• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Store will Ruin PVP...

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
VvV or not, Red or not... if you are not flagged and fighting, all have to do is run to the moongate, click help, then click store and you now become invisible and unattackable.... Fix this ASAP!!!!!

@Mesanna

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It's not a bad idea, just not well thought out from the pvp abuse side of things... everyone will use an exploit if you give them the opportunity...

everyone at yew gate is "Squelched" from the uostore... i will be stepping away till a pub can fix this...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's not a bad idea, just not well thought out from the pvp abuse side of things... everyone will use an exploit if you give them the opportunity...

everyone at yew gate is "Squelched" from the uostore... i will be stepping away till a pub can fix this...
I had this immediate thought, so I went to a dungeon to see if I could hide.

I didn't think about moongates.

Better fix would be to remove guard zones in fel.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had this immediate thought, so I went to a dungeon to see if I could hide.

I didn't think about moongates.

Better fix would be to remove guard zones in fel.
Umm make it like the search window. now that would be a great idea.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I don't care either way, I just want it fixed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
VvV or not, Red or not... if you are not flagged and fighting, all have to do is run to the moongate, click help, then click store and you now become invisible and unattackable.... Fix this ASAP!!!!!

@Mesanna
I feared this would be the case, I was posting in the Pub 93 asking if it could be abused, guess I was right, there is an issue here.

What about in an active VvV town, is that considered guard zone?

Also a fight between VvV players in Siege/Fel towns, this could be abused I fear.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

@Mesanna
I'm an unashamed Trammie - and my PVP skills are non-existent. But this tactic is just plain BS. As noted Devs should have thought on this one. Two if it was discovered on TC and reported, why wasn't it fixed? Was it discovered on TC and NOT reported?

This is really a totally wrong move by anyone. Yeesh. <shakes head>

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm an unashamed Trammie - and my PVP skills are non-existent. But this tactic is just plain BS. As noted Devs should have thought on this one. Two if it was discovered on TC and reported, why wasn't it fixed? Was it discovered on TC and NOT reported?

This wasn't on TC1, Origin, Baja or Izumo to test. Not a single bit of the store was available for playtesting, hence the unknown and idiotic issues at launch. It is 100% a failure on the dev's part...one that happens nearly every time something untested gets punted out. You'd think this lesson would have been learned by now.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There was no opportunity for average players to test the store on TC. It went live to all shards just yesterday. Who knows if it might have been available prior to that to people who might have had a special version of the client to use for testing.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

@Mesanna
And the difference between this and them recalling to their house and log out is?
What am I missing here? Why will this ruin PvP?

With that said, if there is an issue I hope they fix it.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And the difference between this and them recalling to their house and log out is?

Why do you even post.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have to agree with Tjalle, if not flaged, it's not a big issue, that they can't be attacked as running from a player, no mattter of color, who want to kill you are not really PvP but PKing.

My consern would be if someone fighting (attacking or fighting back) could run to moongate or town and access the store and be safe. I had not tested if that is possible. Mainly the rules for house fighting should work, if you can't access a house, can't recall, because of flaging, you should not be able to access store at town or moongate.

A PK or Noto PK missing a target is no big problem IMO.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well you see if you're minding your own business and can escape from them attacking you out of nowhere it's NOT FAIR NOT FAIR I WANNA KILL YOU *STOMPS FEET*

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So why not just answer my questions?
I will even repeat it for you. Why will this ruin PvP?
Let's use a pvm analogy.

Say you're fighting Medusa or some other peerless etc, you have them half life or even nearly dead, and then all of a sudden they hide and back to full life once they pop out again.

Now imagine all of them doing this just because they can.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aye, so far I´m with you but it was the "not flagged and fighting" part I was wondering about. In the same scenario they can just recall away, right?
If so, how will it ruin PvP?

Here´s how I see it (and tell me if I´m wrong):
Player A attacks player B and B runs to a moongate and does the store-hiding. Player B is now out of reach from player A.
Player A attacks player B and B recalls away. Player B is now out of reach from player A.

If both those examples are correct then nothing has really changed and PvP is the same as it was before.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The main difference is that going invisible cannot be stopped. I can small spell you to death, and if you go protection, paralyze.
Only way to beat that is 4/6 chiv with resist.

I fought 3 people yesterday that went into a house. I fought 4 people who went into moongate and went to another town. I fought 26 people who used the store... That's the difference. Just because you have a house or can recall out, doesn't mean everyone uses it.

But even that's beside the point. You are arguing what's the difference... So you want more ways and you want to allow UO to give more opportunity for people to get away?

Plain and simple, all exploits get removed eventually. UO got greedy and pushed something they didn't test...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Is it faster to to go in the store, than jump in the moongate and choose an other town?

