• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No it is not a cheat or exploit. Solen Hive.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So yesterday I was running powder and farming the ants as I tend to always do. A couple of non ant friends run into the queen chamber I am farming and about 40 warriors spit acid on them and their pets all at one time and melt the two players a GD and a Turtle to slimy little goo piles instantly. So I pop a random solen with a e bolt breaking friend and then drop 2 EVs and summon 5 liches from the queen corpses and kill off all the warriors, Rez the two intruders (No point in Rezzing them when the chamber is full of warriors) and get asked why I can kill the queens and not lose friend status to the hive. I explain it to them and that it is a perfectly legal tactic as no less than 8 GMs have been paged on me in the hive over the years, all concluding that I am well within the rules and not using a exploit.

So what is the tactic. A pro solen hunter is a legendary Necro/Spirit speaker and Mage for hunting Reds under ground you use the necro, for hunting blacks on the surface you use the mage side. Simply drop a vengful spirit on the queen and at legendary they kill the queens fast and the queens lay a egg or two in the process that pops a warrior or a worker. It takes forever for the queens to respawn if you kill the initial workers, if you don't the queen pretty much insta respawns. I usually fill the chamber 70-80 warriors and about as many workers from the queen eggs and then animate dead to wipe them out, collect the ZOOGIES, Gold, Gems and any decent splintering weapons and repeat the process doing the BOS quest along the way. I can pull about 150k-200k worth of gold and gems per hour in the hive and my best zoogie collecting hour was 3000 or there abouts that average varies depending on how many queens drop 25, warriors drop 13 and workers drop 6 have bad runs where everything drops minimums :) I do occasionally lose friend status from being to close to one of my undead when a queen or warrior spits and getting a acid burn breaking friends. You can do this with a mage and flame strikes if you have legendary Eval, Mage, GM inscription and max SDI and one hit kill the queen but just 1 hp from death and the whole chamber goes hostile.

I have been farming the hive as a necro since I discovered this shortly after the release of AOS and passed the tactics on to every ZOOG in ZOOG basic training :) I can't remember which DEV it was that popped into the hive many years ago to observe and said very creative use of the game mechanics and not a cheat since there is still risk as a queen spit on my skeletal warrior and melted me. The first time I discovered this I actually paged a GM on myself to make sure it was legal and within the rules.

So now everyone knows how I farm all those hundreds of thousands of ZOOGIE FUNGUS ;)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So yesterday I was running powder and farming the ants as I tend to always do. A couple of non ant friends run into the queen chamber I am farming and about 40 warriors spit acid on them and their pets all at one time and melt the two players a GD and a Turtle to slimy little goo piles instantly. So I pop a random solen with a e bolt breaking friend and then drop 2 EVs and summon 5 liches from the queen corpses and kill off all the warriors, Rez the two intruders (No point in Rezzing them when the chamber is full of warriors) and get asked why I can kill the queens and not lose friend status to the hive. I explain it to them and that it is a perfectly legal tactic as no less than 8 GMs have been paged on me in the hive over the years, all concluding that I am well within the rules and not using a exploit.

So what is the tactic. A pro solen hunter is a legendary Necro/Spirit speaker and Mage for hunting Reds under ground you use the necro, for hunting blacks on the surface you use the mage side. Simply drop a vengful spirit on the queen and at legendary they kill the queens fast and the queens lay a egg or two in the process that pops a warrior or a worker. It takes forever for the queens to respawn if you kill the initial workers, if you don't the queen pretty much insta respawns. I usually fill the chamber 70-80 warriors and about as many workers from the queen eggs and then animate dead to wipe them out, collect the ZOOGIES, Gold, Gems and any decent splintering weapons and repeat the process doing the BOS quest along the way. I can pull about 150k-200k worth of gold and gems per hour in the hive and my best zoogie collecting hour was 3000 or there abouts that average varies depending on how many queens drop 25, warriors drop 13 and workers drop 6 have bad runs where everything drops minimums :) I do occasionally lose friend status from being to close to one of my undead when a queen or warrior spits and getting a acid burn breaking friends. You can do this with a mage and flame strikes if you have legendary Eval, Mage, GM inscription and max SDI and one hit kill the queen but just 1 hp from death and the whole chamber goes hostile.

I have been farming the hive as a necro since I discovered this shortly after the release of AOS and passed the tactics on to every ZOOG in ZOOG basic training :) I can't remember which DEV it was that popped into the hive many years ago to observe and said very creative use of the game mechanics and not a cheat since there is still risk as a queen spit on my skeletal warrior and melted me. The first time I discovered this I actually paged a GM on myself to make sure it was legal and within the rules.

So now everyone knows how I farm all those hundreds of thousands of ZOOGIE FUNGUS ;)
Why would one want to farm this much zoogie fungus?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Because since LBR and the Solen came that is just what I do :) And they made me a whole lot of gold along the way ;)
Define "whole lot of gold."

Last I checked, zoogie fungus isn't exactly a high demand item. Especially on low populated shards.

Thanks for the tip though.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Define "whole lot of gold."

Last I checked, zoogie fungus isn't exactly a high demand item. Especially on low populated shards.

Thanks for the tip though.
Ahh but Legends was not always a low pop shard and ZOOG had branches on GL, ATL and Origin and no the ZOOGIEs are not high demand but the translocation powder still sells well at 45k per 100 Bags of Sending still move fairly quick at 30-40k 30 charged. Pulls out the UO Ledger...... And Since LBR I have pocketed 6,392,457,000 and some change from the hive. And another 7,000,000,000 give or take from other activities. So I have only farmed up about 14 billion gold since UO went live :( Course I am not exactly a power gamer and pro gold farmer either.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now picture a guild with 25-40 members with fungus farmers, powder runners and the vendor brokers that dominated the powder market for 6 years solid. My 6.39bil cut is just a fraction of the overall gold generated from the hives.

Course I spent it all on cute NPC girls, the pubs and Dicing.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire Elementals work well for killing Solen Queens without losing hive friendship as well.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tyrath, dare I ask what this amounted to on Siege? Total gold wise?
Not much at all on Siege maybe 200 mil over the years. Running powder on Siege takes a lot longer having to run all of the way out of the hive to gate. Helps having a house in the middle of the vesper ants with a tile to another house right beside one of the hive holes though. I do friend people to those two houses that want to use them for farming zoogie and running powder. And the Tsuki Garden House is public on Siege with a nice big porch and soul forge to unravel the junk right above the porch so you can unravel from the steps. I think I have a public commod deed box there as well and a crystal portal.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire Elementals work well for killing Solen Queens without losing hive friendship as well.
Problem with mage summons is you can't control them so they tend to get melted or kill the initial worker slowing the queen respawn to a crawl. And by control I mean order them or a pet to kill. And commanding a summoned to follow you gets you melted because the ants still go hostile on the summoned critter.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only problem is: This sound terribly boring she done for years ;)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's actually not bad, I used to do it dozens of times to restock vendors. The mindbender is doing the colored seed hive quest. I did it 200 times over a week or so for a friend in trade for a huge pile of imbuing ingredients she had... upload_2016-6-11_7-5-8.gif

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's actually not bad, I used to do it dozens of times to restock vendors. The mindbender is doing the colored seed hive quest. I did it 200 times over a week or so for a friend in trade for a huge pile of imbuing ingredients she had... View attachment 48824
No doubt about that! The brain ceases to function after 25 seed runs on Siege.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really it can get quite challenging once the chamber starts filling up with warrior and workers on Siege. It gets to be so packed you literally can't move.