• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Timed to Decay Event Drop Items

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Here's a what if; what if event awarded items were purposely timed to decay? Say...a month, or 6 months, or even a year. Would the debate regarding the drops subside, would the items retain some decent value? Would it help or hurt the economy?

Thoughts?
Cheers!

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
EM event participation craters down to like 12 people on a good day.

The economic activity spurred by the rares community shelling out billions of gold every time there's an event comes to a complete screeching halt.

The usual suspects on this forum act like this is great, because now they're the only ones showing up and they feel really catered to.

A few months later the EM program shuts down in disgrace because nobody at Broadsword can justify paying for a full event staff without the item-loving masses being involved.

The usual suspects on the forum act like this is completely surprising and couldn't possiblty have been forseen.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I concur with most of what Spock said.

Making them disappear because a portion of our population gets butt hurt for not getting a drop and then not being able to afford it in the immediate aftermath would be pandering of the worst kind.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I concur with most of what Spock said.

Making them disappear because a portion of our population gets butt hurt for not getting a drop and then not being able to afford it in the immediate aftermath would be pandering of the worst kind.
But then that's only half of the story. I don't bother not getting a drop (free millions). What bothers me is that they burn those ressources (paid EMs) to produce something that's available 0,006% of the time (1 hour ouf of 7 days). They should rather spent the time in deploying say 2 week long global events, with random bosses spawned in each say 6 or 12 or 24 hours. Accessible 100% of the time to each player. To fair for Mesanna I guess.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A few months later the EM program shuts down in disgrace because nobody at Broadsword can justify paying for a full event staff without the item-loving masses being involved.
With the now available money they finally put up some hours to design periodic global event content, accessible to every player regardless of timezone, family or work duties. Everybody is happy except "like 12 people".

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
It would make them worthless because nobody will buy something that will be gone after they buy it.
Here's another thought; what if a trade limit were added?
Say...trade limit '6'. Item is trade-able up to six times, after which it either becomes purely decorational and bound to owner in that fashion, or it then decays or poofs?

Many items in game already have durability, and we pay quite lot for them.

Cheers!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's another thought; what if a trade limit were added?
Say...trade limit '6'. Item is trade-able up to six times, after which it either becomes purely decorational and bound to owner in that fashion, or it then decays or poofs?

Many items in game already have durability, and we pay quite lot for them.

Cheers!
Almost all event items are deco only and the reason they maintain their value is because there are only a few that drop so collectors want them. The big ticket items right now are armor/jewelry items that serve a different purpose that some, not all, players want so they can have the biggest/baddest suit going.
BIG difference between the two.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
But then that's only half of the story. I don't bother not getting a drop (free millions). What bothers me is that they burn those ressources (paid EMs) to produce something that's available 0,006% of the time (1 hour ouf of 7 days). They should rather spent the time in deploying say 2 week long global events, with random bosses spawned in each say 6 or 12 or 24 hours. Accessible 100% of the time to each player. To fair for Mesanna I guess.
EM staff are hired as independent contractors for like twenty hours per month at minimum wage or something like that. For all intents and purposes they're volunteers, and the conditions of their employment are basically the bare legal minimum required to prevent a repeat of that ancient history counselor lawsuit. You could fire every last one and probably not save enough money for even a single full-time software developer's pay and benefits.

The EM system is fine. I know that for some reason a few kooks here are really bothered that most of the playerbase likes trading items and gold, but that's their damage.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EM staff are hired as independent contractors for like twenty hours per month at minimum wage or something like that. For all intents and purposes they're volunteers, and the conditions of their employment are basically the bare legal minimum required to prevent a repeat of that ancient history counselor lawsuit. You could fire every last one and probably not save enough money for even a single full-time software developer's pay and benefits.

The EM system is fine. I know that for some reason a few kooks here are really bothered that most of the playerbase likes trading items and gold, but that's their damage.
If there is no system in place, it would take developer to develop a new system. However, with Treassures of Doom or the Minax Invasion there are systems in place that are even more complex than those EM events (wait 45 mins, slay boss), so I doubt they had to reivent it from scratch. After that, I really dont see where a full-time job would be needed for it. They would just replace lore + monsters and maybe disable or add some dynamics randomly to spice it up.

