• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs, you want us to call this fun?!?!?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well we had the Ant Queen down to 1/3 life before the spawn just literally over ran us. Not sure I want to try that one again.

ya right.jpg

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not enough people controlling the spawn.

What shard's this on?

Reactions: S_S

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not enough people controlling the spawn.

What shard's this on?
Not sure what more we could have done. We killed what we could as fast as we could and lead off the rest. The warriors in there have about zero chance of being discorded or provod. The warrior spawn kept getting released from under her, not from the crystals. After getting her down to a third life we were fighting more spawn than we were her. Oh well....time to think of new ways to take her down.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well we had the Ant Queen down to 1/3 life before the spawn just literally over ran us. Not sure I want to try that one again.

View attachment 49061
That reminds me of the first time our group tried it. It was a complete disaster. But take heart, it can be figured out.
I had my best solo run yet yesterday... 3 accounts (no scripts or multiboxing!) and killed her in 12 minutes.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No I don't think they call that 'fun' I think that comes under the heading of 'ineffective tactics'.
Someone needs to let us know what tactics make this fun then... especially the comment "not enough persons to control the spawn" when the shard you are on has one other person in chat.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's okay...we can't get it done either... :/ killed her once the day it came to Origin and haven't been able to since.....and yes we've tried almost every tactic we can think of...things people have suggested here on the boards....the spawn just gets so thick and you can't control it....I have no clue what we are doing wrong but my sampire gets eaten alive trying to handle just the spawn...*frustrated*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah, I'll just buy the few things she has that I am interested in. Because my experience with her on two shards is that it is another job, and not a game, and not fun.
My tactics for this one will be:

1. Buy gold
2. Use gold to buy the drops I want.

Much much less frustrating that way, and I can spend my limited gametime doing things that are actually fun.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
yeah, I'll just buy the few things she has that I am interested in. Because my experience with her on two shards is that it is another job, and not a game, and not fun.
My tactics for this one will be:

1. Buy gold
2. Use gold to buy the drops I want.

Much much less frustrating that way, and I can spend my limited gametime doing things that are actually fun.
Mine is almost identical for when I am back.
Except it will be buy tokens at the origin store, sell them on ATL on the cheap, buy the drops I want, ship them to Legends.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a little bit of a discouraging thread. Our guild is trying to muster up enough people to try it but the most we can seem to get together is about 5-6 who have an hour or two at the same time. How many people do you need to have a shot at completing this? Most of us have the standard templates available, though the only two I have ready are a mystic/mage and a disco/archer. We're not professional players (i.e. it takes 3 of us to get through the pit) so that's part of the problem. ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be honest I have yet to try, however strikes me that a sampire or two could have a blast with ww. I use 120 parry and 60 dci in the terathan keep and can spam ww all day. The setup seems similar to that.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This wasn't designed for anyone but professional players, I think. Of course, there will be a dozen people immediately respond to this saying they soloed it and it's too easy...
Easy or hard can have a lot to do with circumstances...
Trying to cut down a large tree with a hand hatchet is going to feel incredibly unfulfilling... yet with a nice chainsaw you'll make quick work of it.

The first time our group tried this encounter it ended up like the OP picture. Overrun with spawn, people running around just trying to stay alive long enough to get their corpse... It was awful. At one point we all just said f'it and we left. Eventually we went back and worked slowly around the outer edge to clear out all the spawn and then tried the queen again. It was an ugly and brutal thing to participate in.
But we learned from the encounter. Personally I had some skills on stones that I swapped around and can now easily solo the encounter quickly and without dying. But it is because I pick the right tool and tactics for the job. I'm also sure that my way is not the only way... just the best way for me given what I had to work with.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Ok heres is my insight....

Its is very doable and especially if you keep to a tactic which seems you didnt..... took about 2-3 runs to figure a good tactic.
First of all, once the queen spawns the larvae, run around the area you are in and find the crystals in the floor and double click them, this will stop the larvae becoming bigger to the next stage as they eat the crystals and evolve..... avoid at all costs allowing them to become Warriors, or as you saw, you will end up fighting the spawn more than the queen.....

Our first run was done with 1 Archer, 1 Thrower and 2/3 Mages/sw AND It still was a blood fest..... here you really need someone to just cure constantly although they say the poison cannot be cured, well get a 120 Chiv/Anat/Healing with super high Karma and you heal 1 out of 3 on the 1st try (Bandie + Cure Poison), also please do not try to cure while in the puddle of acid, if wont work, you need to run passed the circle path that surrounds the queen.

Second run was just mages, also a couple of deaths, but we could see a pattern about killing the spawn 1st, especially in larvae form, which would allow us to focus on the queen more and it just basically spam spells at it.

