game released in late 90's. People born around same time UO was launched have detached interest to it that is similar to way you might have a detached interest to mid 80's video games.

Very good client, less archaic payment model might lure some older gamers in though, for sure. But all of these potential customers are those who have some old memories of UO as it is.

Something I strongly disagree with you is the mention of " second client". This madness should have never been. It is mind boggling how people running UO have struggled with maintaining two separate client for 16 years now. This should have ended 16 years back.
The depth and housing of this game can appeal to millennials, however without some sort of graphic update (UO:KR) they won't try and get hooked like we did 18 years ago. The game is very unique and offers something for everyone :)

If they integrated both clients into one with a toggling feature then I wouldn't mind having one client (Classic and KR), however most clients that do that are either really buggy or can't 100% toggle between both graphics. Hence the two clients

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Bring back Kingdom Reborn (The way it was supposed to be), create more gold sinks, delete the cheaters/dupers gold and new/old players will come. This would be a step in the right direction and attempt to fix the economy at the same time :)

View attachment 50954
I hate that picture, the art work is really bad. Been on the CC, each time a new client came out I took a look and went back to the CC.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shards Online might be the final nail in the coffin. Any new players that UO might have attracted will probably end up going to Shards. Its basically UO 2.0. Looks really fantastic and they support "freeshards".

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shards Online might be the final nail in the coffin. Any new players that UO might have attracted will probably end up going to Shards. Its basically UO 2.0. Looks really fantastic and they support "freeshards".
No.... It looks like a cartoon.... and a very bad one at that.

I'm sorry it's a nice try but I would never play it. I have a friend who's been trying it and no.... no appeal at all.

If I could I'd win the lottery buy UO and Landmark and marry the two together building a new FAR more modern UO. Pretty sure one could acquire both games fairly cheaply. But all that is a dream.

But imagine UO as a destructable 3d world with open terrain and the ability to have dungeons go FAR underground... Where you can lay siege to something and actually blow it up (though it would reset eventually)... where going out mining you actually dig up the terrain (though it repairs later) where you can actually chop down trees..... where on your plot you can actually change the terrain and vegetation to suit you.

I'd switch 100% to Landmark if it weren't for the fact that their is NO RP ..... no "game" in it very little mobs, no crafting to speak of and little combat... PvP was removed. But if the two could be merged somehow it would be a game that would blow all others out of the water....

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just felt like quickly adding, that despite all of it's issues and shortcomings, UO's community is STILL far more active than some of the MMOs that were created to kill the generation of MMOs that were once created to Kill UO. ;p It is incredible, really.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
does anyone else see the irony in this thread?

perhaps JC and the others that used to do the streaming here will be able to post these videos again once the official forums come out later this year. until then, youtube is the go to place. good luck having new / returning players randomly finding these videos there.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has JC been banned from Stratics ? If not, I look forward to the next thread where he's praised by name, yet doesn't respond. :postcount:

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Has JC been banned from Stratics ? If not, I look forward to the next thread where he's praised by name, yet doesn't respond. :postcount:
Banned and possibly sued as well lol :p, his last words were

JC the Builder said:
Shortly before 6pm EST this evening I received legal requests from Stratics regarding content on a website I manage. In response to this I will not be making further comments on this forum at this time.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nails and Flutter used to do some great videos. im not going to get into the details of why they stopped, but do notice that theres no streaming videos here anymore. it was just kinda cool and i miss it (maybe im just not looking in the right place?)

in all honesty, im not going to go on youtube or even twitch to look for stuff. but if it happens to be on a website im already on its cool to have. (i know, im horribly out of date and old fashioned when it comes to gaming entertainment)

the point is, its a bit ironic that video streaming is so popular, but stratics no longer does streaming or has anyone posting videos.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Guys, the topic of JC's status on Stratics isn't really one that is appropriate for discussion, or should be open for speculation. I'll leave it with he's no longer a member of the community. I'll reiterate, our policy is we don't discuss the specifics of why someone is banned, issued points, or a warning, nor do we encourage or allow discussion or speculation of such. Any actions taken against any community member(s) on Stratics are solely between that user and Stratics, unless the community member(s) decides to disclose it elsewhere.

On the topic of video streaming, it's been part of discussions we've had and we'd like to get back into it we agree it's a very important way of engaging people. There are however some serious concerns we need to be conscious of. As Streaming has gotten more popular, so has the attention from copyright holders increased dramatically in the past couple of years. Some examples of this are easy enough to point out, Star Wars: The Old Republic recordings often get flagged due to the games background music (John Williams scores), Nintendo commonly flags content with their titles in order to monetize other people's videos for their profit, and Youtube's automatic scanning system will hit you for any copyrighted background music, for example if you're listening iTunes etc. and it's extremely difficult to work with the system as you're considered guilty automatically.