As for your view on "a few kooks" vs. "most of the playerbase" in regards to which events are fine and which are less fine, you might read this thread: Input needed... What UO events where your favorites....

Your might also re-read the post you quoted from me for more hints about the "for some reason" :rolleyes: Well roared, lion!

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Frankly speaking this is a terrible idea and many people above already gave excellent reasons as to why.

One thing that would greatly improve events is to somehow cut down on the intense lag and instability. I know... Easier said than done. Also, EMs need to try and consolidate all players when the drop boss arrives (prob counters the lag issue previously mentioned). Annoying when minions drag players all over the place and then a group of ten players in the boss area get multiple drops. Or allow maybe somehow have killing minions credit players toward a potential drop so people dont just come from out of the woodwork and pop a fireball and somehow nail a drop. Or increase HP of main boss so it doesnt die in <1 min.

Overall the EM events are some of the more enjoyable aspects of this game when i get a chance to do em and though there are a few things that can be improved, suggestions like this would only piss people like myself off if implemented. This post was in no way intended to offend the OP btw. Ideas are always good and can yield other ideas from other players. Exclusive rare items are enjoyable to attempt to get and even if i dont get a drop.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
No, no, no, and no.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If there is no system in place, it would take developer to develop a new system. However, with Treassures of Doom or the Minax Invasion there are systems in place that are even more complex than those EM events (wait 45 mins, slay boss), so I doubt they had to reivent it from scratch. After that, I really dont see where a full-time job would be needed for it. They would just replace lore + monsters and maybe disable or add some dynamics randomly to spice it up.
Yeah dude any part-timer can develop new content for UO overnight at the drop of a hat, it's just that easy and the only reason content has taken as long as it has up until now is because everyone was stupid and waiting for you to point it out. Hur hur.

This was painful to read. You seem to think any old intern can just waltz in, copy OldEvent.exe out of a folder, change a few phrases, drop it into another folder labeled LiveGame, and bam suddenly we have content. You have no idea what developing for a 20 year old legacy system with a hundred previous developers and thousands of users is like.

Honestly it's ridiculous. The same small handful of complainers on this forum have whined about EM drops for years without actually managing to convince anyone that making drops worthless through whatever dumb plan they're pushing this month would actually benefit things, so now we've finally moved on to them advocating for the EM system to be scrapped entirely. Why? Because apparently those non-coders with a 20 hour per month schedule could totally be cranking out sweet content all the time but Mesanna doesn't let them because she hates freedom and justice.

It's a joke. Give up. Nobody cares how mad you are that you never get drops.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with EM events every single day on a shard somewere ... we will see event items evetually implode .... or maybe these 50 folks that UO caters for will just keep hoarding them and hoarding them... whatever... i for one dont give a monkeys toss...i collect UO nostaligia... ksara... each to the own.... u can only own a certain amout of neon monkeys and the like that nobody else wants to pay 1 billion for or 500m for or 250m for or 125m for or 75m etc etc etc etc

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
u can only own a certain amout of neon monkeys and the like that nobody else wants to pay 1 billion for or 500m for or 250m for or 125m for or 75m etc etc etc etc
This is my concern as well. I took a 'break' from UO for two odd years, came back and suddenly the game is jam packed with more 'rares' than you can shake a stick at. I enjoy/ed the rares market, though at this point I can honestly say I can take or leave them, however, (which surprised even me, having been a collector myself). I can see a potential for them becoming obsolete. Over saturation. No offense intended for anyone who collects, because I definitely understand that. Aren't the collectors concerned at all?
Cheers!

(And thank you folks, for being civil! :D)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been saying this for a LONG time... you can't keep flooding the game with all these "rares" and have them really be rare... they aren't... I'm sorry but you can only recolor and rename things so many times before it's "meh"....

Real rares IMO are old seer things and such were they are 1 of a kind.... or things where there were very few... and unique...

But the things that mean the most to me.... are ones that have some in-game memory with them... books or poems written by a good friend.... the hatchet that I have from the crafter I always used to visit in WB Smithy.... "Pork Chop Jesus"... he was always there... those things have meaning to me... the 15 different colors of lantern, or statue or painting... loses its meaning and everything when no one can remember what shard or event it was from or what significance it had in that event.

