• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online the movie

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with the World of Warcraft movie out, I was wondering do you think a movie based on the UO lore would fly?

Enziet

Journeyman
Oh of course. I don't know if it would reach the same numbers as the WoW movie though... It might accidentally surpass it :p

Wow introduced alot of people to gaming, and helped make nerds and geeks the "it thing" these days. But UO has all us old farts... The old Pen and Paper junkies, We may have alot less hair than we used to but we still game!!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I doubt it. Warcraft is tapping into a brand that's widely know across the world. Avatar created its own brand with a pretty novel story idea and 100s of millions in special effects. So sure it can done with the money to hire brilliant writers and special effects artists. So what you're really asking is for ideas on what the story line might be and what it might look like on screen? I don't have that kind of imagination.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Warcraft is said to be turning into a turd of a movie.

Now let's compare budgets.

I can only imagine UOs movie turning out to be some Blair Witch type movie with a couple of nerds dressed up in their mothers bath towels for capes swinging sticks for swords.

Going to pass on this one.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think if it were based on the Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar story, it would have potential.

But rather see it put into a movie, I'd rather see it put into a well written book first.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep but it would cost a fortune to produce and would have to be well written and actually have a plot. Picturing the Despise invasion of Brit on the big screen.

hungrymedusa1

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I see the UO movie as a documentary. Start with a little gaming and Ultima lore history, move into the glory days with some interviews with like Ima Newbie and the guy who killed Lord British. Move on to talk about the decline of UO and the rise of other MMOs, then end with interviewing some people who are left and *really* still into it like the person who has 50 accounts or whatever. I'd watch it.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh of course. I don't know if it would reach the same numbers as the WoW movie though... It might accidentally surpass it :p

Wow introduced alot of people to gaming, and helped make nerds and geeks the "it thing" these days. But UO has all us old farts... The old Pen and Paper junkies, We may have alot less hair than we used to but we still game!!
Well, depends on the location of the hair. Some places have less (head) others have morr (ears, nose, downstairs...)

Err... Forget about it...

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima prime, maybe. Ultima Online? There really isn't enough meat to it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We shall have a movie soon after we hire Chuck Norris to do commercials for us.
Anyone have his number?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's a glimpse of the upcoming Ultima Movie:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with the World of Warcraft movie out, I was wondering do you think a movie based on the UO lore would fly?
Like could they make a movie out of it? Sure, you can make a movie of anything. Would it be a hit? I doubt it. Ultima is not a healthy brand.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remind everyone of the schlockfest that was the Wing Commander movie...

Ultima and Wing Commander are set in the same universe...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I like the documentary idea. Tie Ultima Online and the history of tech changes between then and now and I think you would have an interesting story.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So.... which actor/actress would you want to play your main char?
Since we are UO we can fantasize who we think best portrays us!

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would totally buy tickets for my whole family to go see a UO-based movie...

But EA would probably not allow me to buy all 5 movie tickets at once, so I would have to buy them all on separate transactions. They would also likely promote the movie with a special sales price, but would promptly run out of tickets as soon as the sale started, so even though I would be willing to buy 5 tickets in a time-sucking single-ticket-per-transaction method, there would be none available until after the movie left theaters. And while I would also love to pay for all 5 of my family members to go see a sequel to the original movie, EA would likely cancel the production of the sequel due to the low turnout for the first movie, resulting from the fact that nobody was able to buy tickets.

So, at the end of the day, I would be forced to take my 5 family members to go watch a pirated version of the first movie at the local free-shar... er, free-theater.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the documentary idea. Tie Ultima Online and the history of tech changes between then and now and I think you would have an interesting story.
Wait.. so a documentary about how UO has steadfastly stayed entrenched in 1996? Maybe a mention on VH1's I love the 90's, but not a full documentary...

"In this screen grab, we see the wild PK in all their glory...tea bagging their latest kill mere moments before they and their entire guild are summarily banned. This species, now endangered, used to roam the lands in packs, stalking their doe-eyed prey..."

:devil:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait.. so a documentary about how UO has steadfastly stayed entrenched in 1996? Maybe a mention on VH1's I love the 90's, but not a full documentary...

"In this screen grab, we see the wild PK in all their glory...tea bagging their latest kill mere moments before they and their entire guild are summarily banned. This species, now endangered, used to roam the lands in packs, stalking their doe-eyed prey..."

:devil:
wouldn't that be "D03 3y3d Pr3y"

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I do. It's biased and unclear and while not a huge deal they should at least own up to it and say something, anything. This is very minor, but it happens all the time to people. Even UHall is moving slower than usual with all the moderation. I don't even expect an apology.. just a "Hey, my bad. We'll be more careful with our moderations."

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I do. It's biased and unclear and while not a huge deal they should at least own up to it and say something, anything. This is very minor, but it happens all the time to people. Even UHall is moving slower than usual with all the moderation. I don't even expect an apology.. just a "Hey, my bad. We'll be more careful with our moderations."
I do. I care. This isn't Off Topic.
The post being here is fine. The moderators saw and didn't feel it needed to be moved. There is no debate about it.

Please keep all future posts on topic of discussing a future UO movie/documentary. Thank you.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've requested the thread to be closed, as no talk about UO is really taking place.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shakes head*

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, what do you expect when the OP is not about UO anyway but a movie about UO?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Trailer Pre-Release. HD format hacked from Sony Pictures.

In Before the Lock....

Arcanis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possible titles for a movie.

1. UO: Revenge of the Mongbat
"Their back..and this time they mean business!"

2. UO: Dupers in Paradise
"Why earn it when you can burn it"

3. UO: The Idoc of Minoc
" It Will Be Mine-er So I thought....F****** SCRIPTERS!"

4. UO: The Shardgank Redemption
" Shankin-n-Gankin"

5. UO: The Good, The Bad, and the Buggy
" Kal-Ort-BANK!"

6. UO: Raising Cain-Be Fun
" Life of a Serial Rez Killer"

7. UO: Dude, Where's my X-fer Crap?!
"Page all you want, its gone!"...Shibby!

8. UO: Trolls, Trolls, Trolls
" The Untold Story of the Motley Crew"

9. UO: Gone With the Wind
" Life Without Blessed Insurance"

10. UO: True Lies
"Insert own experience here"