• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Timed to Decay Event Drop Items

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Make EM events shard bound, keeps the nice shard deco in the place it should be, gives chances to all in the shard to get a drop.
If they wanna kill the problem, make it like the EM sashes, click here and get one, everyone gets one and everyone happy.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not to mention there is also the other option of not dropping anything and actually doing the event for the event in of itself.
Participation drops to almost nothing, the EM program ends up shut down, and a few whiners on Stratics get to feel really smug posting about how this never would have happened if all those dirty pixel-hoarders were as enlightned as them.

Seriously, people like money and chances at fabulous and valuable prizes. I know that morally offends some of you people, but that's just reality. I mean I hate to break it to you, but most of the fiction that gets crapped out for this game isn't actually that good anyway.

Also, there's never been such a thing as a guaranteed drop in this game ever, from any boss, so it seems a little silly to whine about what's "fair" in this particular case alone. This all sounds like hoarders and IDOCers mad that they can't own one of everything in the game.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, there's never been such a thing as a guaranteed drop in this game ever, from any boss, so it seems a little silly to whine about what's "fair" in this particular case alone. This all sounds like hoarders and IDOCers mad that they can't own one of everything in the game.
corguls sash is a guaranteed drop. one of the reasons its so cheap, and i would never ever actually do the content myself. ill just buy the item.

point being, if EM drops were high number clickies (lets say 5m each like other high number clickies) those who just want the deco would just buy the item rather than sitting thru a 1 to 2 hour event.

And this doesnt just apply to EM items. take blackthorns dungeon. Captains are extremely difficult. i actually did this content, and would still be doing it if the items were valuable / not as common. but as it is, since you can afk farm small mobs (appeasing those who wouldnt make a character capable of killing captains) the prices of those items has dropped so low that it negates the actual game content.

i will never do blackthorns dungeon again. ill just buy the item for 30m. 30m or 5 hours of my time? its not even a decision.
if events were all clickies / 100 plus drops, id probably stop doing 90% of events. Maybe just do the 1 shard with the best story (currently i play 24 shards for events)

and then many shards would not be able to have events at all because of such low turnout as you said. i dont think broadsword could rationalize paying any kind of hourly wage if its only 0 to 10 players at an event. Perhaps im wrong. (and yes on some shards there are between 0 and 5 homeshard players)

its even gotten to the point right now where im not doing events for the average, 100 to 175m drops. if i want those as deco id just buy them. im doing them for the small, about 1 out of 10 chance for the higher end drops that having to buy one would be a monetary inconvenience big enough to make me actually do the event myself.
im saying this as a player with above average UO wealth, but am by far not one of the richest (ive been taking in about 75bil annually the last few years. there are players who spend that in 2 months). those big spenders, the wealthiest in UO, do not do any events themselves. they just buy the items. if the drops become cheap enough, more and more players will be of this type and abandon actually doing the event because its easier and a rationally better choice to just buy the item.

The devs are treading a very slippery slope. theyve upped the numbers and made it extremely easy for to get these EM items, but are still hoping the rares collectors who only keep accounts open to collect these items will still do the events, or still actually want the items.

even most "average" items, most rares collectors dont even want at this point. which is fine, but its a decsion by the devs whether to keep the largest members of UO with many accounts, or the trade that paying customer in for a more casual player (in many cases 5 to 10 casual players if we're talking account numbers)

im fine with the EM system change, it lets a larger portion of the playerbase be able to experience getting, and owning these items. However it also means loss of players, or attendence, when its either easier to buy the drop for cheap because its so common, or so common that the serious collectors dont want the drop at all. Niether of which is good for the EM program.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its even gotten to the point right now where im not doing events for the average, 100 to 175m drops. if i want those as deco id just buy them. im doing them for the small, about 1 out of 10 chance for the higher end drops that having to buy one would be a monetary inconvenience big enough to make me actually do the event myself.
im saying this as a player with above average UO wealth, but am by far not one of the richest (ive been taking in about 75bil annually the last few years. there are players who spend that in 2 months). those big spenders, the wealthiest in UO, do not do any events themselves. they just buy the items. if the drops become cheap enough, more and more players will be of this type and abandon actually doing the event because its easier and a rationally better choice to just buy the item.
Stupid question here, but how do you know in advance which EM events to skip because the drop is going to only be worth 100-175 million?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stupid question here, but how do you know in advance which EM events to skip because the drop is going to only be worth 100-175 million?
i dont skip them, right now im doing them all.

im saying that if i did know this, or if all drops were only low value (as they would be if all drops were clicky/high numbers, or this timered idea) i wouldnt do the vast majority of those events.

as it is now, its just on the edge of worth doing. because to buy one of those 500-1bil new drops, or the older very expensive items, i need to sell 5 or more average drops.

even if those expensive drops get much cheaper, i wont need to do the events myself becuase i make enough gold in other areas of the game (only about 40% of my gold comes from EM items)

like many things in the game its a trade-off. the devs have moved the game overall to being more casual because they feel thats what the playerbase wants. if the devs decide its worth losing the amount of players / collectors like me, because they would gain more accounts from casual players who would like very low value clicky / momento drops then that would be a business decision for the devs.