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I've been saying this for a LONG time... you can't keep flooding the game with all these "rares" and have them really be rare...
Point taken. With this in mind, wouldn't rares that eventually decay, or become untradable, help to keep rare items rare? For myself, I could see acquiring an item for a decorating project...keeping it for a decent amount of time, and then eventually redecorating or replacing it (with, say, a new item or project). I understand the attachment that can come with items as well, so I actually might rather prefer a 'trade' item limit which becomes ultimately tied to an account, or a property. Ultimately.

Cheers!

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been saying this for a LONG time... you can't keep flooding the game with all these "rares" and have them really be rare... they aren't... I'm sorry but you can only recolor and rename things so many times before it's "meh"....
Maybe calling them rares is a misnomer, but I don't believe UO rares will become simply "meh" in the near future. They are collectibles, and humans do sort of like to collect things. Examples:

-People still collect baseball cards and stamps despite there being lots and lots of examples and very few uniques.
-Tulipmania in the Dutch Golden Age where the desire for rare tulips caused real world economic problems.
-Certain collectible card games have cards valuing in the thousands, despite really being a 2.5x3.5 inch piece of cardboard, like every other card in the game.
-People are falling over themselves currently to catch little creatures in Pokemon Go.

I could go into the neurochemistry of how collecting things gives a dopamine hit to the brain's reward centers, but I think it is pretty obvious that humans do like to collect things, even when they don't have a sentimental or symbolic meaning.

Still, the current system is far from perfect and could use some tweaking. For example, a bit more variety might be nice with a few more rewards going to everyone and perhaps even a few unique items.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my concern as well. I took a 'break' from UO for two odd years, came back and suddenly the game is jam packed with more 'rares' than you can shake a stick at. I enjoy/ed the rares market, though at this point I can honestly say I can take or leave them, however, (which surprised even me, having been a collector myself). I can see a potential for them becoming obsolete. Over saturation. No offense intended for anyone who collects, because I definitely understand that. Aren't the collectors concerned at all?
Cheers!

(And thank you folks, for being civil! :D)
this has nothing to do with the number of events. its because the devs changed the system to exactly what casual players asked for. believe me, rares collectors DID NOT ask for this change.

if you ask the most respected collectors they would all like to see the items being "rarer". uniques and low quantity (5 or less).

The devs raised the number of drops, and also added the random points system (similar to doom arty drops) So yes, while its the same number of events, you see many more rares for sale because this is what casual players asked for.

EM items are by no means obsolete, the average items are very very low priced now (50 to 175m) so are available to entry level collectors. The "good" items still hold value at 300m to around 1bil, and yes it can be frustrating as a collector that i have to sell around 5 or more average drops to buy 1 recent more desierable drop. or shell out around 3bil (around 30 average drops) just to buy one older, highly desierable item. but again, this is what the masses asked for.

The system was not built for rares collectors. it was made how it is now for the casual player. which makes sense for the direction the devs have taken Ultima Online as a whole.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed, prices of event drop are becoming ridiculous... Thats the best way of dropping them price straight down
the average price of an event item is actually about 60percent lower than they were 3 years ago. take into account inflation, and they are about 80% lower than they were 3 years ago. so you can buy 5 items now for the price of what 1 item was. they are definitely NOT at all higher. much much lower in fact and more available to the casual player.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the average price of an event item is actually about two thirds lower than they were 3 years ago. take into account inflation, and they are about 80% lower than they were 3 years ago. so you can buy 5 items now for the price of what 1 item was. they are definitely NOT at all higher. much much lower in fact and more available to the casual player.
I hope they keep going down then... Its 0 effort and rewarding. Most people just attend the last couple minutes wod, cast colossus invis and get drops...

And here I'm mostly mentioning shard hoppers with no life and most of them come from the us servers and log 3:00-5:00pm while their events start at 3:00-5:00am eu timezone.

At least make the double clickable rewards shard bound! Its absolutely 0 efforts. Like those hued mesanna masks! Keep whats in atlantic in atlantic, and whats in europa in europa!

A pvp event drop for instance which is high efforts shouldn't be shard bound for example.

