• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online - I tried to become a new player

Bofong

Visitor
I am wanting to vent my frustration as a new, never played this game customer.. and why I think this game is destined for the trash can if they don't fix these simple issues.

I saw the game on steam and thought, wow if it has been around this long maybe they are doing something right? Well first off, kind of is bullcrap that they don't even offer the game as a DLC on steam, so why even bother have getting it greenlit. I then navigate my way to the website to find I can get a trial. Sign up... kind of I think? and start to download the client.

After reading I decided to go old school and try the classic, simple download, install and start up. It sits and starts updating and patching the client, now this is where I finally gave up.

The patching software would freeze and hang up through various phases. I had to force ably close the patching software and restart from ZERO three times. It had nothing to do with my platform or internet connection, it would just timeout or lose connection from their server.

I finally gave up and investigated further, it would seem im not the only one with this issues, MANY people on various gaming forums have complained about the lack of support, piss-poor design of the way they are offering the game to potential customers. It is 2016 right? Most people have a minimum of 50-100mb bandwidth capabilities why not just offer the whole game ready to go in one download/install and get away from this horrible patching crap right from the get go.

After trying support and trying email and trying EA I gave up and said ****-it. I looked on their site and this seemed like the most active forum for the game, hence my post here to bring some awareness maybe to who ever runs the game/show that they are losing potential customers.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are a lot of.... unique issues with UO. Billing, odd bugs and at times lack of support are issues, however downloading and patching issues are not unique to UO. To me, and I could be wrong, it doesn't seem like you wanted to play all that bad if you gave up because of a download issue. If I were really cynical I'd say you were a veteran poster under a new screen name for some odd reason. But I'm not, so I won't say that.

vasagi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot of.... unique issues with UO. Billing, odd bugs and at times lack of support are issues, however downloading and patching issues are not unique to UO. To me, and I could be wrong, it doesn't seem like you wanted to play all that bad if you gave up because of a download issue. If I were really cynical I'd say you were a veteran poster under a new screen name for some odd reason. But I'm not, so I won't say that.
I actually had written a response to him, almost identical to yours, and ended up not posting because I thought it was too cynical. ;) I don't believe him one bit (well the claims of being a new player and giving up because of a DL issue.) Pretty much everyone agrees there are issues with account management, bugs, and support.. however I don't buy the OP being a newbie.
Edited to add : and how how many "disgruntled" new players find stratics and then take the time to create a profile just to post how they are not going to become a player. I'm not drinking your grape juice.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I concur. If the original poster said he struggled with account management, I think we would all agree. But difficulty downloading the initial software and patching? We don't hear that one often.

@Bofong How long did these hang ups go on for before you tried contacting support and gave up?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can say in the past week I have d/l and installed/patched the CC on two brand new desktop computers with zero issues.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I saw the game on steam and thought, wow if it has been around this long maybe they are doing something right? Well first off, kind of is bullcrap that they don't even offer the game as a DLC on steam, so why even bother have getting it greenlit. I then navigate my way to the website to find I can get a trial. Sign up... kind of I think? and start to download the client.
UO is not on steam yet?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am wanting to vent my frustration as a new, never played this game customer.. and why I think this game is destined for the trash can if they don't fix these simple issues.

After reading I decided to go old school and try the classic, simple download, install and start up. It sits and starts updating and patching the client, now this is where I finally gave up.

The patching software would freeze and hang up through various phases. I had to force ably close the patching software and restart from ZERO three times. It had nothing to do with my platform or internet connection, it would just timeout or lose connection from their server.

I finally gave up and investigated further, it would seem im not the only one with this issues, MANY people on various gaming forums have complained about the lack of support, piss-poor design of the way they are offering the game to potential customers. It is 2016 right? Most people have a minimum of 50-100mb bandwidth capabilities why not just offer the whole game ready to go in one download/install and get away from this horrible patching crap right from the get go.

After trying support and trying email and trying EA I gave up and said ****-it. I looked on their site and this seemed like the most active forum for the game, hence my post here to bring some awareness maybe to who ever runs the game/show that they are losing potential customers.
(1) go and try other games. absolutely normal procedure. Others take days to install, really!(2) obviously, you didn't try hard enough to play UO ;)
(3) you have no idea what you are missing.
(4) I don't care
(5) good bye

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I concur. If the original poster said he struggled with account management, I think we would all agree. But difficulty downloading the initial software and patching? We don't hear that one often.

@Bofong How long did these hang ups go on for before you tried contacting support and gave up?
This entire post is nothing but a TROLL and should be filed away in the nearest trashcan.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A mod could work there craft and check IP addresses.....

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did a quick search on Steam for Ultimate Online. There were 4 search results none of which were Ultima Online. I think someone CRAFTED this thread.

Steam Search

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO doesn't 'patch' like CC used to years ago. Both clients download an installer, which in turn downloads and installs the client. The only time the 'patcher' runs is when they patch in new information for a publish.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think you're all being a bit too hard on this poster. I've actually heard similar things from a couple people over the last year or two.

