• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unique Names

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wont use other people's names because I have been told before I cant do that. I however did have to change my name due to bad problems and that doesn't go over well when your a Scribe with your name on every book.

Today I am going to talk about the last week in UO on Atlantic. Anyone that plays there I'm sure are aware of a certain person who enjoys impersonating anyone at any time.

I have watched him run off new players and get people to move to dead shards. Tonight I had to defend myself against him at Britain bank while a Mod here on Stratics told me he impersonates me during the day when I'm not on. He also tried to scam someone out of a Slither today using the Mod's name.

Not only is this bad for us as individual players, it is bad for the game. I say we need Unique Names. Unique Names to save this game is needed now.

I know we have account# by our name but no one pays attention to those. I watched this person impersonate 7 people last night alone just by making an S s, switching an a & e etc and so on. Unique Names Please!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, we don't need unique names. Furthermore, there are enough overlapping uncreative names that all you'd do is raise hell from every Drizzt or Raistlin, not to mention those of us who have multiple characters the same name for whatever reason.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think unique names could be helpful as well. Although I'm not sure how that would work, considering there are already multiple people with the same names. Someone would be forced to change their name either way, which would most likely upset people.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's the # .... the number should NEVER change... no matter what their name is or what they change it to or what shard they transfer to that number before their name in chat should NEVER change...

If you watch you can see that number write it down... it shouldn't change.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is why you should always have a guild tag showing, so the person would have to be in your guild to display the same name + title...
Unless you have guilds where the letters and numbers look identical.
The person she is talking about does the impersonations in general chat 90% of the time where no guild tags are visible. Usually with trial accounts too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The person she is talking about does the impersonations in general chat 90% of the time where no guild tags are visible. Usually with trial accounts too.
Lame the kind of things people do to "make a buck" and it just sickens me...

Also scammers and folk like that are the ones that are responsible for driving away countless players... and we wonder why people HATE UO and won't return...

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had an idea but those are not Unique either. My idea was have the Guild Tag beside the name in Gen chat. I agree with the idea of unique names. Yes, the change over could cause some issue but if done right could go off pretty well. To Quote John Lydgate:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

John Lydgate

There would be mashing of teeth, swearing by some, but i think most would be understanding. Most poeple actaully have unique names. Those that don't either caught up in a fad movie, book, comic book, etc or have neferious plans.

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The names with have to be unique in the chat channel. This person makes trial accounts as they boasted they have 10 atm. They hide so the you never see them. The Guild tag ect I agree with but if you can't see them you dont know. maybe if the guild tag was added the to the Players names in the Chat Channels? Just came up with that. Good? Yes!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly people pretending to be other people is nothing new. Its been happening for years and years. About 3 years ago when I decided to play multiple shards, I just completely retired my Giggles name. People need to contact me through icq or other means to find out which ridiculous named character I might be on lol. Now if you see a "Giggles" in the game I can assure you.. its not me at all =)

But I do understand how frustrating it can be to people who have a great deal of reputation behind their in-game names. It just really boils down to buyers needing to be smart when placing trust in a name. Look for a guild tag or contact them through icq. Also people need to be smart and realize that if someone spewing nonsense out of their normal behavior in general chat, its probably not the authentic person.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Making guild tag show in chat could be an easy fix.

Unique names would also make it possible to use the old GM/Counselor Tell command. The Tell command did send a message to a char, the char number was used for it.

Maybe bring back the old friend list, so if you add a player to your friend list and the list will show name, guild and char number. If the player are on, he will be green in the list unless he had changed his setting to not show him on.

If you wanted to send him a message, you click at the letter icon at the name and you can write the message if he is online.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trial accounts should have a T before or after the Characters number in chat. Once the 14 days are up the T disappears once the trail account is purchased.
Trial accounts can only use 'help' chat, so simply asking the supposed trader to enter another chat will stop him. General chat, or most appropriately, trade chat?