So more efforts (not shard bound) less efforts (shard bound)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its absolutely 0 efforts.
i totally agree. Again, its what the masses asked for and what the devs have decided to do with not just event items, but also the majority of the game. so i dont really see your point. yes, i preferred when EM events were extremely challenging but accept the fact that the game is more casual now.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A pvp event drop for instance which is high efforts shouldn't be shard bound for example.
we havent had a pvp event with a reward for years now (since EMs are no longer allowed to hand items to players directly)

if you consider any fel event a "pvp" event, they are actually much much easier than a normal pvm event. the last fel stealing event i just sat there not moving on 2 hidden thieves and waited for the EM to place the items. I got 4 items. the only time i have gotten more items than that is when Bennu did 7 bosses and i came out with 6 drops.

Specifically for Europa, i would think the posters sentiments about there being too many event items doesnt apply. Atlantic had 14 drops so far this year. Europa only had 4. perhaps the Europa EM agrees with some that there are too many EM items and thats why he hardly ever has a drop.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we havent had a pvp event with a reward for years now
So they must make more fel pvp events. Maybe its time for the broadsword team to start looking at UO's history when tram never existed, but also have a look at the most rated games on the planet on www.twitch.com and i hope they will come to realize that PVP is the top attraction for players and maybe stop turning UO into a pokemon game

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
But the things that mean the most to me.... are ones that have some in-game memory with them... books or poems written by a good friend.... the hatchet that I have from the crafter I always used to visit in WB Smithy.... "Pork Chop Jesus"... he was always there... those things have meaning to me... the 15 different colors of lantern, or statue or painting... loses its meaning and everything when no one can remember what shard or event it was from or what significance it had in that event.
Aww, you're so much deeper and more authentic and a better person than all those pixel-hoarders. Screw those crowds of people who show up to EM events looking to score an item, make some money, and keep the economy turning. The developers should just cater to you and the four or five other people on Stratics who make this their personal hobbyhorse. After all, you're so much more enlightened than the rest of us.

Is that what you're waiting to hear?

What a joke. If you guys are so convinced that the market for EM items is going to collapse any day now, maybe you should just sit back and wait for it to happen instead of posting new "Here is my stupid idea to ruin event items!" threads every week.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Event items should be given to every participant.
Hard pass. No participation trophies, please. This isn't youth tee-ball or Pop Warner football. None of this 'everyone gets trophy because we're all special little flowers' mentality is needed in a game where the average player is aged 30+.

I would prefer the market for EM event items stay as capitalist as possible - free to be transferred to any shard for any price that another willing buyer is willing to pay.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hard pass. No participation trophies, please. This isn't youth tee-ball or Pop Warner football. None of this 'everyone gets trophy because we're all special little flowers' mentality is needed in a game where the average player is aged 30+.

I would prefer the market for EM event items stay as capitalist as possible - free to be transferred to any shard for any price that another willing buyer is willing to pay.
They're participation based events in a video game, not major league sporting events. Rewards active players to give everyone the little trinket, not just the EM's favorite players or the one who lucked out and got looting rights

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is for house deco and looking at pixels. it has not been about more than that for quite some time now.
They're participation based events in a video game, not major league sporting events. Rewards active players to give everyone the little trinket, not just the EM's favorite players or the one who lucked out and got looting rights
so your saying UO isnt worthy of professional E-sport gaming?

List of eSports games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(and yes, Pokemon is on the list)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe once every couple of months they should have a clicky or something everyone can get... especially when introducing a new story line or running some type of global event - but certainly not every after event. We are not little children who need our egos filled with constant reward at every instance of participation. I personally feel the complaints of "EMs play favorites" or "so-and-so always get an item because they multi-box & script!" we often hear on Stratics generally fall on deaf ears.

I run no scripts, do not bring more than one account, and run a basic Mystic Mage Weaver that is fully capable of getting drops when I put my full focus and effort into an EM event. Is there a little luck involved to the extent of fighting one of the final bosses and being able to get in enough Word of Death's before others (or before getting killed by the uber-boss)? Sure... but that doesn't mean we should turn it into a participation trophy system either.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe once every couple of months they should have a clicky or something everyone can get... especially when introducing a new story line or running some type of global event - but certainly not every after event. We are not little children who need our egos filled with constant reward at every instance of participation. I personally feel the complaints of "EMs play favorites" or "so-and-so always get an item because they multi-box & script!" we often hear on Stratics generally fall on deaf ears.