With all the projects we have on our table and are working on now (and yes there are some doozies) wading through this potential mine field has been pushed to the side until we have what's on our plate now, is closer to completion, or ready for roll out. Now if you want to know some more about our projects, ask and I'll see what's safe for us to say at the moment.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Guys, the topic of JC's status on Stratics isn't really one that is appropriate for discussion, or should be open for speculation. I'll leave it with he's no longer a member of the community. I'll reiterate, our policy is we don't discuss the specifics of why someone is banned, issued points, or a warning, nor do we encourage or allow discussion or speculation of such. Any actions taken against any community member(s) on Stratics are solely between that user and Stratics, unless the community member(s) decides to disclose it elsewhere.

On the topic of video streaming, it's been part of discussions we've had and we'd like to get back into it we agree it's a very important way of engaging people. There are however some serious concerns we need to be conscious of. As Streaming has gotten more popular, so has the attention from copyright holders increased dramatically in the past couple of years. Some examples of this are easy enough to point out, Star Wars: The Old Republic recordings often get flagged due to the games background music (John Williams scores), Nintendo commonly flags content with their titles in order to monetize other people's videos for their profit, and Youtube's automatic scanning system will hit you for any copyrighted background music, for example if you're listening iTunes etc. and it's extremely difficult to work with the system as you're considered guilty automatically.

With all the projects we have on our table and are working on now (and yes there are some doozies) wading through this potential mine field has been pushed to the side until we have what's on our plate now, is closer to completion, or ready for roll out. Now if you want to know some more about our projects, ask and I'll see what's safe for us to say at the moment.
We could ask Broadsword what is fair use on videoing content? I know when I first brought up recording my play a few people reached out to me to encourage. I just wasn't motivated enough. YouTube is a great resource. I use it for a number of hobbies. Video Games, Miniatures (Games Workshop), Wood Carving, Amateur PC Building (Newegg), Music (Vevo is the new MTV ), SNL skits, Cooking and Butchering (Scott Rhea is awesome.) I even like some morning variety shows like the very family friendly Good Mythical Morning. There's one dude's channel called Frog Leap Studios that the guy makes insane money and gets insane gifts from viewers companies by doing metal covers of pop songs. He plays the drums, sings, guitar, and bass and edits it all together. He's amazing. Just know that if you do something like this... it's okay to not be perfect when starting out and you're going to fail and grow. A lot of new Youtubers suck early. And that's fine. You just gotta get the experience.

You can easily be the face of the UO gamer if motivated. One person has a UO Radio Station. It'd be awesome to get that on YouTube instead. Probably better quality sound too because if I recall right the playback wasn't that great.

Enziet

Journeyman
There are a couple of big name people streaming UO on Twitch. I used to but can't anymore. If you reached out to those people and just asked them, they would probably stream it more often. But again it bring up the original issues. Most don't want to pay for a game this old and why should they when there are free shards out there.

Drawing people to the game is great, but most wont come to the P2P shards.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the topic of video streaming, it's been part of discussions we've had and we'd like to get back into it we agree it's a very important way of engaging people. There are however some serious concerns we need to be conscious of. As Streaming has gotten more popular, so has the attention from copyright holders increased dramatically in the past couple of years.
This sounds like you guys trying to run your own streaming service? :confused: What's the deal with putting up some videos on youtube or twitch and just linking them on Stratics? Like every 14 year old does.

I mean, if there were 14 year olds making UO videos at all ;)

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sounds like you guys trying to run your own streaming service? :confused: What's the deal with putting up some videos on youtube or twitch and just linking them on Stratics? Like every 14 year old does.

I mean, if there were 14 year olds making UO videos at all ;)
It isn't easy to imagine a situation or scenario where somebody posting Ultima themed Youtube videos (to say nothing of Twitch!) would get any kind of a slap on the wrist for it. Far as I know, out of major video game publishers, only Nintendo is draconian, obsolete and weird about these things. Cases of something Old Republic related getting flagged makes some sense I guess; it is a huge mess of a Franchise with legal trail all over the place. EA releases a new Star Wars game and you got red tape from EA, Disney and prolly nice bundle of inherited [bcolor=rgb(16, 16, 16)]™ ©[/bcolor] headaches from Lucas Arts and Bioware to boot. Ultima on the other hand is is an ancient Franchise firmly at hands of EA so..yeah, nah. Imho any kind of a problem appears a hell freezes over type of a thing. I kinda have a feeling nobody here is even able to reach some EA entity in position to give an official " ok" for it.