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trial accounts can only use 'help' chat, so simply asking the supposed trader to enter another chat will stop him. General chat, or most appropriately, trade chat?
I thought so to when I went to look up what trial accounts are able to do I didn't see anything about chat on that list. I had to google the list I couldn't find it at UO.com.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The time to institute unique names has long, long since past. There would simply be no equitable way to determine who should have what name, other than seniority...which I'm betting would be somewhat onerous to code. Also, what of people who have several characters named the same thing on house-owner accounts and the like?

Adding guild tags to chat might sound like a good idea, but that already tends to be a wall of text as it is...I don't think we want to add more. You can already see the character ID when someone speaks, so just keep good notes. Or, as has been stated, contact well-known names through ICQ (no, not ideal, I admit).

Beyond that, the best thing we could hope for is a working friends list or functional in-game mail system. You know, the things EVERY OTHER MMO HAS. :eyes:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In hindsight unique names would probably have been a better system, although its probably too late to undo the current system at this stage of the game. Black Desert Online has an interesting system where when you create an account you pick a family name. This is the surname of all of your characters on that account and is unique. When you create characters on the acccount you give them a forename to go with the account surname. It works well.

As for UO its a case of 'buyer beware' and you should take whatever steps necessary to safeguard any transactions, as others have stated. With a little due care and attention you shouldnt get scammed.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO NO NO I have a whole lot of toons named Tyrath and most certainly am not interested in changing them. All of my Tyraths names either sport the PERV or ZOOG guild tag. Just look at the Guild tags as a last Name Tyraths of the PERV's or Tyraths of the ZOOG's. Now back to PERV'n along singin my song dreaming of wacky ZOOGIE Land :)

hijii

Visitor
I personally love scammers. I remember back 2001 or so I had FINALLY saved up 100k and. Someone offered to sell me a all tower for 100k.

I jumpe on I sinc they were wrth doub that. I I it, it, lo and beh I bought a blank scroll. Ba , , day day house deep loo like like blank scroll.

I cried, I pleased, I page page gm... oh t agony!

Oddly enough, that wa on of my best memorie ingame too.

I admire scammer becaus o their ingenuity.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would have loved to have had unique names from the very beginning. However, as others have already said, it's really too late now.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make Unique names the way it has to be from here out.
Grandfather in existing names right now.
No char can be created from this point on with a name already taken.
No name change token can be used to change a name to one already taken.

attrition will do the rest.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make Unique names the way it has to be from here out.
Grandfather in existing names right now.
No char can be created from this point on with a name already taken.
No name change token can be used to change a name to one already taken.

attrition will do the rest.
NO It is way to late to even start it now. Alls it will do is piss the norm player base off and it will not stop scamming. Common sense will stop scamming, IE it is called using your head when doing trades. I know that may be hard for some but not all, LOL.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like the surname idea or a master account clan or tribe name that is unique and shows behind the overhead name. IE Bill of The Fire Eater Tribe/clan. But it would not stop scamming. I allowed myself to get scammed one time back before I made a Carpenter and looked up the renowned Woody of Moonglow on Legends. Only the Woody I found was not Woody it was an imposter. It was a big order so I handed the fake Woody a 1 mil check and waited and waited and waited and then waited some more. Then started camping Woody's shop on glow. Finally Woody appears to stock his Vendors and has no idea what I am talking about. It hit me then that I had been had. The real Woody hooked me up with the lock boxes and potion kegs and life went on. Back then 1 mil was a large amount of gold LOL. Never got scammed again after that. Lesson learned and fortunately a real stand up guy helped me out in making it good. Hated seeing the day Woody's Moonglow shop was not there anymore :(

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I caught the scammer impersonating me in action today. I also know what their real ICQ number is and have a rather lengthy transcript of them admitting that they are the scammer to me in ICQ (while also asking for my help with their scams). Currently they are trying to impersonate me and Nails Warstein on Atlantic. I am happy to provide both their icq number and the transcript upon request.