To answer some people's concerns:
  1. Yes, it is possible to find Stratics as a new player without much effort, there is a link to it on uo.com under the fansites section. Fansites – Ultima Online
  2. You guys are right that UO is not fully on Steam, however it was greenlighted so it is still listed under their "greenlighted games" section or whatever it's called.
  3. He probably used the word "patch" because in the comments section of the Steam greenlight for UO, there are a bunch of oldschool UO players complaining about the game, and one of their complaints is saying how long it took to patch. Most of them are from the 1999 era. the OP could have seen that and thought it was the correct word to use.
Of course it is possible that it could be a regular poster who made a new account, but it's very possible it could be a legitimate new player as well.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think you're all being a bit too hard on this poster. I've actually heard similar things from a couple people over the last year or two.

To answer some people's concerns:
  1. Yes, it is possible to find Stratics as a new player without much effort, there is a link to it on uo.com under the fansites section. Fansites – Ultima Online
  2. You guys are right that UO is not fully on Steam, however it was greenlighted so it is still listed under their "greenlighted games" section or whatever it's called.
  3. He probably used the word "patch" because in the comments section of the Steam greenlight for UO, there are a bunch of oldschool UO players complaining about the game, and one of their complaints is saying how long it took to patch. Most of them are from the 1999 era. the OP could have seen that and thought it was the correct word to use.
Of course it is possible that it could be a regular poster who made a new account, but it's very possible it could be a legitimate new player as well.
Eh just click his name, it'll show the last thread he was in which was EM Events - rubble and server births.

If all the forums here that seems pretty specific to just happen upon, let alone have any interest in.

I call shenanigans.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is the link to the Greenlit section of Steam where you can find UO:

Ultima Online

I do question this lads experience though. Has he ever tried any MMO? Every one of them I've played always use some sort of patching/file check system when you first start the game. WoW has huge files to download before it's completely up to date.

Personally, I've never had an issue with patching. I've installed it on a new system I just built and an old HP Mini system. It just takes it's time getting all the files. Also, there is one file that takes a long time to download. Maybe he just didn't wait long enough?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try and install SWtoR and STO. You wil wait for the client for finishing patching for days!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did a quick search on Steam for Ultimate Online. There were 4 search results none of which were Ultima Online. I think someone CRAFTED this thread.

Steam Search
If thats a reference to me I'll happily let any mod investigate. If I have something to say about this game I'll say it from this account. Happily.

Enziet

Journeyman
It's probably something simple like anti virus software with a build in firewall, or even just firewall / router settings. That is usually the case. It is always faster and easier to just blame the developers though cause it's never your perfectly custom built system that you spent thousands on ;)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
omg make it worse ... wow, no wow wow wow! If you do not believe, do not reply. It is easy to find this site :(

I wish you well OP. And... all that he said has happened to people. It will continue.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO will hang up on patching, the massive amount of content is overwhelming......want some advice? Learn the virtue of patience, it's a long lost thing in this world of " I gotta have it now" Wait'll you try working up a skill.....this gimmie gimmie factor is why they sell advanced character thingys...........

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A mod could work there craft and check IP addresses.....
I believe there are only one or two people, at most, on the Stratics staff who have the ability to check IP addresses because of an agreement between Broadsword and Stratics to mask the IP addresses of the Broadsword people.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe there are only one or two people, at most, on the Stratics staff who have the ability to check IP addresses because of an agreement between Broadsword and Stratics to mask the IP addresses of the Broadsword people.
There are five people with IP powers. There is also no agreement like that between Stratics and Broadsword, however we do not use IP checks on any Broadsword staff members as a courtesy.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 weeks ago I down loaded 2d on my laptop thats about 7 years old on 2nd battery. No issue downloading and patching it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have actually had it hang up because when it patches I have to run the client in Admin mode or it just hangs there.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small years ago as Mods we use to be able to check IP address to catch Ban Evaders. Apparently, that is one more tool that has been removed from Mods. I was unaware they no longer had this ability.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@Tina Small years ago as Mods we use to be able to check IP address to catch Ban Evaders. Apparently, that is one more tool that has been removed from Mods. I was unaware they no longer had this ability.
This is most likely because a couple of the former mods were distributing bans among the masses as if they were candy.

Some deserved it, but a lot didn't.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, child. Welcome to Sosaria. I am going to give the same advice that I gave my own children, my grandchildren, my great-grandchildren, and very recently my great-great-grandchild, the birth of whom is why I am so drunk, however I'm not too drunk to have given her advice, and it's the same advice- oh but I repeat myself. Damn it! I'm hopeless! I'm just a no-good piece of used harbour trash! Anyway, I tell all my many, many, too many descendants one thing only about the gorgeous world of Sosaria: it is full of schlemiels, and with a bit of chutzpah and willingness to hustle any halfway intelligent person can take those schlemiels for all they're worth - which usually isn't much, in fact it's a downright rotten way to make a living and I don't recommend it. To all my children and grandchildren and so on I whisper in their ear at birth: "You will only succeed in life if you learn to perform major surgery on the battlefield." And I stand by that. I hope this helps you, sweet newcomer. Mazel tov!