I run no scripts, do not bring more than one account, and run a basic Mystic Mage Weaver that is fully capable of getting drops when I put my full focus and effort into an EM event. Is there a little luck involved to the extent of fighting one of the final bosses and being able to get in enough Word of Death's before others (or before getting killed by the uber-boss)? Sure... but that doesn't mean we should turn it into a participation trophy system either.
So what you're saying is you're one of the "haves" and dislike my change to make the "have nots" not be left in the dust because then you wouldn't be as special.

I mean, I knew that was what it was, but it's nice to hear you say it.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all pay subs, we all put effort in to the boss, we all get rewards.... seems simple enough. We all pay subs, we all put effort in to the boss, we all do not get rewards.... seems simple as well. We all pay subs, we all put effort in to the boss, only some get rewards... seems like a system that at the very least draws suspicion from those that dont receive rewards...

Point period end of the damn story. Pretty tired of seeing this thread pop up when the solution is so simple. everyone or no one. done.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
its too late but would like to see 1 to 3 drops only for events, no 10,20 40 or more, and only one char use per person, not 2 to 10. events use to be fun, too much candy, an event item used to mean something. now the greed has taken over. reminds me of whats happening in the real world today lol. just my opinions. I'm still amazed and wonder where the billions upond billions of gold have come from. I wont say trillions lol, yet lol

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you hand out drops to all participants they'll be completely worthless. We'll end up with threads demanding they be made worth clean-up points for throwing in the trash.

I know a couple of the local roleplayers/hoarders will tell you that's great and that they would TOTALLY cherish every last purple sextant and green fishsteak for their story relevance as they sit gathering dust in a chest next to hundreds of holiday cards and anniversary cakes, but let's be real: Those people are no more relevant than the kooks on this same forum who whined that vendor search would ruin the magic and exploration of wandering the world clicking on vendors.

We all pay subs, we all put effort in to the boss, we all get rewards.... seems simple enough.
There has literally never been any boss anywhere in the game that ever worked this way.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you hand out drops to all participants they'll be completely worthless. We'll end up with threads demanding they be made worth clean-up points for throwing in the trash.

I know a couple of the local roleplayers/hoarders will tell you that's great and that they would TOTALLY cherish every last purple sextant and green fishsteak for their story relevance as they sit gathering dust in a chest next to hundreds of holiday cards and anniversary cakes, but let's be real: Those people are no more relevant than the kooks on this same forum who whined that vendor search would ruin the magic and exploration of wandering the world clicking on vendors.

There has literally never been any boss anywhere in the game that ever worked this way.

hmmm should i go through all the clicky event items or the items that are 100 plus drops area that are worth a good amount of money? how many people do you think actually attend all events vs. the amount of people that play the game that would want an event item? Not everyone can attend every event. i guarantee there will still be a market for such items if its an everyone that heals enough or gets looting rights style of drop.

Not to mention there is also the other option of not dropping anything and actually doing the event for the event in of itself.

I do also believe that you can do both. You can do an event where no one gets anything and then the next event everyone that participates gets a drop. This is the most obvious, fair, easy way of doing things.

If EM events were a competition i could see rewarding certain players over others. But they arent a competition, they are a community building event. They are supposed to unite UO players not rip them apart.

At least that is my opinion.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
How about they eliminate the people multi boxing 6 characters thus freeing up more drops? If you are talented enough to play 6 accounts legally and get looting rights then kudos to you, but it's really upsetting when there are people blatantly doing the multi boxing and nobody cares. I'm actually surprised there aren't even more doing it since they have seen there are zero repercussions.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This does make a lot of sense. Games like Neverwinter/WOW etc have global events very often. I don't see a reason why the EMs couldn't create GLOBAL events and roll them out across ALL shards - with a whole bunch of EMs [how many is it now?] Each one could design one global event per month giving UO players LOADS of new content all the time [one per week even?]