Maybe an easy thing like a 5-10 sec delay to go in the store will stop the abuse.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This wasn't on TC1, Origin, Baja or Izumo to test. Not a single bit of the store was available for playtesting, hence the unknown and idiotic issues at launch. It is 100% a failure on the dev's part...one that happens nearly every time something untested gets punted out. You'd think this lesson would have been learned by now.
It wasn't. Because they clearly don't care, and I believe they have said as much in the past - maybe not directly, but their actions speak loud and clear.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not arguing, asking. And I don´t want anything, again, just asking questions.
Your points are fair though, Scott. Thank you.

But still, claiming it will ruin PvP is a bit over the top.

A 10 sec delay like Freja suggested sounds like a simple fix. As long as it´s only in Fel the delay is activated.
Until then, fight elsewhere. There´s more in Felucca than just a moongate... ;)

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Agreed- mostly I posted that like a news headline- to get much needed attention.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I fought 3 people yesterday that went into a house. I fought 4 people who went into moongate and went to another town. I fought 26 people who used the store... That's the difference. Just because you have a house or can recall out, doesn't mean everyone uses it.
So in 1 day you have had more than 33 PvP encounters because my bad I am assuming that it was more than 33 and you atleast got some fighting in. That good that in less than 24 hours you had so many fights and people thought PvP was dieing or maybe Scott is the only one who knows where to go to get a fight. Sounds to me more like 33 failed PK attempts.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
So much trolling... I do not have a pk'er- no need to explain myself.

EDIT: cause I know someone is coming along to troll this too... I do not have nor do I need to have a res killer.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it faster to to go in the store, than jump in the moongate and choose an other town?

Maybe an easy thing like a 5-10 sec delay to go in the store will stop the abuse.
Or make it like the Vendor Search drop down where you have to be in a safe log-out spot.

Reactions: S_S

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or make it like the Vendor Search drop down where you have to be in a safe log-out spot.
The places where you can use vendor search and the in-game store are identical. The difference is that your character is automatically hidden when using the new in-game store (and pops out when you leave it). Your character doesn't automatically hide/pop out of hiding when you use vendor search (unless something's changed for that with the latest patch).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The places where you can use vendor search and the in-game store are identical. The difference is that your character is automatically hidden when using the new in-game store (and pops out when you leave it). Your character doesn't automatically hide/pop out of hiding when you use vendor search (unless something's changed for that with the latest patch).
So can you use Vendor Search at a moongate or down in a champ spawn? Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to be in a safe log-out spot to use them.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
easy solution to all this could be to simply get rid of hiding you while visiting the shop. The character is still attackable, can be stolen from etc. but every item he purchases comes in token form and is blessed until redeemed.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So can you use Vendor Search at a moongate or down in a champ spawn? Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to be in a safe log-out spot to use them.
No but it do not put you in a mode, where you can't get attacked. The Store is more like going in customize mode, when building a house, you can't interact, attack, be attacked or even move.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
easy solution to all this could be to simply get rid of hiding you while visiting the shop. The character is still attackable, can be stolen from etc. but every item he purchases comes in token form and is blessed until redeemed.
It really is not much diff from old way to add a code to the help menu and get an item, I too don't understand why it was made so you can't interact. If attacked, just cancel the store. Not sure why they choose to make it this way.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This! Why is the shop not like Char Transfers where you have to be in safe log-out location. House, Tavern or Inn. Common sense goes a long way...

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
exploit confirmed, you can still enter the store when criminal (not falgged)

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For both the store and vendor search, your character has to be either (a) within a guard zone or (b) within a house where the character's security access is friend or higher. The only difference I see between the two of them is that using the store automatically hides and immobilizes your character while using vendor search does not.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For both the store and vendor search, your character has to be either (a) within a guard zone or (b) within a house where the character's security access is friend or higher. The only difference I see between the two of them is that using the store automatically hides and immobilizes your character while using vendor search does not.
So if they made this like the Xfer System, you have to be in a safe log-out spot would this fix the problem?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just confirmed also that if your character is in a house where it is at least a friend and hides before using vendor search, the house owner (and possibly also friends and co-owners) can detect that character and pop it out of hiding. However, if the character instead uses the store and thus is automatically hidden and immobilized, using detect hidden to find that character in your house does not work, even for the house owner. The character trying to detect the store-using character gets the message about carefully checking the house and finding no hidden people.

Edited to add: If you log out a character that is using the store, when you log back in with that character, the character is no longer hidden or using the store gump.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
However, if the character instead uses the store and thus is automatically hidden and immobilized, using detect hidden to find that character in your house does not work, even for the house owner.
That's really bad, as a house owner always should be able to detect and kick chars in his house.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if they made this like the Xfer System, you have to be in a safe log-out spot would this fix the problem?
  • You can only access the in-game store at a safe log out location such as an Inn or your house ( using the skill Camping is not considered a safe log out location).