• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Mastery: Consume Damage vs "Damage Taken"

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak @any other mechanics guru

So the new looting rights/event drop system relies on some behind the scenes formula using damage dealt, damage healed, and damage taken.

For purposes of this calculation, how does using consume damage impact the damage taken? Perhaps said another way... does the damage "consumed" by the mastery still count toward the damage taken total or just the damage the pet actually takes after the mastery?

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure why this question or answer would be Pandora's box.

Seems just as applicable to bosses like Virtuebane, Zippy, Exodus, etc as it would to events.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I mentioned Em Events as the main example, and really what this will link up, is to all the other threads about xsharders and the temps they use and all the abuse/exploit ect crap..... which i am not intending to bring in.
We know that drops are based on Damage done/damage taken to a certain degree.
If the devs where to say that the mastery runs with that formula, then pretty much they saying this is OP to any boss, as teh basic of the mastery makes the pet take damage and inflict even more damage, so that makes you already have more chances for a drop, as the whole formula is getting used in your favour. I dont know how to explain it correctly but I hope ypu get what I mean, somethings are best kept secret unless you want to see even more tamers at your next em event.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mentioned Em Events as the main example, and really what this will link up, is to all the other threads about xsharders and the temps they use and all the abuse/exploit ect crap..... which i am not intending to bring in.
We know that drops are based on Damage done/damage taken to a certain degree.
If the devs where to say that the mastery runs with that formula, then pretty much they saying this is OP to any boss, as teh basic of the mastery makes the pet take damage and inflict even more damage, so that makes you already have more chances for a drop, as the whole formula is getting used in your favour. I dont know how to explain it correctly but I hope ypu get what I mean, somethings are best kept secret unless you want to see even more tamers at your next em event.
No offense, but what you are basically saying is that the Devs should not explain an existing game mechanic because it might make someone want to use it. Furthermore, knowing how it works does not change the strength of the mastery in anyway...

I don't see any logic in that reasoning.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak @any other mechanics guru

So the new looting rights/event drop system relies on some behind the scenes formula using damage dealt, damage healed, and damage taken.

For purposes of this calculation, how does using consume damage impact the damage taken? Perhaps said another way... does the damage "consumed" by the mastery still count toward the damage taken total or just the damage the pet actually takes after the mastery?
I would assume it works as if your pet takes normal damage when it comes to looting rights (I'm not completely sure though, that's somewhat difficult to test)...

Reflect physical damage reflects even though attunement stops you from taking the damage. I'd assume it would be similar to that effect- The damage absorbed is still considered as damage taken that doesn't need to be healed.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consume Damage and Empowerment only absorb Physical damage. If the boss has a melee attack that does 100% Fire Damage or such, then Consume Damage and Empowerment won't absorb it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm curious - what is the mana upkeep cost at 120 animal taming / 120 animal lore?

I'm currently at 111 animal taming and 100 animal lore. I use jewels & taming mark of trav to get to 120 for pet control purposes, but I know that the modded up skill level doesn't affect the master. My mana upkeep cost for running consume damage at current level is 10. I was contemplating raising up lore to atleast 110, or both up to 120... but part of the answer for that depends on what mana upkeep cost is at those levels.

Any insight provided here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious - what is the mana upkeep cost at 120 animal taming / 120 animal lore?

I'm currently at 111 animal taming and 100 animal lore. I use jewels & taming mark of trav to get to 120 for pet control purposes, but I know that the modded up skill level doesn't affect the master. My mana upkeep cost for running consume damage at current level is 10. I was contemplating raising up lore to atleast 110, or both up to 120... but part of the answer for that depends on what mana upkeep cost is at those levels.

Any insight provided here would be appreciated.

Thanks!
At 120/120 I have an upkeep cost of 4, with 110+ Med - you don't need that much Med, but in the event I need to do a lot of casting, it lets me keep running the mastery while doing so. It's 3 on occasion as well, but that's due to Mana Regen ticks.

I would assume it works as if your pet takes normal damage when it comes to looting rights (I'm not completely sure though, that's somewhat difficult to test)...

Reflect physical damage reflects even though attunement stops you from taking the damage. I'd assume it would be similar to that effect- The damage absorbed is still considered as damage taken that doesn't need to be healed.
Yup, it's this. The pets still take damage, but they're also healed. The damage taken/given/healed is what determines whether you get looting rights. When the T-Rex was bugged on TC 1 to ignore pet damage, I had consume damage running, so I didn't need to heal. When it finally dropped I had looting rights, which surprised me - I knew about rights for healing & DOING damage, but not for taking it, pet or not.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At 120/120 I have an upkeep cost of 4, with 110+ Med - you don't need that much Med, but in the event I need to do a lot of casting, it lets me keep running the mastery while doing so. It's 3 on occasion as well, but that's due to Mana Regen ticks.
That's the problem for me. I am moving skills around and would like to get up to 120/120, but it will be at the consequence of less meditation. I'm estimating I will have 60 meditation and 23/24 mana regeneration if I make these changes. But... if the mana upkeep gets down to 4, I can probably deal with it as I am not doing a heavy amount of casting.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the problem for me. I am moving skills around and would like to get up to 120/120, but it will be at the consequence of less meditation. I'm estimating I will have 60 meditation and 23/24 mana regeneration if I make these changes. But... if the mana upkeep gets down to 4, I can probably deal with it as I am not doing a heavy amount of casting.
Yeah, I run bog standard mage tamer, pretty much. My luck suit has about 9 MR (I'd have to check) with 115 Med.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I am 120/120, No Med, 120 Focus, and I can run the mastery and I never lose mana, i gain mana if anything, have 22 Mana regen on suit.