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This does make a lot of sense. Games like Neverwinter/WOW etc have global events very often. I don't see a reason why the EMs couldn't create GLOBAL events and roll them out across ALL shards - with a whole bunch of EMs [how many is it now?] Each one could design one global event per month giving UO players LOADS of new content all the time [one per week even?]
Here is the problem with global events:

Most shards can't do a global event without all the other people from other shards attending. Think back to the last global event where some shards simply had to give up because they simply didn't have the manpower. There were a few shards that didn't have much of a problem and even some other shards that got it accomplished but it took hours. I think if they did different story lines on every shard this could work but most people aren't going to continue to do the same event on every shard for a minor few million gp reward. This is just my opinion on the matter...

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO is for house deco and looking at pixels. it has not been about more than that for quite some time now
Really? So what about PVP, Guilds, Housing (not just deco) and that's just to name a few. There's too much depth to this game to say it's just about the pixels, sure it's a big part but the game would have ended a long time ago if it was just about that

Here's a what if; what if event awarded items were purposely timed to decay? Say...a month, or 6 months, or even a year. Would the debate regarding the drops subside, would the items retain some decent value? Would it help or hurt the economy?
I think this would be a bad idea, everything seems fine the way it is right now. Adding more gold sinks and getting rid of cheaters/dupers with all their gold is the best way to fix the economy at this point

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? So what about PVP, Guilds, Housing (not just deco) and that's just to name a few. There's too much depth to this game to say it's just about the pixels, sure it's a big part but the game would have ended a long time ago if it was just about that

I think this would be a bad idea, everything seems fine the way it is right now. Adding more gold sinks and getting rid of cheaters/dupers with all their gold is the best way to fix the economy at this point
my point was that theres much better games for challenging pvm. UO used to hold a niche market with pvp but in recent years its also not unique in that market.

im speaking about what UO has that you can NOT find in other games. you can have a guild in any mmorpg. you can socialize in any mmorpg.

the only thing that UO has that still can not be found in other games is the vast ability to deco / collect / look at pixels (yes, this is highly based on housing as you said)

if your playing UO for pvm your playing the wrong game or just have an ancient computer, skill based template pvp is really better on the free shards, what we have left is collecting/deco/looking at pixels, and you put it all in your house. thats the only thing that sets UO apart now and retains that niche market. thats why the devs have put so much effort into the deco, and why we have a steady flow of easily obtainable event items to feed the people still playing because of this reason.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if your playing UO for pvm your playing the wrong game or just have an ancient computer
OR maybe i've tried the other games and came back like 3 times now! Something makes me come back and it's not just the pixels, it's the depth and the memories that make this game so unique and why people keep playing it. Is there better games graphically for PVM, sure there is... but they don't have the same feel as this game does and I have yet to find another game that has better housing than UO

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OR maybe i've tried the other games and came back like 3 times now! Something makes me come back and it's not just the pixels, it's the depth and the memories that make this game so unique and why people keep playing it. Is there better games graphically for PVM, sure there is... but they don't have the same feel as this game does and I have yet to find another game that has better housing than UO
i agree i play for the nostalgia / retro gaming feel as well (which is why i would never play EC) but for pvm i wasnt referring to graphics. i was refering to in depth, complicated boss encounters that require teamwork or precise combat. UO doesnt have anything close to this, you can solo just about everything, or do in a very small group but requires no coordination / teamwork.

im not expecting UO to have that in pvm. especially with the situation we have that doesnt allow for shard mergers (prevented specifically because of housing) so there just arent enough people for the game to be geared specifially to challenging group play.

In my opinion, and ive said it before, UO could have retained its niche status as a challenging, hard-core style PVP game, but that was lost when EA wanted to keep subscriptions high for the short term. However, appeasing that short-term crowd only benefited the game untill around 2008 or so, by the the competion from modern mmos was just to great.

Since there is very little competion in hard-core pvp gaming, subscriptions would likely be double what they are now if they only kept the pvp crowd (all trammies leave of course) This opportunity was traded for the short term higher subs before competition saturated that market.

i stick to my original statment that all that UO has that other games do not is a plethora of deco items, and housing to put that deco in. which includes EM items, and why putting them on a timer would be bad for the game.