Third run I did with a sampire, as long as could hit, even when poisoned I could stay alive and tank it a bit, once it sets all the spawn on you, you need to kill it before enganging the queen again. Here we had 2 deaths at most, mages where cautious of been too close to get deadly poison.

Times: 30min, 25min, 15-20min or less.

Thanks for your time

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The more players, the better. You need to assign people to fighting spawn, others to healing/rezzing, the rest to the queen. My guild has done it in a big group (10-15 people) a few times and even then we always have a few people who keep dying or struggle with the spawn. You need to coordinate and have a bit of a game plan before going in if you want to avoid chaos.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, thanks for the tips - I think this will be a challenge for our group, most of who are recently returned players and are still learning about the "new to them UO". It may take a while to get 10-15 of us together though, but it might make more sense than wiping with only 5 of us. Part of the problem we have is if our attempt is too frustrating it lessens the desire of people to try again as there are so many more fun things to do instead. We did manage to get through the roof encounter but some of us will never do THAT again. ;)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This wasn't designed for anyone but professional players, I think. Of course, there will be a dozen people immediately respond to this saying they soloed it and it's too easy...
It IS too easy, but I hated fighting the queen. So I decided to farm the crap out of Zippy instead. It's not too bad if everyone knows what they're doing & you have a dedicated spawn killer with the Myrmidex slayer suit. PS: @Kyronix, any plans to add the new slayer properties to imbuing, or will those take close to a decade like Fey Slayer did?

Not gonna lie, that (Maximum Carnage) was one of my favorite SNES games. Fairly quick to play through and moderately challenging.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It IS too easy, but I hated fighting the queen. So I decided to farm the crap out of Zippy instead. It's not too bad if everyone knows what they're doing & you have a dedicated spawn killer with the Myrmidex slayer suit. PS: @Kyronix, any plans to add the new slayer properties to imbuing, or will those take close to a decade like Fey Slayer did?

Not gonna lie, that (Maximum Carnage) was one of my favorite SNES games. Fairly quick to play through and moderately challenging.
Not at this time.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I haven't done this fight, so if that matters to you... stop reading.

I'm happy this thread was created and to me, this fight sounds exactly the kind of fun the UO game can provide. I'm sorry to those of you on less than populated servers, but reading through here I like the sound of an encounter you can't win the first time and have to revisit with friends. That actually does sound fun to me. I look forward to it.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
Someone on Baja claims* to have soloed the Queen (soloed, not multiboxed) twice, and was well on her way to doing it a third time when someone else showed up.

When interrogated, her advice was "Keep fighting until the Queen gives up."

Another person noted that the lesser myrmidexes have regular patrol routes. Before fighting the Queen, get rid of any other Myrmidexes that will notice you at the spot where you stand to fight the Queen, and ignore the rest.

*I don't believe everything I hear, but that doesn't stop me from repeating it.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Double clicking the raw moonstones really helps control the spawn. I was with two other people and would cast two EV's in the Queen's Area, then run around and take care of the raw moonstones and repeat. The spawn was almost zero in the area where I was running around.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure what more we could have done. We killed what we could as fast as we could and lead off the rest. The warriors in there have about zero chance of being discorded or provod. The warrior spawn kept getting released from under her, not from the crystals. After getting her down to a third life we were fighting more spawn than we were her. Oh well....time to think of new ways to take her down.
All the Myrmidex are released from the queen, the crystals cause them to get stronger, every one of them starts off as a larvae, if moonstone crystal fragments are nearby they turn to drones, and up to warriors.

Leading the spawn off is fine... until more people that don't know the spawn was lead off, end up bringing it back into the fight. The spawn will remain there for several hours carrying over to the next group(s) of people that fight the queen.

Darden's Armor (Myrmidex Slayer set) & a 70% hit area whirlwind weapon is probably the fastest and easiest way to clear the spawn, everything except the queen has really low resistances.

Fire/cold/energy weapon for the queen (*Fire if you have someone to corpse skin) double strike > AI if it's Discorded & Corpse Skinned.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
It's been tweaked. The mechanism that allowed soloing is no longer operating (according to the person who claimed to have soloed the queen on Baja). "The queen never gives up."

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The worst part of these quest chains is pushing back the other faction. Not fun at all.

Corpse is a beast. Typical asian though :)
Even the pit is pretty manageable once you get a good strategy. Takes me about 45 minutes or so using a bard. Not super fast, but between the pit and the other parts of the queen quest, I can get it all done and ready to fight the queen in about an hour... which is about what it takes to do shadowguard or collect a couple full sets of exodus keys.