I imagine it is difficult to make UO look like a lot of fun for somebody not playing it though. There are some sweet, unique moments like Fel Idocs going down that could really underline how unique the game is though. I just played a few hours and had a huge blast. Yet, I'm certain that nothing I did would be interesting to watch for anyone at all, heh. Then again, I don't get any of the charm in watching gaming streams in general, so what do I know,p

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry the copywrite thing comes off as just an excuse why this 20 thousand dollar website, bought by its members is really just bare-bones forums.

why not just bring back the streaming? it was fine. i really doubt anything would happen.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
sorry the copywrite thing comes off as just an excuse why this 20 thousand dollar website, bought by its members is really just bare-bones forums.

why not just bring back the streaming? it was fine. i really doubt anything would happen.
:facepalm: @Smoot I wonder why you don't just volunteer to help stratics instead of always being negative and bitter, your obviously smart and have great ideas... now you were banned and that could be why you changed your tone recently but it feels like this negative energy could be turned to good use. Don't you agree?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm: @Smoot I wonder why you don't just volunteer to help stratics instead of always being negative and bitter, your obviously smart and have great ideas... now you were banned and that could be why you changed your tone recently but it feels like this negative energy could be turned to good use. Don't you agree?
ive offered to volunteer in the past and was told i wasnt eligible.

Last edited:

Enziet

Journeyman
The issue I have with Twitch is that they wont shut down the F2P shard streams. I think it's terrible that yes the game is old, but they should still be honoring the rules put forth by the game.

They are altered clients running on non Origin shards. Last I checked that was still stealing copyright material.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This as got to happen or UO will keep on demising....yes i see a few new players BUT yes a see more and more empty housing - even on atlantic u can easily place a large tower or 1818....a year ago no way....so.......a few simple rules to FTP

free to play no house allowed with free to play and bank box that only holds 50 items is the way to go

if new player gets hooked he will soon outgrow the bank and pay for an account to hold a house...

Lest be honest it will only cost $9.99 for 90 days housing anyways

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and free to play would not lose the exsisiting players as they have houses crammed full of crap already and most have 3-6 houses rotating on the 90 day cycle paying just once a month but maintaining 3 accounts thus so....

so this FTP would not harm or hamper the exsisiting player base...only encourge more new players to try and maybe settle in our world

well it may hamper the events as more folks would maybe go....gets ready for some whinging why FTP cant work

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever, I'm still, after all this time, trying to figure out why recruiting new players and advertising UO is JC's job???
Not his job he just posted a lot of videos and twitch episodes as my link suggests would do the recruiting,

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The issue I have with Twitch is that they wont shut down the F2P shard streams. I think it's terrible that yes the game is old, but they should still be honoring the rules put forth by the game.

They are altered clients running on non Origin shards. Last I checked that was still stealing copyright material.

Not that I disagree with you, but If EA / Broadsword won't pursue action against free shards, then why is it on Twitch to police it? If EA / Broadsword wanted those streams shut down, all it would take is a inquiry to Twitch from them to have those users banned for infringement.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Way to late to police the game of BS bot hack 3rd party BS. Maybe have an in game payment method and account control. Oh wait, players like some site through site to an error page just to give up their money after making a phone call - FUN. IDOCers enjoy some near 2 decade old stashes on LS. I'm sick of jumping through rings of fire just to give them money. I get another "Hello my name is Steve - my Inrgrish not so good." makes freed up funds for beer or GO coins, maybe a new WOT tank. Can only fill so many BODs and get the same over decade old rewards before the Windows card games look just as good.

They need to figure out how to keep the players they have/had their claws in first. Easier task then blowing smoke up the arses of new players that wont be around in a few months. Take a lesson form PGo ....... tap screen thrice and money gone.

Johnny LeVene

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I work with new players all the time (mostly with young status and no subscriptions). They have a very difficult time making money because all of us older players have either enough gold, or stronger characters that can buy/farm whatever we want cheaply and have no need of any "insignificant" items that a new player would have. How long would you have to spend tailoring to be able to buy a crimmy? There is not much that new players can farm and sell to make money to gear them to take on bosses such as peerless. So, not enough money to get to a point where they can actually make money.

Another major issue is that EA/Broadsword has given up on the game. Have you ever tried calling EA customer support? They will tell you they don't support the game anymore. They are just taking in the money they can and letting it die. Got a problem with the account page? Too bad, no support provided. I know many players that have simply quit UO rather than jumping through the hoops to recover their account/password.

UO does have the most history for sure, but I'm not sure how many people (outside of these forums) care about that. New players don't remember the history fondly, they weren't there for that. And you can get more customization in other games like Anarchy Online.

The best thing about UO, imo, is that it still gives more options of things to do than any other game (i.e. customizing houses, player events, etc.). Unfortunately, unless new players actually try it, they'll never find that out. For an MMO, it has the best gameplay that most people will never know about.