• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard skill with jewelry as good as all real skill Barding?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seem to remember a player rampage wanting those who had all real skill Barding to be more powerful than the whimp Bards using jewelry skill points because they were to lazy to train all real skill Barding. Did they get their way on that? I'm thinking on going with 107 Barding and Mystic skills to free up enough real skill points to have GM Resist. as well instead of just six all 120 real skill Barding & Mystic skills.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Real skill & Modified skill are the same for the skill usage... It's the Mastery Songs that require "Real Skill" for the best potential bonuses/damage.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Real skill & Modified skill are the same for the skill usage... It's the Mastery Songs that require "Real Skill" for the best potential bonuses/damage.
amen brother, amen!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Real bards don't use jewelry....unless its got tons of MR on it :p

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You get 1 point per 10 skill points above 90. (and since the minimum requirements is 90, you automatically are starting at 2 points - one from each skill)
So from musicianship and your mastery skill you have up to 8 points.
Your secondary skills (other bard skills than your mastery skill) you get 1 point per 10 points above GM, so thats a potential of 6 points.
The weighting of those points vary by spellsong and may be a factor or exponential.
For example:
Inspire would be weighted at 2 per point of primary skills and 1 per point of secondary skills.
So thats (8 * 2) + (6 * 1) for a 4x Bard to HCI/SDI -> 22%
from the barding forum

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the Mastery Songs that require "Real Skill" for the best potential bonuses/damage.
Would keeping the 13 real skill points instead of going to jewelry make much difference in the mastery spell effects? Be worth not having GM Resist?

Real bards don't use jewelry....unless its got tons of MR on it :p
Got MR6 on his suit and he'd have 120 Focus or GM Meditation.

The weighting of those points vary by spellsong and may be a factor or exponential.
For example:
Inspire would be weighted at 2 per point of primary skills and 1 per point of secondary skills.
So thats (8 * 2) + (6 * 1) for a 4x Bard to HCI/SDI -> 22%

from the barding forum
Hmmm... Maybe I'll take the lumps involved in not having Resist. This and his Scrapper's Compendium's 25% SDI adding up would be nice.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would keeping the 13 real skill points instead of going to jewelry make much difference in the mastery spell effects? Be worth not having GM Resist?

Got MR6 on his suit and he'd have 120 Focus or GM Meditation.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll take the lumps involved in not having Resist. This and his Scrapper's Compendium's 25% SDI adding up would be nice.
I'm just curious what benefit you think you would gain from GM resist that can't already be countered by using 1 of the bard skills?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just curious what benefit you think you would gain from GM resist that can't already be countered by using 1 of the bard skills?
Main thing is I find being Paralyzed and getting ripped on annoying. That SDI boost could make up for that nicely. I'll take them all to 120 via RoT and see how it goes, I can always bring them back down later if I find I truly have to have Resist.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with 120 resist imps still paralyze and poison me.
so i don't consider resist to be worth much.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar mainly asks for our bi-monthly hunts on Siege. If we simply want to disco Corgul, Slashed or SD, 90 plus Jewelry would be enough?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar mainly asks for our bi-monthly hunts on Siege. If we simply want to disco Corgul, Slashed or SD, 90 plus Jewelry would be enough?
I've currently gotten Music to 120 and the others just shy of 110 or better with my current training monster requiring 144 barding. Dang things run around in that swarm of monsters at the Bog of Desolation which makes it interesting. :gee:

Corgul has a 160 barding difficulty and you have a 20% chance of Discord succeeding with 120 skill and an exceptional instrument per the Stratics barding calculator, with 115 Barding skills that chance drops to 5%, with 110 barding skills your chance is 0%. Real skill or jewelry is said to work the same other than for the barding masteries which require real skill. You'd want to go 94 real skill with +26 from jewelry.

Given the pita training is becoming with the monsters you have to play tag with, particularly needing two at a time for Provo, jewelry is tempting to say the least. :p

25 1/2 hours to legendary on Provo. Thank the gods for RoT! :D

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
yes.

the discordance SKILL and the discordance MASTERY are two totally different animals.
the SKILL you can use jewelry and the game does not know the difference.
so go 90 real and +30 on your ring and watch and your golden.

the MASTERY does know if your faking your skill.
you can use the mastery once you hit 90 but its usefulness or damage output is dependent upon your real skill.
so you can use it at 90 and you will get some benefit from it.
at 120 you will of course get a lot more benefit from it and a lot more damage output.

so if your friend has 94 real and uses a ring and watch to get up to 120 he will be good to disco critters but using the mastery he will be at the bottom tier for output.

and really, unless your friend has 120 med and a uber nice suit he's not gonna be able to run the mastery for very long as its a mana pig.
me personally on my Disco Tamer i never run the masteries as i have no med/focus.
my pure bard i run them all the time as he has 120 med and can put up with with mana draw.