Please note that this picture and information does not violate any Stratics rules since no specific details are given, and the picture is not identifying as it is simply a copy of my name. I am the real Norrington in blue.

This person claimed he has had the name Captn Norrington since 1998, when in reality the Pirates of the Carribean movie that created the name did not exist until 2003. I caught them in multiple other lies publicly as well, at which time the person ICQ'd me saying he knows "5 GM's" as a threat I suppose. As I type this he is saying he will buy UO and ban me. People like this are the leeches of UO who destroy the community.

I just wanted to share what impersonation looks like for those who have never had it happen to them personally.

This happens to some of us on a nearly weekly basis.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I caught the scammer impersonating me in action today. I also know what their real ICQ number is and have a rather lengthy transcript of them admitting that they are the scammer to me in ICQ (while also asking for my help with their scams). Currently they are trying to impersonate me and Nails Warstein on Atlantic. I am happy to provide both their icq number and the transcript upon request.

Please note that this picture and information do not violate any Stratics rules since no specific details are given, and the picture is not identifying as it is simply a copy of my name. I am the real Norrington in blue.

This person claimed he has had the name Captn Norrington since 1998, when in reality the Pirates of the Carribean movie that created the name did not exist until 2003. I caught them in multiple other lies publicly as well, at which time the person ICQ'd me saying he knows "5 GM's" as a threat I suppose. As I type this he is saying he will buy UO and ban me. People like this are the leeches of UO who destroy the community.

I just wanted to share what impersonation looks like to those who have never had it happen to them personally.

This happens to some of us on a nearly weekly basis.

View attachment 48697
Giving him an A for effort with the GMs and buying UO. There was a Norrington on LS last night, which I was informed today was not you. Think he wanted to transfer stuff to Atl; I was in the middle of a Zipactriotl run/getting keys for it (I didn't have anything to go anyway)

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do like the surname idea or a master account clan or tribe name that is unique and shows behind the overhead name. IE Bill of The Fire Eater Tribe/clan. But it would not stop scamming. I allowed myself to get scammed one time back before I made a Carpenter and looked up the renowned Woody of Moonglow on Legends. Only the Woody I found was not Woody it was an imposter. It was a big order so I handed the fake Woody a 1 mil check and waited and waited and waited and then waited some more. Then started camping Woody's shop on glow. Finally Woody appears to stock his Vendors and has no idea what I am talking about. It hit me then that I had been had. The real Woody hooked me up with the lock boxes and potion kegs and life went on. Back then 1 mil was a large amount of gold LOL. Never got scammed again after that. Lesson learned and fortunately a real stand up guy helped me out in making it good. Hated seeing the day Woody's Moonglow shop was not there anymore :(
Oh man, I really miss Woody of Moonglow. In fact, my first house was completely decoed in Woody stuff. I have a robe from his 5th year anniversary of his shop. There a few Woody imposters.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone using a name from media really say someone else also using it is using "their" name?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can anyone using a name from media really say someone else also using it is using "their" name?
The OP brought to light a pretty important issue. Now while their original solution was probably not feasible we did end up with a pretty darn good solution from this post. Funny how that works when folks are more interested in solving the issue than being a :troll:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The OP brought to light a pretty important issue. Now while their original solution was probably not feasible we did end up with a pretty darn good solution from this post. Funny how that works when folks are more interested in solving the issue than being a :troll:
The only solution in this thread is leave it alone

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fix is:

If a player is on ur screen:
-single click "who's" or "qwery"
(Unique Name will pop over his head)

In general chat:
-(unique name)(gandalf): hi

So the unique name could replace the number for example, as it is much memorable

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh man, I really miss Woody of Moonglow. In fact, my first house was completely decoed in Woody stuff. I have a robe from his 5th year anniversary of his shop. There a few Woody imposters.
We had some great ones on Legends Woody, Runes To Go, Lady Pheonix, Tov and Dai AKA Timeless Treasures, a pretty long list actually. Miss them all even the ones I didn't like LOL