(fades back into the Bard Forum Moderator Retirement Home from whence he came.)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've currently gotten Music to 120 and the others just shy of 110 or better with my current training monster requiring 144 barding. Dang things run around in that swarm of monsters at the Bog of Desolation which makes it interesting. :gee:

Corgul has a 160 barding difficulty and you have a 20% chance of Discord succeeding with 120 skill and an exceptional instrument per the Stratics barding calculator, with 115 Barding skills that chance drops to 5%, with 110 barding skills your chance is 0%. Real skill or jewelry is said to work the same other than for the barding masteries which require real skill. You'd want to go 94 real skill with +26 from jewelry.

Given the pita training is becoming with the monsters you have to play tag with, particularly needing two at a time for Provo, jewelry is tempting to say the least. :p

25 1/2 hours to legendary on Provo. Thank the gods for RoT! :D
Cheez tactic but if you throw taming on and take a CU and A boat and park it by Yamadon Point NW of the Wolf House and provo the Yamadon onto the CU you get the gain easy and your CU maxes healing pretty quick healing the poison. Just invis the Cu when you succeed and repeat.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Music, Discord, and Provo at 120, the hassle ones are done. Now
I Area Peace the rest of the month and get that one done while doing my crafting and gathering. :)

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I know this is slightly off topic but also links into this:

What skills have a real hard cap for them to work correctly or at their full power?

Any difference between 120 RS and GM RS with a +20 ring? or any other skill?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleeping Area Peace stops at 115.9. Back to the Bog every 15 minutes to Peace a Plague Beast Lord. *grumbles*

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try running the Bard Mastery spell. Cast it, wait 2 sec, cast again. Repeat....

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What skills have a real hard cap for them to work correctly or at their full power?

Modded skill = real for everything that doesn't use a mastery - the success chance/effectiveness at 120 modded is the same as real skill. Masteries require real skill for peak effectiveness/lowest mana cost for maintaining the mastery (bard, taming, parry.)

Using a mastery at 90 real won't be very effective, even if you've eaten a volume 3. And if it has an upkeep cost like Taming, the ability will eventually wear off because of the mana "bleeding" - at 120/120 real with 9 MR and a Taming 3 (2360 luck suit), my mana eventually runs out if I take med off - basically, I'll lose 1 mana every few seconds.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Modded skill = real for everything that doesn't use a mastery - the success chance/effectiveness at 120 modded is the same as real skill. Masteries require real skill for peak effectiveness/lowest mana cost for maintaining the mastery (bard, taming, parry.)

Using a mastery at 90 real won't be very effective, even if you've eaten a volume 3. And if it has an upkeep cost like Taming, the ability will eventually wear off because of the mana "bleeding" - at 120/120 real with 9 MR and a Taming 3 (2360 luck suit), my mana eventually runs out if I take med off - basically, I'll lose 1 mana every few seconds.
When you say 120/120 real - do you mean both taming and lore? Does Animal Lore affect the mana upkeep for the Taming mastery, such as when running Consume Damage?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you say 120/120 real - do you mean both taming and lore? Does Animal Lore affect the mana upkeep for the Taming mastery, such as when running Consume Damage?
Yes. I believe so, but haven't confirmed that it doesn't - I know Taming affects it since I ran out of mana with my Atl tamer @ 90 taming/115ish Lore (where my LS tamer with 116/120 did not.) I've actually been meaning to test how it works w/out Lore, but haven't yet thought of a way to do so w/out eliminating my control chance, since I wanted to do it in battle.

edit: ok. both taming and lore affect the mana cost. But they don't appear to affect the masteries themselves, at least as far as their effects go.

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More: Example- to go Twisted Wield and have a satyr discord you- invis- reveal immediately- aggro is broken, but you'll stay discorded. Area peace to your heart out- just make sure the satyr stays on screen with you.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it hard to believe that for say, 120 Parry is the same as parry 90 with a Heph shield to reach 120, but I will take your advise
It is and it isn't. Modded skill has no effect on the masteries, but it does for your chance to parry - if you activate Heighten Senses, Shield Bash, or Bodyguard at the bare minimum for a mastery (90), their effectiveness will be drastically reduced, and the mana upkeep for Heighten Senses will eat through your mana like it's a fat kid at the Cheesecake Factory.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Bushido.
but only in regards to using your lesser hiryu.